Battle of the Presidents - Second Term

This is the place for self-contained forum games

Moderator: Zaxxon

Moliere

Battle of the Presidents - Second Term

Post by Moliere »

Is there enough interest in running another election campaign? Depending on how many people sign up I would like 2 Democrats to start with a possible 3rd via conversion.

GAME RULES:

The Republicans:

Teddy Roosevelt: Can pick a player to protect every night against Democratic attacks. However, Teddy cannot protect the same player two nights in a row, but he can protect himself. The protection does extend into the daytime, meaning he can protect a Republican from Jackson's attack. The protection is also effective against a conversion. Teddy also has an additional ability to instantly kill any player of his choosing. This ability can only be used once during the game and will out the hunter's identity to the village.

Ronald Reagan: Can tell who is acting and therefore sees whether someone is D or R of any ALIVE player.

Abraham Lincoln: One-time power (instant) to resurrect any player. Using this power will out Lincoln to the village. If Lincoln is converted he can resurrect a fellow Democrat.

Regular Republicans = everyone else

The Democrats:

Democrats can PM each other (or use a private forum). They pick one Republican to ambush per night. There are three kinds of Democrats:

a) Bill Clinton, through his personal charm, can at any time during the game, pick one Republican and convert him to a Democrat. This will convert the Republican member into a Democrat (no special abilities) and join the Democratic Party. The conversion is effective against specials retaining their powers after being converted. The conversion is not effective against Roosevelt , however, nor against anyone Roosevelt is protecting. Clinton only has one chance at a conversion, but will not be outed regardless of its outcome.

b) Andrew Jackson has the ability to take down any Republican before being shot for treason. In other words, if he is found guilty of treason he will take one Republican with him - unless the Republican is being protected by Roosevelt. This Kamikaze action works even if Jackson is killed instantly by Roosevelt instead of found guilty of treason.

c) The converted Democrat has no powers unless it is Reagan or Lincoln. This type results from a successful conversion by Clinton.

Miscellaneous:

Republicans can NOT PM any other player regarding the game.

Democrats CAN PM each other.

Players can edit their posts during the game in progress, however if you edit your post, you MUST give an explanation of why/what you edited.

Dead players can NOT participate in the game - this includes providing information, encouragement, tips or otherwise. Dead players are eligible to ONE post following his death. This one post follows the same rules as before - cannot influence the game, and so forth.

Voting for treason will close as soon as majority is reached.

Voting can only take place in the daytime. Any votes made during the night will not be counted.

You can retract and change your vote at any time up to the close of the vote.

The game will begin at DAYTIME.

There will be a TIME LIMIT for Specials to send in their PMs. The time limit will be 48 hours after the posting of the treason decision (NOT after the voting closes) on weekdays, and 72 hours if any of the 24 hours falls on Saturday or Sunday. There is a one week time limit for the treason vote.

Specials CAN pre-emptively send in their actions during the daytime for the following night. Specials are allowed to change pre-emptive actions unless it has already been resolved.

Turn order during the night:

Reagan scans;
Roosevelt protects;
Democrats attack.

Roster
1) RevHempus71
2) Isgrimnur
3) RMC
4) Vorret
5) theohall
6) Chaosraven
7) Semaj
8 ) bb2112
9) Scoop20906
10) El Guapo
11) purge
Last edited by Moliere on Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:36 am, edited 7 times in total.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
RevHempus71

Re: Battle of the Presidents - Second Term

Post by RevHempus71 »

I'm in. 

Sheesh...... May I please get out of the corner now???? I promise to behave........
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

I know everyone just finished a game, but I am hoping this theme and complexity will garner some interest.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I'll bite.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
RMC

Post by RMC »

I am in. :)
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
Vorret

Post by Vorret »

In
Isgrimnur wrote:
His name makes me think of a small, burrowing rodent anyway.
theohall

Post by theohall »

IN
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

In
"Where are you off to?"
"I don't know," Snufkin replied.
The door shut again and Snufkin entered his forest, with a hundred miles of silence ahead of him.

Sweet sweet meat come. -LordMortis
tru1cy

Post by tru1cy »

Thanks for the invite but I'm going to pass but I will enjoy reading like I did with Scoop's current game
xbox live gamertag:Soulchilde
triggercut

Post by triggercut »

Afraid I'm going to have to pass on this for the time being. Work is hammering me.
"It's my manner, sir. It looks insubordinate, but it isn't, really."
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Too many people are putting their real life ahead of playing another forum game. I've asked everyone I could think of to play so this might not be happening.
Semaj

Post by Semaj »

I can join IN...
Some claim to be things they aren't.
Some claim things they don't deserve.
Some claim to know more than they ever will.
I don't claim anything, because no one would believe the truth anyways.
bb2112
End of Days
Location: Knowledge! It is almost as important as money, luck, and family connections.

Post by bb2112 »

In
That's no reason to cry. One cries because one is sad. For example, I cry because others are stupid, and that makes me sad.
Why would I stab an Oracle? Wait, what am I saying? Why wouldn't I stab an Oracle? - Belkar Bitterleaf
BCY4920 - You can suck it Johnny Angel.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Once soccer season ends in April, I should have more free time. Right now I'd be one of those players that pops in for an hour every night and that's just not fair to the ones that are playing.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

I'll play.  IN 

Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

eh, what the hell - haven't done one of these in a long time. I'm in. I mean, in. I mean, in. I mean,
Spoiler:
in.

I'm a little rusty here.  in 

Black Lives Matter.
bb2112
End of Days
Location: Knowledge! It is almost as important as money, luck, and family connections.

Post by bb2112 »

Where is Remus? He should be signing up just for the opportunity to kill me...
That's no reason to cry. One cries because one is sad. For example, I cry because others are stupid, and that makes me sad.
Why would I stab an Oracle? Wait, what am I saying? Why wouldn't I stab an Oracle? - Belkar Bitterleaf
purge

Post by purge »

I don't follow American politics. Are elections this interesting?
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

That makes 11 people. With 6 specials would everyone agree that we need the recommended 14 people to start the game? Or should we simplify this game and play with the 11?
RMC

Post by RMC »

purge wrote:I don't follow American politics. Are elections this interesting?
Sometimes... But in a different much more boring way. :)
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
RMC

Post by RMC »

Moliere wrote:That makes 11 people. With 6 specials would everyone agree that we need the recommended 14 people to start the game? Or should we simplify this game and play with the 11?
We might want to make it a little more less special intensive with only 11. With 6 specials that means that we are over 50% special. <shrug> But I am game either way. :)
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

RMC wrote:With 6 specials that means that we are over 50% special.
This is 'Merica! We're all special.

I am reluctant to simplify so my vote (if I get one) is to play with 11 if no one else signs up by Tuesday.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Over 50% special and you invite a mass outing on day 1.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Remus West wrote:Over 50% special and you invite a mass outing on day 1.
Who has the advantage to out themselves on Day 1? Other than instant kill by Teddy and charm by Clinton all the powers happen at night.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Moliere wrote:
Remus West wrote:Over 50% special and you invite a mass outing on day 1.
Who has the advantage to out themselves on Day 1? Other than instant kill by Teddy and charm by Clinton all the powers happen at night.
If the village outs all the specials and over 50% are then known they have a lock on winning.

Also, although I'll follow along, I can't play as I just do not have time right now. Sorry. I'd like to play. :(
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Remus West wrote:If the village outs all the specials and over 50% are then known they have a lock on winning.
I don't see how the village can out any specials on day 1. Remember, Clinton can charm anyone except Teddy at any time without being outed. And Teddy can't protect until night 1. Only 3 out of 11 are Republicans and only 1 of them is guaranteed to always be a Republican.
stessier

Post by stessier »

They don't have to use their powers, they just have to claim a role. Only contested roles are the wolves. If there are no contested roles, then all the wolves are in the Villagers and the Specials are now Trusted. If they are 50% or more, the Village can't lose.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
stessier

Post by stessier »

Note: The above is general information - I hadn't read these rules.

You don't really have 6 Specials. You have 2 Specials.

The Village = Republicans (9)
The Wolves = Democrats (2)

Of the Village, we have Specials Teddy, Reagan, and Lincoln (3). So there are 7 Villagers, 3 Specials, and 2 Wolves with a possible conversion.

That should be fine at 11 people.

Edit: Whoops, Missed Reagan. That resurrection power might be too much for this game even with a conversion.

Lincoln proves not only himself but also adds in his trusted Resurrection. That's tough to overcome for the wolves unless they convert him on the first try.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Gaming this out, I think the mass outing happens on day 2, right, because of Lincoln? Since we're starting at daytime, the village votes on a lynch, then there's a nighttime kill (unless blocked by Roosevelt). Day 2 Lincoln uses his resurrection power. Roosevelt and Reagan out themselves, that's four trusted out of 11. Except that they're not really trusted since any one of them besides Roosevelt could be converted night 2.

So doesn't seem like a huge issue unless I'm missing something (which is possible)?
Black Lives Matter.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Hmmm, I don't know.

Teddy - Protection and Shot
Reagan - Rep or Dem
Lincoln - Resurrection

Clinton - Convert
Jackson - Mr Splodie

Question = The text indicates Clinton and Teddy can convert and shoot at anytime. Is this true? Can the conversion happen during the day? Can the shot happen at night?
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

stessier wrote:Question = The text indicates Clinton and Teddy can convert and shoot at anytime. Is this true? Can the conversion happen during the day? Can the shot happen at night?
Charm can happen at any time (does not out Clinton). Teddy's shot can happen only during the day (outs Teddy).
stessier

Post by stessier »

Then I don't see one surefire winning strategy (although I'm far from an expert, so don't take my word for it :D). I have some theories that might be fun to discuss, but that's probably best left the the players.

Hope you don't mind me trying to break your game. :)
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

stessier wrote:Then I don't see one surefire winning strategy (although I'm far from an expert, so don't take my word for it :D). I have some theories that might be fun to discuss, but that's probably best left the the players.

Hope you don't mind me trying to break your game. :)
I'm happy for your input and would be even happier for you to play. :wink:

I tried to make a complex game that was still balanced. My favorite aspect is Clinton's charm at any time. It makes everyone a suspect. :ninja:
purge

Post by purge »

Wait!

The republicans are ... the heroes?

:ninja:
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

purge wrote:Wait!

Yes, just to tweak Democrats on OO. :wink:
bb2112
End of Days

Post by bb2112 »

Ikr. Not that the Deomocrats are great heroes either but at least they are not the evil Empire.
purge

Post by purge »

Is this going to get the thread moved into RnP? ;)
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

purge wrote:Is this going to get the thread moved into RnP? ;)
If it gets Rip and Fireball playing I would move it. That way I can make Rip a Democrat and Fireball one of the Republicans. :tjg:
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

Moliere wrote:

Yes, just to tweak Democrats on OO. :wink:
:shock:
Maybe that's why the signups been lackluster?
:o

I mean Clinton is hero afterall.
Bayraktar!!!!

Trump and the GOP; putting the banana in our Republic.
RMC

Post by RMC »

Moliere wrote:
purge wrote:Is this going to get the thread moved into RnP? ;)
If it gets Rip and Fireball playing I would move it. That way I can make Rip a Democrat and Fireball one of the Republicans. :tjg:
I would pay money to see that... :)