Marvel Heroic Roleplaying - Age of Ultron

This is the place for self-contained forum games

Moderator: Zaxxon

IceBear

Marvel Heroic Roleplaying - Age of Ultron

Post by IceBear »

So I have never actually run this game system, but thinking it might be fun trying to run some people as the Avengers through an Ultron event.
Isgrimnur

Re: Marvel Heroic Roleplaying - Age of Ultron

Post by Isgrimnur »

I'd be interested.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Is this managed by you via the Forum or do I need to own something too?
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

It would be run similar to how I am running my Dungeon World game. You'd pick a hero, I would give you a link to the data file and then you'd make decisions for that character. You would roll dice using a remote website
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

If you don't mind a noob then I will play.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

I would be a noob too as I never have played or run it before. BTW, I found a player cheat sheet here:

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&source=w ... pj2uCg71Tw
bb2112
End of Days
Location: Knowledge! It is almost as important as money, luck, and family connections.

Post by bb2112 »

I'd be a noob too, but I would give it a whirl
That's no reason to cry. One cries because one is sad. For example, I cry because others are stupid, and that makes me sad.
Why would I stab an Oracle? Wait, what am I saying? Why wouldn't I stab an Oracle? - Belkar Bitterleaf
BCY4920 - You can suck it Johnny Angel.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I would also give it a try (as a n00b).
Black Lives Matter.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Ok, going to try running a small scenario between Spider-man and Rhino here both as a way of understanding the rules myself and to show those interested how it plays. Also, need to see how feasible it is in this medium. Expect mistakes.

So, the characters are:

Spiderman
Spoiler:
Enlarge Image
Stress:
Plotpoints: 1
And Rhino
Spoiler:
Enlarge Image
Stress:
As this is a normal scene, the Doom Pool will start with 2D6
Spoiler:
Doom Pool: 2D6
Last edited by IceBear on Fri May 01, 2015 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Might I suggest the use of the bigimg tags?
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

The Scene
Spider-man is swinging downtown, when he hears a crash from the vicinity of a nearby bank. Landing on the wall nearby he sees the Rhino emerging from the bank with a sackful of money over his shoulder. The citizens nearby scream in panic and start to flee
Scene Distinctions: Crowded city street, sack of money, panicked citizens
Spider-man, knowing how tough Rhino can be decides to try and rattle the Rhino. "Hey chuckles! Aren't you lost? The petting zoo is down the street!" he quips as he shoots some webbing into Rhino's eyes to add insult to injury
So, Spider-man is attacking Rhino's emotional stress. Referring to the sheet here I will build Spider-man's dice pool:

Afflication: 1d8 (solo)
The Wisecracker distinction seems to apply here, so 1d8
His Spider-Powers don't seem to apply, but Web-Slinging does, so another 1d8
Since he's trying to tick off Rhino, his specialty of psych expert does apply so another 1d8.

I could use a plot point to add another d8 from With Great Responsiblity comes Great Responsibility Distinction, but I will save it as it's my only one.

So, my dice pool is 4D8. Rolling:
Spoiler:
_: 4D8 = [2, 2, 4, 7] = 15
I need to add two of them to get my total, so I'll take the 7 and the 4 for 11 total, and I'll use one of the die that shows a 2 as the effect die, or d8
Now, as the Watcher, I need to oppose that roll as the Rhino, so now I build Rhino's pool:
1D10 from Solo
I will take a 1d4 and add a D6 to the Doom pool for Dumber Than Rocks as he tries to puzzle out the petting zoo comment.
I will also add a 1D6 from the Doom Pool (which leaves the Doom Pool at 2D6).
Total: 1D10+1D4+1D6
Rolling:
Spoiler:
Rhino: 1D10+1D4+1D6 = [6]+[4]+[2] = 12
I use the 6 from the D10 and the 4 from the D4 to get a total of 10, leaving the 1D6 as the effect die
Since Spider-man's total (12) is higher than Rhino's total (10), Spider-man's verbal sparring inflicts his effect die worth of emotional damage to Rhino (D8)

So, after Spider-man's action:

Spider-Man:
No Stress
1 Plot Point

Rhino:
D8 Emotional Stress

Doom Pool:
2D6
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

stessier wrote:Might I suggest the use of the bigimg tags?
Instead of spoiler? I thought I did use bigimg on spider-man (though I thought the Rhino one was small enough for regular img
stessier

Post by stessier »

IceBear wrote:
stessier wrote:Might I suggest the use of the bigimg tags?
Instead of spoiler? I thought I did use bigimg on spider-man (though I thought the Rhino one was small enough for regular img
Rhino was breaking the margins...I didn't check Spiderman. They look great now though. :)
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Yeah, you were right, I was just judging the size based on them in my editor, but even Rhino was too big in the forum
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Now it's the Rhino's turn.
"Puny bug! Rhino crush you!" He rips the webbing from his eyes and attempts to smash Spider-man through the wall he's currently stuck to
Rhino's Dice Pool:
1D10 Solo
1D8 from Unstoppable
1D10 from Superhuman Strength
1D8 from Combat Expert
Total: 2D10+2D8
I could use the Doom Pool to add more but I only have 2D6 to work with so I'll hold on to them.

Rolling:
Spoiler:
Rhino: 2D10+2D8 = [5, 10]+[3, 4] = 22
I will use the 10 from one of the D10s and the 4 from the D8 to get a total of 14, and I'll use the other D10 (the one with the 5) as the Effect die
Now Spider-man builds his pool:
1D8 for Solo
1D8 for Power/Responsibility Distinction (he's got to stop the Rhino from hurting anyone)
1D10 from Superhuman Reflexes in Spider-Powers
1D8 from the Web-Slinging Weapon power (using his webbing to try any slow down the Rhino)
1D10 from Acrobatic Master
Total: 3D8 + 2D10
Spoiler:
Spider-man: 3D8 + 2D10 = [5, 1, 7]+[3, 5] = 21
First of all, the 1 is set aside as it's an opportunity for the Watcher, so the best total I can come up with is a 10 which isn't enough to beat Rhino's 14 which would mean Spider-man would take D10 physical damage which would mean he's pretty close to defeat. So, I will spend 1 PP to allow adding a 3rd dice to my total so I get a 17 (the two 5s and the 7) and I'll use the d10 with the 3 to be my effect die. Unfortunately,I am out of plot points so I can't spend one to use that d10 effect die as a counter attack.

However, the Watcher is going to buy that 1 I rolled for 1 plot point to add a D6 to the Doom Pool
After The Rhino's action:

Spider-man:
No Stress
1 PP

Rhino:
D8 Emotional Stress

Doom Pool:
3D6
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Spider-Man's Turn:
Concerned that Rhino might start hurting civilians, Spider-man launches a series of punches and kicks at Rhino in hopes of keeping Rhino focused on him.

Dice Pool:
1D10 Solo
I will take the 1D4 + 1 PP for Great Responsibility distinction to reflect his worry for the civilian's (plus I get a PP)
1D10 from Superhuman Strength
1D8 from Web-Slinging (Weapon)
1D8 from Combat Expert
I will also spend 1 PP to use Rhino's Emotional Stress against him (to reflect he's not thinking clearly)

Total: 2D10+1D4+2D8
Spoiler:
Spider-man: 2D10+1D4+2D8 = [2, 4]+[1]+[1, 6] = 14
Eww, that sucks. The Watcher is going to buy both of those opportunities from me (the 1s) which will give me two PP for 2D6 to the Doom Pool. I could buy the both for 1 PP and instead of adding 2D6 I could bump up one of the D6s to a D8, but I'll keep it simple. So, my total is 10 with an D10 Effect die.
Rhino:
D10 Solo
D8 Unstoppable
D12 Durability Supremacy
D8 Combat Expert
Total: 1D12+1D10+2D8
Spoiler:
Rhino: 1D12+1D10+2D8 = [11]+[7]+[4, 1] = 23
The 1 is an opportunity for Spiderman, so I will use it to add a D10 stunt to my next roll (if there's one)
If I take the 7 from the D10 and the 4 from the D8, that gives a total of 11 which beats Spider-man's total and a d12 Effect die. I will spend 1 D6 from the Doom Pool in order to use the D12 effect die to punch Spider-man giving him D12 Physical stress (any more and he's defeated
After Spider-man's second action:
Spider-man:
D12 Physical Stress
D10 Stunt on next roll
3 PP

Rhino:
D8 Emotional Stress

Doom Pool:
3D6

Edit: Just noticed I used D10 instead of D8 for Spider-man Solo. Oops
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Rhino's 2nd Turn:
After blasting a punch right into Spider-man's mid section Rhino senses he has his foe on the edge of defeat, so he lowers his head and charges
I will need to spend 1D6 from the Doom Pool to activate the charge sfx.

Pool:
1D10 Solo
1D8 Unstoppable
1D8 Goring attack
1D6 from Charge
1D8 Combat Expert
Total: 1D10+3D8+1D6
Spoiler:
Rhino: 1D10+3D8+1D6 = [6]+[7, 5, 6]+[1] = 25
The 1, Spider-man will take a D8 push die for (he's hurting and his pushing himself harder)
Total = 13 (7 and 6 from the D8s
Effect Die = d10 which upgrades to a d12 because of the charge sfx
Spiderman has webbed a piece of the wall that the rhino broke off in the last attack and hurls it at rhino (the d10 stunt), plus he's pushing himself harder so his dice pool is:
1D8 Solo
1D8 Responsibility/Power
1D10 Reflexes
1D10 stunt
1D8 push
1d8 weapon
1d10 acrobatic master

Total = 3D10+4D8
Spoiler:
Spider-man: 3D10+4D8 = [8, 2, 9]+[5, 6, 1, 3] = 34
Watcher buys the 1 for 1 PP and adds a D6 to the Doom Pool
Total = 17
Effect = d10
Since Spider-man's total is higher he avoids the attack and he will spend 1 PP to use his effect die in a counter
"I always heard rhino's were near sighted. Maybe you need to get some glasses so you can hit me"
I will also use both of Rhino's limits (I should have used it the first time he was insulted):
Currently the Doom Pool is 3D6 (it was 3D6, then I spent 1 to charge, and then bought one back).
Can't stop means the Doom Pool is 2D6+1D4
Hair Triggers means the Doom Pool is 3D6+1D4 and the D10 emotional stress from Spider-man becomes D12.

So,

Spider-man:
D12 Physical Stress
4 PP

Rhino:
D12 Emotional

Doom Pool:
3D6+1D4
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Bah, lost a whole post where Spiderman managed to capture the Rhino by getting more than D12 on his webbing attack. Oh well. Yeah,not sure how well this will work Play by Post. It is actually less complicated than it seems, but I think it needs the speed of in person play
bb2112
End of Days
Location: Knowledge! It is almost as important as money, luck, and family connections.

Post by bb2112 »

I'm sure the game play will become less complicated as we get more familiar with the rules and how to play, but I can tell you, it reads REALLY COOL!
That's no reason to cry. One cries because one is sad. For example, I cry because others are stupid, and that makes me sad.
Why would I stab an Oracle? Wait, what am I saying? Why wouldn't I stab an Oracle? - Belkar Bitterleaf
BCY4920 - You can suck it Johnny Angel.