Presidential Primary Debates

This is the place for self-contained forum games

Moderator: Zaxxon

Newcastle

Re: Presidential Primary Debates

Post by Newcastle »

Lassr wrote:
So sorry Newcastle for taking you out against my better judgement but I wanted to give Issy the benefit of the doubt due to his circumstances.
newcastle saying stupid stuff.....

edit to add - i got some fucked up news yesterday and havent been able to properly process it. I'm sorry. My bad.
Last edited by Newcastle on Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bayraktar!!!!

Trump and the GOP; putting the banana in our Republic.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

My issues didn't impact my decision making regarding selection, and there was plenty of delay on the mod side after I made my selections. I stayed away because I couldn't trust that the protection data in public was accurate. In hindsight, I should have tried both of the previous nights to make sure.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

Good game, y'all. It was fun to be back in the mix.
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

Newcastle wrote:..Grund's too good for us and us simple people shouldnt have that information...i think i'm going to pull that same stunt when i'm seer...declare i have a scan but not share the info....sorry grund but that was arrogant, selfish, and not in the vein of a community game. Seriously that arrogance is really petty man, very petty.
You seem confused about how to play werewolf.

I was interested in seeing who, if anyone, was willing to vote against the known-to-me innocent. Declaring his innocence would've made that check impossible.

It turned out that nobody took that bait, but there was no way to know in advance what folks would do.

As it turned out, it didn't matter. But the play was both well-conceived and prudent.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Newcastle, that post is much more petty than Grund's action. Grund's action provided the group of Democrat's the chance to discuss things without bias. It placed an extra burden on Isgrimnur in choosing who he would argue to lynch. By limiting the knowledge his (Grund's) opponents have to work with he can hopefully make a better decision regarding their actions. Had I been alive and un-outted it would have driven me nuts to wonder which of you he had cleared.

That said, the game rules themselves were extremely unbalanced IMO. Powers that create knowns for the main group are super powerful. Hillary created 2 knowns. Having only a single "bad guy" able to night kill is extremely limiting (although that did not play out due to the lynch order) as that is the single major power of team bad. Having a good guy which had the potential to act as both a protection (huge ability) and a successful lynch should he be attack (holy crap is that powerful) combined with only one "attacker" left the potential for team bad to be completely screwed in one night action rather than simply frustrated as a normal protection would do. Imagine if Ben had attacked Webb. Not only is there no dead Democrat but the Republicans lose a member and the group gains the knowledge of who that player was to look at his past actions. WAY over powered IMO.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Newcastle wrote:
Lassr wrote:
So sorry Newcastle for taking you out against my better judgement but I wanted to give Issy the benefit of the doubt due to his circumstances.
Probably should have posted i was seeing my surgeon during my last posts...and i probably would have gotten a pass....

I've got a bitter taste in my mouth on this one and I am trying hard not to really vent, because I'm still peeved bout yesterday. It all comes down to grund not sharing information, that still ticks me off...youre the frigging seer...share the fucking information...really pissed about that still. I would love to have been able to go back through the game and have it a binary choice between issy & bb...but no...Grund's too good for us and us simple people shouldnt have that information...i think i'm going to pull that same stunt when i'm seer...declare i have a scan but not share the info....sorry grund but that was arrogant, selfish, and not in the vein of a community game. Seriously that arrogance is really petty man, very petty.

Probably the confusion on the rules stems from the medication i've been on..so i wasn't thinking clearly. Great for that to be held against me. Do i get a pass for that Grund?

Yeah I'm pissed. I really would have liked more time and time to explore the game w/ Lassr's declaration of innonce. I dont mind being voted off...it happens..its part of the game. I really cant stand not sharing information.
uh..this was not the response I was expecting. It's just a game.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I agree that Webb was overpowered - an invicible protector is already overpowered probably, but to add on top of that that he auto-kills the lone killer on the wolf side was a little over the top. Though in this case the auto-killing did not come into play (though I would imagine that factored into Isgrimnur's kill choices early on).
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Lassr wrote:
Newcastle wrote:
Lassr wrote:
Probably should have posted i was seeing my surgeon during my last posts...and i probably would have gotten a pass....

I've got a bitter taste in my mouth on this one and I am trying hard not to really vent, because I'm still peeved bout yesterday. It all comes down to grund not sharing information, that still ticks me off...youre the frigging seer...share the fucking information...really pissed about that still. I would love to have been able to go back through the game and have it a binary choice between issy & bb...but no...Grund's too good for us and us simple people shouldnt have that information...i think i'm going to pull that same stunt when i'm seer...declare i have a scan but not share the info....sorry grund but that was arrogant, selfish, and not in the vein of a community game. Seriously that arrogance is really petty man, very petty.

Probably the confusion on the rules stems from the medication i've been on..so i wasn't thinking clearly. Great for that to be held against me. Do i get a pass for that Grund?

Yeah I'm pissed. I really would have liked more time and time to explore the game w/ Lassr's declaration of innonce. I dont mind being voted off...it happens..its part of the game. I really cant stand not sharing information.
uh..this was not the response I was expecting. It's just a game.
Yeah Newcastle's gripes aren't especially persuasive. But I guess people get passionate about stuff.
Black Lives Matter.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Moliere wrote:I feel bad that Trump never had a chance to use his conversion. That unknown is always my favorite part of these games. I still like the mechanic (i.e., limitation) I put against it and with the slight change to Hillary's use of her resurrection power. Anyone else have any thoughts on these 2 rules?
Hillary is over powered. Her impact is the same as two nights worth of scans by the Seer. She is revealed as "good" as is her target. Way too much power. The Medium ability (allowing the dead to post once more) was very powerful due to proving the Medium and allowing the dead player a post that the live players can know for sure is true.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Grundbegriff wrote:
Newcastle wrote:..Grund's too good for us and us simple people shouldnt have that information...i think i'm going to pull that same stunt when i'm seer...declare i have a scan but not share the info....sorry grund but that was arrogant, selfish, and not in the vein of a community game. Seriously that arrogance is really petty man, very petty.

I was interested in seeing who, if anyone, was willing to vote against the known-to-me innocent. Declaring his innocence would've made that check impossible.

It turned out that nobody took that bait, but there was no way to know in advance what folks would do.

As it turned out, it didn't matter. But the play was both well-conceived and prudent.
The play made sense to me I was just hoping you would and could stop us before we lynched your scan. I also thought you meant to hold the scan through the night not to give Ben knowledge of who to take out but I discounted that after we all realized it was game over if you were left alive.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Remus West wrote:That said, the game rules themselves were extremely unbalanced IMO. Powers that create knowns for the main group are super powerful. Hillary created 2 knowns. Having only a single "bad guy" able to night kill is extremely limiting (although that did not play out due to the lynch order) as that is the single major power of team bad. Having a good guy which had the potential to act as both a protection (huge ability) and a successful lynch should he be attack (holy crap is that powerful) combined with only one "attacker" left the potential for team bad to be completely screwed in one night action rather than simply frustrated as a normal protection would do. Imagine if Ben had attacked Webb. Not only is there no dead Democrat but the Republicans lose a member and the group gains the knowledge of who that player was to look at his past actions. WAY over powered IMO.
I think it only seems that way because the Democrats won. If you were not outed, if Scoop doesn't die before the other Republicans, and if Grund was targeted earlier when he wasn't being protected this is a very different game. A secret Trump conversion would have been HUGE! Huge I say! It would have made the Republicans great again.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Remus West wrote:
Moliere wrote:I feel bad that Trump never had a chance to use his conversion. That unknown is always my favorite part of these games. I still like the mechanic (i.e., limitation) I put against it and with the slight change to Hillary's use of her resurrection power. Anyone else have any thoughts on these 2 rules?
Hillary is over powered. Her impact is the same as two nights worth of scans by the Seer. She is revealed as "good" as is her target. Way too much power. The Medium ability (allowing the dead to post once more) was very powerful due to proving the Medium and allowing the dead player a post that the live players can know for sure is true.
At the same time her "two successive misses" limitation is pretty significant. If the village hits on either of the first two days then she effectively becomes unpowered. It also means that she has to survive two night kills and two (missed) lynches.
Black Lives Matter.
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

RevHempus-- what did you do each night?
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

So am I president now?
Black Lives Matter.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

El Guapo wrote:So am I president now?
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
bb2112
End of Days
Location: Knowledge! It is almost as important as money, luck, and family connections.

Post by bb2112 »

Remus West wrote:
I disagree. There was a good chance that we wouldn't get to use Hilary's power at all. And if Trumps conversion happened, there are no proven players. This game was almost a perfect storm for the Democrats. Denying Trump his power was huge. Not killing Grund on a night when he wasn't protected also huge. If Grund would have been killed on one of those nights, the Republicans probably would have won. I don't think there was any way to stop the lynching of NC and myself on the last 2 days. People poked at Isgrimnur, but nobody was seriously voting for him.
That's no reason to cry. One cries because one is sad. For example, I cry because others are stupid, and that makes me sad.
Why would I stab an Oracle? Wait, what am I saying? Why wouldn't I stab an Oracle? - Belkar Bitterleaf
BCY4920 - You can suck it Johnny Angel.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I regret that my personal issues, early and late, factored in any way to the anyone's decision-making. Active or not is no reason for a pass on suspicion.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

bb2112 wrote: People poked at Isgrimnur, but nobody was seriously voting for him.
Oh if grund had died last night I was seriously thinking about voting for him.

Black Lives Matter
bb2112
End of Days
Location: Knowledge! It is almost as important as money, luck, and family connections.

Post by bb2112 »

Lassr wrote:
Grundbegriff wrote:

The play made sense to me I was just hoping you would and could stop us before we lynched your scan. I also thought you meant to hold the scan through the night not to give Ben knowledge of who to take out but I discounted that after we all realized it was game over if you were left alive.
Dammit, Lassr, get out of my head. I agree. I really wanted to know who Grund had scanned, but I would have been content to go into night without the info. It would have made a much harder choice for Isgrimnur to make and it could have locked up the game sooner.
That's no reason to cry. One cries because one is sad. For example, I cry because others are stupid, and that makes me sad.
Why would I stab an Oracle? Wait, what am I saying? Why wouldn't I stab an Oracle? - Belkar Bitterleaf
bb2112
End of Days

Post by bb2112 »

Grund, I think you played a brilliant game. Nice job all the way around. Nailing Scoop was magical.
Newcastle and Scoop, thank you, thank you, thank you! You guys made the game truly enjoyable. I couldn't wait to check to see if you posted.
Semaj, nice job. I think you played a great game. Anytime as an villager and an unknown you can draw the fire of team bad is good thing.
Rev, good job on your protections and you came out at the right time.
CR, you played the perfect game. Hope to see more like it.
El G, good job on waiting for the 2nd day miss before coming out thereby ensuring the resurrection of our seer.
RMC, you are lucky Grund scanned you. I think you needed to eat a snickers before the last couple of posts, but I do like your banter. You are a fun addition to any game.
RW, you know you are going to die the first day from now on, right? Is that 3 or 4 in a row?
Lassr, I am never going to agree with you again. Even if you are 100% right. You are one of those people that others listen to and follow because you are good player and level headed. You are probably going to say I'm cozying up to you right now. Dammit.
Vorret, get to know bacon. Like it. Love it. And not Kevin Bacon. That is right out.
Isgrimnur, I'm sorry to hear of all your issues over the course of the game. If nothing else, hopefully the game was a fun distraction for you and not a burden.
Moliere, truly one of the most entertaining games in a while. You had some uber powered guys with Trump and Webb, but it still could have come down to the wire if Issy chose to oust Grund when he had the chance. Thank you for running.
RMC

Post by RMC »

Moliere wrote:Thanks for playing another one of my Political WW games. Everyone did a great job playing their parts and staying on theme. It was always my intention to have Webb's power limited to a new protection each night. Just one of those typos when writing up the rules. Hopefully the rule change mid-game didn't cause too many issues, but I feel like it balanced the game. This could have easily gone to the Republicans if Grundbegriff doesn't correctly lead the charge against Remus and Scoop. Even after that Isgrimnur could have possibly won if he had stabbed Grundbegriff instead of RMC.
Remember that everyone kill someone else other than RMC to win a game. :)
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

I’m not in my right mind right now. In September I was diagnosed with colon cancer. It hasn't spread, thankfully. I just finished chemo/radiation treatment 2 weeks ago. Yesterday the surgeon gave me the odds of living 5+ years and its not good. My mind is not in a good place. I took this game as a form of escape from the whirlwind that’s inside my head right. I’ve got a lot on my plate. Not looking for pity or “I’m sorry”, but more so you guys don’t think I’m a deranged lunatic who can’t handle a simple voting off in a simple game. For some reason that’s important to me. That’s the root of today's spasm, and I’m sorry.

Sorry for the thread derail.
Bayraktar!!!!

Trump and the GOP; putting the banana in our Republic.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Newcastle wrote:I’m not in my right mind right now. In September I was diagnosed with colon cancer. It hasn't spread, thankfully. I just finished chemo/radiation treatment 2 weeks ago. Yesterday the surgeon gave me the odds of living 5+ years and its not good. My mind is not in a good place. I took this game as a form of escape from the whirlwind that’s inside my head right. I’ve got a lot on my plate. Not looking for pity or “I’m sorry”, but more so you guys don’t think I’m a deranged lunatic who can’t handle a simple voting off in a simple game. For some reason that’s important to me. That’s the root of today's spasm, and I’m sorry.

From the Mod's point of view I couldn't tell if you were being intentionally ironic when you got mad about being scooped. I was going to suggest you be allowed to come back to the debate and make the final vote on Isg so you could scoop all three Republicans, which I believe was your goal. Kind of like the football player who is signed to the team for one day in order to officially retire on that team.

Anyway, I'm glad you ended up playing in this game. You definitely added to everyone's enjoyment, including mine, while playing.
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

Newcastle wrote:In September I was diagnosed with colon cancer. It hasn't spread, thankfully. I just finished chemo/radiation treatment 2 weeks ago. Yesterday the surgeon gave me the odds of living 5+ years and its not good...
I'm sorry to learn of your diagnosis, and I hope they'll figure out how to fix you up or tamp it down.
No worries. You're among friends. And there's really no telling how things'll go; hopefully way better than it seems right now!
RevHempus71

Post by RevHempus71 »

Night 1 grundbegriff
2 Newcastle
3 grundbegriff
4 Newcastle
5 grundbegriff

That's where I went.
Sheesh...... May I please get out of the corner now???? I promise to behave........
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

RevHempus71 wrote:Night 1 grundbegriff
2 Newcastle
3 grundbegriff
4 Newcastle
5 grundbegriff

That's where I went.
Ummm, you didn't protect me night 2??
Black Lives Matter.
RevHempus71

Post by RevHempus71 »

El Guapo wrote:
RevHempus71 wrote:Night 1 grundbegriff
2 Newcastle
3 grundbegriff
4 Newcastle
5 grundbegriff

That's where I went.
Ummm, you didn't protect me night 2??
Nope.
Sheesh...... May I please get out of the corner now???? I promise to behave........
RMC

Post by RMC »

And only Grund and Newcastle... That was ballsy.. I like it.. :)
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
RMC

Post by RMC »

Newcastle wrote:I’m not in my right mind right now. In September I was diagnosed with colon cancer. It hasn't spread, thankfully. I just finished chemo/radiation treatment 2 weeks ago. Yesterday the surgeon gave me the odds of living 5+ years and its not good. My mind is not in a good place. I took this game as a form of escape from the whirlwind that’s inside my head right. I’ve got a lot on my plate. Not looking for pity or “I’m sorry”, but more so you guys don’t think I’m a deranged lunatic who can’t handle a simple voting off in a simple game. For some reason that’s important to me. That’s the root of today's spasm, and I’m sorry.

Dude, we are your internet friends. Please vent to us, let us help if we can. Post about it, talk about it with us. Ask others if they have been through it and get encouragement and stories from us.

Only know you from the internet, but you are a cool guy, who I read posts from all the time. Let me know if I can help in any way. You can beat this, I have faith in you. Sending positive thoughts your way!
RevHempus71

Post by RevHempus71 »

RMC wrote:And only Grund and Newcastle... That was ballsy.. I like it.. :)
Thank you. I can't explain it but I just knew Newcastle was good. I thought a good grundbegriff was a target so I went there 1st. Then after everything happened, seemed best to stick to my guns. No way anyone could guess where I was.
RevHempus71

Post by RevHempus71 »

I'm not going to do anymore for you than you would do for us. Friends are friends whether digital or daily. You ARE one of those friends. So no pity, no I'm sorry.
Just a real heart felt Thank you. You know what for.
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

El Guapo wrote:Ummm, you didn't protect me night 2??
He might've figured Hillary was dead Vorret or Chaosraven and that you were some sort of trap.
RevHempus71

Post by RevHempus71 »

Grundbegriff wrote:
He might've figured Hillary was dead Vorret or Chaosraven and that you were some sort of trap.
I didn't trust the situation, so risky yes, but it worked out. I thought it was good for the team.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

I personally know 2 people in the past 3 years that had advanced colon cancer. The are still going strong today and in great shape. Modern medicine is wonderful, And please keep us posted.

Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

RevHempus71 wrote:
Grundbegriff wrote:
I didn't trust the situation, so risky yes, but it worked out. I thought it was good for the team.
I mean, it did, but it's kind of a crazy risk to take, gambling over two proven specials for a small percentage chance at blocking a kill on an unpowered person. You must be interesting to gamble with. ;)
Black Lives Matter.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

I wondered if you were pulling a bluff too, Guap.

Boxing in Remus and forcing his hand as Rand early was huge. Until then I was worried about a Rand filibuster + Trump conversion would play out.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
RMC

Post by RMC »

Zarathud wrote:I wondered if you were pulling a bluff too, Guap.

Boxing in Remus and forcing his hand as Rand early was huge. Until then I was worried about a Rand filibuster + Trump conversion would play out.
You need to play after Tax Season is over. :)
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

I was able to follow along this time since I have been waiting for a few projects to wrap up. More gaps in the schedule than usual.

And I would have totally supported scooping you, RMC.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

El Guapo wrote:So...this gets more interesting the more I think about it. I was going to call for any Hillaries out there to counter Remus' claim, in the event that he is lying. Only the more I think about it...would that be the right thing for them to do? If a True Hillary counters and a Lying Republican Remus gets lynched, then Hillary can't use her power until day 5 at a minimum because it requires two missed votes in a row. Webb can't protect her both times (though it's plausible for him to win a game of chicken, especially since he's Jim F'ing Webb). Trump then doesn't have to worry about accidentally hitting Hillary when using his conversion. On top of that if Remus is lying then there's a fair chance that he's Ben, especially given the night kill choice.

So the potential concern is that Remus claim is of a provable role that's not really provable (at least not today, and not until day 5 if we hit a Republican), and it's one that might not be countered, either if it was Chaosraven (or on the 1% chance that it was Vorret) or if a real Hillary decides not to counter.

Of course, lynching Remus risks lynching Hillary and losing our potential rez in the process.
FYI this was me obliquely soliciting input on whether or not I should counter Remus.
Black Lives Matter.
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

I played a poor game. I had too much fun role playing and didn't spend much effort on game play.
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906