Secret Hitler

This is the place for self-contained forum games

Moderator: Zaxxon

Holman

Re: Secret Hitler

Post by Holman »

Hitler, I'm curious: at what point did you feel sure that you knew the other Fascists?
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Vorret

Post by Vorret »

Holman wrote:Hitler, I'm curious: at what point did you feel sure that you knew the other Fascists?
When I passed you FL and you enacted L I then knew you were L so Chaos was L as well so that made some other very likely F (bb and El G)
Before that, I had no idea.
Isgrimnur wrote:
His name makes me think of a small, burrowing rodent anyway.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Scoop20906 wrote:
Moliere wrote:So I managed to select a fascist as my Chancellor (Scoop) and Hitler to be the next President (Vorret). :ninja:
If it makes you feel better I thoroughly enjoyed screwing you over b
How did you screw me over? I still managed to pass a Liberal policy via my selection of Vorret and win the game with my selection of Holman. All the other fascist tickets I was part of were successfully negated.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Moliere wrote:
Scoop20906 wrote:
Moliere wrote:So I managed to select a fascist as my Chancellor (Scoop) and Hitler to be the next President (Vorret). :ninja:
If it makes you feel better I thoroughly enjoyed screwing you over b
How did you screw me over? I still managed to pass a Liberal policy via my selection of Vorret and win the game with my selection of Holman. All the other fascist tickets I was part of were successfully negated.
Lying about what cards you gave me. I didn't get to act very fascist this game.
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906
stessier

Post by stessier »

I'm assuming no one trusted me or Remus?
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

stessier wrote:I'm assuming no one trusted me or Remus?
By default. :P
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Making Hitler president actually screwed the fascists over. Vorret did a great job staying trusted, so I thought we were in great shape once we had three policies. Then you made him president, and Vorret wound up being ineligible to be chancellor for like 80% of the rest of the game.
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Vorret wrote:
Scoop20906 wrote:I was hoping on Vorret last ticket he could pass two FF to Holman. Didn't have the cards I guess.
I could have that's the thing, I thought about it for a while, I wanted to get trusted enough to get elected by Holman and win the game so I passed him FL, gets me trust and if by chance he's F (he could have been) it would have given us the victory.

SAdly it wasn't the case , there's a few things I'd do differently over the course of the game but needed to be trusted while also trying to win for the baddies was very interesting.
IMO you should definitely have passed FF, then executed Holman or CR.
Black Lives Matter.
stessier

Post by stessier »

El Guapo wrote:
Vorret wrote:
Scoop20906 wrote:I was hoping on Vorret last ticket he could pass two FF to Holman. Didn't have the cards I guess.
I could have that's the thing, I thought about it for a while, I wanted to get trusted enough to get elected by Holman and win the game so I passed him FL, gets me trust and if by chance he's F (he could have been) it would have given us the victory.

SAdly it wasn't the case , there's a few things I'd do differently over the course of the game but needed to be trusted while also trying to win for the baddies was very interesting.
IMO you should definitely have passed FF, then executed Holman or CR.
He didn't know Holman was liberal at the time. The Fascists really have to be Liberals to see how frustrating this game is.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

El Guapo wrote:
Making Hitler president actually screwed the fascists over. Vorret did a great job staying trusted, so I thought we were in great shape once we had three policies. Then you made him president, and Vorret wound up being ineligible to be chancellor for like 80% of the rest of the game.
Yep, looking back Moliere really won the game on that move. NICE JOB. :D

Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

stessier wrote:
Grundbegriff wrote:To clarify:
We have Moliere who has nominated Holman.
Chaosraven, Holman, Remus West, stessier, and Vorret will affirm this ticket.
I doubt that, but I bet Moliere would vote for it, so it's all good. :)
How does Vorret keep creeping into my official proclamations?!
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

He did. I believe he made a mistake. Which is how we learn!
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

Holman wrote:I do wish I hadn't pissed off Grund there today. I meant no harm and no advantage.
Truly no big deal. It was clear you weren't jockeying for an advantage.
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

Scoop20906 wrote:
El Guapo wrote:
Yep, looking back Moliere really won the game on that move. NICE JOB. :D
Yes. The problem with Vorret's playing FL rather than FF in an effort to stay "trusted" and maybe get elected as chancellor is that he wasn't eligible to be chosen as chancellor during the remaining lifetime of his waning trust.
Sometimes, a Fascist just has to brute force his way to victory!

Other observations from the perspective of the mod: nearly all stessier's labor on spreadsheets was wasted, it seems to me. At no point (before he gave up) did he accurately assess the state of the game.

Also: bb2112 received LLF but claimed LFF early on, and this good move threw off everyone's expecations about how many L cards were still available.

Vorret: seemed innocent and angelic-- a perfect Hitler in demeanor.

Fascists: really played your side of the ambiguity well to cast doubt on the apparently trustworthy.

The game: would like to try it with votes that take 30 seconds instead of 30 hours. ;)
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

As for length I became comfortable with the ebb and flow of elections after I set my expectations.

A lot was learned from both sides. I'm terrified of being a liberal and my knowing anything in a game like this.

Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

Another random obsv: the shuffling technique I chose made a difference. I can see it going either way.

Strictly enforcing the "reshuffle as soon as only two cards are left" technique consistently prevents everyone from "reading the deck".
Loosely enforcing the technique (by applying it only to the first reshuffle) might allow folks in the second half of the game to figure out exactly what's in the deck.

So loose enforcement could be seen as introducing more information (to the deductively inclined) as the game progresses, and that may or may not be desirable.

(When there were 4 cards, they were FFLL. I dealt the top two and then reshuffled the LL into the pile of discards to create Deck 3. With loose enforcement, I would've just dealt FFL, and the game would've ended on that turn rather than proceeding to the veto turn.)

(Note: an equivalent way to handle strict enforcement is to always discard the bottom two cards of the shuffled deck immediately after any shuffle, and then to consume the entirety of whatever remains before reshuffling the discards.)
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

It seemed as if the game was frustrating. Does everyone agree with that sentiment?

More importantly, did you have fun, or did it seem like a chore? Is Secret Hitler a good game?
Holman

Post by Holman »

I really did enjoy it. It was frustrating, but more in a way that made things tense than in a way that seemed broken or confusing. Part of the fun was figuring out the dynamics as we moved forward. We were fortunate (for Fun purposes) that our Fascists didn't try for a brute-force win.

So much depended on the card play that this game is less driven by narrative and competing claims than Werewolf is. Secret Hitler is probably better live in one evening than on a forum for one month.

Thank you for moderating!
stessier

Post by stessier »

Grundbegriff wrote:It seemed as if the game was frustrating. Does everyone agree with that sentiment?

More importantly, did you have fun, or did it seem like a chore? Is Secret Hitler a good game?
I had fun and did not see it as a chore. I think I'd need to play a few more times to tell if it is a good game.

As for frustrating, it is and I'm not sure how to feel about it. Holman and Chaos could have been anything until their Admin vetoed. I'm guessing every game will be like that - most know nothing until the very end. It seems unlikely either side will ever win or lose quickly - which could be seen as a plus. I'll have to think on it some more.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

A tough game when you don't know who to trust. When I picked Holman in the end and you announced that Hitler had been elected Chancellor, well, let's just say it was NSFW in my house for a few seconds. :oops:
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

I was determined to use the Hitler graphics. ;)
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

This game was tense. I loved it!

Vorret

Post by Vorret »

I liked it, being in the dark was very interesting to say the least, especially knowing a few people knew my identity but also couldn't do anything about it.

It went well as far as a forum game goes, I'd love to play it again in a different role to see another aspect that's for sure and we'll know what to expect as well.
Isgrimnur wrote:
His name makes me think of a small, burrowing rodent anyway.
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

One thing I like is that players rarely die. It's much better in that regard.

Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

Let's think about how a Fascist can signal allegiance to Hitler.

Hitler is Prez and passes LF. Charlie the Chancellor enacts F. Hitler knows Charlie is a Fascist.
Hitler is Prez, Veto is active, and Hitler passes LL. Charlie vetoes. Hitler knows....
Hitler scans Charlie and sees that he's a Fascist.

Anything else?
Holman

Post by Holman »

Grundbegriff wrote:Let's think about how a Fascist can signal allegiance to Hitler.

Hitler is Prez and passes LF. Charlie the Chancellor enacts F. Hitler knows Charlie is a Fascist.
Hitler is Prez, Veto is active, and Hitler passes LL. Charlie vetoes. Hitler knows....
Hitler scans Charlie and sees that he's a Fascist.

Anything else?
President Fascist scans Hitler and announces that he is Liberal.
President Fascist scans a Liberal with whom Hitler disputed cards, then announces that that Liberal is a Fascist.
Last edited by Holman on Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

Good one! Anything else?
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

Scoop20906 wrote:This game was tense. I loved it!
+a zillion
"Where are you off to?"
"I don't know," Snufkin replied.
The door shut again and Snufkin entered his forest, with a hundred miles of silence ahead of him.

Sweet sweet meat come. -LordMortis
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

If anyone disliked it-- or aspects of it-- I think it would be helpful to hear that side of things, too. After all, we're at liberty to tweak the design to make it more forum-amenable!
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Grundbegriff wrote:If anyone disliked it-- or aspects of it-- I think it would be helpful to hear that side of things, too. After all, we're at liberty to tweak the design to make it more forum-amenable!
I didn't like the part where Scoop called me a fascist. Can you amend that part?
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

Grundbegriff wrote:If anyone disliked it-- or aspects of it-- I think it would be helpful to hear that side of things, too. After all, we're at liberty to tweak the design to make it more forum-amenable!
as the guy who screwed up, perhaps ACTION options should be part of it (the Veto)
"Where are you off to?"
"I don't know," Snufkin replied.
The door shut again and Snufkin entered his forest, with a hundred miles of silence ahead of him.

Sweet sweet meat come. -LordMortis
bb2112
End of Days
Location: Knowledge! It is almost as important as money, luck, and family connections.

Post by bb2112 »

I liked the game. It was a little frustrating when CR scanned me as a fascist and then Holman confirmed with a scan of CR. I tried to throw as much mud as I could, but I felt like it was an uphill battle all the way. I kept saying if I really was a Liberal how would I react?

Vorret, I think you played it too clean. With the Holman, CR team it made it unlikely that you would get a chance as Chancellor. Especially since Holman was cleared as not being Hitler and Stess stating repeatedly that you could be Hitler. If you could have taken the shot and shot a Liberal, it may have been enough to push the game in our favor. You kept siding with Holman and CR right up until the end and we needed you to go the other way at some point.

As Grund said, first game, live and learn. I also don't mind the forum dynamic. It takes longer than a face to face game, but it doesn't seem unreasonably long vs. a regular WW game.

Thanks for running Grund!
That's no reason to cry. One cries because one is sad. For example, I cry because others are stupid, and that makes me sad.
Why would I stab an Oracle? Wait, what am I saying? Why wouldn't I stab an Oracle? - Belkar Bitterleaf
BCY4920 - You can suck it Johnny Angel.
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Bb2112 I think you did well claiming your innocence. I pushed hard for you at the end. We nearly won. Pretty fun.

Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

Chaosraven wrote:perhaps ACTION options should be part of it (the Veto)
I agree; it would be a good practice for the mod to include that option in the PM that passes cards from Prez to Chancellor, if that option is active.
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

Well, it was fun for me to run it. I look forward to joining a game later.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Wow, Vorret. I was expecting the possibility of you being Hitler only if Moliere had been a Fascist, too. That would have been wicked mindfreak. So trusted, but still so far from victory.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
stessier

Post by stessier »

bb2112 wrote:I liked the game. It was a little frustrating when CR scanned me as a fascist and then Holman confirmed with a scan of CR. I tried to throw as much mud as I could, but I felt like it was an uphill battle all the way. I kept saying if I really was a Liberal how would I react?

Vorret, I think you played it too clean. With the Holman, CR team it made it unlikely that you would get a chance as Chancellor. Especially since Holman was cleared as not being Hitler and Stess stating repeatedly that you could be Hitler. If you could have taken the shot and shot a Liberal, it may have been enough to push the game in our favor. You kept siding with Holman and CR right up until the end and we needed you to go the other way at some point.

As Grund said, first game, live and learn. I also don't mind the forum dynamic. It takes longer than a face to face game, but it doesn't seem unreasonably long vs. a regular WW game.

Thanks for running Grund!
See, people keep saying this but he didn't now who was on his side! Until Holman passed a policy at the very end. If he had shot someone, there's a 50/50 chance it would have been a Fascst. Now that would have been funny.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Grundbegriff wrote:It seemed as if the game was frustrating. Does everyone agree with that sentiment?

Loved it! The uncertainty made it enjoyable mostly due to the rarity of death.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

Remus West wrote: due to the rarity of death.
Agreed. Finding a way to keep everyone in the game was the brilliant innovation in The Resistance/Avalon, and giving people something to do that *potentially* generates useful information is how Secret Hitler builds onthat foundation.

Say... anyone up for a game of Avalon? It's like this reskinned in Arthurian garb, with the elections but without the policies. Plus Merlin knows everyone's alignment but evil wins if they guess who's Merlin.
bb2112
End of Days
Location: Knowledge! It is almost as important as money, luck, and family connections.

Post by bb2112 »

Grundbegriff wrote:
Remus West wrote: due to the rarity of death.
Agreed. Finding a way to keep everyone in the game was the brilliant innovation in The Resistance/Avalon, and giving people something to do that *potentially* generates useful information is how Secret Hitler builds onthat foundation.

Say... anyone up for a game of Avalon? It's like this reskinned in Arthurian garb, with the elections but without the policies. Plus Merlin knows everyone's alignment but evil wins if they guess who's Merlin.
I was going to start a sign up page for another Secret Hitler first...
That's no reason to cry. One cries because one is sad. For example, I cry because others are stupid, and that makes me sad.
Why would I stab an Oracle? Wait, what am I saying? Why wouldn't I stab an Oracle? - Belkar Bitterleaf
BCY4920 - You can suck it Johnny Angel.