Dungeon World Character and World Creation

This is the place for self-contained forum games

Moderator: Zaxxon

IceBear

Dungeon World Character and World Creation

Post by IceBear »

Just going to put the link to a Google Drive folder here that should contain the basic moves and the playbooks of any character we have.
Last edited by IceBear on Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Moliere

Re: Thinking of starting Dungeon World again

Post by Moliere »

Does it work with someone who has never played before?
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

I was really enjoying it the last time before RL got in your way so I would certainly play again. :D
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
bb2112
End of Days
Location: Knowledge! It is almost as important as money, luck, and family connections.

Post by bb2112 »

I would like to try this if you are good with new players. :D
That's no reason to cry. One cries because one is sad. For example, I cry because others are stupid, and that makes me sad.
Why would I stab an Oracle? Wait, what am I saying? Why wouldn't I stab an Oracle? - Belkar Bitterleaf
BCY4920 - You can suck it Johnny Angel.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Sure does. Might even be better without any preconceptions.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

So that's three players...maybe one or two more.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I'll play again.

I had a lot of fun last time.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Ok...that's four. Why don't each of you tell me what type of character concept you have and I will give you some more concrete examples from the play books on hand to choose from
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

IceBear wrote:Ok...that's four. Why don't each of you tell me what type of character concept you have and I will give you some more concrete examples from the play books on hand to choose from
Given that I have no idea what my options are or how this game works I will answer with: thief/stealth.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I think I still have my character sheets from last time. I'm fine with playing the barbarian (i.e. cannon fodder) again. Or I can try something else if you'd like.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Hmmm....I really only have one playbook for that concept which is the thief (funny that). I'll post that playbook later when I get back to my PC (and I'll verify I don't have any alternatives)
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Do you have more than the original 5 (or so) that we used last time?

Black Lives Matter

bb2112
End of Days
Location: Knowledge! It is almost as important as money, luck, and family connections.

Post by bb2112 »

I'll play whatever is left. I am assuming a D&D type set up in which I could play magic user, cleric, or fighter. I will let Remus choose first.
That's no reason to cry. One cries because one is sad. For example, I cry because others are stupid, and that makes me sad.
Why would I stab an Oracle? Wait, what am I saying? Why wouldn't I stab an Oracle? - Belkar Bitterleaf
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

TheMix wrote:Do you have more than the original 5 (or so) that we used last time?
Besides the standard D&D classes that are in the core book, here's a list of playbooks I have on my harddrive

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/280 ... ybooks.txt

There are some that are more "balanced" than others as most of those are user created versus ones from the official source with playtesting. That's why I'm asking what kind of character concept you might have so I could see if I have a playbook, or a set of them that could fit.
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

Can my druid play? Or was he too disruptive?
Bayraktar!!!!

Trump and the GOP; putting the banana in our Republic.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Dungeon World SRD

Basic Player Moves and Official Classes

Form Fillable Character Sheet

So, the 2nd link has a list of all the "official" character classes, including the thief Moliere. The last link has the blank character sheet that you can fill in
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Post deleted
Last edited by IceBear on Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

IB - let me give it a good read through over weekend; but whatever floats your boat. I just enjoyed playing.
Bayraktar!!!!

Moliere

Post by Moliere »

IceBear wrote:So, the 2nd link has a list of all the "official" character classes, including the thief Moliere.
I am fine with the default Thief unless you think your sheets on Assassin or Rogue would be more interesting.

In looking at the character sheet do I fill everything in? So I choose my alignment, race, etc? Do we scan them back to you when they are completed?
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Yeah, you fill it in as best you can (there is an array of stats you assign on the thief page in the black border on top of the stats - they are hard to see). When something tells you to add your Constitution they mean your score, not your mod. So, if you have 12 Constitution, your hitpoints is 6+12=18. If something says + CON, then they mean your modifier which would be 0.

Best to download it, fill it in, Save a local copy and then either upload it to your own Dropbox (or other filesharing service) and add the link or just email it to me (thaleric at yahoo.com)

Some questions for you:

What have you just stolen and why is it so valuable?
Who is trying to get it back from you?
Who asked you to steal it for them and where do you need to bring it?
What is the name of the mountain pass that you are currently travelling along?

I will have more questions once I see your sheet
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Email sent with the sheet and answers to your questions, though I'm not sure it's what you're looking for.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Moliere wrote:Email sent with the sheet and answers to your questions, though I'm not sure it's what you're looking for.
They are fine for now though I will probably ask for more details as we move along
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Had trouble with the email app on my phone so I don't know if you saw that your stats are too high. There is an array of values to use on the sheet above the stats (in the black border between the top section and the stats).

I won't reveal your other answers here unless you want, but since the name of the pass is part of the world I will ask some questions about Zigana Pass. You have heard a legend about this pass. What is it? There is a tribe of orcs living in the mountains. What are they called and what do they hate halflings more than any other race? :p
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

IceBear wrote:
TheMix wrote:Do you have more than the original 5 (or so) that we used last time?
Besides the standard D&D classes that are in the core book, here's a list of playbooks I have on my harddrive

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/280 ... ybooks.txt

There are some that are more "balanced" than others as most of those are user created versus ones from the official source with playtesting. That's why I'm asking what kind of character concept you might have so I could see if I have a playbook, or a set of them that could fit.
:shock:

That is a lot LOT. Wow.

There were a lot that I could only speculate.

I was thinking about a tracker/scout/archer. I see there is a Marksman (Edit: On second look, there is also a Hunter). Not sure if that would fit the bill. However, I'm a little concerned that we might leave ourselves without a front-line fighter. So I could also go with something like the Gladiator or Templar.

Black Lives Matter

IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Don't worry about the party needs at this point. Just what kind of character do you want to play. The rest will work itself out when playing.

Here is some info about the hunter
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

IceBear wrote:
I got a alternative druid playbook from one of the more reputable publishers of DW stuff that I would probably prefer over the original one. It reins in the shapeshift a bit and feels more like the D&D druid

This is what it has for starting druid moves:
Is there a write up for the skin walker? if so can you link & I will download it?

Can i still use my druid, feras, but change him to skinwalker and all the other appropriate changes...he was 1 xp from leveling. Or do you wish i start over?

i think we're up to 5 players. Will that be an issue? Any room for more or are we full? (love having scoop around and his chaoticness)
Moliere
Remus
BB
The Mix
Newcastle

I'll link my druid here
Bayraktar!!!!

IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Five is fine, but since everyone else is starting over, I'd rather have everyone start over.

Here is a link to the playsheet for the new druid with the skinwalker power. It's not form fillable and I don't want to upload the actual playbook as I had to buy it so don't want people to find it and then download it.
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

IceBear wrote:Five is fine, but since everyone else is starting over, I'd rather have everyone start over.

Here is a link to the playsheet for the new druid with the skinwalker power. It's not form fillable and I don't want to upload the actual playbook as I had to buy it so don't want people to find it and then download it.
I was still lvl 1, just 1 point away from lvling. :( So its really not that large of an advantage. But if you want me to start over rather than a reskinning the druid to a skin walker, then i shall.

Edit to add: Thanks for the link. Am sure I'll have more Qs over the weekend.
Bayraktar!!!!

IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Newcastle wrote:
IceBear wrote:Five is fine, but since everyone else is starting over, I'd rather have everyone start over.

I was still lvl 1, just 1 point away from lvling. :( So its really not that large of an advantage. But if you want me to start over rather than a reskinning the druid to a skin walker, then i shall.

Edit to add: Thanks for the link. Am sure I'll have more Qs over the weekend.
Not trying to be an ass about it, just thinking that your background and stuff might change compared to what you had in the past once you answer the questions that the sheet asks. It'll essentially be a reskin, without the XP :(
bb2112
End of Days

Post by bb2112 »

Ok, what is the Battlemind?
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

bb2112 wrote:Ok, what is the Battlemind?
Here's the description from the playbook (sorry, this one doesn't have a nice playsheet like the others so I'll have to piece it out for you):
While many psionics learn how to telekinetically throw objects or mentally assault their foes, you
are different: your body is a weapon. Or rather, it can be. With a thought your arms become
blades that can cut through the toughest armor, and your skin can turn aside swords and arrows
alike.
Many believe that the original battleminds were the t’pual, who mastered the art of
mentally reshaping their newfound bodies, but a few claim that they found themselves suddenly
capable of twisting their bodies into horrifying weapons after miraculously escaping the tendrils
of the thulid.

Questions
● What is the most powerful creature you have slain?
● What fight did you have to flee from?
● Who helped nurture your psionic powers?
● How does it feel to change your shape?

Starting Moves
Choose any race and how you acquired your psionic powers:
Learned
Over many years you have learned to hone your mind, like a finely crafted and balanced blade.
When you use psionic focus , on a 10+ take +1d4 damage forward.
Mutation
Your powers manifested from too much Far Realm exposure. When you shape your body into
weapons or armor, there is always an organic component like eyes, mouths, or chitin. When you
use psionic focus , regain hit points equal to the number of focus you gain.
Innate
Your mind is a naturally flowing wellspring of psionic power. You start with mindspark .

You start with these moves:
Armored
You ignore the clumsy tag on armor you wear.
Body Armor
As long as you hold focus you can always choose to defy danger against a weapon by
enduring. With a thought you can harden your skin: when you are hit by an attack, you can
spend 1 focus to reduce the damage you take by 1d4.
Living Weapon
When you spend a few moments concentrating, one or both of your hands transforms into a
weapon with the hand and close tags. When you hit a creature with a melee attack, you can
spend 1 focus to deal +1d4 damage.
Psionic Focus
When you spend a few moments to try gather and focus your psionic energies during
combat , lose all focus and roll+CON. ✴On a 10+, gain 3 focus. ✴On a 79,
gain 2 focus. ✴On a miss, gain 1 focus in addition to whatever else the GM says.

[[SIDEBAR
On a miss...
- When you spend your focus, it has an adverse affect.
- While you hold focus, you take -1 ongoing.
- You are stunned for a few moments.
- You suffer from a psychic cascade take -1 forward, or -1 ongoing until you rest for a while.
- You take -1 ongoing to use psionic focus until you make camp.
- You gain the weak, shaky, stunned, or confused debility.
]]
I do believe this is one of the more unbalanced playbooks that people have made, but at the same time if you want to play it you can, I just might be extra harsh with any bad rolls.
bb2112
End of Days

Post by bb2112 »

Sorry to make you do work, but can you post the Overlord and Dragon Mage?

I really don't want to be a cleric, but I assume we are going to need one. Do we have any volunteers?
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

I might not get to it until tomorrow as I am heading out to a friend's house shortly. If Newcastle plays that druid he'll be able to heal.

I will be honest but suspect those two classes are either advanced classes that you can't start in or poorly designed ones by people in the forums...I'll take a look later
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

IceBear wrote:I might not get to it until tomorrow as I am heading out to a friend's house shortly. If Newcastle plays that druid he'll be able to heal.

I will be honest but suspect those two classes are either advanced classes that you can't start in or poorly designed ones by people in the forums...I'll take a look later
I'll pay more attention later, but as long as i can do more than just slap bandages and go "heal ye youu foul brethren" and slap the foreheads in a motion of purity...i wont mind being a healer.
Bayraktar!!!!

IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Newcastle wrote:
IceBear wrote:I might not get to it until tomorrow as I am heading out to a friend's house shortly. If Newcastle plays that druid he'll be able to heal.

I'll pay more attention later, but as long as i can do more than just slap bandages and go "heal ye youu foul brethren" and slap the foreheads in a motion of purity...i wont mind being a healer.
Yeah, one of the things you can do with Primal Magic is heal someone for 1d8 damage. Like I said, this one makes the druid more like the nature spellcaster from D&D and reins in the craziness of the shapeshifting.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

bb2112 wrote:Sorry to make you do work, but can you post the Overlord and Dragon Mage?

I really don't want to be a cleric, but I assume we are going to need one. Do we have any volunteers?
Actually had a bit of time before I left. The Overlord isn't really a player class now that I read it. It was somebody's attempt to come up with an NPC for the big, bad, evil overlord trying to dominate the world.

Not sure where I got the dragon mage from but it's a blurry scan that I must have downloaded from somewhere. Looking at it, it looks like the battlemind in that I suspect I got it from one of the fan sites somewhere and it's little on the overpowered and splashy side. Again, I don't have a problem with you playing it, it just means that the negatives will be emphasized to balance it with more balanced classes.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Don't know if you have room for one more, but my ranger would like to be resurrected from zombie follower if you do. ;)

I still have the same restrictions that in general, M through Th, I can only post in the morning (7:30-8:30 AM time frame) and then evening (roughly 7pm-midnight), Eastern.

If you don't have room or the hours or not adequate for your more active question plan, that's cool. Would have responded sooner, but don't read this section of the forum every day (don't participate in the various WW games).

Even if I don't play though, looking forward to reading this. :)
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

bb2112 wrote:Sorry to make you do work, but can you post the Overlord and Dragon Mage?

I'm happy to play the box of bandaids. I'll need to look over the cleric concepts though so it may be a bit (hopefully today, certainly tomorrow) before I finish and send in my character.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Zenn7 wrote:Don't know if you have room for one more, but my ranger would like to be resurrected from zombie follower if you do. ;)

I still have the same restrictions that in general, M through Th, I can only post in the morning (7:30-8:30 AM time frame) and then evening (roughly 7pm-midnight), Eastern.

If you don't have room or the hours or not adequate for your more active question plan, that's cool. Would have responded sooner, but don't read this section of the forum every day (don't participate in the various WW games).

Even if I don't play though, looking forward to reading this. :)
Sure. but your character will have to restart at L1 with no xp to keep it fair. This is a completely different world from the last one, and as such your origin and bonds will have to be re-written.

Some questions:

- What unfortunate occurrence has just happened that has lead you to be in the Zigana Pass in the company of a halfling thief (and the rest of the party?)
- Tomorrow night is has both moons full at the same time and in conjunction with each other, an event that happens only once every 100 years. What is said to happen on such a night?
- The human race is in decline. Why?
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

IceBear wrote:
Zenn7 wrote:
Sure. but your character will have to restart at L1 with no xp to keep it fair. This is a completely different world from the last one, and as such your origin and bonds will have to be re-written.

Some questions:

- What unfortunate occurrence has just happened that has lead you to be in the Zigana Pass in the company of a halfling thief (and the rest of the party?)
- Tomorrow night is has both moons full at the same time and in conjunction with each other, an event that happens only once every 100 years. What is said to happen on such a night?
- The human race is in decline. Why?
Yes, I had assumed I'd start over at level 1, just meant I'd like to play a Ranger (w/ either a wolf or a big cat (Panther or Tiger or something like that if it is an option) - have to look at the Ranger sheet again). :)

I'll get the character written up and over to you later tonight.

In answer to these 3 questions, I'm going to answer them in reverse:

Human race is in decline - a famine is on the human lands. Food does not grow well, if at all, the livestock are starving, overhunting - banditry/wars on the rise as food becomes more scarce.

When both moons rise, the moonlight shines on a hidden lake, that is rumored to have magical restorative (growth/healing) properties.

The forest I live in (I live there, it is "the forest" to me - others refer to it as the Howling Woods - many creatures live there, lots of howling, the folks that live outside are simple, not terribly imaginative lot) has started dying as the plague from the human lands spreads. I am seeking the hidden lake primarily to restore my forest, and perhaps help the humans as a secondary goal. I heard a rumor that it was in/just past the Zigana pass (in the direction we are heading, in vs past based on how far we could be away from it and still travel that far by tomorrow night). Having encountered the rest of the party as they were entering the pass, I offered to join the party as we travel through the pass - being well aware of the orcs and striving for safety in numbers (even being mostly a loner, I still grasp the concept).