Dungeon World Character and World Creation

This is the place for self-contained forum games

Moderator: Zaxxon

bb2112
End of Days
Location: Knowledge! It is almost as important as money, luck, and family connections.

Re: Thinking of starting Dungeon World again

Post by bb2112 »

IceBear wrote:
bb2112 wrote:Sorry to make you do work, but can you post the Overlord and Dragon Mage?

I really don't want to be a cleric, but I assume we are going to need one. Do we have any volunteers?
Actually had a bit of time before I left. The Overlord isn't really a player class now that I read it. It was somebody's attempt to come up with an NPC for the big, bad, evil overlord trying to dominate the world.

Not sure where I got the dragon mage from but it's a blurry scan that I must have downloaded from somewhere. Looking at it, it looks like the battlemind in that I suspect I got it from one of the fan sites somewhere and it's little on the overpowered and splashy side. Again, I don't have a problem with you playing it, it just means that the negatives will be emphasized to balance it with more balanced classes.
I am going to try my hand at the Dragon Mage. I will try to get the sheet filled out and to you tomorrow. :D
That's no reason to cry. One cries because one is sad. For example, I cry because others are stupid, and that makes me sad.
Why would I stab an Oracle? Wait, what am I saying? Why wouldn't I stab an Oracle? - Belkar Bitterleaf
BCY4920 - You can suck it Johnny Angel.
IceBear

Re: Thinking of starting Dungeon World again

Post by IceBear »

Going to update the first post and put in a link to a Google Drive folder that you should be able to read and edit. That way you should be able to just upload your characters to it (or any changes you make to it - less work for me :) )
Newcastle

Re: Dungeon World Redux about to Start

Post by Newcastle »

I think i am going to bow out. I really want to play but time and irregularity may prevent me from participating in a satisfactory level.
Bayraktar!!!!

Trump and the GOP; putting the banana in our Republic.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Well guess this one is done before it started. Oh well, it seems to be that way this week
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

IceBear wrote:Well guess this one is done before it started. Oh well, it seems to be that way this week
:?:
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Doesn't seem to be enough players. Zenn7 is playing but he's not going to be posting much and Newcastle is out. Only have 2 characters so I'll leave this open until the end of the week but not expecting much. Also having a bad day (woke up at 3am and couldn't go back to sleep and the real life game that I was going to start on Saturday is cancelled due to one player not wanting to play anything other than D&D (and since we play at his house...) So, just blah!
stessier

Post by stessier »

I've just been reading along, but I counted TheMix, Remus, Zenn7, Moilere and bb2112 (along with Newcastle before he dropped out).
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
bb2112
End of Days
Location: Knowledge! It is almost as important as money, luck, and family connections.

Post by bb2112 »

I still want to play! I will try to have my character done tonight, but I really don't know what I'm doing so bear with me. You may have to work with me a little. That is as long as you are still willing to run it IB? :D
That's no reason to cry. One cries because one is sad. For example, I cry because others are stupid, and that makes me sad.
Why would I stab an Oracle? Wait, what am I saying? Why wouldn't I stab an Oracle? - Belkar Bitterleaf
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Hmmm....I must have missed someone in my count. Ok....I will see how many characters I have by Friday-ish.

Yeah I will help with the characters. Just make the decisions that are asked on the sheet and upload to the Google Drive folder and I will double check and fill in the fiddly bits
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Icebear, put me down as alternate/stand-in please. I'd love to play again but don't want to take anyone's place.
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

I would be interested in playing. Email and forum access mostly at night but I can often check in around lunch if we were in a tricky situation. Never played Dungeon world but I know the system.
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

IceBear wrote:Doesn't seem to be enough players. Zenn7 is playing but he's not going to be posting much and Newcastle is out. Only have 2 characters so I'll leave this open until the end of the week but not expecting much. Also having a bad day (woke up at 3am and couldn't go back to sleep and the real life game that I was going to start on Saturday is cancelled due to one player not wanting to play anything other than D&D (and since we play at his house...) So, just blah!
You had me at Blah!

TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I'm not sure how to edit my sheet. What are people using to edit the pdfs?

I'm mulling over the hunter. Having a hunter and ranger seems redundant. But I'm thinking of mixing mine up a bit.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

There should be a blank playsheet pdf that's form fillable. Download that and then fill in the details from the playsheet for the hunter (sorry that one was designed to be printed and written on). Once you have filled it in save it as your character's name and put it the folder and I'll review it
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Note that I'm interested in playing but I'm not going to do anything unless there is a need for another player; I'm on the wait list behind Scoop.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

If anyone is interested in playing go ahead and send in a character or character concept. Right now if I wanted to start I only have two characters (seem to have misplaced the halfling thief) and one of those players has limited posting times :)
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

You lost me?!?!

IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Scoop20906 wrote:You lost me?!?!
:p

I have a backup copy of all the characters from the last game. This is a NEW game with new characters. Moliere is playing a halfling thief this game and I am sure he sent in his character but I seem to have misplaced it...I will find it when I get home

Edit: Found him...I forgot that in an attempt to be better organized this time I made some folders and forgot that's where I moved him :)
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

I'm going to play a dwarven cleric I think. I can not find how being a dwarf impacts my character. :cry:
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Planning a fighter. Either human or dwarf would work but I'm leaning towards human due to your question about humans declining. Very interested in multiclass dabbling into bard to create a skald (although my inspiration is not really nordic). I'll be away from a computer much of the day but will post tonight.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Madmarcus wrote:Planning a fighter. Either human or dwarf would work but I'm leaning towards human due to your question about humans declining. Very interested in multiclass dabbling into bard to create a skald (although my inspiration is not really nordic). I'll be away from a computer much of the day but will post tonight.
Ok...I have an alternative fighter playbook from the same guys that made the alternative druid. I will post that in the Drive folder later and you can choose which one you like. I think the main difference is the default one focuses on the signature weapon where the alternative is more about the character's skill
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Cool. Character skill seems like a better fit than just a specific weapon.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Remus West wrote:I'm going to play a dwarven cleric I think. I can not find how being a dwarf impacts my character. :cry:
Dwarf
You are one with stone. When you commune you are also granted a special version of Words of the Unspeaking as a rote which only works on stone.
Words of the Unspeaking Level 5
With a touch you speak to the spirits within things. The non-living object you touch answers three questions you pose, as best it can.
tru1cy

Post by tru1cy »

As much as I want to play I don't think a play by forum is what I'm looking for at the moment. I've been searching a real game with little to no luck.
xbox live gamertag:Soulchilde
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Posted deleted
Last edited by IceBear on Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

tru1cy wrote:As much as I want to play I don't think a play by forum is what I'm looking for at the moment. I've been searching a real game with little to no luck.
That's much of the reason I'm running this. My local group is alternating between a 2nd Edition AD&D game (that I've played to death in the 90s) and a Shadowrun game which I'm playing in. It's leaving me with no room to fit in a game to run (coupled with the fact that the guy whose house we play at is resistant to trying out other systems that I'm dying to run - Spirit of 77, The Strange, Shadow of the Demon Lord, etc, etc) so I've given up and running a PbP is the only way for me to get the creative need to create and run a world out (and games based on Apocalypse Engine is probably the easiest to run PbP)
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

IceBear wrote:
Remus West wrote:I'm going to play a dwarven cleric I think. I can not find how being a dwarf impacts my character. :cry:
Dwarf
You are one with stone. When you commune you are also granted a special version of Words of the Unspeaking as a rote which only works on stone.
With a touch you speak to the spirits within things. The non-living object you touch answers three questions you pose, as best it can.
Is there any impact on my stats? I didn't create the character I was playing last time, only stepped in for someone who had to step out so I've never done this part before.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Remus West wrote:
IceBear wrote:
Dwarf
Is there any impact on my stats? I didn't create the character I was playing last time, only stepped in for someone who had to step out so I've never done this part before.
Nope...this is pretty rules light so there aren't any racial modifiers to stats or anything. Everyone is going to start with the same stats that they can assign where they want. After that, the stats only change when you level or if the GM feels generous :)

Here is the array of stats you have to work with. The first number is the score and the second is the modifier (and in newer Apocalypse Engine games they don't even bother with the score, just modifiers).
16 (+2), 15(+1), 13 (+1), 12 (0), 9 (0), and 8 (-1)

Here is the Level Up move again:
Level Up
When you have downtime (hours or days) and XP equal to (or greater than) your current level + 7, subtract your current level +7 from your XP, increase your level by 1, and choose a new advanced move from your class. If you are the wizard, you also get to add a new spell to your spellbook.
Choose one of your stats and increase it by 1 (this may change your modifier). Changing your Constitution increases your maximum and current HP. Ability scores can’t go higher than 18.
One thing to notice there, you're hitpoints won't go up unless you raise your Constitution and then just by 1 point each time you increase it.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Ice bear, the variant fighter is interesting but sort of dull. Fits pretty well though. I'll think on things as I drive across town.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Keep on mind that there are advanced moves that you can take as you level. I didn't paste them because that would have been too much but I believe you can use them to spice it up...I'll post a couple later

Edit: I took a look at them, yeah, they are mostly about making you better in combat but there's nothing "sexy" about most of them. +1 bonuses or a little extra damage
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

That is it exactly. It's not a bad package and I'm sure the advanced moves are good but it's not sexy. I'm not thrilled with signature weapons but somehow that is a sexier option.
bb2112
End of Days

Post by bb2112 »

As much as I want to play, I am having trouble building my character. After this week I will be fine, but it seems like things are moving too fast for me while I'm in Mexico and I feel like I am holding things up.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

bb2112 wrote:As much as I want to play, I am having trouble building my character. After this week I will be fine, but it seems like things are moving too fast for me while I'm in Mexico and I feel like I am holding things up.
Don't worry about it. I am less cranky today (wonders of getting a good night's sleep). I am fine with waiting until next week.
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Can I play the secret villain character? Oops did I say that out loud?

Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

I don't know if this will get answered before I put a character sheet up but I'll ask anyway; should I assume a Western centric fantasy world or is it ok to bring in some things that smack of martial arts? In looking at things a weapon focused Initiate matches some of my concept (ability to specialize with a type of weapon not a specific weapon, somewhat sexy) but I am leery of getting into something with such a specific feel when I was initially going for more of a Celtic hero idea.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

At this point in time all I know about the world is that there are two moons, the human lands are in decline, there's the Howling Woods not far from the Zigana Pass ( which is filled with halfling hating orcs). Oh and that there might be a magical lake appearing tomorrow night.

There is a lot of collaboration expected from the players in creating the world as we play so feel free to inject whatever flavor you want with your character.

Once I get a character sheet from each player I plan on asking some specific questions
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

I'll be putting my character together during my lunch break today. :D
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Feel free to remove the material you posted in this thread about an alternative fighter. I've uploaded a class description (the peerless fighter) to the drive. Would you be willing to swap weapon mastery from it with the signature weapon on a normal fighter? It looks very similar but it doesn't feel as much like my character's weapon is more important than the character.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

So you'd be playing the normal fighter that has the mastery from the peerless fighter instead of signature weapon? Sure that's fine with me
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Remus West wrote:I'll be putting my character together during my lunch break today. :D
Ok....be prepared for a lot of back and forth questions as your character will be the first taste of religion, gods, divine magic and dwarves we have in this world