Dungeon World Character and World Creation

This is the place for self-contained forum games

Moderator: Zaxxon

Madmarcus

Re: Dungeon World Redux about to Start

Post by Madmarcus »

IceBear wrote:So you'd be playing the normal fighter that has the mastery from the peerless fighter instead of signature weapon? Sure that's fine with me
Yes.
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

What is the roster right now? Just following along.
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

IceBear wrote:
Remus West wrote:I'll be putting my character together during my lunch break today. :D
Ok....be prepared for a lot of back and forth questions as your character will be the first taste of religion, gods, divine magic and dwarves we have in this world
Sweet! :D
Am I allowed to "make" my own god? I have a fun idea.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Remus West wrote:
IceBear wrote:
Remus West wrote:I'll be putting my character together during my lunch break today. :D
Ok....be prepared for a lot of back and forth questions as your character will be the first taste of religion, gods, divine magic and dwarves we have in this world
Sweet! :D
Am I allowed to "make" my own god? I have a fun idea.
Yes, not only your own god but possible the entire pantheon of gods (if there's more than one). On your cleric sheet there's a section called Deity where you'll name your god and pick some information on them.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Scoop20906 wrote:What is the roster right now? Just following along.
Right now I have the following character sheets:

Dar, human ranger played by Zenn7
Omar the halfling thief played by Moliere

TheMix is thinking about playing a hunter but haven't heard from him in awhile

Remus is going to be playing a dwarven cleric and should have a character sheet shortly

bb2112 is going to be playing a dragon mage but he's away until next week

madmarcus is going to be playing a fighter...just waiting on his filled in character sheet.
bb2112
End of Days
Location: Knowledge! It is almost as important as money, luck, and family connections.

Post by bb2112 »

How do the stats work? I think I understand that I get to assign them to Str, Wis, etc., but there is a number in parenthesis. For example, 16(+2), does that mean I can make a stat 18? I assume there would a penalty for doing so, and how would I find that penalty?
That's no reason to cry. One cries because one is sad. For example, I cry because others are stupid, and that makes me sad.
Why would I stab an Oracle? Wait, what am I saying? Why wouldn't I stab an Oracle? - Belkar Bitterleaf
BCY4920 - You can suck it Johnny Angel.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

No....Moliere had the same misunderstanding and I think it's why the other games just use the modifier.

So the first number is your actual stat...16. The second is the dice modifier (which you put in the smaller box). Take a look at the ranger's character sheet in the shared folder to get a sense.

So if you put 16 in Strength then your STR is +2. The way the game works is if you describe something and I feel it warrants a dice roll I will tell you to roll 2d6 and add a modifier to it. So if you say that you are attempting to slash a goblin with your sword that triggers a move called Hack and Slash which says to roll 2d6+STR (in this case +2). Clear as mud?

I will be linking to a dice rolling site later
tru1cy

Post by tru1cy »

If someone drops I'll play a Tiefling Warlock
xbox live gamertag:Soulchilde
bb2112
End of Days
Location: Knowledge! It is almost as important as money, luck, and family connections.

Post by bb2112 »

Cool! Thanks for the clarification!
That's no reason to cry. One cries because one is sad. For example, I cry because others are stupid, and that makes me sad.
Why would I stab an Oracle? Wait, what am I saying? Why wouldn't I stab an Oracle? - Belkar Bitterleaf
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

I'm available to play characters if someone needs to be AFK while an extended period of time and want to come back and take over.

I promise not to get you too killed.
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Scoop20906 wrote:I promise not to get you too killed.
Contrary to your MO? :ninja:
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
bb2112
End of Days

Post by bb2112 »

I need a little help filling in the doc. I don't have scanner abilities at the moment.

S 16(+2)
D 13(+1)
C 12(+0)
I 15(+1)
W 9(+0)
CH 8(-1)

Drive: Ambition and Power - Endanger others for my own gain
Dragon's Desire: Cruelty - When your dragon's desire overtakes you, you have a burning need to make someone suffer, by any means available. Whenever you take damage you take +2 to forward damage against the cause of your damage. You lose this bonus when next you take damage.

For Gear I have a question. It says I can have a sword, can I use it in combat? Also I am assuming I have some other starting gear like a cloak, boots, etc. How do I find that?

For Looks, there are 4 lines, do I pick 1 thing from each line? Assuming yes:
Burning Eyes
Hunched Body very thin almost sickly looking
Scaled patches of skin - why I have an 8 CH
Not sure about the next one - Either whip like tail or burning blood. When I have a held blaze spiked tail is one of the items on the list, do I need to have a the tail so I can pick spiked tail as an option?

Race, what races are available? I would love to be a lizard like race.

Sorry for so many questions.
bb2112
End of Days

Post by bb2112 »

Also, backstory and world creation. What should I be doing here?
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

bb2112 wrote:Also, backstory and world creation. What should I be doing here?
For right now, just think about what kind of character you are playing - motivations and personality and try to stick to that when making decisions for the character. I will create a character sheet for you and then ask some specific questions to you.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

I have the same issue as bb2112 right now plus inability to access dropbox but I'll post my stuff here soon.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

bb2112 wrote:I need a little help filling in the doc. I don't have scanner abilities at the moment.

S 16(+2)
D 13(+1)
C 12(+0)
I 15(+1)
W 9(+0)
CH 8(-1)

Dragon's Desire: Cruelty - When your dragon's desire overtakes you, you have a burning need to make someone suffer, by any means available. Whenever you take damage you take +2 to forward damage against the cause of your damage. You lose this bonus when next you take damage.

For Gear I have a question. It says I can have a sword, can I use it in combat? Also I am assuming I have some other starting gear like a cloak, boots, etc. How do I find that?

Burning Eyes
Not sure about the next one - Either whip like tail or burning blood. When I have a held blaze spiked tail is one of the items on the list, do I need to have a the tail so I can pick spiked tail as an option?

1) I need a name for your character.

2) Yes, you can use a sword. Despite the class being called dragon mage I see very little "mage" to it. It's more of a dragonborn race than anything.

3) There's a section called Gear on page 2. You need to pick two items from that list. Stuff like clothing and whatnot is assumed (maybe not anything very valuable but minor stuff like that is assumed)

4) You can choose to have a tail...it's just not normally usable as a weapon unless you have blaze. If you choose not to have a tail we can assume that when you have blaze and let the dragon magic course through you, you grow one then (or maybe just a magical one so it doesn't rip a hole in your pants everytime - that detail can be up to you)

5) The races tend to be typical with your standard fantasy - dwarf, elf, halfling, human. If you want to be from a lizard like race, you can (heck in D&D there's a race that's essentially half-dragon half-man called Dragonborn). Since there isn't one detailed in the rules, what you want to call it, what they look like, their attitude towards the rest of the world (and the rest of the world with them) is all up to you. My only point is you're travelling with a dwarf, halfling and a human (and maybe other races) so whatever you pick try to make it reasonable that the rest of the group would accept you (your drive and desire already make you not so much of a team player)

All the above said, that's the problem with some custom books, they don't follow the typical layout. Pretty much all the other ones have you choose a race and that choice impacts your character someway. This one doesn't give a choice so I believe the assumption is you're human with some dragon blood in you - which would be the easiest choice (especially given you have scaly patches on your skin - which wouldn't make sense for a lizard race - yeah, pretty sure it's assumed your one of the standard humanoid races with some dragon blood in you which is why you have the odd physical appearances)
Last edited by IceBear on Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

I have a bit of a start:
Rurgosh the Dwarven Cleric

Sharp Eyes, Mohawk (strange hair), Common Garb, Knobby Body

Str: 9
Dex: 12
Con: 16 +2
Int: 13 +1
Wis: 15 +1
Cha: 8 -1

Evil - will harm others to advance the cause of my faith

I am working on converting Dar to my faith

My Diety's name is............Orso Di Ghiaccio - God of hidden things and knowledge. Precept: Trial by Combat - petition through personal victory

His avatar is a great white bear similar to those common to my Northern home but much much larger. The smaller white bears, called Polar Bears, in the common tongue are venerated as his children and treated with respect and awe (along with no small portion of fear). When properly petitioned they act as guides to all sorts of knowledge and treasures. When improperly petitioned they tend to claw. Leaving marks similar to the three jagged scars that run along the right side of Rurgosh's head/face from the top of his eye down the back of his neck. Those that survive the application of these marks by his children are said to be favored of Orso Di Ghiaccio. Those that would slay his children are considered to be the worst sort of sinner and must be punished. This punishment typically takes the form of removing all knowledge from the sinner's head by removing the brain and crafting a drinking mug from the skull. None of faith would ever drink from these cursed vessels though lest the sin pass into them.

Rurgosh has traveled to this inhospitably hot clime in order to track down a group of Southerners who committed atrocities by slaying and skinning one of Orso's children and not at all due to a lack of trust in him by his high priest. Nope, not the trust thing at all. Simply the need to punish sinners. That nobody saw. And left no tracks.

Hows that for a start?
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Wow...this party is almost completely evil. Not sure how that's going to work out as I tend to prefer good/neutral alignments as otherwise I find there's little reason for a group of strangers to work together or to go on most quests. Anyway...let's see how it goes

Anyway, that's good Remus...let me copy it to a sheet for you soonish... :)

Zenn7, you might want to change your alignment so you aren't constantly butting heads with everyone else.
stessier

Post by stessier »

For the mad lootz!
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

IceBear wrote:Wow...this party is almost completely evil. Not sure how that's going to work out as I tend to prefer good/neutral alignments as otherwise I find there's little reason for a group of strangers to work together or to go on most quests. Anyway...let's see how it goes
A common enemy will bring even the most evil individuals together. :pop:
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Moliere wrote:
IceBear wrote:Wow...this party is almost completely evil. Not sure how that's going to work out as I tend to prefer good/neutral alignments as otherwise I find there's little reason for a group of strangers to work together or to go on most quests. Anyway...let's see how it goes
A common enemy will bring even the most evil individuals together. :pop:
Well, that will have to be up to you guys what that is. Right now you're the only one with an enemy and I find it difficult to believe any of the others will care enough about your problems :)
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

I don't picture my guy as evil so much as completely zealous. To him, if it brings you to god the removal of your right arm is a good deed while the removal of your arm just because you're an annoying prick is an evil deed. His violence is centered around the religious aspects of his world.

That said, the politics of his church are much like the medieval Christian church and are more about who you know than how faithful you are regarding your position. Thus the "quest" he got sent on.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Remus West wrote:I don't picture my guy as evil so much as completely zealous. To him, if it brings you to god the removal of your right arm is a good deed while the removal of your arm just because you're an annoying prick is an evil deed. His violence is centered around the religious aspects of his world.

That said, the politics of his church are much like the medieval Christian church and are more about who you know than how faithful you are regarding your position. Thus the "quest" he got sent on.
Ok...thanks for the clarification. Personally, I'd consider that more neutral with personal background tending you towards "evil" but I guess Evil was closest to what you're going for on the sheet. With that clarification I won't be expecting you not heal or help someone unless it's going to interfere with your religious plans like I am with the others :)
tru1cy

Post by tru1cy »

Anyway, that's good Remus...let me copy it to a sheet for you soonish... :)

Zenn7, you might want to change your alignment so you aren't constantly butting heads with everyone else.

You have the making of a Suicide Squad here. Every last one of them are prisoners of the King and have them magically tracked or under a very powerful geas and sent on mission for the Crown until they work off their respective debts :) just an idea

Man, I need to find a 5ed game
xbox live gamertag:Soulchilde
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Yeah, that'll be up to them...I'm hands off on world creation at this point. All I can do is ask leading questions - like I did for Moliere - I didn't ask him what his character is doing, I asked him what he recently stole and who was he running from. When Zenn7 mentioned a possible magical lake and that the human lands were in decline I thought my questions for the rest were going to be how that magical lake was going to help cure the human lands, now, not so much
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Wow, I spent the last few hours struggling to get a nicely formatted character sheet and tons went on. Ere, human fighter specialized in axe fighting has been uploaded. Unfortunately while I'm not officially working today I do have students coming by to build a robot in an hour or so which is going to cut into my interactions this afternoon.

Ere is a broad man with a shaved head, broad red mustache, and tanned skin. A born peasant he talked his way into a job as a merchants guard so he'd never have to farm. Through the years he has traveled far using his skill at fighting. His initial aim, money and a life better than a peasant is obviously good, but he has found that his real goal is measuring himself against others. I gave him a good charisma which isn't really mechanically useful because we thought is that would have some access to magic in words. I'm not sure how feasible it is but at least he's a slightly better than nothing party face.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Ok, bb2112, I have uploaded your character to the shared folder as bb2112_Dragon_Mage until I get a character name from you. Some of the suggested names are:

Names: (male) Dagran, Hennet, Ritorick, Gorblax, Lenmin, Nicobola, Yxor, Zyndalos,
(female)Elna, Chandra, Raliin, Ket, Zerna, Miitall, Andromeda, Bellax, Kalistar

I am going to make the assumption that you started as a human so I need to know your last physical trait: Burning Blood, Steaming Breath, or Whiplike Tail

Also need to know what equipment you chose as per the sheet:
Your Load is 7 + STR. You start with dungeon rations (5 uses, 1 weight).
Choose two:
⃞ An ancient sword (close, valuable, 1 weight)
⃞ 3 bottles of oil, stoppered with cloth
⃞ Bag of books (5 uses, 2 weight)
⃞ A small personal hoard of 200 coin (2 weight)
Now, some questions.

1) How did you become a dragon mage? Was this something you were born with? If so, describe your family. Was it an accident? If so, what happened
2) You were on your way through Zigana Pass towards where it is rumored that a magical lack is soon to appear. Why are you on your way there and where did you hear of this rumor?
3) On the way through the pass you first stumbled on a small, shady looking halfling. You suspect he has gold on him. Why haven't you killed him and taken it from him yet?
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Madmarcus wrote:Wow, I spent the last few hours struggling to get a nicely formatted character sheet and tons went on. Ere, human fighter specialized in axe fighting has been uploaded. Unfortunately while I'm not officially working today I do have students coming by to build a robot in an hour or so which is going to cut into my interactions this afternoon.

Ere is a broad man with a shaved head, broad red mustache, and tanned skin. A born peasant he talked his way into a job as a merchants guard so he'd never have to farm. Through the years he has traveled far using his skill at fighting. His initial aim, money and a life better than a peasant is obviously good, but he has found that his real goal is measuring himself against others. I gave him a good charisma which isn't really mechanically useful because we thought is that would have some access to magic in words. I'm not sure how feasible it is but at least he's a slightly better than nothing party face.
Thanks Madmarcus, I did see it there as I was finishing up the dragon mage. I'll have some questions for you and work on the cleric later but need to work now.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

IceBear wrote:
Remus West wrote:I don't picture my guy as evil so much as completely zealous. To him, if it brings you to god the removal of your right arm is a good deed while the removal of your arm just because you're an annoying prick is an evil deed. His violence is centered around the religious aspects of his world.

Ok...thanks for the clarification. Personally, I'd consider that more neutral with personal background tending you towards "evil" but I guess Evil was closest to what you're going for on the sheet. With that clarification I won't be expecting you not heal or help someone unless it's going to interfere with your religious plans like I am with the others :)
I might be inclined to charge a tithe for healing. I am out to advance my faith after all. :twisted:

Also, I put Evil because the only character I looked at before writing mine was the Thief. I could happily alter some ideas into a good cleric without changing my religion or back story much. Lastly, picture Orso Di Ghiaccio as neutral with a varied church. There will be Clerics of all alignments within his faith (much as the Catholic church contains exceptionally good Priests and Child molesters with others between the two extremes). Right now I'm sort of like a Missionary in South America.
bb2112
End of Days

Post by bb2112 »

IceBear wrote:
bb2112 wrote:I need a little help filling in the doc. I don't have scanner abilities at the moment.

S 16(+2)
D 13(+1)
C 12(+0)
I 15(+1)
W 9(+0)
CH 8(-1)

Burning Eyes

1) I need a name for your character.
Zordan (if I have to use a name off the list, then Yxor)
IceBear wrote: 2) Yes, you can use a sword. Despite the class being called dragon mage I see very little "mage" to it. It's more of a dragonborn race than anything.

3) There's a section called Gear on page 2. You need to pick two items from that list. Stuff like clothing and whatnot is assumed (maybe not anything very valuable but minor stuff like that is assumed)
Sweet.
1. Kobold underling (it is good to have servant) +2 Skill in hide - Name: Kobold - (who cares what his real name is)
2. Bag of Books (5 uses 2 Wt) Carried by my Kobold

General Gear:
Cloak - Black with large hood to hide my face with the patches of scales
Long sword
Boots - Black
Dungeon Rations - 5 Uses
Leather Armor - Black
Dagger

What am I allowed to use as a long range weapon? I would like to use a bow, but if that is not allowed, then throwing daggers. Please advise.
IceBear wrote: 4) You can choose to have a tail...it's just not normally usable as a weapon unless you have blaze. If you choose not to have a tail we can assume that when you have blaze and let the dragon magic course through you, you grow one then (or maybe just a magical one so it doesn't rip a hole in your pants everytime - that detail can be up to you)

5) The races tend to be typical with your standard fantasy - dwarf, elf, halfling, human. If you want to be from a lizard like race, you can (heck in D&D there's a race that's essentially half-dragon half-man called Dragonborn). Since there isn't one detailed in the rules, what you want to call it, what they look like, their attitude towards the rest of the world (and the rest of the world with them) is all up to you. My only point is you're travelling with a dwarf, halfling and a human (and maybe other races) so whatever you pick try to make it reasonable that the rest of the group would accept you (your drive and desire already make you not so much of a team player)

All the above said, that's the problem with some custom books, they don't follow the typical layout. Pretty much all the other ones have you choose a race and that choice impacts your character someway. This one doesn't give a choice so I believe the assumption is you're human with some dragon blood in you - which would be the easiest choice (especially given you have scaly patches on your skin - which wouldn't make sense for a lizard race - yeah, pretty sure it's assumed your one of the standard humanoid races with some dragon blood in you which is why you have the odd physical appearances)
I figure if I choose a lizard like race that the scales would fit into it and that there would probably be some prejidous (sp).

I come from a race of people called the Dragonborn by the other races. We call ourselves the People. We live far away, across the Candor mountains in the Firelands. In reality it is an extensive desert. Humans, Elves and most of the other races have heard of the Dragonborn, but most have never seen one. Dwarves are one of the few races that have regular contact with the People and that is mostly for trade. Being born of the desert we prefer hot/dry climates. My people are mostly neutral and are nomadic in nature. Very few ever travel outside of the Firelands or the Candor mountains where we go on trading expeditions with the dwarves.

Once every several generations a throwback is born among the People. This throwback will have some of the traits of the dragons they evolved from. They are usually distrusted by our people and often ostrasized. We don't speak of this with the other races, it is not something we are proud of. When my parents found that I was starting to exhibit the traits of a throwback, they worked to keep me away from the others of our tribe. Nearing puberty I started to more and more exhibit these traits and it got harder to hide. One day I lost my temper with another young adult of our tribe and at that moment I felt an overwhelming urge to hurt him, and hurt him I did. I jumped in the air with temporary wings and kicked him in the head so hard he went into a coma. After the incident, the Omarish (leader of our tribe) quickly figured out I was a throwback and I was banished from the tribe. That started my wandering. I went to the mountains and found my companion, Kobold. I found him useful and decided to keep him close. In my travels I felt very lonely and I don't like that. I've always wanted to belong to a community, but by being a throwback, I was never permitted, even in my own tribe. Maybe in other lands I can find more acceptance.

I, like Remus, find myself being more zealous in my quest for more power and treasure, than evil. I would consider myself chaotic neutral. If I can team up with a group that would help further my goals, so be it. I am selfish, but if I can see how it would be good for me to keep the group alive and working efficiently towards a common goal, I am going to do everything in my power to help the team. How else am I going to get my rewards? Especially if I can get more rewards working with others than I can by myself.
Last edited by bb2112 on Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bb2112
End of Days

Post by bb2112 »

IceBear wrote:
Now, some questions.

1) How did you become a dragon mage? Was this something you were born with? If so, describe your family. Was it an accident? If so, what happened
2) You were on your way through Zigana Pass towards where it is rumored that a magical lack is soon to appear. Why are you on your way there and where did you hear of this rumor?
3) On the way through the pass you first stumbled on a small, shady looking halfling. You suspect he has gold on him. Why haven't you killed him and taken it from him yet?
1. Answered above.
2. I was on my way threw Zigana Pass to go the lake. I did hear of the rumor and was curious. With such a rare event there may be an opportunity to find some treasure or, more importantly, gain power.
3. He can be useful. I am not real familiar with the people or the lands on this side of the Candor mountains. I need a guide. I have to find this lake. It is almost an obsession.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Sorry....you don't get any equipment that costs money unless it's on the sheet. So with your choices then you wouldn't have a sword. You can buy stuff later
bb2112
End of Days

Post by bb2112 »

IceBear wrote:Sorry....you don't get any equipment that costs money unless it's on the sheet. So with your choices then you wouldn't have a sword. You can buy stuff later
Ok. As far as a long range weapon, am I allowed to use a bow?
bb2112
End of Days

Post by bb2112 »

Are you good with the backstory?

And yes, I have a tail. :D
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

bb2112 wrote:
IceBear wrote:Sorry....you don't get any equipment that costs money unless it's on the sheet. So with your choices then you wouldn't have a sword. You can buy stuff later
You can use a bow, but a bow isn't one of your normal pieces of starting gear. If you find someone selling one you can buy one. Unlike other games, anyone can use any item or use any armor (unless there's something in the move that precludes it). In your particular case, no matter if you're using a dagger or a two handed sword you're going to deal 1-8 points of damage. That's what the damage die on the character sheet means. Now, there may be times where the fiction precludes using one weapon over another...you probably aren't going to cut through thick platemail with a dagger unless an opportunity comes up to get through the plates.

Technically your dragon breath is a ranged weapon

Just so you are aware, when I read your dragon desire:
Cruelty
When your dragon's desire overtakes you, you have a burning need to make someone suffer, by any means available. Whenever you take damage, you take +2 forward to damage against the cause of your damage. You lose this bonus when you next take damage.
that someone to me could mean a fellow party member. Sure, given what's going on at the time you'll probably want to hurt an enemy, but I can see many cases where it might be a party member. That's where I'm leaning more towards evil for you. Treasure or Power comes across as more Neutral and selfish.
bb2112
End of Days

Post by bb2112 »

IceBear wrote:
bb2112 wrote:
You can use a bow, but a bow isn't one of your normal pieces of starting gear. If you find someone selling one you can buy one. Unlike other games, anyone can use any item or use any armor (unless there's something in the move that precludes it). In your particular case, no matter if you're using a dagger or a two handed sword you're going to deal 1-8 points of damage. That's what the damage die on the character sheet means. Now, there may be times where the fiction precludes using one weapon over another...you probably aren't going to cut through thick platemail with a dagger unless an opportunity comes up to get through the plates.

Just so you are aware, when I read your dragon desire:
Cruelty
When your dragon's desire overtakes you, you have a burning need to make someone suffer, by any means available. Whenever you take damage, you take +2 forward to damage against the cause of your damage. You lose this bonus when you next take damage.
that someone to me could mean a fellow party member. Sure, given what's going on at the time you'll probably want to hurt an enemy, but I can see many cases where it might be a party member. That's where I'm leaning more towards evil for you. Treasure or Power comes across as more Neutral and selfish.
I was going back and forth on this. Maybe I should change it to the Treasure option.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Ok...so the only gear you are starting with is a bag of books and a kobold. What's the kobold's name? What do the other races think of kobolds? Are they hated and feared like in typical fantasy worlds?

The kobold has +1 loyalty, +2 Skill, and a Cost.

Please pick your skill from this list:
Skills
When you make a hireling, distribute points among one or more of these skills.
Adept
An adept has at least apprenticed to an arcane expert, but is not powerful in their own right. They’re the grad students of the arcane world.
Arcane Assistance—When an adept aids in the casting of a spell of lower level than their skill, the spell’s effects have greater range, duration, or potency. The exact effects depend on the situation and the spell and are up to the GM. The GM will describe what effects the assist will add before the spell is cast. The most important feature of casting with an adept is that any negative effects of the casting are focused on the adept first.
Burglar
Burglars are skilled in a variety of areas, most of them illicit or dangerous. They are good with devices and traps, but not too helpful in the field of battle.
Experimental Trap Disarming—When a burglar leads the way they can detect traps almost in time. If a trap would be sprung while a burglar is leading the way the burglar suffers the full effects but the players get +skill against the trap and add the burglar’s skill to their armor against the trap. Most traps leave a burglar in need of immediate healing. If the players Make Camp near the trap, the burglar can disarm it by the time camp is broken.
Minstrel
When a smiling face is needed to smooth things over or negotiate a deal a minstrel is always happy to lend their services for the proper price.
A Hero’s Welcome—When you enter a place of food, drink, or entertainment with a minstrel you will be treated as a friend by everyone present (unless your actions prove otherwise). You also subtract the minstrel’s skill from all prices in town.
Priest
Priests are the lower ranking clergy of a religion, performing minor offices and regular sacraments. While not granted spells themselves, they are able to call upon their deity for minor aid.
Ministry—When you make camp with a priest if you would normally heal you heal +skill HP.
First Aid—When a priest staunches your wounds heal 2×skill HP. You take -1 forward as their healing is painful and distracting.
Protector
A protector stands between their employer and the blades, fangs, teeth, and spells that would harm them.
Sentry—When a protector stands between you and an attack you increase your armor against that attack by the defender’s skill, then reduce their skill by 1 until they receive healing or have time to mend.
Intervene—When a protector helps you defy danger you may opt to take +1 from their aid. If you do you cannot get a 10+ result, a 10+ instead counts as a 7–9.
Tracker
Trackers know the secrets of following a trail, but they don’t have the experience with strange creatures and exotic locales that make for a great hunter.
Track—When a tracker is given time to study a trail while Making Camp, when camp is broken they can follow the trail to the next major change in terrain, travel, or weather.
Guide—When a tracker leads the way you automatically succeed on any Perilous Journey of a distance (in rations) lower than the tracker’s skill.
Warrior
Warriors are not masters of combat, but they are handy with a weapon.
Man-at-arms—When you deal damage while a warrior aids you add their skill to the damage done. If your attack results in consequences (like a counter attack) the man-at-arms takes the brunt of it.
Please pick your cost from this list:
Costs
•The Thrill of Victory
•Money
•Uncovered Knowledge
•Fame and Glory
•Debauchery
•Good Accomplished
Edit: Your choice on the Dragon's Desire...I can see bad things in all of them...cruelty is just the most obvious
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

bb2112, the latest version of your character is on the shared drive. I changed your appearance somewhat as it didn't make sense that it's noted that a dragonborn has scales. So, I said that someone of your normal scales (which are generally small and soft) has some more dragonlike ones coming in. Other than some books and food you have no starting equipment (the cloak, clothes, belt, pouches, etc are all assumed).
bb2112
End of Days

Post by bb2112 »

Minstrel - He does a lot of my negotiating for me since I don't know a lot of the customs of these lands.

Not sure of the costs. I was thinking he could be like minded and want knowledge and power.

So how about Uncovered Knowledge

He is fascinated by me since he has never met a creature with my abilities.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

bb2112 wrote:Minstrel - He does a lot of my negotiating for me since I don't know a lot of the customs of these lands.

Not sure of the costs. I was thinking he could be like minded and want knowledge and power.

So how about Uncovered Knowledge

He is fascinated by me since he has never met a creature with my abilities.
So kobolds are common amongst the other races? Just asking because in most fantasy games, kobolds are monsters like goblins and that would tend to offset the mintrel abilities. What's his name?