Dungeon World Campaign #2

This is the place for self-contained forum games

Moderator: Zaxxon

Madmarcus

Re: Dungeon World Campaign #2

Post by Madmarcus »

Seeing that the orcs are concentrating on the people in front of them Ere heads of the slope to where he's spotted a outcropping of rocks that looks particularly unstable. Putting his shoulder to a good sized boulder he pushes mightily trying to start a rockfall. Whether he manages to hit an orc or orcs or just distract them a bit he charge after the rocks getting his axe ready when he's almost on them.

Bend Bars?
Volley with rocks?
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Madmarcus wrote:Seeing that the orcs are concentrating on the people in front of them Ere heads of the slope to where he's spotted a outcropping of rocks that looks particularly unstable. Putting his shoulder to a good sized boulder he pushes mightily trying to start a rockfall. Whether he manages to hit an orc or orcs or just distract them a bit he charge after the rocks getting his axe ready when he's almost on them.

Bend Bars?
Volley with rocks?
Just to make sure we're on the same page you were even further away than the dwarf and hunter so you can totally do that but it won't be for awhile (sorry I fictionally had you far away in case you weren't able to do anything until later).

As for what you want to do, I am thinking Defy Danger-STR with the danger being you might cause more of an avalanche than you intended and get the rest of the party too. Sound reasonable?
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Remus West wrote:Can I separate from the Hunter a little bit so when he starts shooting they see him and overlook me as I try to get closer?
Sure. When he acts we will revisit this to see if they notice you. Probably will be a Defy Danger-Dex to hide when he attacks. If you succeed they might not notice you. Also he might wait to shoot until you are ready to attack (most likely).

Actually let's assume that. Make a Defy Danger-Dex with an extra +1 as they are focused on the hated halfling and it is pretty windy. If you succeed you can just deal your damage.

Going to be afk probably for the rest of the afternoon
bb2112
End of Days
Location: Knowledge! It is almost as important as money, luck, and family connections.

Post by bb2112 »

Hmmm, I can see this class is going to have a lot of drawbacks. I wanted to try something a little different and off the wall, but I can't set the party on fire every time I miss a roll. As Remus will tell you, that would mean a very burnt up party pretty quickly.

Well, I got us into this flaming mess... I draw on the Form of the Dragon.

I yell, "Stay back you vile beasts that smell of excrement! These travelers are mine and you will not harm them!"

Zordan draws on the Form of the Dragon: 2D6+2 = [5, 2]+2 = 9

That should give me 2 Blaze pts and I have to give in to my desire, so I want to do cruel things to the orcs who just set me on fire. No, I didn't set us on fire, they did by attacking us. It is clearly their fault and they need to pay.

For the Blaze points, 1 will go into armor 2 (+2 against fire) and the other will go into rending claws (pierce 3, messy) on the orc that is closest to me.

Zordan attacks closes Orc with Rending Claws : 2D6+2 = [4, 5]+2 = 11
That's no reason to cry. One cries because one is sad. For example, I cry because others are stupid, and that makes me sad.
Why would I stab an Oracle? Wait, what am I saying? Why wouldn't I stab an Oracle? - Belkar Bitterleaf
BCY4920 - You can suck it Johnny Angel.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

bb2112 wrote:Hmmm, I can see this class is going to have a lot of drawbacks. I wanted to try something a little different and off the wall, but I can't set the party on fire every time I miss a roll. As Remus will tell you, that would mean a very burnt up party pretty quickly.

I yell, "Stay back you vile beasts that smell of excrement! These travelers are mine and you will not harm them!"

That should give me 2 Blaze pts and I have to give in to my desire, so I want to do cruel things to the orcs who just set me on fire. No, I didn't set us on fire, they did by attacking us. It is clearly their fault and they need to pay.

For the Blaze points, 1 will go into armor 2 (+2 against fire) and the other will go into rending claws (pierce 3, messy) on the orc that is closest to me.

Well, it's not going to happen every time, but your class is literally about playing with fire so.... Also, technically on a Hack and Slash of 10+ you get to choose to either attack without getting hit in the process or do an extra +1d6 damage so you can choose before you roll damage. So you can choose to do 1d8 points of damage and not get hit in return, or do 1d8+1d6 damage and take 1d6+2 (1 piercing) damage in return. Personally, given that you have to give in to your dragon's desire to be cruel I would think you'd choose to do the extra damage (even if it's probably overkill) but that's just me :)
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Ok, you got less than a 10 so you succeed, but with a cost or hard choice so before you do your damage let me think.

Well, this is probably not going to be a hard choice for you (given you just met this Tarn guy and he's not a dwarf), but as you are creeping towards the orcs, you glance back and see that a mountain lion has been attracted by all the noise and is stealthily getting ready to pounce on the hunter. Your choice: Not warn the hunter and do your three damage to the orc (which will kill it) but then he will take damage from the mountain lion or shout a warning to the hunter. If you warn the hunter you can remain concealed from the orcs with the crossbow (as you did succeed on the roll), the hunter will have a chance to avoid the mountain lion's attack, but you won't be able to attack the orcs this round and they will know that at least the hunter is behind them.

Oh...you get to memorize two levels of spells (you get all your 0 level ones for free). What are they?
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Cure Light Wounds and Sanctuary seem best for a lone traveling Cleric to have prepared each day.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Choice is harder than you'd think. I want Tarn to convert so leaving him in the lurch is not such a good thing. On the other hand, he isn't a follower yet. Or a Dwarf......

Ah, crap with it. I'd rather keep my recent traveling companion safe than assist folks I do not even know. I'll call a warning to Tarn.
bb2112
End of Days
Location: Knowledge! It is almost as important as money, luck, and family connections.

Post by bb2112 »

IceBear wrote:
bb2112 wrote:Hmmm, I can see this class is going to have a lot of drawbacks. I wanted to try something a little different and off the wall, but I can't set the party on fire every time I miss a roll. As Remus will tell you, that would mean a very burnt up party pretty quickly.

Well, it's not going to happen every time, but your class is literally about playing with fire so.... Also, technically on a Hack and Slash of 10+ you get to choose to either attack without getting hit in the process or do an extra +1d6 damage so you can choose before you roll damage. So you can choose to do 1d8 points of damage and not get hit in return, or do 1d8+1d6 damage and take 1d6+2 (1 piercing) damage in return. Personally, given that you have to give in to your dragon's desire to be cruel I would think you'd choose to do the extra damage (even if it's probably overkill) but that's just me :)
Hmmm, so does my cruelty override my intelligence? Do I fly into a blind rage and do what is exceptionally stupid instead of just cruelly stupid? I think I would be a short lived adventurer if I did that every time. But in this case, what the hell, I am going to do it. I am already ignoring the fire damage I'm probably going to take. Besides, you have to ask yourself, what does inexperienced really mean. I guess I will just have to learn the hard way. :D

WWZD - So in a blind rage I shove my claws into the orc's chest and stomach and tear it open so his organs and entrails burst out on the ground while hopping away to make sure I avoid most of the gore. All the while yelling at the other Orcs, "Be gone foul beasts! Lest you all suffer the same fate!"

So 1d8 normal damage, +2 for being cruel, +1d6 because I'm being exceptionally stupid and reckless.

Zordan decides to kick ass while on fire! : 1D8+2+1D6 = [4]+2+[6] = 12 (+3 pierce)
That's no reason to cry. One cries because one is sad. For example, I cry because others are stupid, and that makes me sad.
Why would I stab an Oracle? Wait, what am I saying? Why wouldn't I stab an Oracle? - Belkar Bitterleaf
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Hmmm.... I see that I'm going to need to read earlier if I want to catch up....

My first question was answered. Positioning. So we are behind the orcs, on the opposite side from the others.

Second question would be distance. With high winds, I'd want to close some to prevent any negative effects on the bolts. So I'll move forward while readying my crossbow.

Any boulders on this side of the fight? I'm definitely going to use what cover I can to get closer unseen.

And...

Assuming that I react now to the warning.... Will I need a Defy Danger? Defy Danger: 2D6+1 = [6, 6]+1 = 13 to roll away from the mountain lion. Then ... I need some clarification. Can I set a Hunter's Mark on the mountain lion? In one spot it says you need a "moment" to study the target, but then it says I can change at any moment? Being a hunter, and having hunted mountain lions previously, do I still need to study? Or can I draw on that? And what does that actually mean for attacks? Do I use my Wis bonus or my Dex when using my crossbow?

Note: I may have jumped the gun/crossbow. I assumed that the warning meant the mountain lion was attacking. If, however, the warning means I get to go "first", then I'd like my Defy Danger roll to instead be my "spins and attacks" roll.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

bb2112 wrote:
IceBear wrote:

Hmmm, so does my cruelty override my intelligence? Do I fly into a blind rage and do what is exceptionally stupid instead of just cruelly stupid? I think I would be a short lived adventurer if I did that every time. But in this case, what the hell, I am going to do it. I am already ignoring the fire damage I'm probably going to take. Besides, you have to ask yourself, what does inexperienced really mean. I guess I will just have to learn the hard way. :D

WWZD - So in a blind rage I shove my claws into the orc's chest and stomach and tear it open so his organs and entrails burst out on the ground while hopping away to make sure I avoid most of the gore. All the while yelling at the other Orcs, "Be gone foul beasts! Lest you all suffer the same fate!"

So 1d8 normal damage, +2 for being cruel, +1d6 because I'm being exceptionally stupid and reckless.

Zordan decides to kick ass while on fire! : 1D8+2+1D6 = [4]+2+[6] = 12 (+3 pierce)
All those questions are for you to decide...honestly...just be consistent with your decisions. I was just saying I could roleplay the cruelty part as wanting to inflict the maximum damage, but it's up to you. I realized that I had forgotten about you being onfire but I'm going to go with you successfully putting it out and/or your dragon form quelled it. Anyway...they have 3hp so....
Zordan rushes up to the orc, who does manage to strike him with its axe, picks him up over his head, and then tears the orc in half. Zordan throws his head back and drinks in his foe's blood
You are hit for Axe attack: 1D6+2 = [5]+2 = 7 damage, which is reduced to 6 by your armor (2 armor, but the orc has piercing 1)
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

TheMix wrote:Hmmm.... I see that I'm going to need to read earlier if I want to catch up....

My first question was answered. Positioning. So we are behind the orcs, on the opposite side from the others.

Second question would be distance. With high winds, I'd want to close some to prevent any negative effects on the bolts. So I'll move forward while readying my crossbow.

Any boulders on this side of the fight? I'm definitely going to use what cover I can to get closer unseen.

And...

Assuming that I react now to the warning.... Will I need a Defy Danger? Defy Danger: 2D6+1 = [6, 6]+1 = 13 to roll away from the mountain lion. Then ... I need some clarification. Can I set a Hunter's Mark on the mountain lion? In one spot it says you need a "moment" to study the target, but then it says I can change at any moment? Being a hunter, and having hunted mountain lions previously, do I still need to study? Or can I draw on that? And what does that actually mean for attacks? Do I use my Wis bonus or my Dex when using my crossbow?

Note: I may have jumped the gun/crossbow. I assumed that the warning meant the mountain lion was attacking. If, however, the warning means I get to go "first", then I'd like my Defy Danger roll to instead be my "spins and attacks" roll.
Yeah, things got ahead of you there so sorry if you're kind of caught catching up.

I am fine with there being boulders all along the pass, and I'm supposed to be a "fan of the characters" and DW isn't really a min/max modification game so I'm not going to give you any penalties as long as you are in range. I take the study to mean you need to get a feel for the movements and style of that particular opponent (so not mountain lions in general but this specific one). I'm also fine with it being something that you can do with an action - so instead of attacking, you mark, then the mountain lion will do something, after that you can attack with the mark bonus, but really the fiction is up to you to decide on what needs to be done to mark something - I'm just telling you how I interpret "study for a moment"...I think it's more than just look at it but less than minutes of study. I think the intention was you would be watching your target when they were unawares and normally if the mountain lion was further away from you I'd say you could mark and shoot, but since it just leaped at you and you dodged aside it's going to be back on you pretty quick so the time between the mark and shot would be broken up. Sound fair?

The part about roll +WIS is if you were using the Aid or Interfere move which is not what you're doing if you shoot at it...you're trying to shoot it so that'll be volley using DEX.
Aid or Interfere

When you help or hinder someone you have a bond with, roll+Bond with them.

On a 10+ they take +1 or -2, your choice. On a 7–9 you also expose yourself to

danger, retribution, or cost.
Now, later if Dar or Omar was shooting at a creature that you marked and instead of shooting at it yourself you decide that you want to aid them in their shot you'd roll+WIS instead of +Bond (number of bonds you have with them)
bb2112
End of Days

Post by bb2112 »

IceBear wrote:
Zordan rushes up to the orc, who does manage to strike him with its axe, picks him up over his head, and then tears the orc in half. Zordan throws his head back and drinks in his foe's blood.
Ha, does that make the other Orcs think twice?
IceBear wrote: You are hit for Axe attack: 1D6+2 = [5]+2 = 7 damage, which is reduced to 6 by your armor (2 armor, but the orc has piercing 1)
Dammit! I can only kill him once.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

FYI, you can actually have an attack affect multiple targets. If it makes sense. Which can result in the damage being spread out. Not sure if it would have helped in this case, but that's a lot of damage to only use on one target.

Were there other orcs in range that were also clawed? Or perhaps he ripped the orc in half, throwing the chunks at other orcs? Just a thought.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

As for Tarn, it sounds like after his stellar roll to safety to line up a return shot, I need to roll? Do I get any pluses on my Volley from the 13?

Volley attack on mountain lion.: 2D6+1 = [1, 3]+1 = 5

/sigh

Looks like I could really use some help from the Defy Danger roll. :(

Black Lives Matter

IceBear

Post by IceBear »

bb2112 wrote:
IceBear wrote:
Zordan rushes up to the orc, who does manage to strike him with its axe, picks him up over his head, and then tears the orc in half. Zordan throws his head back and drinks in his foe's blood.
Ha, does that make the other Orcs think twice?
IceBear wrote: You are hit for Axe attack: 1D6+2 = [5]+2 = 7 damage, which is reduced to 6 by your armor (2 armor, but the orc has piercing 1)
Dammit! I can only kill him once.
It sure does....they actively avoid you but they are still attacking the hated halfling. Moliere, feel free to take your next action
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

TheMix wrote:As for Tarn, it sounds like after his stellar roll to safety to line up a return shot, I need to roll? Do I get any pluses on my Volley from the 13?

Volley attack on mountain lion.: 2D6+1 = [1, 3]+1 = 5

/sigh

Looks like I could really use some help from the Defy Danger roll. :(
Ice seems to have frozen the bolts in your current magazine. While they can be fixed with some time it will take more time than the mountain lion is giving you. You'll need to use a different weapon. Sorry, but at least you got 1xp.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

So we'll let Moliere take his action next, then the rest of you and then Ere should be in position
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

After giving the orc a wink, Omar slips behind the boulder and out of reach with the intent of setting up a stabby in the backy.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
bb2112
End of Days

Post by bb2112 »

TheMix wrote:FYI, you can actually have an attack affect multiple targets. If it makes sense. Which can result in the damage being spread out. Not sure if it would have helped in this case, but that's a lot of damage to only use on one target.

Were there other orcs in range that were also clawed? Or perhaps he ripped the orc in half, throwing the chunks at other orcs? Just a thought.
I will keep that in mind for next time. Just so I know, do I have to declare how many targets I'm going to attack in advance and do I have to roll a "to hit" for each? Not really sure how this works in DW. It seems a little unfair to say I'm going to attack multiple targets after having a good to hit roll and such a huge damage roll.
bb2112
End of Days

Post by bb2112 »

I will attack the 2 closest orcs. I am going to do form of the dragon again.

Form of Dragon: 2D6+2 = [5, 3]+2 = 10
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

bb2112 wrote:
TheMix wrote:FYI, you can actually have an attack affect multiple targets. If it makes sense. Which can result in the damage being spread out. Not sure if it would have helped in this case, but that's a lot of damage to only use on one target.

I will keep that in mind for next time. Just so I know, do I have to declare how many targets I'm going to attack in advance and do I have to roll a "to hit" for each? Not really sure how this works in DW. It seems a little unfair to say I'm going to attack multiple targets after having a good to hit roll and such a huge damage roll.
No just describe what you're doing and we'll try to get things to fit. Actually, there isn't a rule that allows you to attack multiple targets. I think I let TheMix do it last time because they were outnumbered and he described his attack as swinging his great sword around while standing in the middle of a group of monsters so it made sense to allow his damage to overflow to the next until there wasn't any left. In this case you ran out towards the closest orc while the other three are trying to get to the halfling.

Again, by strict definition the hack and slash move says "When you attack an enemy..." so the attacking multiple opponents has more to do with the story and whether or not it makes sense at that time
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

bb2112 wrote:I will attack the 2 closest orcs. I am going to do form of the dragon again.

Form of Dragon: 2D6+2 = [5, 3]+2 = 10
As per my previous post describe what you are doing in detail (set the scene) and if it triggers a move then we'll roll. We can use your roll but Omar has had his back against that rock since before you ripped that orc apart so want to give Moliere a chance to do something first
bb2112
End of Days

Post by bb2112 »

That should give me 3 Blaze.

Do I have to renew my hardened scales +2 Armor (+2 vs. Fire) every turn?
Rending Claws X2

Can I use my rending claws for 2 attacks (1 this turn, 1 the next) or do I have to use all my blaze in one round? In which case I can change up my actions.
bb2112
End of Days

Post by bb2112 »

Got it on the multiple attacks and promoting the story. No problem on the waiting on Moliere. He said he was going to try to set up a backstabby. So I am going to help.

I roar and leap toward the 3 orcs trying to get at my Halfling. He is mine! How dare they attack what is mine! I try to make a lot of noise as to have the orcs turn and draw their attention to me and away from my pint sized little friend.

I use my blaze as follows:
1. +2 Armor
2. I jump in the air using my wings to tackle 2 of the orcs that are trying to surround Omar
3. I use rending claws to attack the 2 targets

Attack 2 orcs closing in on Omar : 2D6+2 = [6, 5]+2 = 13

Woohoo! Now for damage! I am not going to let them attack me back, especially since they are turned away from me. I am hoping I can get the third one to turn his attention on me to let Omar do his backstabby thing.

Damage 2 orcs closing in on Omar: 1D8+2 = [1]+2 = 3

Opps! Well, I managed to kill one of them. It all looked really cool until the law of averages shot me in the nuts. :lol:
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

bb2112 wrote:That should give me 3 Blaze.

Do I have to renew my hardened scales +2 Armor (+2 vs. Fire) every turn?
Rending Claws X2

Can I use my rending claws for 2 attacks (1 this turn, 1 the next) or do I have to use all my blaze in one round? In which case I can change up my actions.
Haven't played with the Dragon Mage before so it's all new to me too. But here's what the move said:
Anyone with held Blaze can spend 1-Blaze to gain one of the following benefits for a few crucial moments, their body changing for that short time:
So the last time you had 2 blaze and spent them all so you had none left so you needed to roll again to get more blaze. This time you have 3 blaze so you can spend them as you want. You could spend them all now or spend them one at a time.

I'm sorry I am trying to throttle people's actions but I don't want people to chain too many actions together because it could impact others (see the mountain lion and the hunter). For example, Omar (who should have had an action by now) could decide to throw a dagger at an orc and roll 6-. With that I could make a hard move of "Reveal an unwelcome truth" which might be an ogre comes out of a nearby cave. That might impact what you decide to do
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Moliere wrote:After giving the orc a wink, Omar slips behind the boulder and out of reach with the intent of setting up a stabby in the backy.
Sorry missed this in my replies.

Make a Defy Danger-Dex to see if you can quickly lose the orc behind the boulder and then climb over it to get behind it without its notice
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

bb2112 wrote:Got it on the multiple attacks and promoting the story. No problem on the waiting on Moliere. He said he was going to try to set up a backstabby. So I am going to help.

I roar and leap toward the 3 orcs trying to get at my Halfling. He is mine! How dare they attack what is mine! I try to make a lot of noise as to have the orcs turn and draw their attention to me and away from my pint sized little friend.

I use my blaze as follows:
1. +2 Armor
2. I jump in the air using my wings to tackle 2 of the orcs that are trying to surround Omar
3. I use rending claws to attack the 2 targets

Attack 2 orcs closing in on Omar : 2D6+2 = [6, 5]+2 = 13

Woohoo! Now for damage! I am not going to let them attack me back, especially since they are turned away from me. I am hoping I can get the third one to turn his attention on me to let Omar do his backstabby thing.

Damage 2 orcs closing in on Omar: 1D8+2 = [1]+2 = 3

Opps! Well, I managed to kill one of them. It all looked really cool until the law of averages shot me in the nuts. :lol:
Ok...trying to help Omar do his backstab would be an Aid roll (2d6 + number of Bonds with Omar). Also, technically that would be two hack and slash rolls not one but I am just going to say you kill them both because I feel like I am squashing what you want to do.

After this and you are all together I might be more firm. Actually after this battle I am going to ask that no one roll until I ask them. Might help keep things smoother.

At this point I will let Ere take his action or otherwise everything will be dead before he does anything
bb2112
End of Days

Post by bb2112 »

IceBear wrote: Ok...trying to help Omar do his backstab would be an Aid roll (2d6 + number of Bonds with Omar). Also, technically that would be two hack and slash rolls not one but I am just going to say you kill them both because I feel like I am squashing what you want to do.
Aid Omar: 2D6+2 = [3, 6]+2 = 11
I used +2 since I have a bond with him and he with me. If that is not right, then the roll would be a +1, so a 10.
IceBear wrote: After this and you are all together I might be more firm. Actually after this battle I am going to ask that no one roll until I ask them. Might help keep things smoother.
No problem on my end IB. And don't worry about squashing what I want to do if I'm doing something out of sorts. I'm still learning and things will get smoother as we go. Thanks for dealing with us noobs! :D
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

IceBear wrote:Make a Defy Danger-Dex to see if you can quickly lose the orc behind the boulder and then climb over it to get behind it without its notice
I can't find this on my sheet. Can you confirm what I should be rolling here.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Yeah...I am ignoring the roll there because instead of aiding him you hacked and slashed the other two. Anytime you describe your action as trying to help someone then it's an Aid roll (and it would have been the number of Bonds you have with them not both, so +1).

You could describe your action as trying to protect someone from harm which would be a defend roll.

This is why want people to describe what they are doing in as much detail as possible without worrying about the mechanics
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Moliere wrote:
IceBear wrote:Make a Defy Danger-Dex to see if you can quickly lose the orc behind the boulder and then climb over it to get behind it without its notice
I can't find this on my sheet. Can you confirm what I should be rolling here.
It's noton your sheet....its one of the basic moves from that sheet. When I say Defy Danger-Dex that means that I want you to Defy Danger using your Dex mod (2d6+2).
Defy Danger When you act despite an imminent threat or suffer a calamity, say how you deal with it and roll. If you do it… •  …by powering through, +Str •  …by getting out of the way or acting fast, +Dex •  …by enduring, +Con •  …with quick thinking, +Int •  …through mental fortitude, +Wis •  …using charm and social grace, +Cha On a 10+, you do what you set out to, the threat doesn’t come to bear. On a 7–9, you stumble, hesitate, or flinch: the GM will offer you a worse outcome, hard bargain, or ugly choice.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Starting with the bolts raining down on us...

I head for cover first and return fire at the most open (assuming any are in noticeably less cover than the others) else closest crossbow shooting orc.

As nothing is coming at me, I direct Shadow to seek cover and assist the Halfling (as he cannot really attack on his own, engage/pin one down - this should distract one from the Halfling, maybe will help the Halfling get a backstab in).

As far as getting lit on fire -stop/drop/roll. Shadow will do the same if necessary.

I realize a lot has happened so some of the above may not be logical any more, but starting from the beginning, will adjust/roll as needed.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Zenn7 wrote:Starting with the bolts raining down on us...

I head for cover first and return fire at the most open (assuming any are in noticeably less cover than the others) else closest crossbow shooting orc.

As nothing is coming at me, I direct Shadow to seek cover and assist the Halfling (as he cannot really attack on his own, engage/pin one down - this should distract one from the Halfling, maybe will help the Halfling get a backstab in).

As far as getting lit on fire -stop/drop/roll. Shadow will do the same if necessary.

I realize a lot has happened so some of the above may not be logical any more, but starting from the beginning, will adjust/roll as needed.
Thanks Zenn7.

There are still two orcs with crossbows so roll 2d6+Dex to volley at one of them.

For Shadow roll 2d6 + Bond (your bonds with Omar) to try and aid his attempt at backstabbing the orc.

Finally Defy Danger-Dex to put out the fire.

Unfortunately with this number of rolls at once we get into issues as failures and partial successes start to snowball but that's my fault. I will work on slowing things down in the future. Even if it takes a day or so for everyone to get their action in
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

And what do you people have against rangers???

First party I come and help save them from a goblin ambush, and immediately after I kill a goblin, mid-fight with them still, the thief puts a knife to my neck.

First fight here with the orcs and the dragon-mage is trying to bbq me!

:shock:

:lol:
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Recognizing the futility of trying to use the crossbow, Tarn draws his knife and settles into a fighting crouch. He focuses on the mountain lion and waits for it to leap, poised to step sideways. In a soothing voice, pitched for the cat to hear, "You don't want to do this fella. There is easier prey out there for you."

Black Lives Matter

Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

IceBear wrote:
Zenn7 wrote:Starting with the bolts raining down on us...

Thanks Zenn7.

There are still two orcs with crossbows so roll 2d6+Dex to volley at one of them.

For Shadow roll 2d6 + Bond (your bonds with Omar) to try and aid his attempt at backstabbing the orc.

Finally Defy Danger-Dex to put out the fire.

Unfortunately with this number of rolls at once we get into issues as failures and partial successes start to snowball but that's my fault. I will work on slowing things down in the future. Even if it takes a day or so for everyone to get their action in
Rapidly firing my bow...
Volley (Dex): 2D6+2 = [2, 4]+2 = 8

Volley Damage: 1D8 = [1] = 1

I barely manage to knick one of the orcs.

(Does a 1 damage count as a suitable penalty? :p)

I choose - You have to take what you can get: -1d6 damage - since I only did 1 point - didn't roll - I did zero points. Apparently the drop of blood I thought I saw was just orc spittle.

Shadow assist Omar:: 2D6 = [4, 5] = 9

Not sure what a cost would be in this case. Leaves danger or retribution - not quite sure what the difference (seems like one is a chance at being hurt, one is a definite being hurt). If I have a choice, guess I'd go with danger.

And finally, stop/drop/roll (like a pro!):

Defy Danger (dex):: 2D6+2 = [5, 6]+2 = 13

Assuming (prior to the danger roll above at least) that Shadow did not need to douse fire as you did not mention him specifically needing to (or maybe he succeeded/failed with me).

As for slowing things down - I understand that with my daytime posting limit, I may be a zombie during some rounds of combat. I am OK with that if it doesn't hurt the game too much. Hate to hold up everything just for me.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Zenn7 wrote:First party I come and help save them from a goblin ambush, and immediately after I kill a goblin, mid-fight with them still, the thief puts a knife to my neck.
Heh. I'd forgotten about that. That was funny. :lol:

Black Lives Matter

Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

TheMix wrote:
Zenn7 wrote:First party I come and help save them from a goblin ambush, and immediately after I kill a goblin, mid-fight with them still, the thief puts a knife to my neck.
Heh. I'd forgotten about that. That was funny. :lol:
It was. Makes me laugh every time I think about it. The bbq on the second game, first fight was just an awesome follow up. :D