Dungeon World Campaign #2

This is the place for self-contained forum games

Moderator: Zaxxon

Madmarcus

Re: Dungeon World Campaign #2

Post by Madmarcus »

Ere shrugs off his pack and sets it in front of himself without looking away from the beings.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

You did not see any dwarf carvings. BTW...who took the eye?
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

OOC: Do not believe anyone specifically claimed it, but as the plain was to go back to the door and have the dwarf stand in front, holding it up - assumed Rurgosh would have it.

IC: "Ere, I do not believe we will be able to outrun them. If nothing else, we will need to rest and they can summon sufficient reinforcements to overwhelm us. Fight is likely our only option of those two."

Is there any cover around here? Otherwise, we are all about to get slaughtered at range I fear.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Let's see them jump. After placing his pack on the ground in what he hopes is a rather non-threatening manner Ere stands up and stares at a spot just behind the warriors. This time he speaks slowly, calmly, and clearly before ending in mid phrase with hand gesture miming a small explosion or pop as he tries to create an illusion of a thunder clap from lightning striking just behind them.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

That sounds like your smoke and mirrors move. Please roll + CHA
When you craft an illusion to fool the senses, describe it and roll +CHA. On a 10+,
choose up to 3. On a 7-9, choose 2:
• The illusion makes them believe something specific
• The illusion points them where you want them to go
• The illusion lasts longer than a few crucial moments
• The illusion is not out of place or hard to believe
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Please roll for me.
bb2112
End of Days
Location: Knowledge! It is almost as important as money, luck, and family connections.

Post by bb2112 »

Madmarcus wrote:Please roll for me.
Madmarcus1: 2D6+2 = [3, 4]+2 = 9
That's no reason to cry. One cries because one is sad. For example, I cry because others are stupid, and that makes me sad.
Why would I stab an Oracle? Wait, what am I saying? Why wouldn't I stab an Oracle? - Belkar Bitterleaf
BCY4920 - You can suck it Johnny Angel.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

The illusion makes them believe something specific - they have been shocked, blinded, and deaden as if lightning just stuck in their midst.
The illusion lasts more than a few crucial moments

Ere grabs up his ax and charges the nearest creatures aiming blows at there arms in an attempt to keep them from getting out melee weapons.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Sorry I'm being slow, I'm taking a group of students around uga and I'm trying to set a good example.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Madmarcus wrote:Sorry I'm being slow, I'm taking a group of students around uga and I'm trying to set a good example.
:lol:

As Ere begins his incantation Rurgosh will say a quick prayer for guidance and aid to Orso, cast his magic weapon and follow in the charge after the illusion goes off.
casting magic weapon to fight insectoids: 2D6+2 = [4, 6]+2 = 12
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Before you run up....I think Zordan was implying he was going to shoot fire at them. If he does that first then he might not catch anyone on fire :)

I still need a roll from Zordan just because it seems, fictionally, that it has been less than reliable. Plus, he needs to aim it and see if he can catch them on fire. The rest of you can attack (no roll needed just deal your damage) as they are stunned long enough for you to run up and attack. After that they will shake off the effects
bb2112
End of Days
Location: Knowledge! It is almost as important as money, luck, and family connections.

Post by bb2112 »

As soon as the illusion goes off and before people start running in my way and becoming mobile torches, Zordan shoots fire at the insectoids.

Spoiler:
Fire!: 2D6+2 = [1, 2]+2 = 5 Obviously startled by the voracity of the Human's illusion. This fire once again did not go as planned. Any small 6 legged bunnies that might have accidentally got in the way?
That's no reason to cry. One cries because one is sad. For example, I cry because others are stupid, and that makes me sad.
Why would I stab an Oracle? Wait, what am I saying? Why wouldn't I stab an Oracle? - Belkar Bitterleaf
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Zordan points his hands at the insectoids and three of them are enveloped in flames. Feeling his dragon's cruel nature come to the forefront his flames get hotter and hotter until they become white hot. Soon all the insectoids are ash, but the fire continues burning until the trees are blazing. Then the stream of fire stops. Zordan weakly falls to his knees, exhauated. He will need help walking and will need some rest to rekindle his fire.

The way forward is now a raging forest fire with the smoke towering into the sky. Behind you, you hear the massive roar of the giant ape and start seeing the trees bend and snap as it heads your way
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

IceBear wrote:Zordan points his hands at the insectoids and three of them are enveloped in flames. Feeling his dragon's cruel nature come to the forefront his flames get hotter and hotter until they become white hot. Soon all the insectoids are ash, but the fire continues burning until the trees are blazing. Then the stream of fire stops. Zordan weakly falls to his knees, exhauated. He will need help walking and will need some rest to rekindle his fire.

The way forward is now a raging forest fire with the smoke towering into the sky. Behind you, you hear the massive roar of the giant ape and start seeing the trees bend and snap as it heads your way
All 3 turned to ash or all ALL insects are ash?
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

It started with 3 but then his dragon nature took over and incinerated all of them and the nearby jungle
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Night 2 of quarterly server patching that always goes badly has inspired me to declare tomorrow as "Bring your Zordan to work day". :)

Dar gives Zordan a very nasty look, then looks about - looking to see if the path we came on looks like we can possibly hope to get through the fire and if not, another path that A) leads away from the giant and B) towards the way we came (prioritizing away from the giant).
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Rurgosh begins praying to Orso to show them a path through the fire.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

You originally entered this jungle from the south. The trail went west then north. You are now in a clearing with the old temple at your back (north). The trail you entered the clearing from is to the south, but it is now in the middle of a raging forest fire (occasionally you hear an explosion...maybe more of those berries). Looking around you do see a trail heading to the east but it looks much less used.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Rugosh says a quick prayer of thanks to Orso and motions for the party to head East. :D
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

"Nutaria, I hope you can see this fire and do something about it. Everyone, we will take the path to the east! Someone help Zordan and follow me." Dar and Shadowstalker lead the way down the path to the East.
bb2112
End of Days

Post by bb2112 »

Zordan struggles to his feet and lets out a hoarse whisper in Dar's ear, "You know, we could always go back into the temple and wait this fire out."
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Dar turns to Zordan and states in a hostile manner:

"The temple is the obvious source of shelter for when that thing comes back. It will go in there either for it's own safety and/or to find the troublemaker who caused this. Even if that doesn't happen, there's no telling when this fire will die out or how much jungle/cover will be left and as other natives know we are in the area (the group we passed earlier), they are likely to come back looking for us as well and probably bring friends this time.

If you want to stay here and die, by all means, go for it. You are lucky after the destruction you have caused with your reckless fire breath that you cannot control, you are lucky I am trying to help you and not end you!

Come with me if you want or do not, I am leaving NOW."

So saying, Dar turns around and heads to the trail to the East, clearly done with any further conversation on the topic.

OC: Dar is a champion of preserving nature, and Zordan just destroyed a huge chunk of it. And the jungle woods remind him of his forest. Just roleplaying here (hoping that's clear, but did not want anyone to misinterpret this in anyway). :)
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Ere picks up his pack and follows. Assuming that Zordan is also following be will talk so they go, "The temple is safety against that ape but Dar is right that it could be a trap if those warriors came looking for us. I respect his skills in the wild. This is an odd place and I don't see while that fire is such a big deal but I respect his skills. He'll find us a good path. "
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

I am making the assumption that for the next little while Ere is helping Zordan along until he catches his breath.

Dar and Shadow lead the group onto the eastern trail and moments later you hear a loud roar from the giant ape back in the clearing. You soon hear massive crashing and ripping sounds and moments later a large chunk of the temple roof land in the jungle near you followed by a scream of frustration. You then hear loud sniffing noises coming from the ape. What do you do?
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

IceBear wrote:I am making the assumption that for the next little while Ere is helping Zordan along until he catches his breath.
Perfect
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Dar, could we get close to the fire? It might mask our accent and sounds
bb2112
End of Days

Post by bb2112 »

Madmarcus wrote:Dar, could we get close to the fire? It might mask our accent and sounds
It might mask our scent too.
bb2112
End of Days

Post by bb2112 »

Zenn7 wrote:Dar turns to Zordan and states in a hostile manner:

"The temple is the obvious source of shelter for when that thing comes back. It will go in there either for it's own safety and/or to find the troublemaker who caused this. Even if that doesn't happen, there's no telling when this fire will die out or how much jungle/cover will be left and as other natives know we are in the area (the group we passed earlier), they are likely to come back looking for us as well and probably bring friends this time.

If you want to stay here and die, by all means, go for it. You are lucky after the destruction you have caused with your reckless fire breath that you cannot control, you are lucky I am trying to help you and not end you!

Come with me if you want or do not, I am leaving NOW."

So saying, Dar turns around and heads to the trail to the East, clearly done with any further conversation on the topic.

OC: Dar is a champion of preserving nature, and Zordan just destroyed a huge chunk of it. And the jungle woods remind him of his forest. Just roleplaying here (hoping that's clear, but did not want anyone to misinterpret this in anyway). :)
Zordan thinks that this may be a bad time to remind the nature loving Human that fires are part of the cycle of nature and it helps to fertilize the soil for a glorious rebirth. Maybe the Human doesn't know that... Zordan will just file that away for a later teaching moment. He is sure the Human will be grateful. Besides, shouldn't these guys be thanking him. He just saved their asses by creating a huge distraction for the bug people to deal with instead of us. Assuming we don't get eaten by a giant ape of course. Humans. No wonder their race is dying out. They are just not logical.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

bb2112 wrote:
Madmarcus wrote:Dar, could we get close to the fire? It might mask our accent and sounds
It might mask our scent too.
It might but not if fire uses autocorrect :)
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

We can get closer to the fire if we can find a path there. If we try to go without a path:

A) we face the dangers of this jungle (it appears noticeably safer on paths)
B) we will be slowed down immensely

Some fire can fertilize, massive swaths of fire may not leave anything behind to restart the growing process. A large, fertile plain is not a good replacement for a jungle. :p

OC: In real life - I'm not a woodsy/outdoors kinda guy and am kinda making this up as we go. Hope I'm getting reasonably intelligent and accurate! :)
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Sorry, I got my new laptop from work yesterday so was trying to work and set up the new machine at the same time.

Since you're leading the way, make a Defy Danger - Wis (I'll give you a +1 from Shadow) to make sure you don't lead the drop too close to the fire and get trapped.

BTW - been following some discussion on Stealth in DW, and came across this post that I might steal (mainly for Omar, but possibly for others when it makes sense):
I can’t stop thinking about Like a Ghost. It seems like it would solve the Thief’s problem of a lack of good “stealth” moves. It might even be able to obviate Backstab, if you add another option to it. How can we play with this move?

When you roll for another move that you want to perform in a clandestine manner, you may choose options
equal to your DEX or less (but not fewer than none), and then tell the other players:
...how you draw attention elsewhere instead of to you.
...how you stay out of sight.
...that you remain silent.
...why you leave no trace behind.
On a 10+, all that you say is true. On a 7-9, the GM chooses one of your statements to be false, the others are true. On a miss, no guarantees.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

IceBear wrote:Sorry, I got my new laptop from work yesterday so was trying to work and set up the new machine at the same time.

Since you're leading the way, make a Defy Danger - Wis (I'll give you a +1 from Shadow) to make sure you don't lead the drop too close to the fire and get trapped.

BTW - been following some discussion on Stealth in DW, and came across this post that I might steal (mainly for Omar, but possibly for others when it makes sense):
I can’t stop thinking about Like a Ghost. It seems like it would solve the Thief’s problem of a lack of good “stealth” moves. It might even be able to obviate Backstab, if you add another option to it. How can we play with this move?

When you roll for another move that you want to perform in a clandestine manner, you may choose options
equal to your DEX or less (but not fewer than none), and then tell the other players:
...how you draw attention elsewhere instead of to you.
...how you stay out of sight.
...that you remain silent.
...why you leave no trace behind.
On a 10+, all that you say is true. On a 7-9, the GM chooses one of your statements to be false, the others are true. On a miss, no guarantees.
Defy Danger (wis+shadow): : 2D6+3 = [6, 1]+3 = 10

Thank you Shadow!

Your Stealth stuff sounds like an interesting way to implement :)
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

The group moves closer to the fire, and while they can no longer hear the giant ape sniffing due to the roar of the flames Dar is sure that it can no longer see, hear, or smell them. Moving as quickly through the woods as the drained dragonborn can move, the group soon finds themselves at the bank of a slow moving river about 50 yards wide.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

"There are plenty of trees. I could cut down some tall enough to reach across. Smaller ones for a lashed raft or just floats would be quicker."
bb2112
End of Days

Post by bb2112 »

IceBear wrote:The group moves closer to the fire, and while they can no longer hear the giant ape sniffing due to the roar of the flames Dar is sure that it can no longer see, hear, or smell them. Moving as quickly through the woods as the drained dragonborn can move, the group soon finds themselves at the bank of a slow moving river about 50 yards wide.
We didn't cross a river to get here, did we? Are we going the right way?
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Wildlife may be fleeing the fire in the direction of this river. We may not enjoy being between them and it. I suggest we develop a plan very soon.

(ooc: Icebear said the river is 50 yards wide. That is a huge river. Are there 150 plus foot trees here that reach across? Should we assemble the eye and try to control the ape to carry us across?)
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

bb2112 wrote:
IceBear wrote:The group moves closer to the fire, and while they can no longer hear the giant ape sniffing due to the roar of the flames Dar is sure that it can no longer see, hear, or smell them. Moving as quickly through the woods as the drained dragonborn can move, the group soon finds themselves at the bank of a slow moving river about 50 yards wide.
We didn't cross a river to get here, did we? Are we going the right way?
You couldn't go the way you wanted because...you know...fire and giant apes :)
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Chopping trees for raft or bridge will take a lot of time we may not have - with the fire, ape, insects and Rurgosh's very valid concerns about wildlife stampede.

Using the eye to control the ape? This is the first time any of you have mentioned this? Do you really think it could work? If not, we end up fighting the ape, so we will need to prepare for that if it fails.

Immediate actions - follow the river in the direction we want to go (more in the direction we came). We did not cross one, so it does not run the whole jungle, it must loop back at some point. Hopefully we can get around it. If not, maybe we can find a bridge or at least a better (narrower/shallower) part we can cross. Failing that, we can maybe find some down logs to use for floaters for those who might need them (Dar should be able to manage it lacking metal armor; not sure if anyone else can swim). If we do end up too close to the fire, we know we can jump in the river to survive that danger at least. Though let's hope we do not have to swim. The last body of water we found was hope to a strange and dangerous creature. No reason to think this river is any safer.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Dwarves do not swim. (ooc: As Icebear made clear earlier) I have no desire to try crossing this thing on a log. There are simply too many odd and dangerous creatures in this place to put myself at that type of disadvantage. Let us follow the edge as quickly as we may in the direction we think best. Mean while perhaps I should have all parts to the eye. If the ape shows up we may need to be reliant upon its power and needing to scramble to get the pieces in one place to assemble them could mean death.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Thought you had them all already, but if not, Dar supports giving all the pieces to the dwarf.