Dungeon World Campaign #2

This is the place for self-contained forum games

Moderator: Zaxxon

IceBear

Re: Dungeon World Campaign #2

Post by IceBear »

Moliere wrote:Am I unconscious or in some kind of coma? I don't understand what my options are.
As far as you know, you've been teleported to the middle of a sea of lava high up on a rocky spire and a voice just called you a thief.

The rest of the group sees your body stiff and in a trance, but you technically don't know that. Basically, you are high on a rocky spire, there's lava all around you and there's someone or something out there unseen, what do you do?
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

bb2112 wrote:Btw, my Kobold is searching the Orcs for anything valuable. Even if it is not money, he is bringing over weapons, crossbows, bolts, boots, whatever may sell even for a few coppers. He is stacking it up in a pile next to me. He does not get in the dwarf's way of searching for stone. Kobolds have a very healthy respect for Dwarves. Although not natural enemies, typically they are not friends either. He will refer to Rorgosh as sir at all times.
Yeah, I figured you guys were going to check their pockets for loose change. As soon as someone rolls 2d6 so we know what the condition of the orc crossbowmen bodies are we'll handle this.
Discern Realities on the smelly Halfling: 2D6 = [2, 1] = 3
Nope. Not good at this at all. Lol.
You get another xp.

As you reach out with your magical senses, you are suddenly wisked away in whatever spell that has Omar. You find yourself high atop a rocky spire in the middle of a sea of lava and you see Omar next to you looking around bewildered. There is a deep booming voice that suddenly speaks "What's this? My trap has pulled in someone else?" It chuckles. "Oh, it thinks it has power because of its blood? Ha! Perhaps I should show you the true face of power"

Off in the gray clouds of steam and ash above you, a dark winged shadow appears for a moment and is gone. laughter following in its wake.

What do you do?
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Zenn7 wrote:Having determined that the orcs came from behind us and ahead is the way to go, I will not pursue their trail any further.

I am aware of Omar's situation, I deferred that to the Dragon-mage (beyond my comprehension). As Rurgosh will heal Zordan, there does not appear to be anything left to do in the way of recovery.

"I am Dar, woodlands protector, and this is my brother Shadow (indicating the black panther in the shadows). The dazed Halfling is Omar and the hooded creature you are healing is Zordan. It is said that the twin moons will shed light on a hidden lake just beyond this pass. We seek this lake. What brings you to this area?"

After Rurgosh heals Zordan, I ask him about his deity as I have not heard of this deity and seek to find out more about his domain. Briefly though, as we need to find shelter. After the introductions are made and before things can get too deep, I seek shelter, looking forward from our current position. Shadowstalker comes with me. I will lead the party to whatever shelter I find.

(Assuming the others came from behind, not ahead of us).

Sorry to sort of rush my part, assuming the others will fill in their parts and probably RP a bit more, but I have to leave for work now and won't be able to post again until after work.
Saving this space for update after some progress with Omar and Zordan
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

IceBear wrote:
Moliere wrote:Am I unconscious or in some kind of coma? I don't understand what my options are.
As far as you know, you've been teleported to the middle of a sea of lava high up on a rocky spire and a voice just called you a thief.

The rest of the group sees your body stiff and in a trance, but you technically don't know that. Basically, you are high on a rocky spire, there's lava all around you and there's someone or something out there unseen, what do you do?
"I am no thief. I was simply borrowing without asking. There's a distinct and subtle difference that is well known within the thieving, er, borrowing community. Did you need something returned? I am happy to accommodate..." Omar checks his pockets.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Moliere wrote:"I am no thief. I was simply borrowing without asking. There's a distinct and subtle difference that is well known within the thieving, er, borrowing community. Did you need something returned? I am happy to accommodate..." Omar checks his pockets.
There is a loud snort, and something underneath your shirt grows warm. "Not a thief? Well, technically King Rat and his ilk stole it from one of my employees, so while you didn't steal it from me I would like it back now. Leave it on the rock and I will set you free."

As the voice finishes a sudden shiver goes through your body. Cold? How can that be when you're above a sea of lava. Then you recall just moments ago you were in an icy mountain pass. Perhaps this isn't real? What do you do?
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Omar pulls the gold medallion out from under his shirt, motions to take it off..."just kidding" and instead rubs it three times.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
bb2112
End of Days
Location: Knowledge! It is almost as important as money, luck, and family connections.

Post by bb2112 »

Zordan attempts to barter with the supreme being that could crush his soul without a second thought. Oh yeah, and probably Omar's too, but that really isn't as important.

"Uh, kind sir, can you please introduce yourself? I am Zordan, a Dragonborn from the West(?) of the mountains, and this malodorous Halfling goes by the name of Omar. Can you describe the item that you are missing? Perchance one of us has stumbled upon it in our travels and maybe we can work out some kind of exchange or reward for our returning the item? That is, if we have it, of course."
That's no reason to cry. One cries because one is sad. For example, I cry because others are stupid, and that makes me sad.
Why would I stab an Oracle? Wait, what am I saying? Why wouldn't I stab an Oracle? - Belkar Bitterleaf
BCY4920 - You can suck it Johnny Angel.
bb2112
End of Days
Location: Knowledge! It is almost as important as money, luck, and family connections.

Post by bb2112 »

Not sure which action is going to happen first, Omar's or Zordan's since we crossed posted, but either way I clamp my hand on Omar's shoulder. If his device is a teleporter or something similar, I want to be along for the ride.
That's no reason to cry. One cries because one is sad. For example, I cry because others are stupid, and that makes me sad.
Why would I stab an Oracle? Wait, what am I saying? Why wouldn't I stab an Oracle? - Belkar Bitterleaf
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

IceBear wrote:After spending several minutes studying the orcs and their belongings please make a Discern Realities roll (see my response to bb2112 for details)
Discern Realities - Orcs +1 if Wisdom based: 2D6 = [3, 4] = 7
So an 8 if this is Wisdom based.

What here is useful or valuable to me?
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

IceBear wrote:
Remus West wrote:
bb2112 wrote:
Zenn7 wrote:Assuming introductions eventually conclude without incident and nobody is significantly injured other than Ere's shoulder...
Uh, Zordan took an axe wound (6 damage) and we have a comatose Halfling.
After examining the Orcs (priorities) Rurgosh will walk over to Zordan and heal him.

"Hold still for a moment"

Use your Cast Spell move
Cast a Spell When you unleash a spell granted to you by your deity, roll+Wis. ✴On a 10+, the spell is successfully cast and your deity does not revoke the spell, so you may cast it again. ✴On a 7–9, the spell is cast, but choose one: •  You draw unwelcome attention or put yourself in a spot. The GM will tell you how. •  Your casting distances you from your deity—take -1 ongoing to cast a spell until the next time you commune. •  After you cast it, the spell is revoked by your deity. You cannot cast the spell again until you commune and have it granted to you. Note that maintaining spells with ongoing effects will sometimes cause a penalty to your roll to cast a spell.
Healing the Dragonmage: 2D6 +1 = [2, 6]+1 = 9
I'll take distance from my Diety - maybe he doesn't like me healing fire producing maniacs? -1 to cast until I commune.
Sigh. I'm never going to learn anything at this rate. :wink:

Amount Healed: 1D8 = [2] = 2
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

As that resolves I will also take a look into what is going on with the Halfling - and now the Dragonmage - regarding their seemingly comatose state.

assuming a discern realities I'll roll. If that is wrong I will ignore the result and use a new roll for whatever I may need.

Discern Realities on the Halfling and Dragonmage: 2D6 + 1 = [4, 4]+1 = 9

What is really going on here?
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Remus West wrote:
IceBear wrote:After spending several minutes studying the orcs and their belongings please make a Discern Realities roll (see my response to bb2112 for details)
Discern Realities - Orcs +1 if Wisdom based: 2D6 = [3, 4] = 7
So an 8 if this is Wisdom based.

What here is useful or valuable to me?
You can see nothing among their belongings that would indicate they have ever been in your homeland. The orcs are all dressed in wolf pelts from this area and they have crude battleaxes. Depending on the luck roll that I am still waiting for, there are 0-3 crossbows and 0-3 ammo for them. Each orc also has 1-6 coins in their pouches, so after someone checks to see if the crossbow orcs are buried under a ton of rocks, you can roll [4-7]d6 to find out the number of coins
Healing the Dragonmage: 2D6 +1 = [2, 6]+1 = 9
I'll take distance from my Diety - maybe he doesn't like me healing fire producing maniacs? -1 to cast until I commune.
Sigh. I'm never going to learn anything at this rate. :wink:

Amount Healed: 1D8 = [2] = 2
The cleric has a -1 to all future spellcasting until further notice and Zordan has 2 more hitpoints
As that resolves I will also take a look into what is going on with the Halfling - and now the Dragonmage - regarding their seemingly comatose state.

assuming a discern realities I'll roll. If that is wrong I will ignore the result and use a new roll for whatever I may need.

Discern Realities on the Halfling and Dragonmage: 2D6 + 1 = [4, 4]+1 = 9

What is really going on here?
As you mutter a prayer to Orso Di Ghiaccio, suddenly he reveals to you what has been hidden from your eyes. On a nearby rock is the spectral form of a white raven and from it you see a magical beam that encompasses Omar and Zordan
bb2112
End of Days

Post by bb2112 »

Valuables - Destroyed or not?: 2D6 = [6, 5] = 11

Not sure if you asked it from someone specifically or not. If not, then...
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Omar, you start rubbing the medallion but nothing happens. Perhaps this is all in your head? (Sorry, I'm not trying to lead you but dropped a couple of hints now that this might be an magical spell so that in theory your character would have a reason to fight back against it. If you choose to do so, you would roll to Defy Danger - INT to see if you can break free of the spell. I've been waiting for you to say something along those lines - trying to resist the spell - so I could suggest the roll).

As Zordan calls out the voice chuckles. "Have him put the medallion on the rock and you both may go free, or, take it from him and throw him into the lava below and you may go free. Either way my patience is coming to an end"

You can both feel a tightness in your head and will need to roll Defy Danger-INT to resist the spell damage or suffer 1d6+3 points of damage. This roll is before any roll to break free of the spell
Last edited by IceBear on Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

bb2112 wrote:Valuables - Destroyed or not?: 2D6 = [6, 5] = 11

Not sure if you asked it from someone specifically or not. If not, then...
Nope...it was just a check to see how lucky the group was. That means none of the orcs are buried under the rocks
bb2112
End of Days

Post by bb2112 »

IceBear wrote:Omar, you start rubbing the medallion but nothing happens. Perhaps this is all in your head? (Sorry, I'm not trying to lead you but dropped a couple of hints now that this might be an magical spell so that in theory your character would have a reason to fight back against it. If you choose to do so, you would roll to Defy Danger - INT to see if you can break free of the spell. I've been waiting for you to say something along those lines - trying to resist the spell - so I could suggest the roll).

As Zordan calls out the voice chuckles. "Have him put the medallion on the rock and you both may go free, or, take it from him and throw him into the lava below and you may go free. Either way my patience is coming to an end"

You can both feel a tightness in your head and will need to roll Defy Danger-INT to resist the spell damage or suffer 1d6+3 points of damage. This roll is before any roll to break free of the spell
Defy Danger for Zordan

Defy Danger: 2D6+1 = [5, 5]+1 = 11

I will attempt to break free from the spell and try to take Omar with me.

Break free from the spell and take Omar with me: 2D6+1 = [5, 6]+1 = 12
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

The essence of the dragon in Zordan's blood feels enraged at the magic holding it prisoner and with an effort of will you throw off the spell and find yourself back in the windswept Zigana Pass.

Omar, seeing the dragon mage simply vanish will give you a +1 to your roll to free yourself from the spell (not to resist the damage)
bb2112
End of Days

Post by bb2112 »

Sorry, in thinking about it I probably need to put more story to my action.

Experiencing great contempt, yeah contempt. Not fear, no not mind shattering, buttocks clenching fear, I concentrate on the malfragrant Halfling and myself to return to our bodies in the pass. I feel the remains of the blaze boiling in my blood as I concentrate and attempt to take control back from whatever is holding us here. With a shout of defiance I... roll a 12. :D
bb2112
End of Days

Post by bb2112 »

Ha!
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

IceBear wrote:Known fact - after using his blaze abilities for a short time after Zordan's senses stretch into the magical.

Please roll Discern Realities
Discern Realities
When you closely study a situation or person, roll+Wis. On a 10+ ask the GM 3 questions from the list below. On a 7–9 ask 1. Take +1 forward when acting
on the answers.
• What happened here recently?
• What is about to happen?
• What should I be on the lookout for?
• What here is useful or valuable to me?
• Who’s really in control here?
• What here is not what it appears to be?
Hmm, I forgot that Discern Realities had the "Take +1 forward when acting" component. If I added that +1 to my 9 rolled to Defy Danger +STR when pushing the rocks I would have ended up with the 10 and avoided the shoulder weakness. No big deal either way; perhaps it can just heal faster/with less complete rest.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

IceBear wrote:Omar, you start rubbing the medallion but nothing happens. Perhaps this is all in your head? (Sorry, I'm not trying to lead you but dropped a couple of hints now that this might be an magical spell so that in theory your character would have a reason to fight back against it. If you choose to do so, you would roll to Defy Danger - INT to see if you can break free of the spell. I've been waiting for you to say something along those lines - trying to resist the spell - so I could suggest the roll).
Something like this?

defy spell: 2D6 = [5, 1] = 6
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Ere helps the kobold and collects one of the orc's wolf pelt wraps at the same time. Even though his normal traveling gear should be good enough for the weather in the pass he wraps the extra pelt around his shoulders. Turning to the kobold he offers him one of the pelts also. "It's too big and its best not to thing about the last owner but it is warm. I'm Ere. Who are you and how did you come to be out here?"

After learning the kobold's name he turn to observe the others. The Omar, Rurgosh, and Zordan seem to be busy with things that feel magical. Important but perhaps not immediately needing attention. When introductions are made he responds with a brief, "I'm Ere. I'm also cold. Let's get moving." When Dar moves off to look for shelter Ere goes with him, "Extra eyes are always good. I'll give you a hand."
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Madmarcus wrote:
IceBear wrote:Known fact - after using his blaze abilities for a short time after Zordan's senses stretch into the magical.

Please roll Discern Realities
Discern Realities
When you closely study a situation or person, roll+Wis. On a 10+ ask the GM 3 questions from the list below. On a 7–9 ask 1. Take +1 forward when acting
on the answers.
• What happened here recently?
• What is about to happen?
• What should I be on the lookout for?
• What here is useful or valuable to me?
• Who’s really in control here?
• What here is not what it appears to be?
Hmm, I forgot that Discern Realities had the "Take +1 forward when acting" component. If I added that +1 to my 9 rolled to Defy Danger +STR when pushing the rocks I would have ended up with the 10 and avoided the shoulder weakness. No big deal either way; perhaps it can just heal faster/with less complete rest.
Agreed. I forgot it too
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Moliere wrote:
Something like this?

defy spell: 2D6 = [5, 1] = 6
Yeah....and luckily you got a +1 from Zordan so you succeed but at a cost (which will be in pain and damage....I will post the full details later)
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

bb2112...appreciate you adding the story to your escape...it's stuff like that, that will make your character more memorable. Same to you Zenn and Madmarcus.

Some book keeping. Someone roll 7d6 to determine the number of coins you found. Also, let me know if anyone wants to take any of the other stuff.

Magical feedback: 1D6+2 = [1]+2 = 3

Omar, sensing that he's under a spell calls upon his will and frees himself. However, the experience leaves him drained and with a massive headache.

The group collects their gear and starts moving forward looking for shelter. After about half an hour, Dar spots a small cave opening. What do you do?
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Omar checks the cave opening for traps.
bb2112
End of Days

Post by bb2112 »

IceBear wrote:bb2112...appreciate you adding the story to your escape...it's stuff like that, that will make your character more memorable. Same to you Zenn and Madmarcus.

Some book keeping. Someone roll 7d6 to determine the number of coins you found. Also, let me know if anyone wants to take any of the other stuff.

Magical feedback: 1D6+2 = [1]+2 = 3

Omar, sensing that he's under a spell calls upon his will and frees himself. However, the experience leaves him drained and with a massive headache.

The group collects their gear and starts moving forward looking for shelter. After about half an hour, Dar spots a small cave opening. What do you do?
Rolls for Cash: 7D6 = [5, 5, 1, 3, 5, 1, 4] = 24
bb2112
End of Days

Post by bb2112 »

I ask all the people standing around, "Please grab some of this orc stuff that my good Kobold has stacked here. I have a trick I would like to show you tonight. Trust me, it will be worth it." I will not answer any more on the subject, but just smile and say, "it will be worth it my friends." I give them my best smile, which I don't realize just makes everyone around me uncomfortable. Except the Kobold, he gestures to the others and starts grabbing handfuls of gross orc stuff. Zordan joins in and they both grab as much as they can handle without becoming too encumbured. Most valuable stuff first, bows, any chunks of metal, so on.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

bb2112 wrote:I ask all the people standing around, "Please grab some of this orc stuff that my good Kobold has stacked here. I have a trick I would like to show you tonight. Trust me, it will be worth it." I will not answer any more on the subject, but just smile and say, "it will be worth it my friends." I give them my best smile, which I don't realize just makes everyone around me uncomfortable. Except the Kobold, he gestures to the others and starts grabbing handfuls of gross orc stuff. Zordan joins in and they both grab as much as they can handle without becoming too encumbured. Most valuable stuff first, bows, any chunks of metal, so on.
Anything I need I will just steal it later. :wink:
bb2112
End of Days

Post by bb2112 »

Moliere wrote:
bb2112 wrote:I ask all the people standing around, "Please grab some of this orc stuff that my good Kobold has stacked here. I have a trick I would like to show you tonight. Trust me, it will be worth it." I will not answer any more on the subject, but just smile and say, "it will be worth it my friends." I give them my best smile, which I don't realize just makes everyone around me uncomfortable. Except the Kobold, he gestures to the others and starts grabbing handfuls of gross orc stuff. Zordan joins in and they both grab as much as they can handle without becoming too encumbured. Most valuable stuff first, bows, any chunks of metal, so on.
"Omar, please. Please just grab some of this gear. I do have something to show you, and you will like it." Big toothy grin.
Last edited by bb2112 on Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Ere raises his eyebrows at the dragonborn's grin but picks up a couple of the axes as he moves to help Dar.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Rurgosh picks up a few items of the Orcs in an attempt to be friendly but doesn't really bother to pay attention to which items he grabs (unless there is something of stone on them in which case I grab that).
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

bb2112 wrote:
Moliere wrote:
"Omar, please. Please just grab some of this gear. I do have something to show you, and you will like it." Big toothy grin.
Omar takes out his dagger and cuts a tooth from one of the orcs, adding it to his necklace. "I'm good."
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

IceBear wrote:
Remus West wrote:Rurgosh turns back towards his traveling companion and the mountain lion. slapping his warhammer into his palm to make noise he advancing towards the lion hoping to scare it away.
:oops:

That's what happens when I wake up at 4am and post - completely forgot about the mountain lion. The good news is, Ere's rockslide scared the thing away so there's no imediate danger besides whatever happened to Omar and the cold wind.
I was wondering. I thought maybe the two of us froze in our tableau. :wink:

Edit: I am happy with that outcome, however. I didn't want to have to kill the beastie just for being a beastie.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Sheesh... apparently I'm still back a page. Other than joining the group, I'll have to catch up to see where things are at.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

The crossbows weigh 3 wt each so if you take one make sure it's not going to put you over your load limit. Each ammo is 1 wt. The battle axes normally are 2wt but because they are crude they weigh 3 wt. Also, how do you divvy up the money? I assume equally.

Omar, roll your Trap Expert move as you study the entrance for traps
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Hmmm...

After a brief glance at the others (during the whole 'standing still and staring into space' scene), Tarn recognized that he could not assist. The important thing would be to get out of the pass, and the wind.

"We need to move. Now. This is not a safe place. If they don't come out of it soon, we need to carry or leave them."

Tarn moves to the bodies by the rock slide. He will grab a spare crossbow and some extra bolts. Clearly the orcs' bows are still functional.

2nd hmmm... My sheet has 8/11 wt. The repeating crossbow has a wt of 3. What is the wt of a normal crossbow? If it is less than 3, then I'll grab 1-2 extra bundle of bolts. As for carrying stuff for Zordan to break down, are we allowed to temporarily carry more than our limit? Although...

Tarn raises an eyebrow at the dragonborn. Then dismisses the request. In weather like this, he knows better than to impair his ability to move by weighing himself down needlessly. Shelter comes first. Gesturing at the dwarf to follow, he moves off after the ranger.

Black Lives Matter

TheMix

Post by TheMix »

IceBear wrote:The crossbows weigh 3 wt each so if you take one make sure it's not going to put you over your load limit.
Are you prescient? :shock:
:D

So as much as I'd like to have some more bolts, having a working crossbow is more important for the immediate future (until I can check mine out).

Black Lives Matter

TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Tarn searches around the cave entrance for any spoor that would indicate that the cave is in use.

Black Lives Matter

Moliere

Post by Moliere »

IceBear wrote:Omar, roll your Trap Expert move as you study the entrance for traps
It's a trap!: 2D6+2 = [6, 4]+2 = 12
Is there a trap here, what activates it?
What does the trap do when activated?
What else is hidden here?