Moderator: Zaxxon

IceBear

Re: Dungeon World Campaign #2

Post by IceBear »

I need to think on the last two posts and get back to Tarn and Omar
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I didn't give you a roll yet. I'm sure you'll let me know if I need to. Of course, with both of us doing similar things, I wouldn't want to mess up his nice roll. :D

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
bb2112
End of Days
Location: Knowledge! It is almost as important as money, luck, and family connections.

Post by bb2112 »

I'm busy carrying shit. I'll leave the trap and animal stuff to the experts. What time of day is it? Are we getting close to evening so we should not only be thinking about getting out of this wind, but also settling down for the night?
That's no reason to cry. One cries because one is sad. For example, I cry because others are stupid, and that makes me sad.
Why would I stab an Oracle? Wait, what am I saying? Why wouldn't I stab an Oracle? - Belkar Bitterleaf
BCY4920 - You can suck it Johnny Angel.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I think that we'll be settling down regardless.

1) it's seriously windy/cold out there
2) we just went through a fight and need a bit of time to recover
3) we just met... we really need to "get to know each other"
4) we don't actually have an agenda yet... so we would need to figure out where to go next

All of which suggests a cozy fire is the best environment. :)

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Audience: interested I who this evil spirit is and the connection to the medallion. Also, aren't halflings usually nicer? Omar is kind of a jerk. :)
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906
bb2112
End of Days
Location: Knowledge! It is almost as important as money, luck, and family connections.

Post by bb2112 »

Scoop20906 wrote:Audience: interested I who this evil spirit is and the connection to the medallion. Also, aren't halflings usually nicer? Omar is kind of a jerk. :)
He is probably a little cranky because he didn't get his second breakfast.
That's no reason to cry. One cries because one is sad. For example, I cry because others are stupid, and that makes me sad.
Why would I stab an Oracle? Wait, what am I saying? Why wouldn't I stab an Oracle? - Belkar Bitterleaf
bb2112
End of Days

Post by bb2112 »

TheMix wrote:I think that we'll be settling down regardless.

1) it's seriously windy/cold out there
2) we just went through a fight and need a bit of time to recover
3) we just met... we really need to "get to know each other"
4) we don't actually have an agenda yet... so we would need to figure out where to go next

All of which suggests a cozy fire is the best environment. :)
"I am used to hot, desert type climes, this doesn't agree with me at all. But I am very good at making fires. Don't drop that stuff Kobold. We can't have anything happen that would diminish its value, now can we?" I give a small friendly chuckle which probably sounds anything but small and friendly to everyone else. But the Kobold gets it. He gets me.

"What's your name again? You humans all look alike."

I assume we are having this small talk on the way to the cave.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Just as a fyi, the kobold can carry a load of 3 and is currently carrying a load of 3 so he cannot carry anything more.

It's going to be too much work for me to update your sheets with the equipment you pick up all the time so if you want to take anything that's there please state it specifically and when you can update your sheet (or if you can't update the sheet let us know and hopefully one of us that can edit the sheets will do it for you).
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

It's currently mid-afternoon.
Omar wrote:Is there a trap here, what activates it?
What does the trap do when activated?
What else is hidden here?
There aren't any traps or recent signs of activity at the mouth of the cave (there are some very old animal tracks that Tarn and Dar recognize as wolf tracks).

You are about to enter the cave when you notice that what you thought was a natural crack is actually an old engraving of a circle with an eye inside it.
bb2112
End of Days

Post by bb2112 »

IceBear wrote:It's currently mid-afternoon.
Omar wrote:Is there a trap here, what activates it?
What does the trap do when activated?
What else is hidden here?
There aren't any traps or recent signs of activity at the mouth of the cave (there are some very old animal tracks that Tarn and Dar recognize as wolf tracks).

You are about to enter the cave when you notice that what you thought was a natural crack is actually an old engraving of a circle with an eye inside it.
Well, that feels comforting. What can possibly go wrong?
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Ere's sheet has been updated to reflect the few things he took from the orcs.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Q: Do I recognize the mark?

Black Lives Matter

Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

If Tarn does not recognize the mark, does Dar?

If not - "Does anyone recognize this mark?"
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

I do not suppose they had any knives/daggers? (Sidenote - why is it almost no characters start with one of these unless it is their only weapon? just seems like something that would be a common thing to have for most fighting adventurers).

Assuming they do not, I will take a crossbow and 1 ammo (4 weight puts me up to 11, but I am only taking them to our shelter so Zoldan can show us his trick). "Hope this is a good trick, the involves some fire to prevent us from freezing to death..."
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Anyone who wishes to examine the mark to decide if you know anything about it tell me what it is in your background that would give you thus knowledge and then roll Spout Lore
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Zenn7 wrote:I do not suppose they had any knives/daggers? (Sidenote - why is it almost no characters start with one of these unless it is their only weapon? just seems like something that would be a common thing to have for most fighting adventurers).

Assuming they do not, I will take a crossbow and 1 ammo (4 weight puts me up to 11, but I am only taking them to our shelter so Zoldan can show us his trick). "Hope this is a good trick, the involves some fire to prevent us from freezing to death..."
Roll 2d6. 8+ you find a dagger
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

IceBear wrote:
Zenn7 wrote:I do not suppose they had any knives/daggers? (Sidenote - why is it almost no characters start with one of these unless it is their only weapon? just seems like something that would be a common thing to have for most fighting adventurers).

Find a dagger:: 2D6 = [6, 3] = 9

"A dagger! Heh, first useful orc I have met."

I take the dagger and 1 crossbow and forget the ammo. I will make a google drive account and update my sheet with the dagger (as I am putting the xbow in the cave soon as we get there and I get a good spot to do so).

"I Have seen many of the markings commonly used by guides, explorers and scouts to mark safe areas, dangers, and other things. Perhaps this is one..."

Spout Lore: : 2D6-1 = [2, 6]-1 = 7
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

As a tracker and guide, I am familiar with many forms of markings. My affiliations have taught me a number of other ones. However, as this is a new area that I'm scouting, if the mark is regional, then I wouldn't be familiar with it.

Essentially, as Dar stated, I'm just trying to determine if this is something common or familiar (and, therefore, not magic related).

I know the story is fluid, but obviously some things are planned.

Also, I'm far more interested in getting out of the weather and getting a fire going than I am about old marks. But it might be useful to know if I should anticipate orcs/goblins sneaking up on us from a hidden passage at the back of the cave... </cough, cough>

:wink:

Black Lives Matter

Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Ere takes a look and thinks for a second. "I"ve seen a few orc marking in the past; territory marking mostly that Zolton wanted all of the caravan guards to know. Come to think of it Brodo used to talk about then also because he felt knowing something about your enemy is always helpful."

Souting Lore about Orc markings: 2D6+0 = [4, 4]+0 = 8
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Zenn7 wrote:
IceBear wrote:

Find a dagger:: 2D6 = [6, 3] = 9

"A dagger! Heh, first useful orc I have met."

I take the dagger and 1 crossbow and forget the ammo. I will make a google drive account and update my sheet with the dagger (as I am putting the xbow in the cave soon as we get there and I get a good spot to do so).

"I Have seen many of the markings commonly used by guides, explorers and scouts to mark safe areas, dangers, and other things. Perhaps this is one..."

Spout Lore: : 2D6-1 = [2, 6]-1 = 7
Just so we're clear....the ammo for a Hunter’s Bow doesn't work in a crossbow.

Based on your knowledge all you know is this mark isn't one normally used by scouts or guides
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Madmarcus wrote:Ere takes a look and thinks for a second. "I"ve seen a few orc marking in the past; territory marking mostly that Zolton wanted all of the caravan guards to know. Come to think of it Brodo used to talk about then also because he felt knowing something about your enemy is always helpful."

Based on your knowledge this is not an orcish mark. (Sorry having a hard time giving you something useful based on orcish knowledge, but I guess knowing that it isn't orcish is helpful)
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

I assume that the group is moving into the cave?
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

IceBear wrote:
Madmarcus wrote:Ere takes a look and thinks for a second. "I"ve seen a few orc marking in the past; territory marking mostly that Zolton wanted all of the caravan guards to know. Come to think of it Brodo used to talk about then also because he felt knowing something about your enemy is always helpful."

Based on your knowledge this is not an orcish mark. (Sorry having a hard time giving you something useful based on orcish knowledge, but I guess knowing that it isn't orcish is helpful)
Not a problem; if its not an orcish mark that is some info.

"I"m going in. We need to get out of this wind and the mark isn't something an orc would make. I don't want to mess with the magic that felled the halfling but I don't like freezing either." Ere holds his axe and shield at the ready and walks into the cave staying to one side to let more light in. "Does one of you have some torches? Or dragonfire I guess."
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

IceBear wrote:Just so we're clear....the ammo for a Hunter’s Bow doesn't work in a crossbow.
I was clear on that. :) I was grabbing the ammo initially cause I had 1 weight left before the dagger, and the dragonmage was going to show us a cool trick. Thinking the more wood, the better/longer lasting fire his trick would produce to keep us warm.

Regarding the cave -

As these are clearly not traveler guides and not orcish marks, perhaps one of the others will recognize them. Seeing Ere walk in and not get smacked down by some arcane blast or divine bolt, Dar concludes it is at least safe enough to get in the cave and out of the weather and let others examine the mark.

Dar lights a torch (using 1 adventuring gear, 4 left), and heads into the cave announcing "Perhaps the mark is arcane or divine. Maybe Rurgosh or Zoldan will know what it is. I will check further into the cave for any other clues or dangers."
Shadow comes with me to help.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

TheMix wrote:I know the story is fluid, but obviously some things are planned.
True, but I'm wondering if the mark was a response to some roll, or what the mark is will be revealed by some roll (the first person to roll a 10 or higher... or a 6 or lower). Totally a meta-game curiosity thought. :)
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

The cave was just going to be a cave but then Moliere rolled so well on his Find Traps I felt like I should reward him with something. I literally have no story idea at this point in time other than maybe there's some magical lake that might show up tomorrow at the other end of this pass.

Oh and because I am winging stuff things occur to me after the fact. Since the orcs were also traveling the pass and there aren't many trees here they do have supplies for making a campfire.

I think we used 1 adventuring gear gave 3 torches last time so if you want you can write down 2 extra torches if you want

Edit: I also know that the halfling has something that someone (something?) wants back. The magic stuff just seemed like the easiest way to put him in a spot with a crappy roll and then it was easy to follow on with the next ones
Last edited by IceBear on Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

The cave is about 15ft across and generally circular in shape. There looks like some spoor from wolves (very old) and there is the remains of an old campfire in the center of the cave, where the floor rises slightly.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

IceBear wrote:The cave is about 15ft across and generally circular in shape. There looks like some spoor from wolves (very old) and there is the remains of an old campfire in the center of the cave, where the floor rises slightly.
Dar returns to the party (not that he left their sight in 15 ft with a lit torch..), "After extensive exploration, I think the cave is barely large enough to contain us all comfortably. I will work on making a campfire with the campfire supplies we acquired from the orcs." Knowing the campfire supplies were there, if no one else took/was able to take them, I would have taken them in place of the crossbow.

And yes, think I'll keep the other 2 torches. Might be very handy.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Now that we have some shelter from the wind, once we get warmed up, we could go back and scout the battlefield again. If necessary. It's only half an hour back and the day isn't over. However, in a cave, it shouldn't take much in the way of resources to keep a fire going that warms the place; so I'm not going to advocate for making a trip back unless necessary.

One thing that I will do, once I get warmed up a bit, is backtrack our trail to try and cover it.

"Dar, I think we should cover our tracks in case that isn't the only orc party in the area. Will you join me?"

Black Lives Matter

Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

TheMix wrote:Now that we have some shelter from the wind, once we get warmed up, we could go back and scout the battlefield again. If necessary. It's only half an hour back and the day isn't over. However, in a cave, it shouldn't take much in the way of resources to keep a fire going that warms the place; so I'm not going to advocate for making a trip back unless necessary.

One thing that I will do, once I get warmed up a bit, is backtrack our trail to try and cover it.

"Dar, I think we should cover our tracks in case that isn't the only orc party in the area. Will you join me?"
"Good idea Tarn, Shadow and I will accompany you." Dar thinks this will be a good chance to get to know Tarn the hunter a little better and perhaps exchange some professional tips and tricks.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

While we are warming up around the fire and securing our camp, before Tarn and I go off to cover our tracks... hopefully we will find out if anyone knows what that mark is. :)

And we can do some deeper introductions and discussions!

"You seem like a well-travelled lot. The famine and pestilence that has come upon the human lands south of the pass... is the everywhere? Even to the Dwarf lands of the north? It has spread to my forest. I am hoping to find the hidden lake. The healing properties I have heard of will hopefully help heal my forest land and possible even the human lands beyond."

"Rurgosh, please tell me more about your deity. What is his focus? What do you do for him to carry out his will?"
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Out of character -
how is the Dragon mage from the perspective of "arcane support"?
Are we potentially suffering from a lack in that area? Not that we have to have it to play the game, but generally provides more overall balance and probably more things for our GM to work with (since if we have little/no arcane support/ability, we are not going to be exploring that area overly much to get those nasty rolls for him to grow arcane related plots from - or something like that).

Asking before we get too far in case we might want to make any changes. I like my ranger, but if there is some area we are lacking in, I could switch to something that might help more. My current plan was to take up divine magic at second level so we have some additional healing/support in that area (and fits my character theme so it's not something I am just taking on cause I think we need it). But if we needed a wizard (or some other more direct arcane class) more...

Or does it not really matter, game will run with whatever we have and I should stop worrying about such abstract things?
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

While some of the party members go for a walk Omar inspects the cave and their belongings, making sure everything is safe...
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Moliere wrote:While some of the party members go for a walk Omar inspects the cave and their belongings, making sure everything is safe...
Why would we leave anything behind? Not exactly as if we have heavy loads of excess gear we are carting around. And never know what we might need from our packs. (Except for that crossbow that I carting for the dragon-mage).
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Zenn7 wrote:Or does it not really matter, game will run with whatever we have and I should stop worrying about such abstract things?
This.
Moliere wrote:While some of the party members go for a walk Omar inspects the cave and their belongings, making sure everything is safe...
As if I'd leave my pack. Ha.

Black Lives Matter

Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Once we get a fire going Ere is content to tend it and rest his shoulder while others go about their desired tasks. He's not noticeably quiet but neither is he outgoing. In particular, the only thing he'll say about his reason for being in the pass is that he screwed up his last job, "I wasn't going to pass up a friendly wager was I? They should have been perfectly safe. But they weren't and right now I'm going after the orc leader who attacked them. After that I'm looking for a dwarf to deliver a message."

There is no mention of looking for a kobold. He does pay particular attention to making sure that the kobold is treated as a member of the party. The message from his murdered master is not brought out for examination or even directly mentioned unless Rurgosh specifically seems interested in helping.
bb2112
End of Days

Post by bb2112 »

Even though I am not a traditional Mage, I can still do Mage like functions and rolls. I have an idea for the ruins and will post some story flair in a bit. Not sure if it will be anything IB will want to go with, but hey, you never know. :D
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Yeah, I find a full on wizard makes things "easier" but I am sure that the group will manage. The Dragon Mage has moves that he can take when he levels that can let him take moves from the wizard class if he wants (most of them are more about becoming more like a dragon) think it's too late now but this could have been a world without arcane magic at all (but we've had a glimpse of it already)

BTW, I saw a lot of people state that they are thinking of doing something but I am not acting on any of that as it read as speculation rather than I am doing this. Also we haven't heard from everyone yet.
GM wrote:The hunter and ranger spend an hour backtracking and removing any tracks that the party left. They are confident that any other orcs won't pick up their trail.
By the time they make it back to the cave the pain of Ere's shoulder is gone"
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

I will not worry about the lack of a mage then.

Though if I'd had switched characters, disappearing while I was out with just Tarn might have made for an interesting story for Tarn to have to explain. "Uh... he just wandered off into the cold..." :)

When we return to the cave:

As we settle into the firelight and have a chance to really see each other better, Dar removes the hood from his cloak to settle in. A large, very nasty looking and very old scar runs diagonally across his face.

"Ere, good to see your shoulder is better warrior. We are stuck here for the night. We should plan a watch rotation. Likely we are safe enough without one, but one can never be too careful. I will take a middle night shift."

If we did end up bringing anything back for the dragon-mage - "Zoldan, you had us bring this stuff for you. Please show us this trick now." (standing back a bit... remembering his last trick - lighting the party on fire)

Regarding the coins from earlier - I would vote for an even split (assuming we did that since someone suggested earlier we might and no one said anything different, but putting it forth specifically for the record). Likewise, I would be in favor of this for any future coin we acquire.

(err... sorry, didn't get to get an account set up last night, will try to tonight - only changes so far are that I have a dagger (1 more weight), 2 torches, and 1 less adventuring gear - I am keeping track)
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

I will examine the mark to see if it resembles any of the religious symbols I am familiar with.

Also, I will cast Sanctuary around the edge of the cave as far back as I can or up until just around the edge of a corner.

Spout Lore regarding symbol - lose the +1 if not Wisdom based: 2D6 + 1 = [4, 2]+1 = 7
So, I may know something or I may learn something from the failure.

Cast Sanc - +1 from Wisdom, -1 from ongoing effect: 2D6 = [3, 5] = 8

When all that is done I will settle down and try to talk to the stone here to see what has been happening here in the past. Who made the fire? Did they leave anything here? Are there often visitors in the cave?

Speak with stone +1, -1: 2D6 = [6, 1] = 7
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken