Dungeon World Campaign #2

This is the place for self-contained forum games

Moderator: Zaxxon

Madmarcus

Re: Dungeon World Campaign #2

Post by Madmarcus »

I hate to day it IB but I'm glad you are being a little more sporadic because I'm being horrible. I was going to mention this in a couple of weeks but perhaps I need to say it now. I'm going to be teaching ESOL (normally I'm a physics teacher - this is a stretch) in China for roughly 3 weeks during July. Recently, particularly the last week, I've been working on that when I'm at the computer so I'm not being very good at posting. It will get worse in July.

Ere yells that there seems to be something in the entrance but will continue to attempt to hold the way to the entrance open for others to run for it if they can disengage. With the mobility of the insectoids he doesn't want to get into chasing them so he'll attempt to strike down ones near him (stun damage as I still think it can help us cut down the odds). As a player I'm not sure whether there are any right there.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Moliere wrote:
IceBear wrote:
Moliere wrote:
IceBear wrote:Standing over the dwarf, it raises it's spear to plunge into him, while it whips throwing discs at Dar and Omar.
Not sure how far Omar is after the bug's leap so...

Omar slices his dagger through air where the bug was standing only moments ago. He watches as the dwarf is jumped upon, a spear about to be plunged down. Omar moves to dodge the incoming disc while making a leap towards the bug in order to knock him off balance.
Roll a Defy Danger-Dex to see if you can avoid the throwing discs and then roll 2d6 + 0 (you don't have any bonds with Rurgosh) to try to assist him with the bugman
avoid discs: 2D6+2 = [4, 1]+2 = 7
Assist the dwarf: 2D6 = [1, 2] = 3
Somehow I don't think that's going to help anyone. Sorry, I tried. :oops:
Sorry, was in a meeting all morning.

Omar dodges out of the way of the throwing discs (you marvel at how slow they seem to move) but suddenly shadow infused vines wrap around you. As you cut yourself free of them you stumble and land on Rurgosh, taking the spear blow meant for him. Luckily, your sudden appearance threw its aim off and its spear glances off your armor and bruises you for 1 point of damage

Spear attack : 1D8 = [2] = 2
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Zenn7 wrote:
IceBear wrote:
Remus West wrote:Seeing no pause in the insectoids attacks Rurgosh brings his hammer down in a fierce blow against the insectoid warrior's knee.

Hack and Slash Insectoid Warrior: 2D6 = [6, 2] = 8

Damage to Warrior: 1D6 + 1D4 = [3]+[1] = 4

Succeeding in giving him a slight contusion.
(This is the one still over by Dar, right?)

Rurgosh's warhammer slams into the creature's leg, cracking the exoskeleton slightly (1 damage). As Dar's spear and Omar's dagger come at it from behind, it leaps high into the air, avoiding the attacks, and landing solidly on the dwarf, knocking him down. Standing over the dwarf, it raises it's spear to plunge into him, while it whips throwing discs at Dar and Omar.
At the point he's throwing discs at Dar - isn't Dar in a tree, near a fire, trying to climb down and not get burnt to a crisp (or maybe up to the point of hacking the limb that's holding him)?

This thing really wants me dead! :)

Under the circumstances, I doubt Dar is paying any attention at all to discs being thrown at him, but if there is a chance to do something about the discs, Dar will attempt to dodge them.
Well, you cut yourself loose and are on the ground next to the tree about to be on fire (depends on the dice :P).

Please roll Defy Danger - Dex to avoid the discs.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

As you start to swing at the insectoid, Omar lands on you causing your mace to tumble out of your hand and land several feet away.

Seeing two of its prey below it, it raises its spear again in an attempt to impale both Omar and Rurgosh.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Being smarter and wiser than he is strong Rurgosh attempts to roll himself away from the insectoid as quickly as possible in the direction of the downed insectoid in hopes of grabbing the dead one's spear (this world doesn't have anything against Cleric using pointy and/or edged weapons does it? If it helps I can't imagine a Bear god with really sharp claws minds his servants cutting or stabbing things).
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
bb2112
End of Days
Location: Knowledge! It is almost as important as money, luck, and family connections.

Post by bb2112 »

Let me know when I can attack again. :D
That's no reason to cry. One cries because one is sad. For example, I cry because others are stupid, and that makes me sad.
Why would I stab an Oracle? Wait, what am I saying? Why wouldn't I stab an Oracle? - Belkar Bitterleaf
BCY4920 - You can suck it Johnny Angel.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Remus West wrote:Being smarter and wiser than he is strong Rurgosh attempts to roll himself away from the insectoid as quickly as possible in the direction of the downed insectoid in hopes of grabbing the dead one's spear (this world doesn't have anything against Cleric using pointy and/or edged weapons does it? If it helps I can't imagine a Bear god with really sharp claws minds his servants cutting or stabbing things).
That kind of stuff is up to you (and you answered it already) so you can try to grab the dead one's spear. However having a halfling lying on you gives you a -2 penalty on your Defy Danger-Dex of trying to reach the spear before he runs you through
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

bb2112 wrote:Let me know when I can attack again. :D
I think you've waited long enough, so feel free to describe what you are doing. I will point out that you notice that the ground around the druid one seems to be rippling like water
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Could someone give a rough update on positioning?
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

You and Zordan are over by the cave entrance. Zordan moved into the zone leading to the exit and is trying to keep the 5 insectoids away so the rest of the group could run through. Unfortunately a druid insectoid came out of the maze exit. The rest of the party are over by the woods (about 30ft away) and have killed one of the two that attacked them but due to a comedy of errors Omar is lying on top of Rurgosh who is trying to reach a spear before he and Omar become joined at the hearts with a spear. Dar is currently dodging some discs
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Thanks. Somehow I had completely miss-read the position of the druid and thought he was over by Dar and company.

Seeing that Dar, Omar, and Rurgosh seem to be at least keeping the creatures fully occupied Ere turns to the druid and attacks. Still looking to get a solid hit to the thorax/chest and stun the creature.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Madmarcus wrote:Thanks. Somehow I had completely miss-read the position of the druid and thought he was over by Dar and company.

Seeing that Dar, Omar, and Rurgosh seem to be at least keeping the creatures fully occupied Ere turns to the druid and attacks. Still looking to get a solid hit to the thorax/chest and stun the creature.
There are 5 of the insectoids between it and you....just a FYI. You can try to skirt them to get to the wall and then move to the exit where the druid is or you can try to run through the melee to get to him, but you will need to avoid atracks. And you can see the ground rippling under the druid too
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

IceBear wrote:Well, you cut yourself loose and are on the ground next to the tree about to be on fire (depends on the dice :P).

Please roll Defy Danger - Dex to avoid the discs.
Dar nimbly dodges...

defy danger (dex): : 2D6+2 = [3, 1]+2 = 6

... right into the discs I'm guessing... (maybe I can join the Rurgosh/Omar circus somehow! :P )
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

The discs just miss you, but not your armor. You find yourself pinned to the tree by two throwing discs that pinned your armor - one at the shoulder and one at the waist - a tree now on fire
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Can I pull the discs out or am I trying to rip my armor free? (Not sure what my potential options of attempting to escape are in this particular scenario).
bb2112
End of Days
Location: Knowledge! It is almost as important as money, luck, and family connections.

Post by bb2112 »

OOC:
I thought the Druid guy was by Dar too.

IC:
Zordan yells to the Human, "the one with the headdress is mine. You keep the path open."

I use 1 of my held blaze to leap over the 5 between us and into the entrance and attack the Druid. I try to leap on its back and disrupt whatever spell he is trying to cast. Question: Do I still have my claws from last time, or do I have to spend my remaining blaze on claws again?

Hack & slash:
That's no reason to cry. One cries because one is sad. For example, I cry because others are stupid, and that makes me sad.
Why would I stab an Oracle? Wait, what am I saying? Why wouldn't I stab an Oracle? - Belkar Bitterleaf
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Sorry...I mentioned to someone that failed a roll (or got a partial) that they saw movement in the exit so with the next one the druid stepped out into the light. I think that person was Dar so I can understand the confusion as he was so far away. Was just trying to avoid the boring...you fall from the tree and take damage move...and it came to me that it would be dramatic to have a cleric of Nutaria that had been corrupted by that shadow god/demon in the future so I went with that...though in hindsight I should have probably waited until he was closer

Didn't look at your roll as, unfortunately, you aren't able to hack and slash because....

As Zordan's wings take him over the heads of the others the bubbling ground around the druid rises up, covers it, and then sinks down swallowing the druid. Zordan sees the patch of bubbling ground swiftly move about 20ft away and the druid is expelled from the earth. With a vicious hand gesture shards of stone from the nearby rock wall explode towards Zordan
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Madmarcus wrote:I hate to day it IB but I'm glad you are being a little more sporadic because I'm being horrible. I was going to mention this in a couple of weeks but perhaps I need to say it now. I'm going to be teaching ESOL (normally I'm a physics teacher - this is a stretch) in China for roughly 3 weeks during July. Recently, particularly the last week, I've been working on that when I'm at the computer so I'm not being very good at posting. It will get worse in July.

Ere yells that there seems to be something in the entrance but will continue to attempt to hold the way to the entrance open for others to run for it if they can disengage. With the mobility of the insectoids he doesn't want to get into chasing them so he'll attempt to strike down ones near him (stun damage as I still think it can help us cut down the odds). As a player I'm not sure whether there are any right there.
That sounds like a great opportunity so let me wish you the best of luck and wish that you have a great experience.

I know that I am on vacation in July and with the nice weather and my son out of school I suspect my posting might get even more sporadic so it might be worth putting things on hold until the fall, but until then...

The creatures have a reach and positional advantage on you so to attack them will require a Defy Danger just to get yourself into a range to hit them. Also, I can see you possibly getting two of them at once to commit to moving within range so depending on how you narrate your action you might be able to attack two at once (although that opens you up to being attacked by 2...which would probably happen anyway). Just wanted to explain the situation a little more before you commit to an action. It sounded like you were going to do a Hack and Slash with stun damage but after this post I would like for you to describe how you attack one (or two) of them, including how you avoid their attacks as you try to get close enough to do so
bb2112
End of Days

Post by bb2112 »

IceBear wrote:
Didn't look at your roll as, unfortunately, you aren't able to hack and slash because....

As Zordan's wings take him over the heads of the others the bubbling ground around the druid rises up, covers it, and then sinks down swallowing the druid. Zordan sees the patch of bubbling ground swiftly move about 20ft away and the druid is expelled from the earth. With a vicious hand gesture shards of stone from the nearby rock wall explode towards Zordan
Don't I have to fail a roll to get attacked? So what am I supposed to do here, dodge the attack? Or since he moved while I was moving can I cut my leap short and land behind the five guarding the entrance and put Ere on one side of them attacking and Zordan on the other. That would be assuming I am too far away to get hit with shards or the insectoids would also be hit. Sorry, I just need some clarification on what my choices are. I know things don't occur in turn based fashion like D&D, but sometimes it is hard to get what is happening.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Yeah...technically there are several ways for a GM to make a move and I have been trying to limit myself to just failed rolls with Play by Post but been finding that less than satisfying when it comes to combat (I find that the monsters don't really get to do much - unless the rolls are bad - but stand around to get hit).

The other times I get to make a move is when the players look to you to find out what happens next (which I took liberty with here figuring that if we were at the table you'd be looking over at me going WTF) or if the player presents me with a Golden Opportunity (There is a thief with a dagger in the shadows...what do you do? I ignore him and turn my back to open the chest...he stabs you in the back).

I will compromise here and say at the last minute it moves away to safety (so you land where you were originally intending) but I won't show the sign of approaching danger (the rock shards that need to be avoided)

From the system reference document
When to Make a Move

You make a move:

- When everyone looks to you to find out what happens
- When the players give you a golden opportunity
- When they roll a 6-

Generally when the players are just looking at you to find out what happens you make a soft move, otherwise you make a hard move.

A soft move is one without immediate, irrevocable consequences. That usually means it’s something not all that bad, like revealing that there’s more treasure if they can just find a way past the golem (offer an opportunity with cost). It can also mean that it’s something bad, but they have time to avoid it, like having the goblin archers loose their arrows (show signs of an approaching threat) with a chance for them to dodge out of danger.

A soft move ignored becomes a golden opportunity for a hard move. If the players do nothing about the hail of arrows flying towards them it’s a golden opportunity to use the deal damage move.

Hard moves, on the other hand, have immediate consequences. Dealing damage is almost always a hard move, since it means a loss of HP that won’t be recovered without some action from the players.

When you have a chance to make a hard move you can opt for a soft one instead if it better fits the situation. Sometimes things just work out for the best.
I have been using the first option all the time...whenever you enter a new room you're all looking to me to find out what's there
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

IceBear wrote:I have been using the first option all the time...whenever you enter a new room you're all looking to me to find out what's there
That's it, next room we enter, we'll just have to tell you what's in there. The empty square room other than the non-trapped box that contains whatever all treasures we are looking for and other items we'd really like! :P

Kidding, that'd be boring and pointless. It was just my first through, "fine, we stop looking to you to see what there when we enter a new room. :)
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Here are all my moves
Moves

Whenever everyone looks to you to see what happens choose one of these. Each move is something that occurs in the fiction of the game—they aren’t code words or special terms. “Use up their resources” literally means to expend the resources of the characters, for example.

Use a monster, danger, or location move
Reveal an unwelcome truth
Show signs of an approaching threat
Deal damage
Use up their resources
Turn their move back on them
Separate them
Give an opportunity that fits a class’ abilities
Show a downside to their class, race, or equipment
Offer an opportunity, with or without cost
Put someone in a spot
Tell them the requirements or consequences and ask
Typically when you open a door I will show signs of an approaching threat (you see monsters) or offer an opportunity (you see half of a stone disc in a statues' hand)

The one thing that I want to emphasize is the GM principles
Principles

Draw maps, leave blanks
Address the characters, not the players
Embrace the fantastic
Make a move that follows
Never speak the name of your move
Give every monster life
Name every person
Ask questions and use the answers
Be a fan of the characters
Think dangerous
Begin and end with the fiction
Think offscreen, too]
I haven't been doing those as much as I should be...a lot because I was trying to be transparent and teaching, but the one that I wanted to draw attention to (as I know a lot of people came from more adversarial backgrounds where their GM was out to get them) is the Be a fan of the characters. That means that while I might seem to be stacking the deck against you all I am trying to do is increase the drama so that it's more exciting and memorable. Who talks about the time you waded through the group of goblins and slaughtered them without a scratch vs the time they held back a horde while the townsfolk fled, killing the goblin chieftain with your last blow as you pass out from your wounds.

So if I seem to be making your lives difficult I am...for story reasons. If I screw up and make it too difficult I just make softer moves instead of hard until things turn
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

I think you've done an amazing job with this story as you did the previous one. I'm enjoying this thread/game immensely.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Thanks...was just making sure that no one thought I was being arbitrary or unfair for no good reason and to suggest that there be a level of trust that I'm not trying to kill the players. I know that's how D&D started, but really it (and the industry) has morphed more into a collaborative storytelling with dice than a GM trying to make a dungeon that will kill the party (cough - Tomb of Horrors - cough - originally meant for conventions when people were trying to determine if they were "better" than others at playing D&D)
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Back to the story and my attempt to roll away from the bug and retrieve his fallen compatriots spear......what should I roll?
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Answered that already, but I miss things all the time so here's what I said again
That kind of stuff is up to you (and you answered it already) so you can try to grab the dead one's spear. However having a halfling lying on you gives you a -2 penalty on your Defy Danger-Dex of trying to reach the spear before he runs you through
OR (you are evil - Harm another to prove the superiority of your god/church - will earn you 1xp at the end of the session if you can describe doing it in a way which fits that...which I'm aiming for when you get back into the maze)

You could use Omar as a human shield and then twist him and the spear away so you won't take any damage and can get the spear without a roll.

Once you have the spear and we deal with any complications from the roll, you can then Hack and Slash
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

I don't really picture Rurgosh as the "place another in danger meant for him but more of a "Eh, if that guy dies and it causes more people to believe in Orso its fine." type. Not actively Evil per say but the description of neutral just didn't fit for me either.

Plus, Rurgosh is wise enough to know that using Omar as a pin cushion wouldn't really be a party solidifying event.

So, Rurgosh will grab Omar (if he happens to get hit instead of me while I try to get us both away...oops) and roll us both away towards the free spear.

defy danger from stabby thing with halfling on top: 2D6-2 = [4, 5]-2 = 7
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

I know, was just throwing it out there and was hoping that you would ignore it because I'm more for party harmony than friction :)
On a 7–9, you stumble, hesitate, or flinch: the GM will offer you a worse outcome, hard bargain, or ugly choice.
Here's your ugly choice, you can throw Omar towards the spear but you'll get hit by the spear, or you can get the spear but the action will tie up Omar long enough that he'll get hit by the spear.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Remus West wrote:I think you've done an amazing job with this story as you did the previous one. I'm enjoying this thread/game immensely.
I'll second that. There are places where I might read the rules a little differently* but I'm enjoying the game.

* Note that this is not a complain nor a request that you change. On the other hand I like playing what if and thinking about rules systems. I'm not sure I'd consider describing the location to be responding the the players looking at you to see what happens. On the other hand I believe that I would tend to leave smaller gaps in the draw maps, leave gaps maxim. Its fun seeing a different take on the same rules.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Unimportant but the druid appeared when Ere got a partial success in attempting to get between the insects and the entrence. I know part of my confusion was because I thought that the success portion of the partial success ended up with him standing with his back to the entrance having rushed through similar to Zordan's burn assisted flight over. No big deal.

Ere shakes his head a little when Zordan calls out the druid, "Fool dragonborn. He's only yours if you can catch him!" His laugh doesn't last long as he gets down to business. More comfortable with a one handed style he pulls out his franseca in his off hand to parry with and walks towards the creatures with his battle ax constantly moving. "You're big and strong and ugly but can you fight?" He angles around to attempt to get the entrance offering at least some protection on one side while knocking spear thrusts down and to the side with the franseca and chopping the shafts with the bigger ax. The parrying and attacks on the shafts are just a means to an end though to get inside their reach because as soon as he is in he switches to a strong smash on a creature before stepping back an turning to face another.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Madmarcus wrote:Unimportant but the druid appeared when Ere got a partial success in attempting to get between the insects and the entrence. I know part of my confusion was because I thought that the success portion of the partial success ended up with him standing with his back to the entrance having rushed through similar to Zordan's burn assisted flight over. No big deal.
Agreed...I keep making that mistake with the 7-9 results. The general rule I was taught when I learned the game was 10+ you succeed, 7-9 you succeed but at a cost (soft move) and 6- GM takes a move (can be a hard move). The problem is, since I learned those rules they added exact definition for what happens when you get a 7-9 on a roll for most of the moves. So, yeah, I keep defaulting back to "Show sign of approaching danger" with a 7-9 on a Defy Danger and I shouldn't (just hard to come up with a worse outcome - that one always confuses me as how do you get a worse outcome on a success, hard bargain all the time so I drop back to the general moves...I'll try to stop doing that.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Madmarcus wrote:Unimportant but the druid appeared when Ere got a partial success in attempting to get between the insects and the entrence. I know part of my confusion was because I thought that the success portion of the partial success ended up with him standing with his back to the entrance having rushed through similar to Zordan's burn assisted flight over. No big deal.

Ere shakes his head a little when Zordan calls out the druid, "Fool dragonborn. He's only yours if you can catch him!" His laugh doesn't last long as he gets down to business. More comfortable with a one handed style he pulls out his franseca in his off hand to parry with and walks towards the creatures with his battle ax constantly moving. "You're big and strong and ugly but can you fight?" He angles around to attempt to get the entrance offering at least some protection on one side while knocking spear thrusts down and to the side with the franseca and chopping the shafts with the bigger ax. The parrying and attacks on the shafts are just a means to an end though to get inside their reach because as soon as he is in he switches to a strong smash on a creature before stepping back an turning to face another.
That sounds like a Defy Danger - STR (think that's your best mod) so go ahead a roll that unless in your head you thought it was something else (half distracted by work).
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

IceBear wrote: That sounds like a great opportunity so let me wish you the best of luck and wish that you have a great experience.
Thanks. It should be very interesting. Its also a rather cool deal in that I'm getting mega-brownie points with my boss for doing it. It's not directly work related but my school wants to form a longer term partnership with the organization so I'm the guinea pig.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

IceBear wrote: That sounds like a Defy Danger - STR (think that's your best mod) so go ahead a roll that unless in your head you thought it was something else (half distracted by work).
Swatting aside their spear thrusts: 2D6+2 = [4, 5]+2 = 11

Hack and slash : 2D6+2 = [1, 3]+2 = 6

So I can fight my way inside their guard and get pummeled (or otherwise abused) for it!
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

IceBear wrote: Agreed...I keep making that mistake with the 7-9 results. The general rule I was taught when I learned the game was 10+ you succeed, 7-9 you succeed but at a cost (soft move) and 6- GM takes a move (can be a hard move). The problem is, since I learned those rules they added exact definition for what happens when you get a 7-9 on a roll for most of the moves. So, yeah, I keep defaulting back to "Show sign of approaching danger" with a 7-9 on a Defy Danger and I shouldn't (just hard to come up with a worse outcome - that one always confuses me as how do you get a worse outcome on a success, hard bargain all the time so I drop back to the general moves...I'll try to stop doing that.
I thought the druid showing up was fine; good soft move of sign of approaching danger that turned into danger later in response to other things. I suppose technically its a mistake according to the current SRD but who cares.

My confusion was just on the positioning afterwards. I don't think that has anything to do with moves on either side but just differing mental pictures. Combined with my slow reaction in posting and the cool stuff going on around Dar, Rurgosh, and Omar it's nothing to worry about.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Yeah...if we were at a table I'd sketch a map and use minis. Hard to sketch stuff on my phone quickly
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

IceBear wrote:Yeah...if we were at a table I'd sketch a map and use minis. Hard to sketch stuff on my phone quickly
I don't even like typing on my phone. I posted faster during the school year because OO isn't blocked so I could type on a desktop during planning.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

IceBear wrote:I know, was just throwing it out there and was hoping that you would ignore it because I'm more for party harmony than friction :)
On a 7–9, you stumble, hesitate, or flinch: the GM will offer you a worse outcome, hard bargain, or ugly choice.
Here's your ugly choice, you can throw Omar towards the spear but you'll get hit by the spear, or you can get the spear but the action will tie up Omar long enough that he'll get hit by the spear.
Well, since Omar is already armed and can thus fight back while I can not I..............toss him out of the way and take the spear hit.

"We need more practice working as a team, my friend."

OOC: Leaving to coach junior nationals tonight through Sunday night so posting will be sporadic at best.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

OOC: game rules/play/whatever - it's all good. Think we're all having fun (I know I am). I trust you are not out to slaughter us and you are attempting to make an enjoyable game and follow the rules as well as this medium allows given your understanding. You are making this enjoyable and generally coming up with entertaining results for our bad rolls as well.

IC: Dar is stuck to an on fire tree by 2 discs. Are these discs something I can rip out or try to jerk my body loose? If not, not sure what I can do to get loose.
bb2112
End of Days

Post by bb2112 »

Ok, not sure if I'm to dodge the shards or not. If so, I will cover my face and try to use brute strength to get through it (as strength gives me an extra +1). If that is not possible then I will use dodge.

Defy danger:
Then I will charge the remaining 5 at the entrance and attack.
Spoiler:
Attack: 2D6+2 = [4, 4]+2 = 10

Take no strike back since I still need a healer and he is rolling in the mud with Omar so...

Damage:
Attack: 1D8 = [4] = 4 Pierce 3