Dungeon World Campaign #2

This is the place for self-contained forum games

Moderator: Zaxxon

IceBear

Re: Dungeon World Campaign #2

Post by IceBear »

Zenn7 wrote:
IceBear wrote:
Zenn7 wrote:Starting with the bolts raining down on us...

I head for cover first and return fire at the most open (assuming any are in noticeably less cover than the others) else closest crossbow shooting orc.

As nothing is coming at me, I direct Shadow to seek cover and assist the Halfling (as he cannot really attack on his own, engage/pin one down - this should distract one from the Halfling, maybe will help the Halfling get a backstab in).

As far as getting lit on fire -stop/drop/roll. Shadow will do the same if necessary.

I realize a lot has happened so some of the above may not be logical any more, but starting from the beginning, will adjust/roll as needed.
Thanks Zenn7.

There are still two orcs with crossbows so roll 2d6+Dex to volley at one of them.

For Shadow roll 2d6 + Bond (your bonds with Omar) to try and aid his attempt at backstabbing the orc.

Finally Defy Danger-Dex to put out the fire.

Unfortunately with this number of rolls at once we get into issues as failures and partial successes start to snowball but that's my fault. I will work on slowing things down in the future. Even if it takes a day or so for everyone to get their action in
Rapidly firing my bow...
Volley (Dex): 2D6+2 = [2, 4]+2 = 8

Volley Damage: 1D8 = [1] = 1

I barely manage to knick one of the orcs.

(Does a 1 damage count as a suitable penalty? :p)

I choose - You have to take what you can get: -1d6 damage - since I only did 1 point - didn't roll - I did zero points. Apparently the drop of blood I thought I saw was just orc spittle.

Shadow assist Omar:: 2D6 = [4, 5] = 9

Not sure what a cost would be in this case. Leaves danger or retribution - not quite sure what the difference (seems like one is a chance at being hurt, one is a definite being hurt). If I have a choice, guess I'd go with danger.

And finally, stop/drop/roll (like a pro!):

Defy Danger (dex):: 2D6+2 = [5, 6]+2 = 13

Assuming (prior to the danger roll above at least) that Shadow did not need to douse fire as you did not mention him specifically needing to (or maybe he succeeded/failed with me).

As for slowing things down - I understand that with my daytime posting limit, I may be a zombie during some rounds of combat. I am OK with that if it doesn't hurt the game too much. Hate to hold up everything just for me.
You quickly smoother the flames and then direct Shadow into distracting the orc. It works, and now Omar has an extra +1 on his Defy Danger-Dex (+3 total now). However the orc now turns towards Shadow and raises his axe.....
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

bb2112 wrote:WWZD - So in a blind rage I shove my claws into the orc's chest and stomach and tear it open so his organs and entrails burst out on the ground while hopping away to make sure I avoid most of the gore. All the while yelling at the other Orcs, "Be gone foul beasts! Lest you all suffer the same fate!"

So 1d8 normal damage, +2 for being cruel, +1d6 because I'm being exceptionally stupid and reckless.

Zordan decides to kick ass while on fire! : 1D8+2+1D6 = [4]+2+[6] = 12 (+3 pierce)
AWESOME!
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

IceBear wrote:
Moliere wrote:
IceBear wrote:Make a Defy Danger-Dex to see if you can quickly lose the orc behind the boulder and then climb over it to get behind it without its notice
I can't find this on my sheet. Can you confirm what I should be rolling here.
It's noton your sheet....its one of the basic moves from that sheet. When I say Defy Danger-Dex that means that I want you to Defy Danger using your Dex mod (2d6+2).
Defy Danger When you act despite an imminent threat or suffer a calamity, say how you deal with it and roll. If you do it… •  …by powering through, +Str •  …by getting out of the way or acting fast, +Dex •  …by enduring, +Con •  …with quick thinking, +Int •  …through mental fortitude, +Wis •  …using charm and social grace, +Cha On a 10+, you do what you set out to, the threat doesn’t come to bear. On a 7–9, you stumble, hesitate, or flinch: the GM will offer you a worse outcome, hard bargain, or ugly choice.
Duck and cover: 2D6+2 = [5, 4]+2 = 11
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

TheMix wrote:
Zenn7 wrote:First party I come and help save them from a goblin ambush, and immediately after I kill a goblin, mid-fight with them still, the thief puts a knife to my neck.
Heh. I'd forgotten about that. That was funny. :lol:
That was me, wasn't it? :oops:

TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Scoop20906 wrote:
TheMix wrote:
Zenn7 wrote:First party I come and help save them from a goblin ambush, and immediately after I kill a goblin, mid-fight with them still, the thief puts a knife to my neck.
I believe so. Keeping you in check was a full time job!

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Moliere wrote:
IceBear wrote:
Moliere wrote:
IceBear wrote:Make a Defy Danger-Dex to see if you can quickly lose the orc behind the boulder and then climb over it to get behind it without its notice
I can't find this on my sheet. Can you confirm what I should be rolling here.
It's noton your sheet....its one of the basic moves from that sheet. When I say Defy Danger-Dex that means that I want you to Defy Danger using your Dex mod (2d6+2).
Defy Danger When you act despite an imminent threat or suffer a calamity, say how you deal with it and roll. If you do it… •  …by powering through, +Str •  …by getting out of the way or acting fast, +Dex •  …by enduring, +Con •  …with quick thinking, +Int •  …through mental fortitude, +Wis •  …using charm and social grace, +Cha On a 10+, you do what you set out to, the threat doesn’t come to bear. On a 7–9, you stumble, hesitate, or flinch: the GM will offer you a worse outcome, hard bargain, or ugly choice.
Duck and cover: 2D6+2 = [5, 4]+2 = 11
Omar dashes behind the boulder and as the orc starts to follow the ranger's panther roars. The orc turns towards the panther and Omar scrambles up the boulder and silently drops behind the orc. As the orc goes to attack the panther, you backstab it. You can choose to do 1D8 points of damage or:
roll+DEX. ✴On a 10+ choose two. ✴On a 7–9 choose one. • You don’t get into melee with them • You deal your damage+1d6 • You create an advantage, +1 forward to you or an ally acting on it • Reduce their armor by 1 until they repair it
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

TheMix wrote:
Scoop20906 wrote:
TheMix wrote:
I believe so. Keeping you in check was a full time job!
Yes, it was you Scoop. And yes, you kept Mix quite busy. :p
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

If we are up to this point in time, I take another shot at the crossbow wielding orcs.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Well waiting for Moliere to deal with the last axe orc. Then want to let Madmarcus kill the last crossbow orc with a rockslide (or all of you if he rolls under 7 >:)
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

"roll+DEX"
What does this mean? 1d6 + 2 or 16? Sorry, I don't know all these notations and shorthand.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Moliere wrote:"roll+DEX"
What does this mean? 1d6 + 2 or 16? Sorry, I don't know all these notations and shorthand.
Roll+Dex will always mean roll 2d6+Dex modifier which means 2d6+2 for you. Other than your damage dice you will always roll 2d6 plus an appropriate modifiers to do something
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

backstab: 2D6+2 = [2, 2]+2 = 6
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Moliere wrote:backstab: 2D6+2 = [2, 2]+2 = 6
Just so that we're clear...you didn't have to roll...you could just choose to do damage to the orc (the 3hp orc that already has taken 2 points of damage). Your choice is do 1D8 points of damage or roll and do other things. That roll will give you 1xp and kill the orc but it will also allow me to take a hard GM move. I know that you're new to the system so just wanted to make sure that you understood that you didn't have to roll
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

BTW I added the Dungeon World Guide to the drive folder. It is a fan document that covers how the game works
Might be worth reading if you want more info on how it's supposed to work
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

IceBear wrote:
Just so that we're clear...you didn't have to roll...you could just choose to do damage to the orc (the 3hp orc that already has taken 2 points of damage). Your choice is do 1D8 points of damage or roll and do other things. That roll will give you 1xp and kill the orc but it will also allow me to take a hard GM move. I know that you're new to the system so just wanted to make sure that you understood that you didn't have to roll
I knew it was optional. I was hoping to get an extra move.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Ok, students left for the night. Robot isn't done but orcs need killing.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Moliere wrote:
IceBear wrote:
I knew it was optional. I was hoping to get an extra move.
Ok....just wanted to be sure.
Omar slips up behind the orc and drives a dagger into its spine. As it falls to its death Omar notices a white raven sitting on a boulder fifty feet away. Its eyes flash a golden color and suddenly Omar finds himself high on a rock pedestal above a sea of roiling lava. A booming voice echoes, "Thief! You have something of mine!"
Those of you nearby see Omar stab the orc and then go rigid, his eyes twirling in their sockets
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Ere pushes some boulders down towards the orcs

Defy Danger+STR for the rockslide: 2D6+2 = [1, 6]+2 = 9

Hmm, success but ...

While I hate waiting I want to let IceBear have a chance to give the consequence or choice before doing much more.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Madmarcus wrote:Ere pushes some boulders down towards the orcs

Defy Danger+STR for the rockslide: 2D6+2 = [1, 6]+2 = 9

Hmm, success but ...

While I hate waiting I want to let IceBear have a chance to give the consequence or choice before doing much more.
You underestimated the amount of muscle needed to get the rocks moving. You let out a scream and suddenly the rocks tumble down and crush the last crossbow wielding orc (narrowly missing the Dwarven Cleric). However in doing do you felt some muscles in your shoulders tear and are now Weak (-1 to STR) until you get a few days rest or magical healing.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Seeing the orc crushed by the rocks Eye starts moving down towards the others calling out a greeting. As he approached be stops to check on one of the orbs before announcing to no one (or everyone) that these seem to be the same tribe as the orcs he was looking for. "Not the leader though which is a shame."
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

How many orcs are left? (I hope you don't mind if the audience asks questions)

Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

That should have been the last orc.

Dar looks around to confirm there are no further immediate threats (other than whatever is happening to the Halfling), returns Ere's greeting and (assuming we can see the cleric and hunter), move forward to check out all the newcomers. I direct Shadow to come forward stealthily (just cause they wanted to kill orcs does not mean these new people don't want to kill us - not making any overtly aggressive moves, but a cautiously friendly approach). In addition to checking them out/watching them, checking to verify no one is significantly wounded.

I suggest to Zoldan that checking Omar out might be more his thing (looks more like a mental, possibly magical issue that he went to la-la land, not my thing).
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Yes, that was the last of them and none of them are still living. The bitterly cold wind continues and you'll need to find shelter soon or start taking exposure damage.

Also waiting for Omar's response to his predicament.

Ere, you see a Kobold slip out from behind a boulder and try to play an uplifting song on his pipe before giving up as he is shivering too much

You guys can roleplaying your meeting and interactions as you wish....though helping Omar might be worth doing :)
bb2112
End of Days
Location: Knowledge! It is almost as important as money, luck, and family connections.

Post by bb2112 »

I rush over to Omar. "No, my guide!" I exclaim. "This is most unfortunate." I examine Omar and try to determine if I can figure out what is wrong with him. "You can't die yet, you are still useful to me."

Try to determine what is wrong with Omar: 2D6 = [3, 2] = 5

Seeing as I probably have no clue, I turn to the others starting to gather around, "Help! Help, quickly! This oderous Halfling is in dire need!"
That's no reason to cry. One cries because one is sad. For example, I cry because others are stupid, and that makes me sad.
Why would I stab an Oracle? Wait, what am I saying? Why wouldn't I stab an Oracle? - Belkar Bitterleaf
BCY4920 - You can suck it Johnny Angel.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Ere motions for the kobold to join the group before addressing the hunter and ranger, "Do either of you know this area well. We need some shelter fast." When he waves around to indicate the area you can tell that his shoulder bothers hiim.

[for the most part assume that Ere is friendly enough and willing to help but today is the day that I'm not going to be able to do much. I'll be reading but only sporadic and short replies at best]
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

bb2112 wrote:I rush over to Omar. "No, my guide!" I exclaim. "This is most unfortunate." I examine Omar and try to determine if I can figure out what is wrong with him. "You can't die yet, you are still useful to me."

Seeing as I probably have no clue, I turn to the others starting to gather around, "Help! Help, quickly! This oderous Halfling is in dire need!"
Didn't ask for a roll yet so I am going to ignore it for now. There are two moves - Discern Realities and Spout Lore that might be useful here. Basically tell me what exactly you are doing and hoping to achieve. In this specific case, how exactly are you examining him (physically you can't see anything wrong) Remember, you have a lot of leeway until things start to get set into the fiction of our story. There is no real details on where you get your powers so if you want to spin a tale that your blood gives you limited magical senses and that you are using them to sense what's wrong with Omar then that might trigger Discern Realities. If you want to just play your dragon mage as a bull in a china shop and say that you're just going to shake Omar and shout at him and that your voice contains the magic of dragons maybe that would be an Aid roll for Omar. Once you establish something as being true then from then on it will be true, but until then feel free to BS as much as you want when describing what you want to do. If you go too far I will tell you
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Rurgosh turns back towards his traveling companion and the mountain lion. slapping his warhammer into his palm to make noise he advancing towards the lion hoping to scare it away.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Remus West wrote:Rurgosh turns back towards his traveling companion and the mountain lion. slapping his warhammer into his palm to make noise he advancing towards the lion hoping to scare it away.
:oops:

That's what happens when I wake up at 4am and post - completely forgot about the mountain lion. The good news is, Ere's rockslide scared the thing away so there's no imediate danger besides whatever happened to Omar and the cold wind.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Assuming introductions eventually conclude without incident and nobody is significantly injured other than Ere's shoulder...

Dar gives Ere's shoulder a quick check... "I think you have pulled a muscle. A few days rest and you should be OK. Perhaps one of these other newcomers has some means of providing more immediate relief?".

Examine the orcs (and loot their corpses).

Assuming no one knows the area and cannot guide us to shelter...

Dar announces, "Shadows and I will search for the orcs trail and follow it a little ways to get the general direction they came from and look for shelter someplace NOT in that general direction."
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Zenn7 wrote:Assuming introductions eventually conclude without incident and nobody is significantly injured other than Ere's shoulder...

Dar gives Ere's shoulder a quick check... "I think you have pulled a muscle. A few days rest and you should be OK. Perhaps one of these other newcomers has some means of providing more immediate relief?".

Examine the orcs (and loot their corpses).

Assuming no one knows the area and cannot guide us to shelter...

Dar announces, "Shadows and I will search for the orcs trail and follow it a little ways to get the general direction they came from and look for shelter someplace NOT in that general direction."
Sure, I'd still like some roleplay between characters as some of them have connections.

I have updated the first post with hitpoint totals and xp. Zordan took a nasty axe hit (think he lost a third of his hitpoints).

The orcs came from behind you so you'd be doubling back on your trail. This legendary lake is supposedly in the direction you were headed. And honestly, if you don't find shelter soon you're all going to take 1d10 points of exposure damage (no armor) (well, the dwarf might take 1d4).

As for the bodies, someone make a 2d6 roll for the orcs with the crossbows. You can't get XP for a 6- nor can anything bad happen...just want to see how lucky you are. 6- then all three bodies are under a lot of rocks, 7-9 only 1 is, 10+ none of them.
bb2112
End of Days
Location: Knowledge! It is almost as important as money, luck, and family connections.

Post by bb2112 »

IceBear wrote:
bb2112 wrote:I rush over to Omar. "No, my guide!" I exclaim. "This is most unfortunate." I examine Omar and try to determine if I can figure out what is wrong with him. "You can't die yet, you are still useful to me."

Didn't ask for a roll yet so I am going to ignore it for now. There are two moves - Discern Realities and Spout Lore that might be useful here. Basically tell me what exactly you are doing and hoping to achieve. In this specific case, how exactly are you examining him (physically you can't see anything wrong) Remember, you have a lot of leeway until things start to get set into the fiction of our story. There is no real details on where you get your powers so if you want to spin a tale that your blood gives you limited magical senses and that you are using them to sense what's wrong with Omar then that might trigger Discern Realities. If you want to just play your dragon mage as a bull in a china shop and say that you're just going to shake Omar and shout at him and that your voice contains the magic of dragons maybe that would be an Aid roll for Omar. Once you establish something as being true then from then on it will be true, but until then feel free to BS as much as you want when describing what you want to do. If you go too far I will tell you
Ok, cool. After having recently used my blaze my blood sings through my body and it enhances my magical senses. I can feel if there is magic in play. I reach out to Omar to examine him, both physically and with my magical sense.
That's no reason to cry. One cries because one is sad. For example, I cry because others are stupid, and that makes me sad.
Why would I stab an Oracle? Wait, what am I saying? Why wouldn't I stab an Oracle? - Belkar Bitterleaf
bb2112
End of Days

Post by bb2112 »

Zenn7 wrote:Assuming introductions eventually conclude without incident and nobody is significantly injured other than Ere's shoulder...
Uh, Zordan took an axe wound (6 damage) and we have a comatose Halfling.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Well, with the lion taken care of......Rurgosh walks over to the group and begins to examine the Orcs for any sign they had visited his land (Discern Realities?) while greeting the group. He will collect any items they may be carrying that are made of stone.

As a side note: I envision that Rurgosh strongly expects he has been sent on an empty mission but still feels compelled to look into it just in case.

Also, how long does it take for me to commune and get to speak to the stone?

"Hello travelers. Please do not take offense but you seem ill prepared for the clime you have entered. I am Rurgosh, Cleric of Orso di Ghiaccio, my companion is Tarn."
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Known fact - after using his blaze abilities for a short time after Zordan's senses stretch into the magical.

Please roll Discern Realities
Discern Realities
When you closely study a situation or person, roll+Wis. On a 10+ ask the GM 3 questions from the list below. On a 7–9 ask 1. Take +1 forward when acting
on the answers.
• What happened here recently?
• What is about to happen?
• What should I be on the lookout for?
• What here is useful or valuable to me?
• Who’s really in control here?
• What here is not what it appears to be?
So you need to roll 2d6 (your Wis is 0) and depending on your roll list the 3 or 1 questions you want me to answer
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

bb2112 wrote:
After examining the Orcs (priorities) Rurgosh will walk over to Zordan and heal him.

"Hold still for a moment"
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Remus West wrote:Well, with the lion taken care of......Rurgosh walks over to the group and begins to examine the Orcs for any sign they had visited his land (Discern Realities?) while greeting the group. He will collect any items they may be carrying that are made of stone.

As a side note: I envision that Rurgosh strongly expects he has been sent on an empty mission but still feels compelled to look into it just in case.

Also, how long does it take for me to commune and get to speak to the stone?

"Hello travelers. Please do not take offense but you seem ill prepared for the clime you have entered. I am Rurgosh, Cleric of Orso di Ghiaccio, my companion is Tarn."
GM Note: It's not so much that they are unprepared as it is that thus wind is extra specially cold....maybe something to do with the weather causing the human decline?

I assume that you commune with your god every morning and get all your spells then. You automatically get all your rotes (level 0) but you need to pick your level 1 spells (Cure Light Wounds and Sanctuary from what I remember ) so you have Speak with Stone.

After spending several minutes studying the orcs and their belongings please make a Discern Realities roll (see my response to bb2112 for details)
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Remus West wrote:
bb2112 wrote:
After examining the Orcs (priorities) Rurgosh will walk over to Zordan and heal him.

"Hold still for a moment"

Use your Cast Spell move
Cast a Spell When you unleash a spell granted to you by your deity, roll+Wis. ✴On a 10+, the spell is successfully cast and your deity does not revoke the spell, so you may cast it again. ✴On a 7–9, the spell is cast, but choose one: •  You draw unwelcome attention or put yourself in a spot. The GM will tell you how. •  Your casting distances you from your deity—take -1 ongoing to cast a spell until the next time you commune. •  After you cast it, the spell is revoked by your deity. You cannot cast the spell again until you commune and have it granted to you. Note that maintaining spells with ongoing effects will sometimes cause a penalty to your roll to cast a spell.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Am I unconscious or in some kind of coma? I don't understand what my options are.
bb2112
End of Days

Post by bb2112 »

IceBear wrote:Known fact - after using his blaze abilities for a short time after Zordan's senses stretch into the magical.

Please roll Discern Realities
Discern Realities
When you closely study a situation or person, roll+Wis. On a 10+ ask the GM 3 questions from the list below. On a 7–9 ask 1. Take +1 forward when acting
on the answers.
• What happened here recently?
• What is about to happen?
• What should I be on the lookout for?
• What here is useful or valuable to me?
• Who’s really in control here?
• What here is not what it appears to be?
So you need to roll 2d6 (your Wis is 0) and depending on your roll list the 3 or 1 questions you want me to answer
Discern Realities on the smelly Halfling: 2D6 = [2, 1] = 3
Nope. Not good at this at all. Lol.

Btw, my Kobold is searching the Orcs for anything valuable. Even if it is not money, he is bringing over weapons, crossbows, bolts, boots, whatever may sell even for a few coppers. He is stacking it up in a pile next to me. He does not get in the dwarf's way of searching for stone. Kobolds have a very healthy respect for Dwarves. Although not natural enemies, typically they are not friends either. He will refer to Rorgosh as sir at all times.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Having determined that the orcs came from behind us and ahead is the way to go, I will not pursue their trail any further.

I am aware of Omar's situation, I deferred that to the Dragon-mage (beyond my comprehension). As Rurgosh will heal Zordan, there does not appear to be anything left to do in the way of recovery.

"I am Dar, woodlands protector, and this is my brother Shadow (indicating the black panther in the shadows). The dazed Halfling is Omar and the hooded creature you are healing is Zordan. It is said that the twin moons will shed light on a hidden lake just beyond this pass. We seek this lake. What brings you to this area?"

After Rurgosh heals Zordan, I ask him about his deity as I have not heard of this deity and seek to find out more about his domain. Briefly though, as we need to find shelter. After the introductions are made and before things can get too deep, I seek shelter, looking forward from our current position. Shadowstalker comes with me. I will lead the party to whatever shelter I find.

(Assuming the others came from behind, not ahead of us).

Sorry to sort of rush my part, assuming the others will fill in their parts and probably RP a bit more, but I have to leave for work now and won't be able to post again until after work.