Dungeon World Campaign #2

This is the place for self-contained forum games

Moderator: Zaxxon

IceBear

Dungeon World Campaign #2

Post by IceBear »

This is going to be the active thread for the running of the game while the other thread will be for character creation and discussion.

All character sheets and the general move sheet will be stored in a Google Drive folder here

Please double check that you can access your sheet and the one called DW_Sheets as that should contain the generic playbooks and all the common moves between the different classes. You should be able to download your character sheet, update it locally using Adobe Reader, and then drag and drop the updated version to the shared folder from your PC to your browser. I'd appreciate if you did that as it keeps my book keeping to a dull roar :)

Some more useful stuff:
Dungeon World SRD

Dice Rolling

Online Roller

For the name you'll put in your character's name. The number of rolls will typically be 1 unless I tell you otherwise. In the roll field you'll typically put 2d6+mod. In the notes field you'll put something down like the name of your move so we all know what it was for. You then hit roll and paste the code into the forum (section under To link on forums supporting bbcodes use:). For example, picking TheMix's hunter who is shooting some arrows at an orc. That is called a Volley move so that's 2D6+DEX and Tarn's DEX is +1. With that info I got to the roller and:

Volley at closest orc: 2D6+1 = [4, 2]+1 = 7

I will be spot checking the rolls to make sure you didn't just roll 3 or 4 times until you got what you wanted but I will assume that we're all honorable people :)

CHARACTERS
Zenn7 is playing Dar the Human Ranger/Cleric who is Level 2 with 5xp and 21/21 hitpoints
Madmarcus is playing Ere the Human axe Fighter/Masked Mage who is Level 2 with 7xp and 21/23 hitpoints
Moliere is playing Omar the Halfling Thief who is Level 1 with 5xp and 18/19 hitpoints
Remus West is playing Rurgosh the Dwarven Cleric who is Level 1 with 4 xp and 17/22 hitpoints
TheMix is playing Tarn the Human Hunter who is Level 1 with 7xp and 21/21 hitpoints
bb2112 is playing Zordan the Dragonborn Dragon Mage who is Level 2 with 7xp and 10/18 hitpoints
Last edited by IceBear on Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:23 pm, edited 96 times in total.
TheMix

Re: Dungeon World Campaign #2

Post by TheMix »

I am unable to upload changes. I tried in both Chrome and IE. IE does nothing. Chrome simply opens the document in a tab; it does not upload the changes. I see no option for allowing uploads.

The blank sheet had the level set to 0, so that's what mine is on my sheet. I was going to update it to 1.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

IceBear

Post by IceBear »

TheMix wrote:I am unable to upload changes. I tried in both Chrome and IE. IE does nothing. Chrome simply opens the document in a tab; it does not upload the changes. I see no option for allowing uploads.

The blank sheet had the level set to 0, so that's what mine is on my sheet. I was going to update it to 1.
Hmmm....not sure there. I get the same issue with Dropbox but dragging and dropping in Google Drive works. Madmarcus, you uploaded yours without trouble, what did you do?

BTW this is the help file from Google
https://support.google.com/drive/answer/2424368?hl=en

Yeah....New...File Upload should work (It's how I have to upload pdfs on dropbox)
Last edited by IceBear on Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

You failed (but the roller worked well)
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Yeah Madmarcus - I wasted an XP roll! (Thankfully, I have confidence I will get many more - wonder if I can trigger a TPK before the first planned encounter... :p ).

I was unable to upload a file either. Do I need a google docs sign in first?
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

I dunno. I figured that if I shared the drive folder and gave everyone edit permission you'd be able to upload to it. Madmarcus what did you do?

Edit: oh, try again. I just noticed that the link was labeled sharing instead of edit
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

So, I looked at their help:
2. On the left, click New.
My view has/had no menus on the left.

So I tried removing everything except https://drive.google.com/drive/. This brings me to https://drive.google.com/drive/my-drive. Now I have a menu on the left. And I have a folder owned by IB called PCs and Player Docs. I opened that folder and was able to see the files (and keep my menu!). Now I'm able to add files to the folder.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

IceBear wrote:Edit: oh, try again. I just noticed that the link was labeled sharing instead of edit
Of course, this may have had more to do with my success than the rest. :)

Black Lives Matter

IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Thanks Mix. Didn't realize it was going to be such an issue. If anyone can't get it to work (sounds like you might need your own drive account by The Mix's experience) then let me know and I'll do the updates for you. It's just most of the time I will be posting from my phone so it can be a PITA
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Yep, tried to drag it there again, came up with a sign in option. Looks like you need an account.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Zenn7 wrote:Yep, tried to drag it there again, came up with a sign in option. Looks like you need an account.
Yeah....I know it's free to do so and you can get a fair bit of space for free (think I have 16GB now) but if you don't want to, I understand
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

I was logged into my drive account. It acted like any other folder I have.

BTW, Monday and Tuesday (especially Tues.) will be rough for me. I'll be able to respond around lunch but after work gets out its robot time. Hopefully I'll be able to sneak a few minutes away to keep up since I know most of you guys have much more time during the work day to slip in a response or two.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Madmarcus wrote:I was logged into my drive account. It acted like any other folder I have.
Yeah...that's what I am now realizing. Was thinking / hoping that you didn't need a drive account....oh well
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Madmarcus wrote:BTW, Monday and Tuesday (especially Tues.) will be rough for me. I'll be able to respond around lunch but after work gets out its robot time. Hopefully I'll be able to sneak a few minutes away to keep up since I know most of you guys have much more time during the work day to slip in a response or two.
Yeah I am planning on making an actual post starring the game sometime tomorrow morning. Was hoping to get some feedback from Moliere on the questions I've asked twice and bb2112's bonds (not so important) first but if not it'll start tomorrow. It might be busy for me this week too so no worries if you're slow in posting
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

IceBear wrote:
Madmarcus wrote:BTW, Monday and Tuesday (especially Tues.) will be rough for me. I'll be able to respond around lunch but after work gets out its robot time. Hopefully I'll be able to sneak a few minutes away to keep up since I know most of you guys have much more time during the work day to slip in a response or two.
Yeah I am planning on making an actual post starring the game sometime tomorrow morning. Was hoping to get some feedback from Moliere on the questions I've asked twice and bb2112's bonds (not so important) first but if not it'll start tomorrow. It might be busy for me this week too so no worries if you're slow in posting
I sent you an email with my answers. Should I PM them or did you need something else?
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

I got the first set of answers but never got the answers to the second (maybe the email monster ate it)
I will ask some questions about Zigana Pass. You have heard a legend about this pass. What is it? There is a tribe of orcs living in the mountains. What are they called and what do they hate halflings more than any other race?
Those answers should be common knowledge so just respond here
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

I will ask some questions about Zigana Pass. You have heard a legend about this pass. What is it?
The legend tells of a young boy who survived a raid on his village. A she-wolf finds the injured child and nurses him back to health. He subsequently impregnates the wolf which then gives birth to ten half-wolf, half-halfling boys. One of these, Ashina, becomes their leader and establishes the Ashina clan which ruled the Zigana Pass for two centuries.
There is a tribe of orcs living in the mountains. What are they called and what do they hate halflings more than any other race?
The wolf, pregnant with the boy's offspring, escaped her enemies by crossing the Western Sea and into Zigana Pass near the Qocho mountains. In doing so, Ashina displaced the local tribe of orcs known as the Tocharians.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

That's much better than "because halflings are delicious" that I was going to go with :p
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

IceBear wrote:That's much better than "because halflings are delicious" that I was going to go with :p
It's mostly plagiarized. :ninja:
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

IceBear wrote:That's much better than "because halflings are delicious" that I was going to go with :p
:lol:

Black Lives Matter

IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Chapter 1 - Start

The icy winds howl through the boulder strewn Zigana Pass as Zordan, Omar and Dar plod across the frozen terrain. Shadow slinks silently beside Dar while Korval shivers miserably in the freezing wind having given up talking and playing on his pipe hours ago. Luckily, this close to the human lands there is little moisture so there's no snow, but the wind is getting colder and finding shelter would be prudent. However, just as you start to look about for a place to rest out of the wind, several crossbow bolts land nearby. Looking back, you can see a group of orcs snarling at you. They are dressed heavily in wolf pelts - a sure sign of the Tocharian clan - and howl in rage at Omar. Four of them rush forward with crude axes while three more wind their crossbows for another shot.

Rurgosh and Tarn, you likewise are freezing in the icy winds (well, to Rurgosh it feels more like an early spring breeze) when you crest a ridge and see a group of orcs attacking a dragonborn, halfling, human and kobold

And since madmarcus said he'd be late responding today....

Off in the distance, Ere can hear the sounds of battle despite the howling winds of Zigana Pass

A couple of notes. Please describe your actions to me rather than just name your move. I know just naming your move and rolling the dice might speed things up, but this game plays with the narrative first and rules second so how you describe something is more important than the name of the move. If you think you know what move is being triggered you can add its roll after your description but I may say that you need to make a second roll first. For example, in this situation if someone says that they are charging the crossbow orcs in an attempt to melee with them, that would be a hack and slash, but since they are fairly far away the fiction dictates that the orcs would shoot that person first and deal damage before they got to attack them. If the person said that they are dodging between boulders on their way to the orcs and then attack them that would grant them a Defy Danger - Dex roll first to avoid being hit by the crossbows and then they get to hack and slash
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Never having done this before I am not sure of my options. For example, can my response be to hide behind the nearest tree and wait until they are in range of my throwing daggers?
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Moliere wrote:Never having done this before I am not sure of my options. For example, can my response be to hide behind the nearest tree and wait until they are in range of my throwing daggers?
Omar ducks behind the closest boulder. A moment later he would have been skewered by several crossbow bolts. Pulling a throwing dagger out of his belt he throws it at the closest charging orc. Please roll your volley....2d6+2 I believe
bb2112
End of Days
Location: Knowledge! It is almost as important as money, luck, and family connections.

Post by bb2112 »

I will hide behind a boulder and use Dragon's Fire (from my hands) to target the lead orc.
That's no reason to cry. One cries because one is sad. For example, I cry because others are stupid, and that makes me sad.
Why would I stab an Oracle? Wait, what am I saying? Why wouldn't I stab an Oracle? - Belkar Bitterleaf
BCY4920 - You can suck it Johnny Angel.
bb2112
End of Days
Location: Knowledge! It is almost as important as money, luck, and family connections.

Post by bb2112 »

Shooting lead orc with Dragon's Fire: 2D6+2 = [1, 3]+2 = 6

Is that right? And since it is under 7, I believe that is a fail.
That's no reason to cry. One cries because one is sad. For example, I cry because others are stupid, and that makes me sad.
Why would I stab an Oracle? Wait, what am I saying? Why wouldn't I stab an Oracle? - Belkar Bitterleaf
BCY4920 - You can suck it Johnny Angel.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

IceBear wrote:
Moliere wrote:Never having done this before I am not sure of my options. For example, can my response be to hide behind the nearest tree and wait until they are in range of my throwing daggers?
Omar ducks behind the closest boulder. A moment later he would have been skewered by several crossbow bolts. Pulling a throwing dagger out of his belt he throws it at the closest charging orc. Please roll your volley....2d6+2 I believe
Where did 2d6 come from? My sheet says Damage = d8.

Here's my roll: 2D6+2 = [6, 1]+2 = 9
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Moliere wrote:
IceBear wrote:
Where did 2d6 come from? My sheet says Damage = d8.

Here's my roll: 2D6+2 = [6, 1]+2 = 9
Whenever you successfully hurt someone, you will deal 1d8 points of damage. However, we still need to check to see if you hit first. Since you're throwing a dagger, that's the move called Volley. Besides the moves on your sheet, there's a set of common moves which are detailed on the DW_Sheets.pdf file on the common drive. The first section is called Basic Moves and Volley is in there. From the sheet:
Volley

When you take aim and shoot at an enemy at range, roll+Dex. On a 10+ you have a clear shot—deal your damage. On a 7–9, choose one (whichever you choose you deal your damage):

• You have to move to get the shot placing you in danger of the GM’s choice
• You have to take what you can get: -1d6 damage
• You have to take several shots, reducing your ammo by one.
So, whenever you see roll+STAT that means roll 2d6+STAT.

Now, you rolled a 9 so that means you will deal 1d8 points of damage (you can roll for that too) but then you have to pick one of the options above as well. It's these 2d6 rolls that makes the game move forward. Honestly, I have no real story or adventure as the premise of this game is to "play to find things out" so when you roll less than 10 I have to complicate your life in some way and it's these complications that will actually move the story forward.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Thanks for the explanation.

Moving to the side of the boulder (• You have to move to get the shot placing you in danger of the GM’s choice) Omar throws his dagger:
damage: 1D8 = [2] = 2
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

bb2112 wrote:Shooting lead orc with Dragon's Fire: 2D6+2 = [1, 3]+2 = 6

Is that right? And since it is under 7, I believe that is a fail.
You get 1xp (you learn from your mistakes) and since you rolled 6 or less I get to make a GM move. One of my moves is "Show them a drawback to their class or ability". I could have just picked deal damage and have you get hit by a crossbow but that's boring, so.....
As Zordan steps forward with a snarl on his lips,he realizes that he is stepping directly in front of a crossbow bolt. On pure reflex he burns the quarrel the quarrel out of the air, but he has heated up the air around him so much that his clothing, as well as Dar's and Omar's is now on fire.
Anyone who is on fire, tell me what you do. You're not taking damage yet but you will if you don't get that fire out quickly
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

IceBear wrote:Anyone who is on fire, tell me what you do. You're not taking damage yet but you will if you don't get that fire out quickly
Stop. Drop. Roll. After my dagger is thrown.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Moliere wrote:Thanks for the explanation.

Moving to the side of the boulder (• You have to move to get the shot placing you in danger of the GM’s choice) Omar throws his dagger:
damage: 1D8 = [2] = 2
The dagger hits the orc in the shoulder but the thick wolf pelts prevents it from causing a major wound. The orc snarls at you "Now I will add a halfling pelt to my collection!!!" and swings its axe at you.

You are on fire and have an orcish axe whistling towards your head. What do you do?
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Moliere wrote:
IceBear wrote:Anyone who is on fire, tell me what you do. You're not taking damage yet but you will if you don't get that fire out quickly
Ok....since you can incorporate that into your dodge roll Defy Danger-Dex 2d6+2
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

IceBear wrote:
Moliere wrote:
Ok....since you can incorporate that into your dodge roll Defy Danger-Dex 2d6+2
Duck!: 2D6+2 = [5, 6]+2 = 13
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Omar skillfully ducks underneath the axe and smothers the flames at the same time. He comes out of the roll with his back to a boulder protecting him from the crossbows but the orc that just attacked spins back towards him. What do you do?

Actually if you don't mind let's pause your action to await some from the others (that and I have a doctors appointment shortly)
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Hearing the sounds of orcs fighting something Ere runs towards the battle. As he gets closer he slows down and ducks behind a tree to examine the battlefield and determine who's who and what's what. Discern Reality; what should I be on the lookout for I'd guess.

Ere discerning reality: 2D6-1 = [5, 3]-1 = 7

Obviously its up to you have far away I am so how long before this become important.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

How far am I from the Orcs? I don't think I have any ranged weapons so I'll start trotting that way. I could see Orcs being the ones to attack the Children of Orso but those others are not even dressed for this weather let alone the seasons of the North.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Madmarcus wrote:Hearing the sounds of orcs fighting something Ere runs towards the battle. As he gets closer he slows down and ducks behind a tree to examine the battlefield and determine who's who and what's what. Discern Reality; what should I be on the lookout for I'd guess.

Ere discerning reality: 2D6-1 = [5, 3]-1 = 7

Obviously its up to you have far away I am so how long before this become important.

Well obviously the orcs, but you do notice several piles of rocks along the sides of the pass that look rather unstable. In fact you can see some smaller rocks tumbling down just from the orc shouts.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Remus West wrote:How far am I from the Orcs? I don't think I have any ranged weapons so I'll start trotting that way. I could see Orcs being the ones to attack the Children of Orso but those others are not even dressed for this weather let alone the seasons of the North.
You are within shouting distance of the orcs (far range in DW terms). You could run up to them but you judge the three orcs with the crossbows would get another shot in before you could get to them (the 4 with the axes are further away still) and they would probably notice you running towards them. If you take your time and move stealthily you could probably take them by surprise but they'd get several more attacks in on the others.

To meta game a bit....you're with the hunter so he's probably going to shoot at them and reveal that you guys are behind them
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Can I separate from the Hunter a little bit so when he starts shooting they see him and overlook me as I try to get closer?
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken