Dungeon World Campaign #2

This is the place for self-contained forum games

Moderator: Zaxxon

IceBear

Re: Dungeon World Campaign #2

Post by IceBear »

Ere rolled so well on knocking the pile over that you still have a lot of time so....sure
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

After we get the dwarf skeleton w/ his stuff out, do we see anything else that looks of use or value?

(I'm assuming Ere's blow eliminated my earlier Discern Realities - would I need to roll again now)?
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Are you going to stop and look or retreat back up the chute first. The 8 small rancors are starting to move faster so it won't be long now before they will be in real-time

Edit: Think you meant in the bones. You don't see anything and you are running out of time to properly study the bones for another Discern Realities
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Yes, I'd meant in the bones.

If the backpack looks solid enough, will take that up. Otherwise, see what is in it and take out anything that looks to be of value.

Also, get the boots (assuming it would take too long to haul the whole dwarf corpse up with us). Someone else might want to do that while I search the backpack.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Well as you run for the chute the skeleton starts to fall apart so you scoop up the backpack (it's holding together for now but long-term it's a goner) and the boots. The group starts climbing back up the chute.

When you get back to the room above you open the backpack and inside you find a golden eye, the right shape and size to fit the circle you have. There is also a pouch containing 200 coins (you note that they are dwarven in origin but at least 500 years old) and 2 potions of red color
bb2112
End of Days
Location: Knowledge! It is almost as important as money, luck, and family connections.

Post by bb2112 »

IceBear wrote:Well as you run for the chute the skeleton starts to fall apart so you scoop up the backpack (it's holding together for now but long-term it's a goner) and the boots. The group starts climbing back up the chute.

When you get back to the room above you open the backpack and inside you find a golden eye, the right shape and size to fit the circle you have. There is also a pouch containing 200 coins (you note that they are dwarven in origin but at least 500 years old) and 2 potions of red color
Interesting. A golden eye, not a blue one. Is it the same size and dimension that would fit into the staff and brackets?
That's no reason to cry. One cries because one is sad. For example, I cry because others are stupid, and that makes me sad.
Why would I stab an Oracle? Wait, what am I saying? Why wouldn't I stab an Oracle? - Belkar Bitterleaf
BCY4920 - You can suck it Johnny Angel.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Do we have an actual mage that could tell us what the boots do?
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
bb2112
End of Days
Location: Knowledge! It is almost as important as money, luck, and family connections.

Post by bb2112 »

Remus West wrote:Do we have an actual mage that could tell us what the boots do?
They fit a dwarf. Just try them on.
That's no reason to cry. One cries because one is sad. For example, I cry because others are stupid, and that makes me sad.
Why would I stab an Oracle? Wait, what am I saying? Why wouldn't I stab an Oracle? - Belkar Bitterleaf
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

bb2112 wrote:
Remus West wrote:Do we have an actual mage that could tell us what the boots do?
I was thinking about it. I figure thats a better plan than you lighting them on fire. :P
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Remus West wrote:
bb2112 wrote:
I was thinking about it. I figure thats a better plan than you lighting them on fire. :P
Go for it, what's the worst that could happen? (This world have Dwarven Boots of Everdancing or whatever you call the shoes that make you dance non-stop? :) )

EDIT: Dwarf coins? Are these spendable like regular coins? Possibly collector value? 200 worthless trinkets?
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Let's put the golden eye in the thing, put it all together. See if it looks right.

Then, think we are ready to go back to the door with the dwarf holding the assembled thing, see if he can get through the barrier so we can go in there.
bb2112
End of Days

Post by bb2112 »

Remus West wrote:
bb2112 wrote:
There is no better plan than lighting things on fire. Ever. It is the party's go to move.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Rurgosh will examine the boots. Check to see if there is an artisan's mark to tell him who made them, etc.

Also, Lets start back towards that forcefield thing and see if this will get us through.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

"Let's go" As Ere leaves the room with the six armed stature he shrugs a little.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

bb2112 wrote:
IceBear wrote:Well as you run for the chute the skeleton starts to fall apart so you scoop up the backpack (it's holding together for now but long-term it's a goner) and the boots. The group starts climbing back up the chute.

Interesting. A golden eye, not a blue one. Is it the same size and dimension that would fit into the staff and brackets?
I may have messed up there. Did I say the eye in the mural was blue? If so, then it's blue :)

There was never a staff, just a stone circle.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Zenn7 wrote:
Remus West wrote:
bb2112 wrote:
Go for it, what's the worst that could happen? (This world have Dwarven Boots of Everdancing or whatever you call the shoes that make you dance non-stop? :) )

EDIT: Dwarf coins? Are these spendable like regular coins? Possibly collector value? 200 worthless trinkets?
Ok, I've been dropping hints that you aren't on your home planet anymore so all I meant by them being dwarven coins is that you recognize them as coins used in the dwarven kingdoms on your world. These just have the markings placing them several hundred years old. They are worth 200 coins, but possibly much more to a collector....if you can find one.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Zenn7 wrote:Let's put the golden eye in the thing, put it all together. See if it looks right.

Then, think we are ready to go back to the door with the dwarf holding the assembled thing, see if he can get through the barrier so we can go in there.
it does all fit together.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Remus West wrote:Rurgosh will examine the boots. Check to see if there is an artisan's mark to tell him who made them, etc.

Also, Lets start back towards that forcefield thing and see if this will get us through.
You can make a Spout Lore.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Madmarcus wrote:"Let's go" As Ere leaves the room with the six armed stature he shrugs a little.
Oops... forgot about that thing. Maybe we should figure this out first. Might be useful/important. Especially since we still have our giant friend waiting up top.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

IceBear wrote:
Remus West wrote:Rurgosh will examine the boots. Check to see if there is an artisan's mark to tell him who made them, etc.

Spout Lore regarding Dwarven Boots: 2D6+1 = [6, 6]+1 = 13
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I have no idea what I do with that roll. I'm assuming it means I know a LOT regarding the maker of the boots and maybe even the boots themselves are legendary in Dwarven culture.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Zenn7 wrote:
Madmarcus wrote:"Let's go" As Ere leaves the room with the six armed stature he shrugs a little.
Oops... forgot about that thing. Maybe we should figure this out first. Might be useful/important. Especially since we still have our giant friend waiting up top.
Oooh, forgot about that guy. Yep. Lets examine the statue a bit more I guess.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Remus West wrote:
IceBear wrote:

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I have no idea what I do with that roll. I'm assuming it means I know a LOT regarding the maker of the boots and maybe even the boots themselves are legendary in Dwarven culture.
I think you are right, now you tell us what you know about them. Who made them, why he/she is famous, why the boots are famous, etc. You don't make up the boots abilities, just the reason you know about them and the backstory. :)
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Remus West wrote:
IceBear wrote:

As you look at the boots, you see a glyph on the bottoms. You recognize it as the mark of The Order of the Unrelenting Stone - a proud arm of the dwarven intelligence organization tasked with collecting artifacts belonging to the enemies of the dwarven kingdoms. You hear that they are issued boots that let them walk on anything - water, walls, ceiling, etc. You also suspect that the statue was a puzzle leading to the resting place of the eye that the Order agent stole, before falling to the trap and being eaten by the rancor.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Rurgosh will put the boots on. "These should be helpful. I doubt we need to worry about the puzzle though. These boots belong to Dwarven agents. The puzzle was likely already solved by our deceased friend as that would explain why he had the center piece of the eye. We should make haste to return to the entrance."
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Omar silently follows the group back up the chute so he can get a closer look at the statue. Maybe it's not so bad after all. He begins inspecting the hands to see if they're holding anything.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
bb2112
End of Days

Post by bb2112 »

Zordan grabs the swords in front of the statue. "Quick, grab this stuff. I can turn it into coins later." He then looks at the statue and announces to the rest of the group, "You know, I can always light the statue on fire. Maybe it will burn up before Omar can bring it to life and it tries to kill us."
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Moliere wrote:Omar silently follows the group back up the chute so he can get a closer look at the statue. Maybe it's not so bad after all. He begins inspecting the hands to see if they're holding anything.
They aren't holding anything but the scimitars on the table look like they would fit into each hand. On the back of each hand you do notice a glyph that you don't understand.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

"Who wants to read the glyphs before we put the swords in each hand and bring it to life? What could go wrong giving a 6 armed statues a bunch of swords to hold?"
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Rurgosh will examine the glyphs Omar points out to see if they are Dwarven in origin. Depending on what he reads there he will examine the swords as well.
"Hmmm....I guess we have time to do a quick try at this. The order would only have taken their goal and nothing else so even recovering the eye he would have left anything else of value behind."
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

To speed this along, Rurgosh looks at the glyphs and notes that they are Dwarven and indicate different materials...one per different scimitar on the table. When he puts the corresponding scimitar in each hand, a passage opens revealing a small room with an empty pedestal...where you assume the eye was. There doesn't appear to be anything else of value in the room.

BTW - since you have to travel through the jungle, and then a maze I can't just handwave that you are back at the other room.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

IceBear wrote:To speed this along, Rurgosh looks at the glyphs and notes that they are Dwarven and indicate different materials...one per different scimitar on the table. When he puts the corresponding scimitar in each hand, a passage opens revealing a small room with an empty pedestal...where you assume the eye was. There doesn't appear to be anything else of value in the room.

BTW - since you have to travel through the jungle, and then a maze I can't just handwave that you are back at the other room.
"So, there you have it. Open little room with nothing else of value. Sad but lets get going. And keep an eye out for a non-stone 6 armed beast. I'd rather not fight against one of these things unless need be."
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Basically, to pull open the curtain a little, originally the McGuffin was in that room, but some poor rolls later and a Discern Realities and it became stolen and in the rancor pit.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Dar grabs a scimitar for Zordan to melt later (don't think I can carry more than 1 w/o weight issues). "I'm ready, let's head back and see if Rurgosh can use this thing to get us through that barrier."
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Your long weekend should be over so...

The group climbs back up the stairs and cautiously exits the shrine. There is no sign of the giant ape, but there are about a dozen of the insectoid humanoids gathered at the edge of the clearing about 20 yards away. You notice that their exoskeletons have a bluer shade than the ones that you met before. When they see you they raise their arms which hold those triangular throwing weapons while one of them signs for you to take off your packs and step away
Last edited by IceBear on Tue May 31, 2016 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
bb2112
End of Days

Post by bb2112 »

Zordan holds up his hands in front of him and steps ever so slightly out of line so he can shoot his fire at the bug people without hitting the party if need be. He then turns to the axe wielding human expectantly since he so beautifully handled the last encounter.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Ere looks at Zordan, "I liked passing the others without a fight but I don't think these guys would like us taking something from their temple. I wonder if they are jumpy?" He then starts muttering under his breath for a few moments and then looks to the Dar and Rurgosh, "Run or fight? Be ready for a loud bang either way."

[The plan is that Ere wants to create a loud boom like thunder right behind them, maybe even make them feel the tingle of nearby lightning but he's not going to attempt to make the illusion until seeing which the others want to do]
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

BTW, I meant to say that I can away from the keyboard most of the weekend. Thanks for waiting.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Madmarcus wrote:Ere looks at Zordan, "I liked passing the others without a fight but I don't think these guys would like us taking something from their temple. I wonder if they are jumpy?" He then starts muttering under his breath for a few moments and then looks to the Dar and Rurgosh, "Run or fight? Be ready for a loud bang either way."

[The plan is that Ere wants to create a loud boom like thunder right behind them, maybe even make them feel the tingle of nearby lightning but he's not going to attempt to make the illusion until seeing which the others want to do]
Rurgosh starts muttering a prayer to Orso (and casting magic weapon).

"Either way but I'm not particularly good with defense against ranged weapons."
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Madmarcus wrote:BTW, I meant to say that I can away from the keyboard most of the weekend. Thanks for waiting.
Clearly I'm still in vacation mode - that makes no sense.
bb2112
End of Days

Post by bb2112 »

"You know we are over a day and half walk back and if we decide to fight, we are probably going to be harried the whole way. Not to mention they look like they could move faster than us. I'm not seeing a real good outcome here no matter what we do, but I thought I might mention the obvious..."

OOC:

IB, did we see any carvings or pictures like we did on our world of a Dwarf holding up the Eye in or on the temple in this world? If so, I wonder if Rurgosh might be our ticket out of this mess.