Secret Hitler II - The Revenge of Hitler - Game On

This is the place for self-contained forum games

Moderator: Zaxxon

El Guapo

Re: Secret Hitler II - The Revenge of Hitler - Game On

Post by El Guapo »

stessier wrote:
Remus West wrote:
Vorret wrote:You know I'm somewhat surprised people sort of believed me, they shot both Remus and El Guapo all based on my initial scan and RMC's scan. Especially since I kept enacting F policies.

In a way, we got very lucky that I was actually a Liberal.
Yeah, that was a bit frustrating as all of the odds suggested you were lying as did the outcomes of your actions. In fact, I have a PM from someone who shall remain nameless but whose name rhymes with Tarazhud ( :P ) saying he believed me and that I got robbed. :twisted:

Really spent most of the game wishing that El Guapo had not passed that second F policy as we needed dissenting scan "results" to make things less clear. His F policy choice made it he and I against V and R rather than the big mess that may have occurred had someone else "scanned" vorret and claimed him Fascist. If that happens then RMC doesn't know where to stand given that he was passed FF. Or, if someone else "scans" vorret and claims to have found him Liberal - that someone else being a Fascist.

Both games both scans were conducted by Liberals. I think folks underestimated the power of those scans and claims based off of them.
Yeah, totally.

It also stinks to be at the end of the list. There's really not much chance of getting to play. The game would be a lot different if Fascists were 2 or 3 of the first 4 slots.
Yeah, the list order worked hard against the fascists IMO. All the 75% of the fascists were clumped together towards the end, and the one fascist who was early in the presidential order (Remus) got fluke-scanned on the first turn, so his administration was skipped. So when RMC passed me FL, I really didn't *want* to enact a fascist policy, but we were at 1-1 at the time with two liberal presidents coming up (Scoop & Moliere). There being no reason to skip either, if I enacted a liberal policy, either the Scoop or Moliere administrations would result in at least one fascist policy (either by nominating a fascist chancellor or drawing FFF), in which case the liberals would still control the second scan but with one more liberal policy in place, OR we would get two liberal policies, a bigger 'trusted' liberal network, and (most importantly) be down 4-1 in policies.

That seemed utterly unworkable, so I gritted my teeth and enacted a fascist policy. FWIW I thought my story (that I was a perfect patsy for a fascist RMC because I lied and enacted a fascist policy as chancellor last game) was a pretty good one, as it had the virtue of being true (aside from RMC being fascist).

I'm also interested in Hitler play. Last game Vorret was good but waited too long to make his heel turn, this game stessier was also good but was too aggressive too early, which tanked his chances of getting elected chancellor. Gotta be tough to find the perfect middle.
Black Lives Matter.
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

Remus West wrote:
stessier wrote:I'm guessing the Fascists were Remus, El Guapo, Chaos and Hitler?
Yeah, we were your team :ninja:
Ah-- so
F {Chaos, Remus, El Guapo}
H {stessier}
?
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Grundbegriff wrote:
Remus West wrote:
stessier wrote:I'm guessing the Fascists were Remus, El Guapo, Chaos and Hitler?
Ah-- so
H {stessier}
?
Yup.

And damn you for pointing out that Remus was the totally logical first scan choice. I was like "ok, there's no reason to pick anyone in particular as the scan target here, so what's a rational objective scan choice. Obviously it would be the next president in order, so who's that... DAMMIT!" I was like, "nobody point that out, nobody point that out...DAMMIT!"
Black Lives Matter.
Vorret

Post by Vorret »

El Guapo wrote:
Grundbegriff wrote:
Remus West wrote:
Ah-- so
H {stessier}
?
Yup.

And damn you for pointing out that Remus was the totally logical first scan choice. I was like "ok, there's no reason to pick anyone in particular as the scan target here, so what's a rational objective scan choice. Obviously it would be the next president in order, so who's that... DAMMIT!" I was like, "nobody point that out, nobody point that out...DAMMIT!"

Hahaha, Remus is always a good scan :wub:
Isgrimnur wrote:
His name makes me think of a small, burrowing rodent anyway.
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

My brother from another Vaterland.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

How is RW always evil and Grundbegriff always good? It defies the odds.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

Here's my PM to bb2112 from 09 March, in which I spill my guts.
Grundbegriff wrote:
Grundbegriff wrote:If forced to do a complete assignment, I'd lay it out this way:

1. Moliere
2. El Guapo
3. Chaosraven (or Hitler?)
4. stessier
5. Grundbegriff
6. Vorret
7. Remus West
8. Holman (or Hitler?)
9. RMC
10. Scoop20906

Subject to change, a lot, if contrary info comes in.
Revised:

1. Moliere
2. El Guapo
3. Chaosraven (Hitler?)
4. stessier
5. Grundbegriff
6. Vorret
7. Remus West
8. Holman (Hitler?)
9. RMC
10. Scoop20906

At this point, I'm thinking: Remus West, El Guapo, Chaosraven, and... Holman?

I have to suppose, with the way things have played out, that RMC really is a Liberal. I do not believe that Chaosraven really drew FFF when I was his chancellor, since the odds of FFF followed by FFF are intolerably slim.

Scoop has been playing like a Liberal. Moliere, despite his contrary nature, seems Liberal to me. stessier still seems sneaky, but that could just be Liberal paranoia. He'd be my guess for fourth if Holman's wrong.
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

Moliere wrote:How is RW always evil and Grundbegriff always good? It defies the odds.
Jacob and Esau.

That inner-quoted first guess, in which I liked Guap and disliked RMC, was from 25 Feb.

FWIW, here's how I thot abot the shot:
Grundbegriff wrote:
bb2112 wrote:...
I'm sorely tempted to shoot Chaosraven, since if he's evil he exploited me. However, I believe the deck contained FFF FFF FFF LLL after the reshuffle, and it's possible, if unlikely, that he really did draw FFF (which would leave the current talon at FFFLLL rather than FFFFLL). So there's a risk of being wrong. How much does it weigh?

Objectively, the only claim to certain knowledge of Fascist alignment is Vorret's claim to have scanned Remus West. So it follows that if I buy into Vorret as Liberal, I should shoot Remus. There's a risk that Vorret's evil; how much does it weigh?

El Guapo's a candidate, but there's fog. El Guapo claims RMC gave him FF, while RMC claims he gave El Guapo FL. RMC claims that Vorret is a Liberal. But nothing here is a hook:
  • GOOD VORRET: If RMC is evil and El Guapo's good, RMC could still confirm a Liberal Vorret
  • GOOD VORRET: If RMC is good and El Guapo's evil, RMC would certainly confirm a Liberal Vorret.
  • EVIL VORRET: Evil RMC would confirm him as Liberal.
  • EVIL VORRET: Good RMC would expose Vorret. This is the only useful scenario, but it didn't occur.
If I trusted El Guapo, I might shoot RMC; and if I trusted RMC, I might shoot El Guapo. But I trust neither. :D

In truth, I also don't trust Vorret, and I'm having doubts about my aunt.

Another way to approach the issue is to consider what I can sell while still persuading a majority to trust me (so that I'm put in a position to enact Ls). I think I can sell shooting Remus, since a plausibly Liberal scanner claims to have outed him. So from that vantage, shooting Remus is the safe thing to do. But honestly, my fellow Liberals who are leery of me will probably be unwilling to trust me no matter what, given that I'm now involved in enacting a second F.

I may ask the masses, though they don't seem to line up and nominate/vote on demand in straw polls.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Grundbegriff wrote:I may ask the masses, though they don't seem to line up and nominate/vote on demand in straw polls.
I never saw the point of that as either Liberal or Fascist. I always feel like I am being played and such a poll doesn't benefit me at all.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

stessier wrote:
Grundbegriff wrote:I may ask the masses, though they don't seem to line up and nominate/vote on demand in straw polls.
I never saw the point of that as either Liberal or Fascist. I always feel like I am being played and such a poll doesn't benefit me at all.
Ah, but it generates the apperance of open-mindedness and preempts later whining/accusations.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Grundbegriff wrote:
stessier wrote:
Ah, but it generates the apperance of open-mindedness and preempts later whining/accusations.
The exact reasons I see no reason to participate. :)
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

stessier wrote: The exact reasons I see no reason to participate. :)
Don't worry-- your contrary demeanor didn't flag you as a likely Hitler. :ninja:
bb2112
End of Days
Location: Knowledge! It is almost as important as money, luck, and family connections.

Post by bb2112 »

stessier wrote: So for my team - why didn't you all vote for me for President? It would have been nice to get to play and mess with Vorret.
This really bothered me. If your team would have voted you in, you would have had the shot. The deck draw at this time was FFF. Both El Guapo and RW voted NO. If they would have both voted YES then you could have shot a liberal. At that time you were suspecting El G, RW, and Moliere as your team. I don't think anyone would have given you too much of a problem if you shot RMC or Vorret. It might have swung the momentum.

Another thing I don't really understand, if a President claims they got FFF, everyone just shrugs their shoulders. CR was the closest to being suspected, but it happened to Grund, Vorret, and Scoop.
That's no reason to cry. One cries because one is sad. For example, I cry because others are stupid, and that makes me sad.
Why would I stab an Oracle? Wait, what am I saying? Why wouldn't I stab an Oracle? - Belkar Bitterleaf
BCY4920 - You can suck it Johnny Angel.
Vorret

Post by Vorret »

bb2112 wrote:
stessier wrote: So for my team - why didn't you all vote for me for President? It would have been nice to get to play and mess with Vorret.
This really bothered me. If your team would have voted you in, you would have had the shot. The deck draw at this time was FFF. Both El Guapo and RW voted NO. If they would have both voted YES then you could have shot a liberal. At that time you were suspecting El G, RW, and Moliere as your team. I don't think anyone would have given you too much of a problem if you shot RMC or Vorret. It might have swung the momentum.

Another thing I don't really understand, if a President claims they got FFF, everyone just shrugs their shoulders. CR was the closest to being suspected, but it happened to Grund, Vorret, and Scoop.
wEIRD...I would have been a perfect target for a coup as well. Wonder why they dropped the ball.
Isgrimnur wrote:
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

Thanks for hosting, bb2112. It gave a good sense of the game.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

I voted No because pretty much everyone was saying they suspected me as Fascist. I wanted no part of electing stessier into any office in hopes he would get the important office shot.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
stessier

Post by stessier »

Remus West wrote:I voted No because pretty much everyone was saying they suspected me as Fascist. I wanted no part of electing stessier into any office in hopes he would get the important office shot.
Normally I would agree, but at that point there was such a small chance of getting a shot at the chancellorship, that it was worth it just to let me make mayhem. At least that's what it looked like from my seat.

I'm not sure I would have shot Vorret - might have shot RMC while "searching" for Hitler. That could have been fun.
Vorret

Post by Vorret »

Remus West wrote:I voted No because pretty much everyone was saying they suspected me as Fascist. I wanted no part of electing stessier into any office in hopes he would get the important office shot.
But... let's say he's elected, I'm chancy... he sends FF , I enact F, he says he sent FL, boom ,you're in the clear.
Isgrimnur wrote:
bb2112
End of Days
Location: Knowledge! It is almost as important as money, luck, and family connections.

Post by bb2112 »

Totally get that. But by not voting for it you gave the shot to Grund and that ended worse for you. You were never going to be elected into office again. And we saw from the last game when Hitler can win by being elected Chancellor everyone clenches up. An unknown commodity like Stess was never going to get voted in as Chancellor.
That's no reason to cry. One cries because one is sad. For example, I cry because others are stupid, and that makes me sad.
Why would I stab an Oracle? Wait, what am I saying? Why wouldn't I stab an Oracle? - Belkar Bitterleaf
bb2112
End of Days

Post by bb2112 »

Vorret wrote:
But... let's say he's elected, I'm chancy... he sends FF , I enact F, he says he sent FL, boom ,you're in the clear.
Exactly. Then it also makes RMC look a little worse.
bb2112
End of Days

Post by bb2112 »

Out of the 10 policies passed:

President:
Liberal 9
Fascist 1

Chancellor:
Liberal 9
Fascist 1

Only 2 Fascists were ever elected to a position the whole game.

How does one do a table again in OO again? I will post my tracking sheet.
Vorret

Post by Vorret »

bb2112 wrote:Out of the 10 policies passed:

President:
Liberal 9
Fascist 1

Chancellor:
Liberal 9
Fascist 1

Only 2 Fascists were ever elected to a position the whole game.

How does one do a table again in OO again? I will post my tracking sheet.
Wow... shows how the order of the deck can screw the results but having so many Liberal elected really helped us in the long run.

Also the RW/El G scenario removed 2 baddies from contention.
Isgrimnur wrote:
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

bb2112 wrote:How does one do a table again in OO again? I will post my tracking sheet.
[ /tcell] [ /tcell] [ /trow] [ /table]

Make sure you end up with the table on one looooong line, or you'll end up with a lot of shitespace below it.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Vorret wrote:
Ah, I also forgot that he put you in as Chancellor. No way I could vote for you in any role and maintain the claim that you were lying about me. I HAD to vote No on any ticket you were part of.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Vorret

Post by Vorret »

Remus West wrote:
Vorret wrote:
Ah, I also forgot that he put you in as Chancellor. No way I could vote for you in any role and maintain the claim that you were lying about me. I HAD to vote No on any ticket you were part of.
Good point , makes sense :oops:
Isgrimnur wrote:
bb2112
End of Days

Post by bb2112 »

Isgrimnur wrote:
bb2112 wrote:How does one do a table again in OO again? I will post my tracking sheet.
[ /tcell] [ /tcell] [ /trow] [ /table]

Make sure you end up with the table on one looooong line, or you'll end up with a lot of shitespace below it.
I'm sorry. I have a chart that is 8 columns by 17 rows in excel and I can't quite figure out how that fits with what you wrote. Not a programmer and that is not intuitive for me. Could you post an example?
bb2112
End of Days

Post by bb2112 »

Ok, I figured it out and it is going to kill me to finish this thing.
stessier

Post by stessier »

First, this will be painful. :)

Put your text between the tcell] [/tcell] tags.

To get rid of the white space, after filling out the table and verifying it is correct, take out the end of line breaks on every line.
Col 1Col 2Col 3Col 4Col 5Col 6Col 7Col 8
Row 1
Row 2
Row 3
Row 4
Row 5
Row 6
Row 7
Row 8
Row 9
Row 10
Row 11
Row 12
Row 13
Row 14
Row 15
Row 16
Row 17
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

For being Liberal, RMC was acting damn suspicious particularly when he seemed to have a voting block before the scan -- and then there was the stampede to nail Remus. I suspected a phony initial accusation to clear a Fascist voting block that kept passing Fascist policies "because there was no choice."
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
bb2112
End of Days

Post by bb2112 »

[tcell][/tcell][tcell][/tcell]
RoundPhasePresidentPoliciesChancellorPoliciesEnactedAction
Round 11VorretFFFRMCFFFascistScan Remus
Round 12aRemus WestChaosraven
Round 12bHolmanLFFGrundbegriffLFLiberal
Round 13RMCLFFEl GuapoLFFascistScan Vorret
Round 14ScoopLLFGrundbegriffLLLiberal
Round 15MoliereLFFHolmanLFLiberal
Round 21aEl GuapoScoop
Round 21bChaosravenLFFGrundbegriffFFFascistNominates Grund
Round 22aGrundbegriffScoop
Round 22bStessierVorret
Round 22cGrundbegriffFFFVorretFFFascistShoots Remus
Round 23aVorretScoop
Round 23bHolmanFLLMoliereLLLiberal
Round 31aRMCEl Guapo
Round 31bScoopFFFVorretFFFascistShoots El Guapo
Round 32MoliereFLLHolmanLLLiberalLiberals Win!
Underlined the Fascists. Other than taking a couple bullets, they didn't get to play at all. And they were still 1 policy away from winning due to the deck being so stacked in the Fascist's favor.
Spoiler:
What a pain in the ass! I hope you enjoy it at least. :P
Last edited by bb2112 on Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RMC

Post by RMC »

bb2112 wrote:
Vorret wrote:
Exactly. Then it also makes RMC look a little worse.
Hey... I am a lovable teddy bear, no one ever wants to hurt me. :)
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
RMC

Post by RMC »

Zarathud wrote:For being Liberal, RMC was acting damn suspicious particularly when he seemed to have a voting block before the scan -- and then there was the stampede to nail Remus. I suspected a phony initial accusation to clear a Fascist voting block that kept passing Fascist policies "because there was no choice."
Nah, I am no puppet master. Just a lonely Liberal who got railroaded by the bad card draws. :)
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Remus West wrote:
Vorret wrote:
Honestly, I can't recall what I was actually thinking at that point in the game. I suspect that my reasons were similar to Remus's.
Black Lives Matter.
Holman

Post by Holman »

bb2112, thanks for hosting! I really enjoyed the game.
bb2112 wrote: Underlined the Fascists. Other than taking a couple bullets, they didn't get to play at all. And they were still 1 policy away from winning due to the deck being so stacked in the Fascist's favor.
So we almost lost without the Fascists even trying?
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
bb2112
End of Days

Post by bb2112 »

Holman wrote:bb2112, thanks for hosting! I really enjoyed the game.
bb2112 wrote: Underlined the Fascists. Other than taking a couple bullets, they didn't get to play at all. And they were still 1 policy away from winning due to the deck being so stacked in the Fascist's favor.
Actually no. As Grund pointed out you had the Veto power. So even if you got deck screwed again, you had a very good chance of passing a L policy on the next go around. You were going to win the game because your team essentially figured out who to trust and who not to trust very early on and never let the Fascists really get in the game. The last two draws the L's clumped together so you had a lot of F's coming at the same time. In order for the Fascists to win, they have to get elected. That didn't really happen in either game.
bb2112
End of Days

Post by bb2112 »

And you're welcome. It was fun hosting.
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

I was ready to have Stessier as my liberal knight in shining armor but his aggressive better dead than scoop campaign seemed at odds with what I was doing as was a huge red flag. Also I think has to play nice with everyone to gain trust. I really don't know what that is like in practice tho.
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

bb2112 wrote:
Actually no. As Grund pointed out you had the Veto power. So even if you got deck screwed again, you had a very good chance of passing a L policy on the next go around. You were going to win the game because your team essentially figured out who to trust and who not to trust very early on and never let the Fascists really get in the game. The last two draws the L's clumped together so you had a lot of F's coming at the same time. In order for the Fascists to win, they have to get elected. That didn't really happen in either game.
Actually a F or Hitler President could have cancelled the veto, right?
"Where are you off to?"
"I don't know," Snufkin replied.
The door shut again and Snufkin entered his forest, with a hundred miles of silence ahead of him.

Sweet sweet meat come. -LordMortis
RMC

Post by RMC »

Chaosraven wrote:
bb2112 wrote:
As I understand the rules, both Pres and Chanc have to agree to the veto so, yup.
bb2112
End of Days

Post by bb2112 »

Chaosraven wrote:
bb2112 wrote:
Yeah but the F's and Hitler were never going to be elected so your scenario would never come to fruition. At least not in this game.