The Resistance: Avalon (Game Over)

This is the place for self-contained forum games

Moderator: Zaxxon

Grundbegriff

The Resistance: Avalon (Game Over)

Post by Grundbegriff »

Welcome to The Resistance: Avalon! This post will provide an overview of roles, rules, and gameplay protocols.

Avalon is a game of social deception in the spirit of Werewolf. The game includes 5 - 10 players, and the rules vary slightly according to how many are playing:

Order of Battle
  • 5: 3 good, 2 evil
  • 6: 4 good, 2 evil
  • 7: 4 good, 3 evil
  • 8: 5 good, 3 evil
  • 9: 6 good, 3 evil
  • 10: 6 good, 4 evil
Goal:
  • Good: Three successful quests AND keep Merlin hidden
  • Bad: Three failed quests OR five failed votes in a row OR find Merlin to thwart Good victory
Start:
  • Players start in a random order.
  • The first player on the list is the first Leader. The role of Leader moves from person to person in a cycle with no variation.
  • Players receive randomly-assigned roles.
  • The last player on the list is the first Lady of the Lake. The role of Lady of the Lake moves twice according to rules explained below.
Roles may include (bold always included):
  • Normals: Loyal Servant (Good); Minion of Mordred (Evil)
  • Specials (Good): Merlin, Percival
  • Specials (Evil): Assassin, Morgana, Mordred, Oberon
The game is a loop that includes two phases. The first one always happens, and the second happens only if the first is successful.

The Loop
A: The Team-Building Phase

A.1. The current Leader nominates a certain number of people to form a questing party. The number required for the quest is shown on the progress placard:
Enlarge Image
For example, when the 10 player placard (shown) is used, the first quest requires a party of 3, the second and third quests require 4, and the fourth and fifth quests require 5.

The Leader nominates party members by using the [accuse tag on the username of every nominee. The Leader need not include himself in the party.

A.2. All players vote on whether to ACCEPT or REJECT the party the Leader has nominated. Voting is by PM to the Moderator. When all votes have been received, or when a suitable time has passed, the Moderator announces the results of the vote by posting each player's name and vote. The questing party is ACCEPTED only on a majority vote; the people REJECT the party on a tie or less.

A.3. If the questing party vote fails, the failed vote count (which starts at 0) increases by 1 and The Loop starts over with a new Team-Building Phase. Five vote failures in a row result in an immediate Evil victory. If the question vote succeeds, the failed vote count is set to 0 and the phase B of The Loop ensues.

B: The Quest Phase

B.1. The members of the Quest vote secretly on whether the Quest succeeds or fails. A single FAILURE vote sabotages the quest. Since members of the Good team must always vote for SUCCESS, the Good players do not have to take action at this point. If the quest party includes a member of the Evil team, the Evil player(s) may either do nothing (resulting in an automatic FAILURE vote after 24 hours) or (preferably!) PM the Moderator to register a SUCCESS or FAILURE vote sooner than that.

B.2. After a designated time (24 hours from the moment the questing party is finalized) has passed, the Moderator will announce how many SUCCESS votes and how many FAILURE votes occurred. (If all quest party members passively accept the defaults, then the vote count will match their alignments). The Moderator will not reveal who voted which way. A Quest fails if the FAILURE count is greater than 0 (except on the 4th Quest, which fails only if the FAILURE count is greater than 1).

B.3. If the quest FAILS, then a RED marker is placed on the progress placard; if the quest SUCCEEDS, then a BLUE marker is placed on the progress placard. If 3 RED markers are achieved, Evil wins. If 3 BLUE markers are achieved, then the ASSASSIN may (after consultation with teammates) attempt to kill (i.e., guess which player is) Merlin. A correct guess results in Evil victory; an incorrect guess results in Good victory.

B.4. If the game does not end in step B.3, then The Loop starts over for the next Leader and Quest.
Last edited by Grundbegriff on Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:22 am, edited 6 times in total.
Grundbegriff

Re: The Resistance: Avalon: Roles

Post by Grundbegriff »

ROLES

Enlarge Image
Loyal Servant of Arthur
You're knights of the Round Table. You vote whene'er you're able.

Enlarge Image
Minions of Mordred
Your basic evil grunt

Enlarge Image
Merlin
Merlin knows the identity of the Evil players (except Mordred) from the beginning.

Enlarge Image
The Assassin
The Assassin must try to figure out which player is Merlin. If the Good team is about to win (having succeeded at 3 quests), the Assassin will have a chance to kill Merlin and thereby turn the tide in favor of the Evil team.

Optional Characters

Benefit to the Good Team:

Enlarge Image
Oberon
Aligned with Evil (but a net help to Good), Oberon is not a Minion of Mordred. They don't know him and he doesn't know them. Merlin does see Oberon.

Enlarge Image
Percival
Knows the identity of Merlin

Benefit to the Evil Team:

Enlarge Image
Mordred
Invisible to Merlin

Enlarge Image
Morgana
If Percival is in the game, Morgana will look like Merlin to him. (Percival will be given two players' names instead of one).

Combinations:
If Morgana is in the game, then Percival is in the game.
If Percival is in the game, then at least one of { Mordred, Morgana } is in the game.

The Lady of the Lake
  • The lowest player on the Leader roster starts the game as the Lady of the Lake. The Lady of the Lake exercises her scanning power immediately after Quests #2, #3, and #4.
  • Immediately after a relevant quest, the Lady of the Lake asks the Moderator for the true alignment of exactly one other player who has never been the Lady of the Lake.
  • The scanned player becomes the next Lady of the Lake.
  • The moderator will announce that "The Lady of the Lake, scanner name, knows the alignment of target name. Target name is now the Lady of the Lake."
Special roles actually included will depend on the number of players and whim of the moderator.
Last edited by Grundbegriff on Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:06 am, edited 3 times in total.
Grundbegriff

Re: The Resistance: Avalon: FAQs

Post by Grundbegriff »

Questions Answered

Q: Can Merlin see Oberon, or not? Are you broken in the head?
A: Merlin can see Oberon. No, but my typing hand is tetchy.

Q: Morgana is an evil who looks like a good to Percival. If the Lady of the Lake scans Morgana, what will the result be?
A: Evil.

Q: Exactly how is Random.org used in this game?
A: I make a list of players' names, in sign-up order, and randomize it with a click at https://www.random.org/lists/ to determine Leader Rotation Order. Then I make a list of the ten distinct roles and randomize that with a click at the same location. Then I set the lists side by side, et voilà! Those are the assignments.

Q: The Evils know one another (when Oberon is excluded). Do they also know who is in which evil role?
A: No. Each only knows his/her own role.

Q: What is "Mordrassin"?
A: It's a mashup of Mordred and Assassin. The Assassin's power is sort of lame-- final say on the Merlin guess-- so I've folded into Mordred. He is, after all, the leader of the Evils.

Q: What exactly do we do in the Team-Building phase?
A: The Leader proposes a team, and then every player sends a PM to the moderator to either ACCEPT or REJECT that team as a whole.

Q: What exactly do we do in the Quest phase?
A: If you're not on the chosen team, you do nothing. If you're on the chosen team and you're good, you do nothing. If you're on the chosen team and you're evil and you want the quest to FAIL, you do nothing. If you're on the chosen team and you're evil and you want the quest to SUCCEED, then you must PM the Moderator to say so before the deadline!

Q: How long is the timeout on an Evil quester's opportunity to vote "SUCCEED"?
A: 24 hours from the moment the party is finalized (via the accuse tag).
Last edited by Grundbegriff on Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:58 am, edited 9 times in total.
bb2112
End of Days
Location: Knowledge! It is almost as important as money, luck, and family connections.

Re: The Resistance: Avalon

Post by bb2112 »

Oberon
Aligned with Evil (but a net help to Good), Oberon is not a Minion of Mordred. They don't know him and he doesn't know them. Merlin does see Oberon.

Merlin
Merlin knows the identity of the Evil players (except Oberon, if present) from the beginning.

This seems contradictory to me. Does Merlin know Oberon or not? Also, Oberon says he is aligned with Evil but net help to Good, so does he count as an evil player or a good player? And if he is aligned with Evil, does that mean he wins with Good or Evil?

Are we playing with all the personalities or are you planning to limit them the first game?
That's no reason to cry. One cries because one is sad. For example, I cry because others are stupid, and that makes me sad.
Why would I stab an Oracle? Wait, what am I saying? Why wouldn't I stab an Oracle? - Belkar Bitterleaf
BCY4920 - You can suck it Johnny Angel.
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

bb2112 wrote:Oberon

Merlin
Merlin knows the identity of the Evil players from the beginning.

Does Merlin know Oberon or not?
Merlin knows Oberon. Sorry for the misstatement.
Also, Oberon says he aligned with Evil but net help to Good, so does he count as an evil player or a good player? And if he aligned with Evil, does that mean he wins with Good or Evil?
Oberon is aligned with Evil and wins with Evil, but Evil does not know who he is. To understand why confusion among the evils is a net benefit to Good, think about Hitler in Secret Hitler. Plus, Merlin knows Oberon.

If it ever comes to a point where the Assassin has a shot at Merlin, the Evil players discuss the options. This group may include multiple claimants to Oberonicity, since he cannot be proven. This also helps Good.
Are we playing with all the personalities or are you planning to limit them the first game?
Looks like we'll have ten, so I'd like to include Specials. I'm open to discussion about interesting combinations!
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Reading.
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

According to Random.org/lists, the order of leadership is:
  1. stessier
  2. RMC
  3. Holman
  4. Chaosraven
  5. Isgrimnur
  6. Moliere
  7. Scoop20906
  8. bb2112
  9. Remus West
  10. El Guapo
Note: stessier is the first Quest Leader, and El Guapo is the first Lady of the Lake. Congratulations, both!

By eerie coincidence, we'll be using the very placard with which I illustrated the instructional post:
Note well: each Quest (the big circles) is marked with the number of party members. The 4th Quest includes a note that it fails only if 2 FAILURE votes are cast to scuttle it.

Note also: We will have 6 Good (including Merlin) and 4 Evil (including the Assassin). Let's discuss what would be a good mix.

The Assassin doesn't really do much-- especially since he cannot be killed and since the whole Evil Team discusses the identity of Merlin if that circumstance arises. So one sensible House Rule is to merge one of the Special roles for Team Evil into the Assassin.

For example, this might be an interesting mix:
Good: Merlin, Percival, Loyal Servant, Loyal Servant, Loyal Servant, Loyal Servant
Evil: Assassin/Mordred, Morgana, Minion, Minion

This dispenses with the Oberon wildcard, which might be too corrupting an influence if people are hoping to get a feel for Orthodox Avalon™.

Thoughts?
bb2112
End of Days
Location: Knowledge! It is almost as important as money, luck, and family connections.

Post by bb2112 »

I like it.
That's no reason to cry. One cries because one is sad. For example, I cry because others are stupid, and that makes me sad.
Why would I stab an Oracle? Wait, what am I saying? Why wouldn't I stab an Oracle? - Belkar Bitterleaf
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Grundbegriff wrote:
Note: stessier is the first Quest Leader, and El Guapo is the first Lady of the Lake. Congratulations, both!
I'm so pretty.
Black Lives Matter.
bb2112
End of Days

Post by bb2112 »

El Guapo wrote:
Grundbegriff wrote:
I'm so pretty.
Just to be clear, the Lady of the Lake can be good or evil, so we have to take her scans with a grain of salt, right?
El Guapo

Re: The Resistance: Avalon: Roles

Post by El Guapo »

Grundbegriff wrote: If Percival is in the game, Morgana will look like Merlin to him.
I have a solution! I think our first quest should be to find prescription lenses for Percival.
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Merlin
Merlin knows the identity of the Evil players (except Modred) from the beginning.
This is a correct summary of Merlin, right? He sees every evil player other than Modred?
Black Lives Matter.
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

bb2112 wrote:
El Guapo wrote:
Grundbegriff wrote:
I'm so pretty.
Just to be clear, the Lady of the Lake can be good or evil, so we have to take her scans with a grain of salt, right?
Correct.
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

El Guapo wrote:
Merlin
Merlin knows the identity of the Evil players (except Mordred) from the beginning.
This is a correct summary of Merlin, right? He sees every evil player other than Mordred?
Correct. Merlin learns about Morgana, Oberon, and all Minions of Mordred. He does not learn about Mordred, which is the sum of Mordred's power.
stessier

Post by stessier »

I have to put together a safety presentation and then I'll come read all the cool rules. Stupid question - why are the faces half messed up? (Possible answer - so people don't print them out to play the game on their own?)
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
RMC

Post by RMC »

Busy day at work, but a great day to start a new game as well. :)
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Does the evil team get to PM in this game? Do they get to coordinate in this game outside of the assassination decision?
Black Lives Matter.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

El Guapo wrote:Does the evil team get to PM in this game? Do they get to coordinate in this game outside of the assassination decision?
Just send your PM's to Remus West. He will coordinate.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Moliere wrote:
El Guapo wrote:Does the evil team get to PM in this game? Do they get to coordinate in this game outside of the assassination decision?
Just send your PM's to Remus West. He will coordinate.
The way I'm evil so often is almost like magic......Merlinish? :ninja:
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

stessier wrote:Why are the faces half messed up? (Possible answer - so people don't print them out to play the game on their own?)
Correct. I wanted to respect the IP. For the same reason, the picture of the box cover is also an Amazon link for purchasing the game.
stessier

Post by stessier »

I'm fine with the merging of the Assassin power.

El Guapo is Lady of the Lake until he uses his power after Quest 2, right?
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

No PMs; no secret coordination. This is a game designed to be played in person.
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

stessier wrote:El Guapo is Lady of the Lake until he uses his power after Quest 2, right?
Correct. El Guapo's target will (publicly) then become the Lakelady for post Quest 3.
stessier

Post by stessier »

And wow, does Good ever win this game? We have 5 tries to figure out 5 of the 6 Good Guys. And Merlin can't out himself. This is going to be rough.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Grundbegriff wrote:
stessier wrote:El Guapo is Lady of the Lake until he uses his power after Quest 2, right?
Correct. El Guapo's target will (publicly) then become the Lakelady for post Quest 3.
Ok, so then at the "Merlin assassination phase" (if the game comes to that) the villains would all presumably out themselves at this point and openly discuss who to kill. At that point one or more of the villagers would likely join the discussion by claiming to be Oberon, Spartacus-style.
Black Lives Matter.
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

El Guapo wrote:
Grundbegriff wrote:
Ok, so then at the "Merlin assassination phase" (if the game comes to that) the villains would all presumably out themselves at this point and openly discuss who to kill. At that point one or more of the villagers would likely join the discussion by claiming to be Oberon, Spartacus-style.
Correct, except that I'm disinclined to include Oberon in our first game. Unless most think I should....
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Grundbegriff wrote:
El Guapo wrote:
Grundbegriff wrote:
Correct, except that I'm disinclined to include Oberon in our first game. Unless most think I should....
I would be inclined to play the game as it comes out of the box. So include Oberon unless he's some kind of optional rule or from an expansion set or something.
Black Lives Matter.
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

The boxed game includes optional components: Percival, Morgana, Mordred, Oberon, and the Lady of the Lake.

Core Avalon is only Merlin, Assassin, and grunts.
RMC

Post by RMC »

Grundbegriff wrote:
El Guapo wrote:
Grundbegriff wrote:
Could we include Spartacus? that would be fun. :)
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

Insofar as Merlin is as likely as anyone to claim "I'm Oberon" that mechanism's already available!
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

Grundbegriff wrote: For example, this might be an interesting mix:

Good: Merlin, Percival, Loyal Servant, Loyal Servant, Loyal Servant, Loyal Servant

Evil: Mordrassin, Morgana, Minion, Minion
Any strong objections to this arrangement? If so, speak. If not, I'll send out roles.

Let your will be known!
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Grundbegriff wrote:
Grundbegriff wrote: For example, this might be an interesting mix:

Evil: Mordrassin, Morgana, Minion, Minion
Any strong objections to this arrangement? If so, speak. If not, I'll send out roles.
It's fine with me. I would defer to anyone who has actually played the game before. Though thinking about it some more I am inclined to throw everything in and let God sort it out.

But I'm easy like Sunday morning, so whatever's fine with me.
Black Lives Matter.
RMC

Post by RMC »

I am good with everything. As long as I can be Spartacus! ;)

My legs are just that good..
Holman

Post by Holman »

Reading them rules...
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
stessier

Post by stessier »

I'm good with it or any variation people think would be fun.
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

If no objections arise, I'll send roles and kick off the game around 5pm EST, or shortly thereafter.
bb2112
End of Days

Post by bb2112 »

RMC wrote:I am good with everything. As long as I can be Spartacus! ;)

My legs are just that good..
I don't think VP's get pissed off at Spartacus.
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

Last edited by Grundbegriff on Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

:coffee:

:confusion-waiting:
"Where are you off to?"
"I don't know," Snufkin replied.
The door shut again and Snufkin entered his forest, with a hundred miles of silence ahead of him.

Sweet sweet meat come. -LordMortis
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Let's hear it for the forces of [TBD]!
Black Lives Matter.