The Resistance: Avalon (Game Over)

This is the place for self-contained forum games

Moderator: Zaxxon

RMC

Re: The Resistance: Avalon (Game Over)

Post by RMC »

Remus West wrote:Maybe. Did you have a list of "Evil" players you could have come out with early? IDK, there are way too many options to declare one the exact way to play it.
Nope. I had either you or M. I kinda was leaning towards M being the evil guy early, and wanted to cast doubt on you, but with two quick losses on the questing, I think I played too conservatively.
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

RMC wrote:
Remus West wrote:I was teasing. I have no idea what I'd have done. This game seems to require everyone participate for Good to have a shot. Passive participation hurts team good a lot.
Actually your thought did appeal to me, but I was not sure how to go about it. Declaring Merlin would be bad, as they would not believe me, right? But coming forth with the fact that I know who is Merlin and who is evil might not have been a bad play, right?

Just trying to think of other ways to have played it out.
I don't think I would have believed you if you came out as Merlin, FWIW. Too much incriminating evidence on Remus, and it's highly unlikely that the real Merlin would come out on account of the whole "losing the game if exposed" thing.
Black Lives Matter.
bb2112
End of Days
Location: Knowledge! It is almost as important as money, luck, and family connections.

Post by bb2112 »

I have to ask, did my mastermind posts do anything for you guys, or was I just wasting my time?
That's no reason to cry. One cries because one is sad. For example, I cry because others are stupid, and that makes me sad.
Why would I stab an Oracle? Wait, what am I saying? Why wouldn't I stab an Oracle? - Belkar Bitterleaf
BCY4920 - You can suck it Johnny Angel.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

bb2112 wrote:I have to ask, did my mastermind posts do anything for you guys, or was I just wasting my time?
They were pretty spot on, for what it's worth. I found them convincing.
Black Lives Matter.
bb2112
End of Days
Location: Knowledge! It is almost as important as money, luck, and family connections.

Re: The Resistance: Avalon

Post by bb2112 »

Scoop20906 wrote:I find it interesting who is announcing the best plan is to reject this party.

I'm voting to accept based almost solely on their recommendation to reject.
Thanks Scoop. I guess Isgrimnur felt the same way. :tjg:
That's no reason to cry. One cries because one is sad. For example, I cry because others are stupid, and that makes me sad.
Why would I stab an Oracle? Wait, what am I saying? Why wouldn't I stab an Oracle? - Belkar Bitterleaf
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

bb2112 wrote:
Scoop20906 wrote:I find it interesting who is announcing the best plan is to reject this party.

I'm voting to accept based almost solely on their recommendation to reject.
Thanks Scoop. I guess Isgrimnur felt the same way. :tjg:
Yeah, I'll be interested to know the thinking behind that one.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Thanks for hosting Grundbegriff. I was flying blind most of the game, not really sure what to do. :pop:
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Remus West wrote:This game seems to require everyone participate for Good to have a shot. Passive participation hurts team good a lot.
That's definitely true when playing the game in person. Merlin needs highly vocal participants for rhetorical cover if he is to work his subtle craft. If they keep shtum, so must he, which obviously impairs Team Good. And the Merlin/Assassin dynamic is where the game really shines.

Also, in my experience, plenty of newbie loyal players tend to accept team proposals a little too easily. More team votes = more information and discussion, both of which can aid Team Good. Broadly speaking, if a loyal player is not nominated for a quest, they typically ought to want to reject it, simply because the chances of included evil players are increased. However, voting yes right away on the first proposal of the round late in the game just because you're on it can be a potential game-loser.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Holman

Post by Holman »

Thanks for the game, Grundbegriff!

I believe I prefer Secret Hitler to this one. This game was more frustrating because there seemed to be too few ways to gain information and too few turns to actually accomplish the Mastermind puzzle.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
stessier

Post by stessier »

So who were the teams? Was it Accept vs. REJECT on the last vote except Scoop was Good? Even though it made no sense, I thought bb2112 might be Merlin and was following him. Due to voting patterns, I though RMC and Remus were also Good. I didn't know who the last 2 were.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
bb2112
End of Days

Post by bb2112 »

Grundbegriff wrote: Evil dramatis personae:
Holman: Minion of Mordred
Chaosraven: Minion of Mordred
Moliere: Morgana
El Guapo: Mordred
I was hoping to draw fire away from Remus as Merlin, but it didn't work. Nothing worked. Well, unless you were a bad guy. Then it worked perfectly.
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

dramatis personae
Evil
Holman: Minion of Mordred
Chaosraven: Minion of Mordred
Moliere: Morgana
El Guapo: Mordrassin
Good
stessier: Loyal Servant
Isgrimnur: Loyal Servant
Scoop20906: Loyal Servant
bb2112: Loyal Servant
RMC: Percival
Remus West: Merlin
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I didn't have the inclination or time before the party nomination to get a detailed deconstruction going. I didn't figure Moliere for evil, so I didn't fear for a deliberate loss, only an accidental. If we'd proceeded past it, I was going to put together my analysis. Too little, too late.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
bb2112
End of Days

Post by bb2112 »

Isgrimnur wrote:I didn't have the inclination or time before the party nomination to get a detailed deconstruction going. I didn't figure Moliere for evil, so I didn't fear for a deliberate loss, only an accidental. If we'd proceeded past it, I was going to put together my analysis. Too little, too late.
As Remus said, this game needs to have everyone present and engaged, and when you don't, it severely hampers the good guys. The game is already pretty difficult to win for good, so it isn't really a good PBP since people get busy. I did early on and several others did later in the game.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

bb2112 wrote:
Isgrimnur wrote:I didn't have the inclination or time before the party nomination to get a detailed deconstruction going. I didn't figure Moliere for evil, so I didn't fear for a deliberate loss, only an accidental. If we'd proceeded past it, I was going to put together my analysis. Too little, too late.
As Remus said, this game needs to have everyone present and engaged, and when you don't, it severely hampers the good guys. The game is already pretty difficult to win for good, so it isn't really a good PBP since people get busy. I did early on and several others did later in the game.
It's especially difficult when the leader of Team Evil is a brilliant, ruggedly handsome individual.
Black Lives Matter.
bb2112
End of Days

Post by bb2112 »

El Guapo wrote:
bb2112 wrote:
It's especially difficult when the leader of Team Evil is a brilliant, ruggedly handsome individual.
And who can argue with that! :lol:
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

bb2112 wrote:
Who the hell says they will play a game then gets busy. Some people, I tell you. :ninja:
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I will say that I think the village was closer to passing three quests than it seemed like. As it was there was a significant group - stessier, Remus, bb2112, and RMC - who had more or less figured out who the evils were. AND bb2112 had correctly thought through that one of Chaosraven or Scoop must be evil, and that working back from that if Chaosraven was evil then the whole group o' evil kind of followed from that.

You just needed to get a little bit farther. But you were close!

Although I would have just shot Remus in the head at the end anyway. But still!
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Oh, and thanks Grund for running the game!
Black Lives Matter.
stessier

Post by stessier »

I'm having a family reunion of sorts and was thinking of bringing board games. We will have at least 8 adults. Do you think Resistance would work as well with only 7 (seeing as we'll need 1 moderator)?
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

stessier wrote:I'm having a family reunion of sorts and was thinking of bringing board games. We will have at least 8 adults. Do you think Resistance would work as well with only 7 (seeing as we'll need 1 moderator)?
Absolutely. Also, it does not require a moderator at all, beyond reading the pre-game ritual. And you can download a great thematic MP3 version of that from BGG.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

It'll work fine, and you won't need a moderator if you have the physical game.