The Resistance: Avalon (Game Over)

This is the place for self-contained forum games

Moderator: Zaxxon

Moliere

Re: The Resistance: Avalon

Post by Moliere »

stessier wrote:I think this choice was hasty and I'm going to vote Reject - we need more discussion.
:lol:

I left this message FOUR days ago:
Moliere wrote:So, is there a group that would be accepted by a majority vote?
I asked multiple times for input. How long am I supposed to leave this game on hold for you to have more discussions?
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
stessier

Post by stessier »

Since we specifically said that Remus wasn't available until today and that we wanted to hear from him, longer than 20 minutes after his post might be nice. :)
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Moliere wrote:I understand the issue with ElG, Chaos, and RW. Can someone remind me why Holman is supposed to be Evil. I don't remember him involved in any action besides regular votes.
Did you care to get an answer to this from anyone other than Holman himself (who didn't really say why people think he is evil, only when stessier started suggesting he is evil) before leaving the question behind? Oops, no, you did not. Must have really been itching at you to know.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Remus West wrote:
Moliere wrote:I understand the issue with ElG, Chaos, and RW. Can someone remind me why Holman is supposed to be Evil. I don't remember him involved in any action besides regular votes.
Did you care to get an answer to this from anyone other than Holman himself (who didn't really say why people think he is evil, only when stessier started suggesting he is evil) before leaving the question behind? Oops, no, you did not. Must have really been itching at you to know.
That question was left Friday evening. Again, it's been almost 3 days and no one besides Holman bothered to answer. I didn't leave anything behind. It's b.s. to say that I rushed the decision or that I didn't ask for input on specific people, or that I didn't propose possible group combinations to get everyone's opinion. I did all of these things over the last 4 days. If you don't like the group then Reject it and wait for Silent Scoop to offer something else.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Moliere wrote:
Remus West wrote:
That question was left Friday evening. Again, it's been almost 3 days and no one besides Holman bothered to answer. I didn't leave anything behind. It's b.s. to say that I rushed the decision or that I didn't ask for input on specific people, or that I didn't propose possible group combinations to get everyone's opinion. I did all of these things over the last 4 days. If you don't like the group then Reject it and wait for Silent Scoop to offer something else.
Said nothing about the group. Implied something about you. You asked a question. Got a partial answer from someone, presumably not the target of the question, then moved along without expressing any concern over the question not being answered.

For what its worth, I suspect Holman because he left himself off his own party when proclaiming an effort to make the most likely good party. Makes it look like he thinks of himself as not good. I'm willing to accept his self assessment and never vote him into a party again. :D

Also, I already voted to reject. Hopefully we will get to see what Scoop puts together.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
stessier

Post by stessier »

Again - 4 days when we specifically said we were waiting for everyone. We more or less just stopped last Friday by mutual consent. It wasn't hidden.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Holman

Post by Holman »

I'm not sure that my giving an answer helps anything, given that certain players are so oddly and without foundation committed to the idea that I'm evil.

The Mastermind aspect of the game is certainly difficult because we don't have enough chances to reliably "test" without losing.
Moliere wrote:After weighing all the comments I am going to go with this group for the next quest.

Moliere
Scoop20906
Holman
Isgrimnur
bb2112 

Since all of the scanners are unreliable I am not including any of them.
I will vote to accept this team because it leaves off members of tainted Quest 2 and also avoids the players who have conspicuously and without evidence accused others of being evil.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
bb2112
End of Days
Location: Knowledge! It is almost as important as money, luck, and family connections.

Post by bb2112 »

Holman was not the only one to answer. And I think your waiting 3 days is fine. Although I am not going to vote for your party. :P
That's no reason to cry. One cries because one is sad. For example, I cry because others are stupid, and that makes me sad.
Why would I stab an Oracle? Wait, what am I saying? Why wouldn't I stab an Oracle? - Belkar Bitterleaf
BCY4920 - You can suck it Johnny Angel.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Remus West wrote: Said nothing about the group. Implied something about you. You asked a question. Got a partial answer from someone, presumably not the target of the question, then moved along without expressing any concern over the question not being answered.

For what its worth, I suspect Holman because he left himself off his own party when proclaiming an effort to make the most likely good party. Makes it look like he thinks of himself as not good. I'm willing to accept his self assessment and never vote him into a party again. :D
As I've explained three or four times, I left myself off because a successful quest requires not only goodness but acceptance by the group. I assumed that it was SOP to leave out members of a tainted group until further scans had confirmed some things. I have since learned otherwise, I guess.

Honestly, I have no idea why this was even controversial at the time.
Last edited by Holman on Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bb2112
End of Days
Location: Knowledge! It is almost as important as money, luck, and family connections.

Post by bb2112 »

stessier wrote:I think this choice was hasty and I'm going to vote Reject - we need more discussion.

My thought is that we need to test someone from the El Guapo, RMC, stessier, Holman group now...but not Holman. :) We know 2 in that group are Bad, but that also means 2 are good and we can't win on the last day without 1 of the two in the Group. We can have 1 bad now and I think it is better to test one of them now rather than later. Maybe. I think. It was a thought I was playing with on Friday and I really stopped thinking about it once I learned Remus wouldn't be back until today. Thoughts?
I think this is a good plan. Switch out either Moliere or Isgrimnur for one of the first group of four. Preferably Igrimnur, but either would be good.

I still like my group from earlier, but since nobody else has the cojones to draw up a group of their own, I expect we will argue vaguely about it for a long time until the quest organizer gets frustrated and throws out a group of their own. Oh wait...
That's no reason to cry. One cries because one is sad. For example, I cry because others are stupid, and that makes me sad.
Why would I stab an Oracle? Wait, what am I saying? Why wouldn't I stab an Oracle? - Belkar Bitterleaf
bb2112
End of Days

Post by bb2112 »

Moliere wrote:After weighing all the comments I am going to go with this group for the next quest.

Moliere
Scoop20906
Holman
Isgrimnur
bb2112 

Since all of the scanners are unreliable I am not including any of them.
I strongly urge everyone that is good, vote this quest down. If you are bad, please vote for it so we know who you are. :wink:
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

Chaosraven, Scoop20906
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

I find it interesting who is announcing the best plan is to reject this party.

I'm voting to accept based almost solely on their recommendation to reject.
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

stessier REJECT
RMC REJECT
Holman ACCEPT
Chaosraven ACCEPT
Isgrimnur ACCEPT
Moliere ACCEPT
Scoop20906 ACCEPT
bb2112 REJECT
Remus West REJECT
El Guapo ACCEPT

ACCEPT: 6
REJECT: 4

The party is approved! Quest #4 is underway!

Fleece... or get fleeced!

(If you're an evil quester, PM me!)
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Really? Sigh.
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

Cross yer friggin' fingers.

Noonan.

NOONAN!
"Where are you off to?"
"I don't know," Snufkin replied.
The door shut again and Snufkin entered his forest, with a hundred miles of silence ahead of him.

Sweet sweet meat come. -LordMortis
bb2112
End of Days

Post by bb2112 »

Grundbegriff wrote:stessier REJECT
RMC REJECT
Holman ACCEPT
Chaosraven ACCEPT
Isgrimnur ACCEPT
Moliere ACCEPT
Scoop20906 ACCEPT
bb2112 REJECT
Remus West REJECT
El Guapo ACCEPT

ACCEPT: 6
REJECT: 4

The party is approved! Quest #4 is underway!

Fleece... or get fleeced!

(If you're an evil quester, PM me!)
Wait, if we have 2 evils in the party, isn't it game over? Does this mean we don't have 2 evils in the questing party?
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

They sought the fleece, they sought the grail. But 'twas not to be; their fate was fell.
Camelot is fallen, is fallen, is fallen
Camelot is fallen, to rise no more

Congratulations, Team Mordred!

Before we expose all roles, Evils please offer a guess about the identity of Merlin. That way, we'll also know what would've happened if Good had managed to win three quests!

Evil dramatis personae:
Holman: Minion of Mordred
Chaosraven: Minion of Mordred
Moliere: Morgana
El Guapo: Mordred
Holman

Post by Holman »

Woo hoo!

You will all be surprised to learn that I was Evil Evil Evil.

Was Merlin that pesky Stessier? IIRC, he lumped all but one of the evil players together (as Merlin would) pretty early on.
bb2112
End of Days

Post by bb2112 »

bb2112 wrote:Analysis to follow:

Team Evil:
Holman
Chaosraven
El Guapo
Moliere/Isgrimnur (I think Issy, but not 100% sure)
Dammit!
El Guapo

Re: The Resistance: Avalon (Game Over)

Post by El Guapo »

I would be shocked if Merlin was anyone other than Remus.
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Where does one go to get a crown made around here?
Black Lives Matter.
RMC

Post by RMC »

Spoiler:
Merlin was Remus West, I was the dude that knew Moliere and Remus were Merlin or the evil dude.
Sorry, I just read we lost not what we were doing..
Last edited by RMC on Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

Ok-- so let's not allow all Evils to guess at Merlin before confirming his identity....
Last edited by Grundbegriff on Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

whew! :oops:
I almost cost Team Evil the game when I panicked and rejected Isgrimnur's group. I didn't think the vote would be that close and thought the Evils would be outed by who accepted the group selection. It definitely changes the dynamic when you can't communicate with your team members while also knowing who they are.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Moliere wrote:whew! :oops:
I almost cost Team Evil the game when I panicked and rejected Isgrimnur's group. I didn't think the vote would be that close and thought the Evils would be outed by who accepted the group selection. It definitely changes the dynamic when you can't communicate with your team members while also knowing who they are.
:D It's fine - and you got to make up for it by nominating the winning party.
Black Lives Matter.
RMC

Post by RMC »

Oops..
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

Observations on strategy, tactics, the Merlin/Percival challenge, etc...? Remus-- what were your thoughts about Mordred?

Comparisons to Secret Hitler?
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Grundbegriff wrote:Observations on strategy, tactics, the Merlin/Percival challenge, etc...? Remus-- what were your thoughts about Mordred?

due to El Guapo's lie regarding his scan I knew him right away. I think he used it as a way to find me though so I tried to hedge but obviously got well enough. I really needed folks to talk more and suggest more "I think X is Evil" to help me blend a bit.

I think this tilts a bit toward evil but I like it better than SH.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Remus West wrote:
Grundbegriff wrote:Observations on strategy, tactics, the Merlin/Percival challenge, etc...? Remus-- what were your thoughts about Mordred?

due to El Guapo's lie regarding his scan I knew him right away. I think he used it as a way to find me though so I tried to hedge but obviously got well enough. I really needed folks to talk more and suggest more "I think X is Evil" to help me blend a bit.

I think this tilts a bit toward evil but I like it better than SH.
Yeah that was one of the main reasons I did the scan the way I did. At first I was concerned about Merlin knowing that I was lying, but then I realized as long as I do it in a way that no one other than Merlin can be certain that I am lying, then that's a feature not a bug.

Relatedly I think it was a big break not only for Team Evil to start with the scan, but for Modred specifically to have it, because no other member of Team Evil can use the scan as a merlin detector.
Black Lives Matter.
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

Remus West wrote:
Grundbegriff wrote:I think he used it as a way to find me though so I tried to hedge but obviously not well enough. I really needed folks to talk more and suggest more "I think X is Evil" to help me blend a bit.
Having watched it play out, I see that the main task of Percival, whether he solves the Morgana/Merlin puzzle or not, is to try to seem like Merlin in order to give Merlin cover. At least it can be a coin flip at the end. Of course, Percy lacks Merlin's insight, so this can backfire badly. But it's still necessary ina game where discerning Merlin is a game-winner.
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

Incidentally... yes, evil might be willing to pass the Lady scan to good!
Holman

Post by Holman »

I don't think I was a very effective baddie. I drew suspicion early on, and the only strategy I could think of was to try to put distance between myself and El G/Chaosraven after that scan. I hoped to make it seem like we were on different teams. If we could have communicated, I would have suggested that Chaos use his scan to declare me Evil.
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

To the contrary, I thought your rebuttal of Remus was pretty persuasive. Not to him, of course, since he knew you were a weevil and had to hold his ground.
RMC

Post by RMC »

Grundbegriff wrote:
Remus West wrote:
Grundbegriff wrote:I think he used it as a way to find me though so I tried to hedge but obviously not well enough. I really needed folks to talk more and suggest more "I think X is Evil" to help me blend a bit.
Having watched it play out, I see that the main task of Percival, whether he solves the Morgana/Merlin puzzle or not, is to try to seem like Merlin in order to give Merlin cover. At least it can be a coin flip at the end. Of course, Percy lacks Merlin's insight, so this can backfire badly. But it's still necessary ina game where discerning Merlin is a game-winner.
Yeah, I had no idea who was whom, until a certain point when Remus seemed to know the good guys. But then it was too late, and I couldn't come out and say so and so was evil becaue then I might give away Remus, and Merlin would never revel himself, since he has no protection. <sigh> I had no idea how to play it.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

RMC wrote:
Grundbegriff wrote:
Remus West wrote:
Yeah, I had no idea who was whom, until a certain point when Remus seemed to know the good guys. But then it was too late, and I couldn't come out and say so and so was evil becaue then I might give away Remus, and Merlin would never revel himself, since he has no protection. <sigh> I had no idea how to play it.
Proclaim yourself Merlin and who you think the Evils are. If you had it right I would have been all over supporting you. :lol:
RMC

Post by RMC »

Remus West wrote:
RMC wrote:
Grundbegriff wrote:
Remus West wrote:
Proclaim yourself Merlin and who you think the Evils are. If you had it right I would have been all over supporting you. :lol:
And if I had it wrong and Molaire supported me and opposed you, then who should I trust? I had no way to know that. And I really had no idea who was good/bad. I was following your lead, but by the time I trusted you it was way to late. And I was afraid that I had tipped my hand as it was by supporting you in the way I did. I figured you would have gotten assassinated if I tried to come out as Merlin and anyone supported me. Especially too much so, as the only ones who KNEW anything were me, Merlin, and the two scanners, and all of team evil.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

I was teasing. I have no idea what I'd have done. This game seems to require everyone participate for Good to have a shot. Passive participation hurts team good a lot.
RMC

Post by RMC »

Remus West wrote:I was teasing. I have no idea what I'd have done. This game seems to require everyone participate for Good to have a shot. Passive participation hurts team good a lot.
Actually your thought did appeal to me, but I was not sure how to go about it. Declaring Merlin would be bad, as they would not believe me, right? But coming forth with the fact that I know who is Merlin and who is evil might not have been a bad play, right?

Just trying to think of other ways to have played it out.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Maybe. Did you have a list of "Evil" players you could have come out with early? IDK, there are way too many options to declare one the exact way to play it.