Invitation to Werewolf/Mafia Championship

This is the place for self-contained forum games

Moderator: Zaxxon

Thingyman

Invitation to Werewolf/Mafia Championship

Post by Thingyman »

Hi guys

Grundbegriff advised me to make a thread here. I really hope it's okay, otherwise of course feel free to delete it, I don't mean to do anything out of order :)

Invitation to The Werewolf/Mafia Championship Season 3

Hello fellow Werewolf/Mafia enthusiasts! :)

(Calling the game mafia hereafter, but it's the same game with different names, in case anyone is confused)

My name is Thingyman. I am making this post with the hopes that your community would be interested in participating in Season 3 of the Mafia Championship.

The Mafia Championship is an annual online tournament series that pits representatives from various forum Mafia communities against one another as they compete to determine the Internet’s greatest forum Mafia player. The representatives are officially and democratically chosen to be “Champions” by their respective communities.

Season 1 (2013-2014) featured 100+ reps from 45+ different communities, and the Season 2 (2015) boasted an even more impressive count of 70 different communities represented. The creator of Mafia himself (Dmitry Davidoff) has even supported and endorsed the series by previously offering to privately chat with the ultimate winner.

This year we’re expanding once again; 136 communities will be invited to participate, making this not only the biggest Mafia event ever, but also the largest cross-forum event in the history of the Internet.

Are you interested?

I am hoping very much that this all sounds exciting! If interested, I would need you all to name one representative to play on your community's behalf. How you decide this representative is completely up to you. To guarantee your community a spot in Season 3 of the Mafia Championship, I will need to know of your community's interest within the next 4 days (i.e. whether there is at least one volunteer). Following this, you will have until April 18th to name your representative. Additionally, it would be a very good idea to also name an alternate.

When deciding your nomination, please consider the following: You should of course be aiming to send one of your best guys. But more importantly this individual needs to be able to participate adequately in terms of activity. Be prepared for maybe upwards of 500 posts per 24 hours during the early stages of the game. The representative needs to not only be able to read all this, but should also at least be able to manage 10+ posts per day phase.

Season 3 Specifics

• 136 different communities are invited to participate. If some decline the invitation, I may opt to allow larger communities an additional nominee.
• 8 Qualifying Games will be played with 17 reps each.
• 2 reps advance to the Finale Game from each game based on post-game votes.
• 1 Wildcard Game will be played (Wildcards are decided by a jury consisting of former finalists), determining the 17th and final spot in the Finale. Runner-ups in this game will be first in line to replace any finalists who may have to drop out.

Season 3 Timeline & Important Dates

There will be 8 Qualifying Games, and these will take place in late April, May and June. Each game will probably last around 2-3 weeks. Your representative would sign up to play in just one of these games at any time that suits them best (I am sending out a Doodle). I.e. if your representative can’t play until early June, then that’s perfectly fine, he should just sign up for one of the last games.

In addition to this, it is also a priority to ensure as much as possible that all the reps in any given game has no prior history of playing with each other to ensure a level playing field (but I cannot 100% guarantee that this won’t happen).

Season 3 Game Design & Setup

For each season, we’ve changed it up. This time, we’re doing something new again!

The setup is called Matrix12 and is inspired by mafiascu m’s popular Matrix6 setup, if any of you are familiar with that. In short, the concept is that there are 12 different possible setups and the host randomizes which one is used. The reps know what setups are available, but not which one will be used!

I can link to the setup if a link is okay.

Regarding lynch mechanics: There will be a deadline each day phase, and the person with the most votes at the end of the day is lynched, unless a majority has already been reached before then, in which case the day ends prematurely.

Days will last 36 hours and nights 12 hours, meaning 48 hours (2 days) per game day. With one exception: The weekend (Friday, Saturday and Sunday) will be one game day (so day will be 60 hours and night 12 hours on weekends).
Remus West

Re: Invitation to Werewolf/Mafia Championship

Post by Remus West »

Sounds really fun but I wouldn't have the time to commit to it. If someone else here does it would be fun to read about their experience playing in a setting like that.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
bb2112
End of Days
Location: Knowledge! It is almost as important as money, luck, and family connections.

Post by bb2112 »

I wouldn't mind giving it a try, but if we can only send one rep, I would vote for Grund.

Grundbegriff 

That's no reason to cry. One cries because one is sad. For example, I cry because others are stupid, and that makes me sad.
Why would I stab an Oracle? Wait, what am I saying? Why wouldn't I stab an Oracle? - Belkar Bitterleaf
BCY4920 - You can suck it Johnny Angel.
Thingyman

Post by Thingyman »

Given that there seems to be at least one volunteer, I'll go ahead and lock down a spot for you guys, but you still have about a week to decide :)
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

I nominate  Scoop20906 

:pop:
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
bb2112
End of Days
Location: Knowledge! It is almost as important as money, luck, and family connections.

Post by bb2112 »

I would suggest (and if you don't like it, feel free to suggest something else. I'm easy.) we take a couple of days and throw out some nominations (or if people want to volunteer, that is cool too) and then vote on our one person. In order to be a viable candidate they have to agree to the rules set out in the OP and have the time to play.

The nominees will have to post here to let everyone know they are in. It doesn't count, say, if I nominate Grund, but he never replies to accept since he may not have the time or even the inclination to want to do this.

If we take volunteers and nominations (with acceptances) by Wed, then we can all vote by Friday and have our candidate prior to the weekend.

Does that seem acceptable to everyone?

Started a list:
Nominations/VolunteersAccepted
GrundbegriffNo
Scoop20906
RMC
MoliereYes
Last edited by bb2112 on Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
That's no reason to cry. One cries because one is sad. For example, I cry because others are stupid, and that makes me sad.
Why would I stab an Oracle? Wait, what am I saying? Why wouldn't I stab an Oracle? - Belkar Bitterleaf
stessier

Post by stessier »

Works for me. I nominate  Mara Jade...er RMC 

I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

bb2112 wrote:I would suggest (and if you don't like it, feel free to suggest something else. I'm easy.) we take a couple of days and throw out some nominations (or if people want to volunteer, that is cool too) and then vote on our one person. In order to be a viable candidate they have to agree to the rules set out in the OP and have the time to play.

The nominees will have to post here to let everyone know they are in. It doesn't count, say, if I nominate Grund, but he never replies to accept since he may not have the time or even the inclination to want to do this.

If we take volunteers and nominations (with acceptances) by Wed, then we can all vote by Friday and have our candidate prior to the weekend.

Does that seem acceptable to everyone?
Why are we supposed to trust you? For all we know you are with one of the other sites and you spent the last five years and 4268 posts trying to build our trust. Well it's not going to work! I know a wolf when I see one. :ninja:
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
bb2112
End of Days

Post by bb2112 »

It is like you have played werewolf with me before. I try to help the village and all I get is being accused of being evil. No good deed goes unpunished. :lol:
bb2112
End of Days

Post by bb2112 »

BTW, started a list in the post up above.
stessier

Post by stessier »

When Wednesday comes, we should either get Thingyman to turn this thread into a poll using the names we get, or start a new thread called VOTE NOW! with a poll - much easier to see who's leading.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

stessier wrote:When Wednesday comes, we should either get Thingyman to turn this thread into a poll using the names we get, or start a new thread called VOTE NOW! with a poll - much easier to see who's leading.
I think you're being optimistic on how many people will vote. I'm guessing there will be less than 10 votes cast.
stessier

Post by stessier »

I mean, anything over 3 at this point might be a bit surprising. :)
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

I'm sad to see we won't be unleashing Remus on the unsuspecting. I vote Grund if that's an option.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
bb2112
End of Days

Post by bb2112 »

At this point, getting a nominee to accept may be surprising.
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

Remus West wrote:Sounds really fun but I wouldn't have the time to commit to it. If someone else here does it would be fun to read about their experience playing in a setting like that.
I would like to associate myself with the remarks of my good friend, the senator from Village.

I appreciate the compliment of endorsements, but I'll be unable to participate. I'll watch with interest if we send a delegate.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Lots of People wrote: We should nominate El Guapo!
That is very flattering, everyone, but sadly I don't think that I have the time to do it.
Black Lives Matter.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

And this is what makes us a powerhouse and feared opponent in the forum championships. :cry:
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I guess the starting point is for anyone who wants to participate to post that they are "in". Then if we have 2 or more people, we can vote.
Black Lives Matter.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

El Guapo wrote:I guess the starting point is for anyone who wants to participate to post that they are "in". Then if we have 2 or more people, we can vote.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

#NeverMoliere
Black Lives Matter.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

El Guapo wrote:#NeverMoliere
:lol:

How about Morliere?
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Moliere wrote:
El Guapo wrote:#NeverMoliere
:lol:

How about Morliere?
Yeah, that guy's cool.
Black Lives Matter.
bb2112
End of Days

Post by bb2112 »

Updated.
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

SCOOP 

Is who i nominate...sure we could go with our super heavy, intuiting, logic cyborgs here.....but where would the fun be in that? Can you imagine scoop pulling off his inanity in groups...him zigging and then zagging right into a day 1 lynch! That would be coolness. The entertainment value would be ginormous. Everyone else is throwing out there heavy hitters, lets throw one our heavy hitters out there...of entertainment value....oh yeah!

(i am serious...scoop would bring the fun to fundamental WW games...he'd be the hell ya...in...uhm hell yeah!! He'd be the straw that stirs that overloaded drink full of logic dominating players.)
Bayraktar!!!!

Trump and the GOP; putting the banana in our Republic.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Newcastle wrote: SCOOP 

Is who i nominate...sure we could go with our super heavy, intuiting, logic cyborgs here.....but where would the fun be in that? Can you imagine scoop pulling off his inanity in groups...him zigging and then zagging right into a day 1 lynch! That would be coolness. The entertainment value would be ginormous. Everyone else is throwing out there heavy hitters, lets throw one our heavy hitters out there...of entertainment value....oh yeah!

(i am serious...scoop would bring the fun to fundamental WW games...he'd be the hell ya...in...uhm hell yeah!! He'd be the straw that stirs that overloaded drink full of logic dominating players.)
That was my thought too.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Never did get any hits on my efforts. :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's almost as if people are the problem.
bb2112
End of Days

Post by bb2112 »

Well since Moliere is the only one to say he wants to do it...

Moliere 

Moliere

Post by Moliere »

OO WW dried up really quick.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Good luck! We're all counting on you.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

stessier wrote:Good luck! We're all counting on you.
Don't bet the village on my success. :pop:
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Moliere wrote:
 Moliere 

That is exactly what a wolf would say.
Black Lives Matter.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

El Guapo wrote:
Moliere wrote:
 Moliere 

That is exactly what a wolf would say.
:shhh: They might be coming here to scout my previous games.
bb2112
End of Days

Post by bb2112 »

Moliere wrote:
Don't worry, we never do. :P
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

sorry, just seeing this thread now. I'd love to participate but do you REALLY think I am the best person to represent our group? I am TERRIBLE!
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

I fully support Moliere!! Go get them!!!!
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Moliere, not sure if we remembered to mention this earlier, but if you lose you will bring shame on our forum and be forced into exile.
Black Lives Matter.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

El Guapo wrote:Moliere, not sure if we remembered to mention this earlier, but if you lose you will bring shame on our forum and be forced into exile.
Uh.... :shifty:

What do I get if I win?
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Moliere wrote:
El Guapo wrote:Moliere, not sure if we remembered to mention this earlier, but if you lose you will bring shame on our forum and be forced into exile.
Uh.... :shifty:

What do I get if I win?
Dunno. Glory?
Black Lives Matter.