OBSOLETE -- [WW] Danger Zone! -- OBSOLETE

This is the place for self-contained forum games

Moderator: Zaxxon

El Guapo

Re: [WW] Danger Zone! (Archer) -- Day 2

Post by El Guapo »

Grundbegriff wrote:It's so funny that people demand explanations. If I did know something, then that would mean I'm either an Assassin or an ISIS Special. If either were true, why would I say? And if I didn't know something but simply had a hunch, how would that be different from what anyone else (not in the previously-mentioned groups) does?

I watched Moliere and developed a strong hunch that he was something. Those who have been around the werewolf block know that the spidey-sense tingles in response to lycanthropy or specialness in much the same way.

I would've stuck with Moliere despite his claim if a contesting Cheryl had arisen. But instead, it's either the case that Cheryl is dead or the case that Moliere is indeed Cheryl. As I have already remarked, faking Cheryl would be an adequate move but not an amazing one. So odds favor Moliere's Cherylitude.

When faced with new facts, I re-calibrate my analysis and act accordingly. What do you do?
Explanations add information for the village. People can find them persuasive or not, helping to inform their votes. Probably more importantly, it gives us information to mine later - e.g., "Grund said X on day 2, Y on day 3, and they don't quite gel." Moreover, wolves (unlike villagers) have to essentially fake analysis - they know who is a wolf and who is not, so they have to cook up some reason for their vote, and sometimes they don't do a great job and come across as fake, or as trying to seem insightful without actually being so.

On top of that, I often find that I'll start with an intuition, start to type up an explanation, and find as I am doing so that my intuition isn't standing up so well to actual analysis. So there's that too.
Black Lives Matter.
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

El Guapo wrote:Explanations add information for the village. People can find them persuasive or not, helping to inform their votes. Probably more importantly, it gives us information to mine later -
How often does going back to see what Bubba said actually prove decisive? Or even helpful? The problem is that there's no way to tell whether the person engaged in that sort of archeology has sincere motives.

People say a lot of things. What matters vastly more is what they do.
Moreover, wolves (unlike villagers) have to essentially fake analysis - they know who is a wolf and who is not, so they have to cook up some reason for their vote, and sometimes they don't do a great job and come across as fake, or as trying to seem insightful without actually being so.
One countermeasure is to perform genuine analysis but limit the damage that inferences thus drawn cause. Or so I hear.
On top of that, I often find that I'll start with an intuition, start to type up an explanation, and find as I am doing so that my intuition isn't standing up so well to actual analysis. So there's that too.
Yep. Sometimes, in the face of dim intuitions, we just have to pulse the blender a bit and see what happens.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Grundbegriff wrote:
El Guapo wrote:Moreover, wolves (unlike villagers) have to essentially fake analysis - they know who is a wolf and who is not, so they have to cook up some reason for their vote, and sometimes they don't do a great job and come across as fake, or as trying to seem insightful without actually being so.
One countermeasure is to perform genuine analysis but limit the damage that inferences thus drawn cause. Or so I hear.
Like El Guapo's analysis of you? :wink:
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Grundbegriff wrote:
El Guapo wrote:Explanations add information for the village. People can find them persuasive or not, helping to inform their votes. Probably more importantly, it gives us information to mine later -
How often does going back to see what Bubba said actually prove decisive? Or even helpful? The problem is that there's no way to tell whether the person engaged in that sort of archeology has sincere motives.

People say a lot of things. What matters vastly more is what they do.
Whew... reading this it doesn't sound like you are having much of a good time. I thought the fun of these games is deconstructing actions AND words of others.

I started out by going full silent. Then decided to "shake things up" by placing a vote and declaring it was for the good of all. Then followed that up by not providing any other rationale. After that vote and explanation provided to possibly out a special you meekly pulled up your flag and sauntered off. When questioned you when full Douglas Horton on us.

Enlarge Image

Now, I kind of just enjoyed going over your actions AND words just now and trying to judge "is this a sincere ISIS Grund" or "is this a Assassin Grund trying to twist out of the spotlight". I still don't know the answer but I'm dying to find out.
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906
RMC

Post by RMC »

Hey guys.... I had hoped that you would back down on this bad vote...

Can we take the votes off me, I am a special.
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

RMC wrote:Hey guys.... I had hoped that you would back down on this bad vote...

Can we take the votes off me, I am a special.

Did we save our day 1 screwups for day 2?

A little leery that we have apparently hit 2 specials in a row today. We didn't pressure Moliere too much on it. Now RMC just states he's special.

To be safe I will withdraw for now:  withdraw RMC 

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Holman

Post by Holman »

Vote Tally:

(1) Moliere: RMC
(4) RMC: bb2112, Triggercut, Grundbegriff, Vorret
(3) Grundbegriff: Moliere, Scoop, Remus West

Not voting: El Guapo, Lassr

Majority is 6
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Lassr wrote:We didn't pressure Moliere too much on it.
I was at n-1. How long should I have waited?
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

So now's the part where we do our increasingly traditional dance about which special RMC is claiming? At least I can copy-paste the reasons why it's a good idea instead of writing them out again.
Black Lives Matter.
Vorret

Post by Vorret »

El Guapo wrote:So now's the part where we do our increasingly traditional dance about which special RMC is claiming? At least I can copy-paste the reasons why it's a good idea instead of writing them out again.
Maybe he claimed special but they need to do a caucus in the wolf forum to make sure he spoof the right role.

Meh
Isgrimnur wrote:
His name makes me think of a small, burrowing rodent anyway.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Moliere wrote:
Lassr wrote:We didn't pressure Moliere too much on it.
I was at n-1. How long should I have waited?
No, I mean you just said your death would help the assassins and no one seemed to bat an eye and accepted it, so I wonder if RMC saw how easy it was for you to get away with so little info and he is trying it also or maybe we did actually out two specials in a row, it would not be the first time.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Well, that's true. Moliere was very suggestive about his role so I would expect if someone would counter then they would.

Do we want to trust RMC is being honest so we give him a chance to do something during the night?

I can't believe I am saying this but I think it would he hood to see if he survives the night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

triggercut

Post by triggercut »

Withdraw RMC 

"It's my manner, sir. It looks insubordinate, but it isn't, really."
triggercut

Post by triggercut »

A couple of questions:

1. Is Cheryl the only special who gives the assassins a bonus on death?

2. Would Cheryl even out herself at this point to hang Moliere?

I mean, think about it. If you're an assassin and condition #1 applies and Cheryl is the only special who gives them a bonus, would they not be willing to trade one of their own to have Cheryl come forward and give them a free scan in trade for whatever Moliere is? I mean, maybe, right? Especially if it looks like Moliere is going to be today's execution, right?

Just seems really weird to me that Cheryl would say she was alive and announce it to the group like this, or in this manner. Moliere could just say "I'm a special" like RMC did, and that's that. If Moliere says he's Cheryl, he's pretty much signed up for tomorrow's execution by pretend revealing herself and then surviving the night.

I think he's full of beans. He's on team bad and trolling for folks to out themselves.

If you're one of our specials, don't do that!

Moliere 

With prejudice, btw.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Vote Tally:

(2) Moliere: RMC, Triggercut
(3) RMC: bb2112, Grundbegriff, Vorret
(3) Grundbegriff: Moliere, Scoop, Remus West

Majority is 6
Holman

Post by Holman »

[Incidentally, at 5:00 a.m. tomorrow I'm off to attend a heavily-scheduled wedding weekend on the other side of the country. I'm unlikely to have much internet access Friday-Sunday.

Apologies for the inconvenience. I know weekends are slow, but if you all do come to a decision and I seem to be AWOL, that's why.]
Vorret

Post by Vorret »

triggercut wrote:A couple of questions:

1. Is Cheryl the only special who gives the assassins a bonus on death?

2. Would Cheryl even out herself at this point to hang Moliere?

I mean, think about it. If you're an assassin and condition #1 applies and Cheryl is the only special who gives them a bonus, would they not be willing to trade one of their own to have Cheryl come forward and give them a free scan in trade for whatever Moliere is? I mean, maybe, right? Especially if it looks like Moliere is going to be today's execution, right?

Just seems really weird to me that Cheryl would say she was alive and announce it to the group like this, or in this manner. Moliere could just say "I'm a special" like RMC did, and that's that. If Moliere says he's Cheryl, he's pretty much signed up for tomorrow's execution by pretend revealing herself and then surviving the night.

I think he's full of beans. He's on team bad and trolling for folks to out themselves.

If you're one of our specials, don't do that!

Moliere 

With prejudice, btw.
THink it explains why RMC stayed on Moliere?
Isgrimnur wrote:
Vorret

Post by Vorret »

wd RMC 

Moliere 

Let's put some pressure up on this baby
Isgrimnur wrote:
triggercut

Post by triggercut »

I mean, either Cheryl is dead and they somehow figured out (or made a really good, sorta desperate guess) they got her, or she's alive and still cloaked....

...But if Moliere is Cheryl, that's a horrid misplay of that role, I'd think.

With Katya still lurking and likely still holding her power to ignore Lana, there's no way to protect Cheryl so she's going to die anyway; it's sticking a big target on your forehead. Moliere saying specifically that he *is* Cheryl is just a baddie trying to out as many ISIS specials as he can.

He's guilty.
triggercut

Post by triggercut »

El Guapo wrote: HOWEVER, I just realized that they could know, insofar as any of the deceased so far could have been Cheryl, in which case they would know that Cheryl is dead, and would also know the role of another villager.

So, if the wolves got lucky and hit Cheryl already, then they would know that they could claim Cheryl with no risk of getting disputed.
Also just saw this. This is how Moliere would know that it's safe to claim to be Cheryl.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Vorret wrote: wd RMC 

Moliere 

I am confused about the notion of "putting pressure" on Moliere. He's already claimed a role, so regardless of whether he's a wolf, he can't now change his claim, nor could he offer more information.

This is weird.
Black Lives Matter.
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

triggercut wrote:
El Guapo wrote: HOWEVER, I just realized that they could know, insofar as any of the deceased so far could have been Cheryl, in which case they would know that Cheryl is dead, and would also know the role of another villager.

So, if the wolves got lucky and hit Cheryl already, then they would know that they could claim Cheryl with no risk of getting disputed.
Also just saw this. This is how Moliere would know that it's safe to claim to be Cheryl.
Excellent sleuthing!!!

accuse moliere 

Vorret

Post by Vorret »

El Guapo wrote:
Vorret wrote: wd RMC 

Moliere 

I am confused about the notion of "putting pressure" on Moliere. He's already claimed a role, so regardless of whether he's a wolf, he can't now change his claim, nor could he offer more information.

This is weird.
Not on moliere, on the vote
Isgrimnur wrote:
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

triggercut wrote:I mean, either Cheryl is dead and they somehow figured out (or made a really good, sorta desperate guess) they got her, or she's alive and still cloaked....

With Katya still lurking and likely still holding her power to ignore Lana, there's no way to protect Cheryl so she's going to die anyway; it's sticking a big target on your forehead. Moliere saying specifically that he *is* Cheryl is just a baddie trying to out as many ISIS specials as he can.

He's guilty.
You're over thinking it. I hinted at my Special role to avoid the RMC scenario of people wondering whether to believe him and what role he might have. I figure it's better to die tonight or tomorrow then to have the village lynch another innocent today. Cheryl's role says "If you are eliminated". Does this mean either lynched or killed at night?
Holman

Post by Holman »

Vote Tally:

(4) Moliere: RMC, Triggercut, Vorret, Scoop
(2) RMC: bb2112, Grundbegriff
(2) Grundbegriff: Moliere, Remus West

Majority is 6
triggercut

Post by triggercut »

Moliere wrote:
triggercut wrote:I mean, either Cheryl is dead and they somehow figured out (or made a really good, sorta desperate guess) they got her, or she's alive and still cloaked....

He's guilty.
You're over thinking it. I hinted at my Special role to avoid the RMC scenario of people wondering whether to believe him and what role he might have. I figure it's better to die tonight or tomorrow then to have the village lynch another innocent today. Cheryl's role says "If you are eliminated". Does this mean either lynched or killed at night?
Good one! :lol:

So why, Fake Cheryl, didn't you just say you were a special instead of picking for yourself the one role we can't verify you for in the open?

Your excuse is nonsense word salad that means nothing.

You aren't Cheryl.

You're Team Badguy.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Moliere wrote:Cheryl's role says "If you are eliminated". Does this mean either lynched or killed at night?
A day lynch, a night assassination, and Archer's rampage ability are all eliminations.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

triggercut wrote:Your excuse is nonsense word salad that means nothing.

You aren't Cheryl.

You're Team Badguy.
And when I come back as Cheryl what will you do? Will you apologize profusely to my dead body and to the village that you have undermined? Will you self lynch for all the harm you have caused?
bb2112
End of Days
Location: Knowledge! It is almost as important as money, luck, and family connections.

Post by bb2112 »

triggercut wrote:
Moliere wrote:

He's guilty.

So why, Fake Cheryl, didn't you just say you were a special instead of picking for yourself the one role we can't verify you for in the open?

You aren't Cheryl.

You're Team Badguy.
Sorry, I have been in Mexico this week with limited OO time. So if I have the gist of what you are saying, Moliere is a bad guy and not Cheryl, and would know to spoof Cheryl because he knows the real Cheryl is dead because the bad guys get notified of an active ISIS agent upon Cheryl's death. Therefore either CR or Unagi had to be Cheryl. Do I have this right?
That's no reason to cry. One cries because one is sad. For example, I cry because others are stupid, and that makes me sad.
Why would I stab an Oracle? Wait, what am I saying? Why wouldn't I stab an Oracle? - Belkar Bitterleaf
BCY4920 - You can suck it Johnny Angel.
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

triggercut wrote:...But if Moliere is Cheryl, that's a horrid misplay of that role, I'd think.
People do weird stuff sometimes-- especially under duress.
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

triggercut wrote:

Wait-- the Cheryl power is triggered if they "eliminate" her, not just if we hang her?

In that case, of course they could safely emulate Cheryl, provided they had previously offed her.

Withdraw RMC 

Moliere 

Holman

Post by Holman »

Vote Tally:

(5) Moliere: RMC, Triggercut, Vorret, Scoop, Grundbegriff
(1) RMC: bb2112
(2) Grundbegriff: Moliere, Remus West

Majority is 6

Moliere is at n-1.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Grundbegriff wrote:
triggercut wrote:

Wait-- the Cheryl power is triggered if they "eliminate" her, not just if we hang her?

In that case, of course they could safely emulate Cheryl, provided they had previously offed her.
hmmm, that is entirely possible, and no matters the odds I always come back to "remember Mara Jade"

Black Lives Matter
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Sigh. Where is Newcastle when we need him?

Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

Scoop20906 wrote:Sigh. Where is Newcastle when we need him?

:binky: :pop: :binky:

(fyi while Holman is gone, I will keep up in the thread and provide updated vote counts. I volunteered my services after seeing his attendance of a red wedding :o )
Bayraktar!!!!

Trump and the GOP; putting the banana in our Republic.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Why are we trying to lynch Moliere before anyone even bothers to ask RMC for more information?
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Remus West wrote:Why are we trying to lynch Moliere before anyone even bothers to ask RMC for more information?
triggercut

Post by triggercut »

bb2112 wrote:
triggercut wrote:
Moliere wrote:

He's guilty.

You aren't Cheryl.

You're Team Badguy.
Sorry, I have been in Mexico this week with limited OO time. So if I have the gist of what you are saying, Moliere is a bad guy and not Cheryl, and would know to spoof Cheryl because he knows the real Cheryl is dead because the bad guys get notified of an active ISIS agent upon Cheryl's death. Therefore either CR or Unagi had to be Cheryl. Do I have this right?
That pretty much covers it. Except for my strong opinion that an actual Cheryl wouldn't reveal that specific identity to the group in that manner because of Katya's power. I think that's probably why whoever the real Cheryl was between Unagi or CR, they went down silently, trying to lay low.
triggercut

Post by triggercut »

Remus West wrote:Why are we trying to lynch Moliere before anyone even bothers to ask RMC for more information?
Why do you want him to de-cloak more fully, Katya? ;)
Holman

Post by Holman »

OK, I'm out the door. I will have spotty internet access (if that) until Monday, actually. I apologize for the delay.

Good luck!