Let's Play Together: GM'd Battletech via Megamek

This is the place for self-contained forum games

Moderator: Zaxxon

NickAragua

Re: Let's Play Together: GM'd Battletech via Megamek

Post by NickAragua »

You're not too far off the mark, but you forgot the facing change and going through two woods.

Turn summary:
Gbasden jumps from hex 2413 to 2116 and opens up on the prominent northeastern laser turret with all his lasers, holding the LRM/10. The +4 heat makes the cockpit a little toasty, but no ill effects. He hits with about half his shots, as jumping is hard.

Isgrimnur runs over to the north of the hill. To his dismay (and, uh, my surprise), he can still clearly see the large laser turret. He opens up on the medium laser turret that Gbasden is targeting with a PPC and LRM, giving the large laser turret a spare medium laser. The PPC hit delivers a solid static charge to the crew of the medium laser turret, forcing everyone in there to take a turn to pick themselves up off the ground and stop shaking uncontrollably.

El Guapo jumps to the east side of the hill to the east of the base, opening up on an AC/5 turret with a large laser, medium laser and LRM/5, hitting with everything.

MadMarcus runs into an indentation, dodging fire from the large laser turret in the northwest corner of the enemy base. His large laser requires almost no effort to hit the medium laser turret, since all the woods are below the sight line (turret's pretty high up).

The Maxim moves up to the same hillside as Isgrimnur and opens up with its LRM and SRM launchers on the poor medium laser turret, landing solid hits.

The turrets fire back ineffectually, but the one powered-up Scorpion manages to ding El Guapo's center torso with its AC/5 turret. The medium laser turret is pretty beat up, with the building missing large chunks (27 CF remaining). El Guapo's target is holding pretty strong at 77 CF.

Raw firing info:
Spoiler:
Weapons fire for Thunderbolt TDR-5SE #2 (1st Octopus Overlords)
    Large Laser at Hex 1614 of Building #19005728 (Collapse); needs 5, rolls 7 : hits.

Heavy Standard Building #19005728 absorbs 8 points of damage.

Medium Laser at Hex 1614 of Building #19005728 (Collapse); needs 7, rolls 10 : hits.

Heavy Standard Building #19005728 absorbs 5 points of damage.

Medium Laser at Hex 1614 of Building #19005728 (Collapse); needs 7, rolls 5 : misses

Medium Laser at Hex 1614 of Building #19005728 (Collapse); needs 7, rolls 3 : misses

Weapons fire for Vindicator VND-1R (1st Octopus Overlords)
    PPC at Hex 1614 of Building #19005728 (Collapse); needs 4, rolls 7 : hits.

Heavy Standard Building #19005728 absorbs 10 points of damage.
        Damage threshold exceeded. Possible critical hit!
            Crew stunned.

LRM 5 at Hex 1614 of Building #19005728 (Collapse); needs 4, rolls 12 : 3 missile(s) hit.

Heavy Standard Building #19005728 absorbs 3 points of damage.

Medium Laser at Hex 0914 of Building #490799011 (Collapse); needs 7, rolls 8 : hits.

Heavy Standard Building #490799011 absorbs 5 points of damage.

Weapons fire for Griffin GRF-1S (1st Octopus Overlords)
    Large Laser at Hex 1221 of Building #1177845181 (Collapse); needs 5, rolls 11 : hits.

Hardened Standard Building #1177845181 absorbs 8 points of damage.

Medium Laser at Hex 1221 of Building #1177845181 (Collapse); needs 7, rolls 10 : hits.

Hardened Standard Building #1177845181 absorbs 5 points of damage.

LRM 5 at Hex 1221 of Building #1177845181 (Collapse); needs 5, rolls 6 : 4 missile(s) hit.

Hardened Standard Building #1177845181 absorbs 4 points of damage.

Weapons fire for AC/5 Turret (Triple) (Magistracy of Canopus)
    AC/5 at Griffin GRF-1S (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 10, rolls 6 : misses

AC/5 at Griffin GRF-1S (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 10, rolls 8 : misses

AC/5 at Griffin GRF-1S (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 10, rolls 7 : misses

Weapons fire for Large Laser Turret (Single) (Magistracy of Canopus)
    Large Laser at Firestarter FS9-K2 (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 9, rolls 6 : misses

Weapons fire for Firestarter FS9-K2 (1st Octopus Overlords)
    Large Laser at Hex 1614 of Building #19005728 (Collapse); needs 3, rolls 5 : hits.

Weapons fire for Medium Laser Turret (Dual) (Magistracy of Canopus)
    Medium Laser at Thunderbolt TDR-5SE #2 (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 8, rolls 5 : misses

Medium Laser at Thunderbolt TDR-5SE #2 (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 8, rolls 7 : misses

Weapons fire for Scorpion Light Tank (Standard) #2 (Magistracy of Canopus)
    AC/5 at Griffin GRF-1S (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 8, rolls 8 : hits (using Partial cover (horizontal 50%) table) CT
        Griffin GRF-1S (1st Octopus Overlords) takes 5 damage to CT.
            15 Armor remaining.

Weapons fire for Maxim Heavy Hover Transport (Standard) (1st Octopus Overlords)
    LRM 5 at Hex 1614 of Building #19005728 (Collapse); needs 2, rolls 11 : 3 missile(s) hit.

LRM 5 at Hex 1614 of Building #19005728 (Collapse); needs 2, rolls 10 : 3 missile(s) hit.

SRM 6 at Hex 1614 of Building #19005728 (Collapse); needs 4, rolls 4 : 4 missile(s) hit.

Most of the vehicle crews finish buttoning up and powering up their vehicles, with only one of the Saracen hover tanks and the Skulker "Wheeled Scout Tank" still with their pants around their ankles. The Saracen peels off for high ground. A Scorpion guns it a little too hard and slips off the tarmac, almost falling off the cliff. The "unpredictable movement" makes the little tank a little harder to track, however. The rest of the vehicles scramble to better view points. Here's what it looks like (one version with movement vectors, one without):

Enlarge Image
Enlarge Image

Beta lance, place your movement and firing orders.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

To his dismay (and, uh, my surprise), he can still clearly see the large laser turret.
How? If I'm standing on Level 1, my LOS starts at level 3. The large turret states it's at level 5, and a center-to center line between us takes it through the hilltop level 7.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Since the Pegasus tank moved right up next to me, do I get a chance to kick it?
Black Lives Matter.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Rotate right, forward one, rotate left, forward two.

In the unlikely event that hiding behind the hill does not mask me from the large turret, that will be my target. Else, we will continue to hammer the medium.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Isgrimnur wrote:
To his dismay (and, uh, my surprise), he can still clearly see the large laser turret.
How? If I'm standing on Level 1, my LOS starts at level 3. The large turret states it's at level 5, and a center-to center line between us takes it through the hilltop level 7.
I looked again, and it's a little hard to see, but the turret is on a building that's on a hill. So, we're talking level 3 terrain, plus building of height 5, for a total of level 8.
El Guapo wrote:Since the Pegasus tank moved right up next to me, do I get a chance to kick it?
Nope, physical phase comes immediately after firing phase. This is turn 2, movement phase. Also, it's one height above your base height, so you can only punch it.

I wouldn't advise standing still to try to do that though.
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Ohhh, so the vehicles that have moved on the new map have already moved this turn (turn 2).
Black Lives Matter.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Yep. To simplify management, I elected to have the OpFor totally lose initiative. Otherwise, I'd have to process player movement one at a time.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Well, let's see if we can't take a few levels off, then.

:violence-uzi:
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

ok then, I'm going to jump to 2117, facing southwest. Going to focus shooting at the LRM tank at 1617 unless the odds of hitting another powered-up vehicle are materially better. Will then punch the Saracen tank with my left arm.
Black Lives Matter.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Jump to 1613 facing south. Large laser at the turret at 0917. Both small lasers at the turret at 1614. I'll kick the turret if it is still standing when we get to that stage. That's enough heat; I'll hold off on the flamer.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Madmarcus wrote:Jump to 1613 facing south. Large laser at the turret at 0917. Both small lasers at the turret at 1614. I'll kick the turret if it is still standing when we get to that stage. That's enough heat; I'll hold off on the flamer.
FYI, you will not be able to kick the turret from 1613, as the bottom of that hex is level 0, while the turret building at 1614 starts at level 1. I also don't believe you have line of sight to the turret at 0917, as the brown building in 1414 blocks it: the building's roof is at level 3 (1 hex level + 2 building height) and the turret's roof height is also 3.
Black Lives Matter
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Ok, scratch that then. I was looking at the hex center to hex center line (1613 to 0914 which misses the brown building hex but oh well. I'll think for a bit as I don't really want to get into the LOS of the vehicles even in the heavy woods hex.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Yeah, 0914 you can hit no problem.
Black Lives Matter
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Oops, I mistyped then. Back to jumping to 1613 facing south. Use the large laser on the turret at 0914, use the flamer on the turret in front of me and save one arm to punch that same turret if needed (1614).
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

I think I'll jump to 1919 and use my 3 medium lasers on the vehicle in 1617. That would be 13 heat, right, letting me bleed off some of the excess from last round?
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

The Saracen whizzes right up to El Guapo's landing spot and pelts him with SRMs, one of them going through a weak spot in the center torso armor, blowing apart a jump jet and damaging the gyro. El Guapo manages to keep upright, however, and retaliates by punching the vehicle - the crew is rattled around and stunned. Combined fire from Isgrimnur, Madmarcus and the Maxim brings down the medium laser turret building. The large laser turret operator draws a perfect bead on MadMarcus and dings the mech with a headshot. The armor holds, though the mechwarrior is knocked around some. Gbasden scores a minor hit on the Scorpion right next to him. The rest of weapons fire is mostly ineffective, although Gbasden notes a large number of infantry-launched LRMs whizzing by.

The Large Laser turret has 67 CF remaining.

Raw firing data. Now includes heat phase for better orientation.
Spoiler:
Weapon Attack Phase
-------------------

Weapons fire for Hover Assault Infantry Johnston Industries Rapid Response Force #2 (Magistracy of Canopus)
    LRM Launcher (FarShot) at Thunderbolt TDR-5SE #2 (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 12, rolls 5 : misses

Flamer at Hex 1614 of Building #19005728 (Collapse), the shot is an automatic hit (Targeting adjacent building.), rolls 5 : hits.

Heavy Standard Building #19005728 absorbs 2 points of damage.

Large Laser at Hex 0914 of Building #490799011 (Collapse); needs 6, rolls 6 : hits.

Heavy Standard Building #490799011 absorbs 8 points of damage.

Weapons fire for Saracen Medium Hover Tank (Standard) (Magistracy of Canopus)
    SRM 2 at Griffin GRF-1S (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 7, rolls 8 : 2 missile(s) hit.

Griffin GRF-1S (1st Octopus Overlords) takes 2 damage to RT.
            18 Armor remaining.

Griffin GRF-1S (1st Octopus Overlords) takes 2 damage to CT (critical).
            13 Armor remaining.
            Critical hit on CT. Roll is 10; 2 locations.
            CRITICAL HIT on Jump Jet.
            CRITICAL HIT on Standard Gyro.

SRM 2 at Griffin GRF-1S (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 7, rolls 7 : 2 missile(s) hit.

Griffin GRF-1S (1st Octopus Overlords) takes 2 damage to CT.
            11 Armor remaining.

Griffin GRF-1S (1st Octopus Overlords) takes 2 damage to LA.
            12 Armor remaining.

SRM 2 at Griffin GRF-1S (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 7, rolls 9 : 2 missile(s) hit.

Griffin GRF-1S (1st Octopus Overlords) takes 2 damage to RL.
            16 Armor remaining.

Griffin GRF-1S (1st Octopus Overlords) takes 2 damage to RT.
            16 Armor remaining.

Weapons fire for Scorpion Light Tank (Standard) (Magistracy of Canopus)
    AC/5 at Vindicator VND-1R (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 12, rolls 7 : misses

Medium Laser at Scorpion Light Tank (Standard) #2 (Magistracy of Canopus); needs 8, rolls 4 : misses

Medium Laser at Scorpion Light Tank (Standard) #2 (Magistracy of Canopus); needs 8, rolls 6 : misses

Medium Laser at Scorpion Light Tank (Standard) #2 (Magistracy of Canopus); needs 8, rolls 9 : hits (using Right Side table) RS
        Scorpion Light Tank (Standard) #2 (Magistracy of Canopus) takes 5 damage to RS.
            6 Armor remaining.

Weapons fire for Scorpion Light Tank (ML) (Magistracy of Canopus)
    Medium Laser at Thunderbolt TDR-5SE #2 (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 10, rolls 7 : misses

Checking for accidental fire; needs 3 or below, rolls 8 : no fire..

Medium Laser at Thunderbolt TDR-5SE #2 (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 10, rolls 7 : misses

Checking for accidental fire; needs 3 or below, rolls 9 : no fire..

Weapons fire for Scorpion Light Tank (LRM) (Magistracy of Canopus)
    LRM 5 at Vindicator VND-1R (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 9, rolls 2 : misses

LRM 10 at Vindicator VND-1R (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 9, rolls 4 : misses

Weapons fire for Pegasus Scout Hover Tank (Standard) (Magistracy of Canopus)
    Medium Laser at Thunderbolt TDR-5SE #2 (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 14, rolls 8 : misses

Checking for accidental fire; needs 3 or below, rolls 3 : possible fire.
        Needs 9 [7 (Medium Laser) + 2 (accidental)] to ignite, rolls 7

SRM 6 at Thunderbolt TDR-5SE #2 (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 14, rolls 8 : misses

Checking for accidental fire; needs 3 or below, rolls 5 : no fire..

SRM 6 at Thunderbolt TDR-5SE #2 (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 14, rolls 2 : misses

Checking for accidental fire; needs 3 or below, rolls 6 : no fire..

PPC at Hex 1614 of Building #19005728 (Collapse); needs 4, rolls 9 : hits.

Heavy Standard Building #19005728 absorbs 10 points of damage.
            Crew stunned.

LRM 5 at Hex 1614 of Building #19005728 (Collapse); needs 4, rolls 10 : 2 missile(s) hit.

Heavy Standard Building #19005728 absorbs 2 points of damage.

Medium Laser at Hex 1614 of Building #19005728 (Collapse); needs 6, rolls 5 : misses

AC/5 at Griffin GRF-1S (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 8, rolls 4 : misses

AC/5 at Griffin GRF-1S (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 8, rolls 7 : misses

AC/5 at Griffin GRF-1S (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 8, rolls 8 : hits LT
        Griffin GRF-1S (1st Octopus Overlords) takes 5 damage to LT.
            15 Armor remaining.

Large Laser at Firestarter FS9-K2 (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 7, rolls 9 : hits HD
        Firestarter FS9-K2 (1st Octopus Overlords) takes 8 damage to HD.
            1 Armor remaining.

Pilot of Firestarter FS9-K2 (1st Octopus Overlords) "Private Shi-Wen Xú" takes 1 damage (1 total hits).
        Pilot of Firestarter FS9-K2 (1st Octopus Overlords) "Private Shi-Wen Xú" needs a 3 to stay conscious. Rolls 9 : successful!

LRM 5 at Hex 1614 of Building #19005728 (Collapse); needs 2, rolls 7 : 3 missile(s) hit.

LRM 5 at Hex 1614 of Building #19005728 (Collapse); needs 2, rolls 3 : 3 missile(s) hit.

SRM 6 at Hex 1614 of Building #19005728 (Collapse); needs 4, rolls 8 : 4 missile(s) hit.

BUILDING DESTROYED

Weapons fire for Scorpion Light Tank (Standard) #2 (Magistracy of Canopus)
    AC/5 at Griffin GRF-1S (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 9, rolls 7 : misses

Machine Gun at Thunderbolt TDR-5SE #2 (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 13, rolls 2 : misses
        Checking for accidental fire; needs 3 or below, rolls 10 : no fire..

Large Laser at Scorpion Light Tank (LRM) (Magistracy of Canopus); needs 9, rolls 6 : misses

LRM 5 at Hex 0914 of Building #490799011 (Collapse); needs 6, rolls 11 : 3 missile(s) hit.

Heavy Standard Building #490799011 absorbs 3 points of damage.

Medium Laser at Saracen Medium Hover Tank (Standard) (Magistracy of Canopus); needs 10, rolls 5 : misses

Building #19005728 collapses due to damage.
*** Medium Laser Turret (Dual) (Magistracy of Canopus) DESTROYED by building collapse! ***

Griffin GRF-1S (1st Octopus Overlords) must make 1 piloting skill roll(s) (gyro hit).
The base target is 4 [4 (Base piloting skill)].
    Roll #1, (4 (Base piloting skill) + 3 (gyro hit)); needs 7, rolls 9 : succeeds.

Physical Attacks for Griffin GRF-1S (1st Octopus Overlords)
Punches Saracen Medium Hover Tank (Standard) (Magistracy of Canopus); needs 9, rolls 11 : hit.
Saracen Medium Hover Tank (Standard) (Magistracy of Canopus) takes 6 damage to RS (Critical).
14 armor remaining.
Critical hit on RS. Roll is 8; 1 location.
        Crew Stunned.

Heat Phase
-------------------
Thunderbolt TDR-5SE #2 (1st Octopus Overlords) gains 13 heat, sinks 17 heat and is now at 0 heat.
Vindicator VND-1R (1st Octopus Overlords) gains 17 heat, sinks 16 heat and is now at 2 heat.
Griffin GRF-1S (1st Octopus Overlords) gains 17 heat, sinks 16 heat and is now at 3 heat.
Firestarter FS9-K2 (1st Octopus Overlords) gains 13 heat, sinks 11 heat and is now at 2 heat.
The Saracen and Skulker remain parked as the crew continue fumbling around with their zippers and operator authentication systems (aka car keys). Most of the vehicles shuffle around ineffectually (the area where they were parked was an ok place to park them for maintenance but isn't the best vehicle terrain). Most wind up with 0 or 1 movement mods.

Enlarge Image
Enlarge Image

The Saracen hovering over the lake is stunned, meaning it can't fire weapons this turn.

FYI, damaged gyro means that running or jumping requires a +3 difficulty piloting skill roll (so, 7 in El Guapo's case).

"We're waitin' on orders, commander." chimes in the Maxim driver.

Beta lance, place your movement orders. Optionally, you may nominate a building for the Maxim to attempt to search.

I'll update the "mechwarrior lineup" post at the beginning of the thread with current mech status.
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

What's up with me and crappy center torso armor?

Anyhow, I guess I couldn't fire at any of the vehicles like I had wanted to?
Black Lives Matter.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

You did, but you missed.

edit: 9 to hit, rolled 6. The medium laser shots would have been worse.
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Ah, missed that in the weapons fire readout.

Hmmm...this is less than ideal.
Black Lives Matter.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

My rotation was meant to be more of a clockwise rotation than facing to the right side of the board. Robo Rally verbiage stuck in my head. I'll try to be clearer in the future.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Isgrimnur wrote:My rotation was meant to be more of a clockwise rotation than facing to the right side of the board. Robo Rally verbiage stuck in my head. I'll try to be clearer in the future.
Nah, it's my bad. I mixed up right and left.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Put me in the pond at 0809. Should be:

1) Facing Change
2) Level movement to 1008
3-4) Up 1 level to 0909
5-6) Down and into water at 0809.

Firing to take down the heavy laser tower.

My early thoughts are that I don't want that Maxim moving into town before we reduce some of the threats. The current location should keep it masked against everything except my target.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

That's 7 mp (facing change 1, move with elevation change 2 ... repeat two more times), you've got 6. You could jump in there (requiring a 3+ PSR for entering water), but the level 5 hex directly adjacent to your mech would block LOS on the laser turret.

Right now, the Maxim doesn't have line of sight on anything because it's directly adjacent to a higher level hex in the way.
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Kind of at a loss on what to do. To be clear, I can now only jump 4 spaces, and jumping (or running) requires a 7+ roll on 2d6, or else I fall down?

Also I assume that the roll is per running / jumping action, not per hex moved while running / jumping, right?
Black Lives Matter.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

1) Face 1008
2) Face 1007
3-4) Move to 907
5-6) Face and move into 807

No level changes, LLT in main arc.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

El Guapo wrote:Kind of at a loss on what to do. To be clear, I can now only jump 4 spaces, and jumping (or running) requires a 7+ roll on 2d6, or else I fall down?

Also I assume that the roll is per running / jumping action, not per hex moved while running / jumping, right?
Correct and correct.

I would run to the woods in the south and unload on the Saracen while it can't fire back. If you take the risk on running, you could run two hexes down and be out of line of sight of most of the enemy vehicles.
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

NickAragua wrote:
El Guapo wrote:Kind of at a loss on what to do. To be clear, I can now only jump 4 spaces, and jumping (or running) requires a 7+ roll on 2d6, or else I fall down?

Correct and correct.

I would run to the woods in the south and unload on the Saracen while it can't fire back. If you take the risk on running, you could run two hexes down and be out of line of sight of most of the enemy vehicles.
Sure, I'll do that.
Black Lives Matter.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Isgrimnur wrote:1) Face 1008
2) Face 1007
3-4) Move to 907
5-6) Face and move into 807

No level changes, LLT in main arc.
You'll need to torso twist to fire your torso guns but that works just fine.
Black Lives Matter
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Do LRMs have better effect on infantry than lasers do?

Why don't we have the Maxim head for 1014 and we can focus on getting that laser turret down?

I'll jump to 1722, shoot the medium lasers at the tank in 1621 and put a boot into it for good measure, and fire the LRMs at either the hover assault infantry in 0915 or the laser turret in 0914, whichever would be most beneficial.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Missiles do a little more damage to infantry, but it's still "weapon damage / 5", so any attacks against infantry entrenched in those buildings are unlikely to do more than 1 damage to the infantry itself.

Also, thumbs up on the sight line management.
Black Lives Matter
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

I really want to take a shot at the hover tank over water but that leaves me in a fairly exposed position. I believe I can run to 1413 facing SW to shelter behind the building. Large laser at LLT.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Madmarcus: while carrying out your move, your orders placed you within LOS of just about every enemy unit, with 7+ to hit odds, so I moved you to a different location. That building only rises up to height 3 and thus doesn't provide concealment from the enemy units on the hill. Sorry about that - I didn't notice the "issue" until I'd started processing orders.

Turn 3:
Isgrimnur moves out of line of sight of the LRM fire from "vehicle hill" and opens up on the large laser turret. He narrowly avoids the turret's last shot, and then his PPC finds its mark, destroying the turret itself.

El Guapo displaces himself to the south. The gyro makes his mech wobble like a frat kid after a keg stand, but he stays upright and unloads on the disoriented Saracen. One of his lasers punctures a motive element, and the hovercraft sinks into the water.

Gbasden jumps to the south side of "vehicle hill" and lights up the LRM equipped Scropion. The first two large lasers strip the armor off the right side, then the last laser cores the vehicle out entirely. He eats two AC/5 rounds from the turret on the south side of the base, but his armor holds.

Madmarcus looks a little more carefully at the building he's considering using for cover and concludes that it's not tall enough to provide said cover from any of the vehicles on "vehicle hill". Instead, he jumps out of LOS to the south, avoiding the rubble and the tracking turrets of several tanks and nails the large laser turret building with the large laser, further evaporating the already-destroyed laser turret.

The Maxim gives a "roger that" and advances to the west of the large laser turret, opening up on it with everything at point blank range. Normally, you wouldn't be firing LRMs like that, but it's not that hard to hit a stationary building right in front of you. It's a bit superfluous at this point and the building looks a ready to collapse.

Raw firing and heat data:
Spoiler:
Weapon Attack Phase
-------------------

Large Laser at Scorpion Light Tank (LRM) (Magistracy of Canopus); needs 8, rolls 11 : hits (using Right Side table) RS
        Scorpion Light Tank (LRM) (Magistracy of Canopus) takes 8 damage to RS.
            6 Armor remaining.

Medium Laser at Scorpion Light Tank (LRM) (Magistracy of Canopus); needs 8, rolls 9 : hits (using Right Side table) RS
        Scorpion Light Tank (LRM) (Magistracy of Canopus) takes 5 damage to RS.
            1 Armor remaining.

Medium Laser at Scorpion Light Tank (LRM) (Magistracy of Canopus); needs 8, rolls 5 : misses

Medium Laser at Scorpion Light Tank (LRM) (Magistracy of Canopus); needs 8, rolls 9 : hits (using Right Side table) RS (critical)
        Scorpion Light Tank (LRM) (Magistracy of Canopus) takes 5 damage to RS (critical).
            Armor destroyed.
             SECTION DESTROYED.
*** Scorpion Light Tank (LRM) (Magistracy of Canopus) DESTROYED by damage! ***
            Critical hit on RS. Roll is 8; Crew stunned for 1 turns.
            Critical hit on RS. Roll is 10; Engine destroyed. Immobile.

PPC at Hex 0914 of Building #490799011 (Collapse); needs 4, rolls 6 : hits.

Heavy Standard Building #490799011 absorbs 10 points of damage.
            +Large Laser is hit!

LRM 5 at Hex 0914 of Building #490799011 (Collapse); needs 2, rolls 6 : 3 missile(s) hit.

Heavy Standard Building #490799011 absorbs 3 points of damage.

Medium Laser at Hex 0914 of Building #490799011 (Collapse); needs 6, rolls 6 : hits.

Weapons fire for Scorpion Light Tank (LRM) (Magistracy of Canopus)
    LRM 5 at Thunderbolt TDR-5SE #2 (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 14, rolls 8 : misses

LRM 10 at Thunderbolt TDR-5SE #2 (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 14, rolls 5 : misses

Checking for accidental fire; needs 3 or below, rolls 7 : no fire..

Large Laser at Saracen Medium Hover Tank (Standard) (Magistracy of Canopus); needs 6, rolls 5 : misses

Medium Laser at Saracen Medium Hover Tank (Standard) (Magistracy of Canopus); needs 6, rolls 2 : misses

Medium Laser at Saracen Medium Hover Tank (Standard) (Magistracy of Canopus); needs 6, rolls 6 : hits (using Rear table) RR
        Saracen Medium Hover Tank (Standard) (Magistracy of Canopus) takes 5 damage to RR.
            19 Armor remaining.
            Chance for motive system damage. Roll is 15; (w/ +4 bonus)
             Major damage, vehicle immobile.
*** Saracen Medium Hover Tank (Standard) (Magistracy of Canopus) DESTROYED by a watery grave! ***

Weapons fire for Pegasus Scout Hover Tank (Standard) (Magistracy of Canopus)
    SRM 6 at Griffin GRF-1S (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 13, rolls 6 : misses

Checking for accidental fire; needs 3 or below, rolls 11 : no fire..

SRM 6 at Griffin GRF-1S (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 13, rolls 10 : misses

AC/5 at Thunderbolt TDR-5SE #2 (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 7, rolls 8 : hits RA
        Thunderbolt TDR-5SE #2 (1st Octopus Overlords) takes 5 damage to RA.
            15 Armor remaining.

AC/5 at Thunderbolt TDR-5SE #2 (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 7, rolls 8 : hits CT
        Thunderbolt TDR-5SE #2 (1st Octopus Overlords) takes 5 damage to CT.
            25 Armor remaining.

AC/5 at Thunderbolt TDR-5SE #2 (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 7, rolls 4 : misses

Checking for accidental fire; needs 3 or below, rolls 9 : no fire..

Large Laser at Hex 0914 of Building #490799011 (Collapse); needs 5, rolls 9 : hits.

Heavy Standard Building #490799011 absorbs 8 points of damage.
            Weapon hit, but no functional weapons remaining.

Large Laser at Vindicator VND-1R (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 7, rolls 5 : misses

LRM 5 at Hex 0914 of Building #490799011 (Collapse), the shot is an automatic hit (Targeting adjacent building.), rolls 7 : 5 missile(s) hit.

LRM 5 at Hex 0914 of Building #490799011 (Collapse), the shot is an automatic hit (Targeting adjacent building.), rolls 8 : 5 missile(s) hit.

Machine Gun at Hex 0914 of Building #490799011 (Collapse), the shot is an automatic hit (Targeting adjacent building.), rolls 12 : hits.

Heavy Standard Building #490799011 absorbs 2 points of damage.

Machine Gun at Hex 0914 of Building #490799011 (Collapse), the shot is an automatic hit (Targeting adjacent building.), rolls 7 : hits.

Machine Gun at Hex 0914 of Building #490799011 (Collapse), the shot is an automatic hit (Targeting adjacent building.), rolls 8 : hits.

SRM 6 at Hex 0914 of Building #490799011 (Collapse), the shot is an automatic hit (Targeting adjacent building.), rolls 7 : 6 missile(s) hit.

Heavy Standard Building #490799011 absorbs 12 points of damage.
            No critical hit.

Heat Phase
-------------------
Thunderbolt TDR-5SE #2 (1st Octopus Overlords) gains 21 heat, sinks 17 heat and is now at 4 heat.
Vindicator VND-1R (1st Octopus Overlords) gains 17 heat, sinks 16 heat and is now at 3 heat.
Griffin GRF-1S (1st Octopus Overlords) gains 16 heat, sinks 16 heat and is now at 3 heat.
Firestarter FS9-K2 (1st Octopus Overlords) gains 11 heat, sinks 11 heat and is now at 2 heat.
The crew of the Skulker are the only ones still screwing around. The rest of the vehicles either group up around the hilltop lake or head down to the basin.

"Search and Rescue here, looks like you guys got that laser turret. Orders?"

Beta lance, place your orders.

Enlarge Image
Enlarge Image
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

If I recall correctly, we want the Maxim to search 1014.

1) Forward to 0708
2) Face 0709
3-4) Move to 0709
5 -6) Move to 0710

Attempt to engage the MG turret. Maybe I can suppress it until I can close to engage the infantry at a devastating range.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

No problem. I can't see the map images at work so I don't know where I am but it makes sense.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Madmarcus wrote:No problem. I can't see the map images at work so I don't know where I am but it makes sense.
The Maxim is at 0813, and if it moved to 1013 it looks like it could disgorge the infantry while being covered from fire from the MG turret.

How crazy would it be to jump to the water at 1423 and unload everything into the AC5 turret?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The tank at 1316 will have LOS on the Maxim. And possibly whatever the hell is at 1318.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

The Maxim is pretty tough (certainly it can take a hit from a single AC/5), but, as we all know, any hit on a vehicle gets you a pretty good chance of "vehicle disabled, screw you". The Saracen in 1318 will not have LOS that I can tell, due to the building in 1013. Regardless, the jump infantry in the Maxim will be able to move the turn after they unload.

I think 1423 will actually have blocked LOS to the AC/5 turret - the depth 1 water means you're standing at effective height -1, so you're completely obscured by the level 1 hex in 1323.

Keep in mind that the guy you have to search and rescue may be in any one of the four yellow roof buildings. Also, keep in mind that enemy reinforcements are en route to reinforce the base (unknown eta).
Black Lives Matter
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Jump to 1418 facing the back of the Saracen. Large laser to the MG turret, both small lasers at the Saracen plus a kick.

Can the Maxim engage the MG turret? We need to get it cleared to allow our infantry to search some of the buildings.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

No love on the kick, the Saracen is one level below your destination hex. Also, it's got 3x SRM/2 launchers in the turret, so I'd be careful going into short range.
Black Lives Matter
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

It's clear I need to brush up on which enemy units have which things in turrets. Ok, plan two in a few minutes.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk