Warlords III: Darklords Rising just released...

This is the place for self-contained forum games

Moderator: Zaxxon

Zenn7

Re: Warlords III: Darklords Rising just released...

Post by Zenn7 »

Turn 14 sent to Ralph.

Wasn't quite as good a turn as I had hoped, but I'm not complaining. Though I'm in 3rd or 4th place now. And at war with someone who had some scouts or something to spare I guess.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

There are items in the item list that have the ability "questing" - what does that do?

Can't find it in the manual or online.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Zenn7 wrote:There are items in the item list that have the ability "questing" - what does that do?

Can't find it in the manual or online.
Not sure.

Also, a rebuilt razed fort only gets it to the lowest level. More gold is required for each step up.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Public Notice:
If you keep putting your heroes on my lawn, I will keep killing them! Go away!
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Things certainly are heating up... T15 sent to Nick

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

Archinerd wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:22 am Public Notice:
If you keep putting your heroes on my lawn, I will keep killing them! Go away!
"I resemble that remark." -the duly cowed.
Jesus said, "Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body."[Matt 10:28] God can totally destroy us.

Jesus also said, "For my Father's will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day.”[John 6:40] Eternal life is conditional.

His disciple John wrote, "Whoever has the Son has eternal life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have eternal life. [1 John 5:12] Eternal life is optional.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

So where is the turn now?
Black Lives Matter.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

I don't have it, even checked my spam folder.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

I had sent T15 to Nick Thursday evening. AFAIK he's player 3.

NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

I'll double check my turn when I get home tonight.
Black Lives Matter
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Looks like I'd forgotten to actually send the email.
Black Lives Matter
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Turn 15 sent to Ralph.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

It's annoying that the battle reports that I get at the start of each of my turns don't tell me how many units the enemies lost in any battles that I lost - they just tell me how many units I lost. I can infer some of that by looking at the map and seeing what's there currently, but I don't think that there's any way for me to tell how many units there are ones who participated in the battle vs. moved into the area in the previous turn but didn't participate in the battle. It's just part of the difficulty in inferring how my armies are doing, and any figuring out any issues with my army composition.
Black Lives Matter.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Turn is to me now, I'll get to it this evening.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:39 pm It's annoying that the battle reports that I get at the start of each of my turns don't tell me how many units the enemies lost in any battles that I lost - they just tell me how many units I lost. I can infer some of that by looking at the map and seeing what's there currently, but I don't think that there's any way for me to tell how many units there are ones who participated in the battle vs. moved into the area in the previous turn but didn't participate in the battle. It's just part of the difficulty in inferring how my armies are doing, and any figuring out any issues with my army composition.
I've run into this same issue. I know that my two valiant giant rats defeated the armies of the nefarious Archinerd, but it would be nice to know if I killed a hero or just some bat.
Black Lives Matter
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:54 pm
El Guapo wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:39 pm It's annoying that the battle reports that I get at the start of each of my turns don't tell me how many units the enemies lost in any battles that I lost - they just tell me how many units I lost. I can infer some of that by looking at the map and seeing what's there currently, but I don't think that there's any way for me to tell how many units there are ones who participated in the battle vs. moved into the area in the previous turn but didn't participate in the battle. It's just part of the difficulty in inferring how my armies are doing, and any figuring out any issues with my army composition.
I've run into this same issue. I know that my two valiant giant rats defeated the armies of the nefarious Archinerd, but it would be nice to know if I killed a hero or just some bat.
If your 2 giant rats defeated a hero all by themselves, they were 2 of the luckiest giant rats to have ever lived (and that was one EXTREMELY unlucky or unsmart hero!)

Could have been a bat (if Archinerd has those) or maybe something like a light infantry or other lighter unit (ie, not a dragon, or other tougher unit).

But yes, the battle reports leave a lot to be desired (especially if you win, you'd think your survivors could tell you what you killed and who all died on your side).
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Zenn7 wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:41 pm
If your 2 giant rats defeated a hero all by themselves, they were 2 of the luckiest giant rats to have ever lived (and that was one EXTREMELY unlucky or unsmart hero!)

Could have been a bat (if Archinerd has those) or maybe something like a light infantry or other lighter unit (ie, not a dragon, or other tougher unit).

But yes, the battle reports leave a lot to be desired (especially if you win, you'd think your survivors could tell you what you killed and who all died on your side).
Technically, you have no survivors. Comms during war are not always reliable...

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

ps ralph might be happier if archinerd's turn was just skipped ;)

Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Pyperkub wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:44 pm ps ralph might be happier if archinerd's turn was just skipped ;)
:shock:

I was shocked a few turns back when I saw how many high level troops Archinerd already had. Now that I've uncovered a bit more of the map, I'm realizing it's because he has a castle practically every three steps! It took me until turn four or five until I even found the closest neighboring castle. Really put me behind the curve, at least in relation to Archinerd.
Black Lives Matter
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:06 pm

:shock:

I was shocked a few turns back when I saw how many high level troops Archinerd already had.
I accuse Colonel Mustard in the Library with the Wrench (of scum-reloading).
Jesus said, "Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body."[Matt 10:28] God can totally destroy us.

Jesus also said, "For my Father's will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day.”[John 6:40] Eternal life is conditional.

His disciple John wrote, "Whoever has the Son has eternal life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have eternal life. [1 John 5:12] Eternal life is optional.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Woah woah woah.

First off, I don't even have the most castles. Dave has many more from what I can tell.
Second, I took a quest on my first turn (thanks for the reminder everyone) and the reward was some hardworking gnolls.
Third, I don't have bats, but I do have rats. This game seems to think bats beat rats more often than not.
Fourth, leave me alone! Keep your heroes and your bats off my lawn! :x
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Dave Allen wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:54 am Okay then - here we go... :horse:

Order of play:

Pyperkub as Pylantirons
NickAragua as Hoomans
El Guapo as Evil Maximus
Zenn7 as Zenn's Zoo
Ralph-Wiggum as Wiggumites
Archinerd as Lump Heads
Dave Allen as Midkemians

:csmile: HAVE FUN! :csmile:
I need to remember this... though I'm having a lot of fun. Love Warlords, and PBEM tends to get into my head during the off hours between turns in a good way. Thanks again for setting this up!

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Also - t16 sent to Nick this morning!

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I think I'm doing ok, BUT at this point I'm pretty sure that I've made a few fundamental mistakes: (1) I suspect that my army mix is sub-optimal; (2) I got my hero killed immediately on turn 1 and it took me awhile to get a new hero; and (3) I only really figured out recently the whole "exploring ruins" and quest dynamics, which I think has cost me a lot of free troops.
Black Lives Matter.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Pyperkub wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:43 pm
Zenn7 wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:41 pm

Technically, you have no survivors. Comms during war are not always reliable...
I was thinking of when I win.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

El Guapo wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:51 pm I think I'm doing ok, BUT at this point I'm pretty sure that I've made a few fundamental mistakes: (1) I suspect that my army mix is sub-optimal; (2) I got my hero killed immediately on turn 1 and it took me awhile to get a new hero; and (3) I only really figured out recently the whole "exploring ruins" and quest dynamics, which I think has cost me a lot of free troops.
Not necessarily that many - but it cost you a good bit of a combination of free (low end) troops, xp, magic items of a weaker nature, possible map discovery, gold.

I've gotten more troops hired as mercs than I have from quests/ruins.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Zenn7 wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:40 pm
El Guapo wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:51 pm I think I'm doing ok, BUT at this point I'm pretty sure that I've made a few fundamental mistakes: (1) I suspect that my army mix is sub-optimal; (2) I got my hero killed immediately on turn 1 and it took me awhile to get a new hero; and (3) I only really figured out recently the whole "exploring ruins" and quest dynamics, which I think has cost me a lot of free troops.
Not necessarily that many - but it cost you a good bit of a combination of free (low end) troops, xp, magic items of a weaker nature, possible map discovery, gold.

I haven't received any troops as mercs. Is there anything that I need to be doing for that to happen?
Black Lives Matter.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

El Guapo wrote:

I haven't received any troops as mercs. Is there anything that I need to be doing for that to happen?
Saving gold

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Pyperkub wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:50 am
El Guapo wrote:

Saving gold
I mean, I have enough gold on hand.
Black Lives Matter.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Your gold might be broken, let me see it.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Archinerd wrote:Your gold might be broken, let me see it.
Give it the lipmus test.

NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Also, don't forget to use magic to supplement your armies. At this point, half of my army is large summoned fire dogs.

I think they got a tummy-ache from eating all that infantry though. Poor little doggies.
Black Lives Matter
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

NickAragua wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:36 pm Also, don't forget to use magic to supplement your armies. At this point, half of my army is large summoned fire dogs.
Do what now?
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote:
NickAragua wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:36 pm Also, don't forget to use magic to supplement your armies. At this point, half of my army is large summoned fire dogs.
Do what now?
Depends on your hero types.

NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:30 pm
Do what now?
My hero turned out to be a summoner, so he can cast a bunch of summon spells. I think I made the mistake of wasting a bunch of upgrade points on three different types of summons, but maybe not - I just have very little idea still of what all the stats do. But the hellhounds do appear to eat basic units for lunch, more or less.
Black Lives Matter
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Note to self, check my hero type.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

My hero at this point is a level 1 necromancer. But it also appears that he can't raise the dead until he levels up. Which raises the question - is he really a necromancer at this point?
Black Lives Matter.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

More like necroposer, amirite?
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Also - do I have any spells? How would I know? Do I need to do something to get spells?
Black Lives Matter.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

El Guapo wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:22 pm Also - do I have any spells? How would I know? Do I need to do something to get spells?
When you level up, some of your abilities to spend points on are spells. For the necromany, necromancy is an ability (that you can take multiple times).

Necromancy is automatic - when you get into a fight (and Necromancer survives), you raise a skeleton unit. I think you can raise 1 per level of necromancy (had to kill that many units too) and some of the risen will be wights instead of skeletons.

Spells you have to cast. When your hero (can be with his whole stack) is selected, right click. Option there where you get quests - next to that is an option to cast spells. You have to have the mana to do it.

Hellhounds don't suck, but you have better spells if save your points up (summoner has imps, hellhounds, demons (I forget ice or fire) and something like summon horde (this costs 4 ability points to get, think it costs 20 mana to cast, gives you a variety of all the other summons)). Hint - of these spells is FAR more beneficial in my opinion, as it takes longer to get, but is more efficient.

Summons (other than horde/legion type) summon 1 most of the time but can summon 3 of the unit some times.

Summon spells do not cost maintenance.

EDIT: Summon spells do not cost MANA maintenance. They do still cost gold upkeep. If you don't have a high income, summoning 2-3 legions can easily send you to negative income.

Other upgrade options can give your hero abilities like Chaos, Leadership, etc which works just like it does on other units. It won't stack if your stack already has that level or better. You get +1 usually and can take it more than once (to keep going up +2, +3 etc).

There are some other spells (Wizard and Shaman don't have summons), can give you things like Forcewall (+ some fortification), a lightening storm sort of thing that gives every unit in the stack the lightening ability (don't recall the chance) - that 1/2's a enemy unit's hits (if they only have 1, it kills them). These spells cost maintenance. Can make these cost prohibitive.
Last edited by Zenn7 on Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.