STEAM Backlog Project 2012-2017

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Alefroth

Re: STEAM Backlog Project 2012-2016

Post by Alefroth »

Finally decided it wasn't worthwhile to finish the Shadows of Mordor DLC and uninstalled it. Working through Darksiders and stopped at Tiamat. X-COM:EU looks to be nearly finished. Not sure if I'll pick up Enemy Within or not.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Alefroth wrote:Not sure if I'll pick up Enemy Within or not.
I think Enemy Within is well worth it. It adds some more needed variety to the missions.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

coopasonic wrote:
Alefroth wrote:Not sure if I'll pick up Enemy Within or not.
I think Enemy Within is well worth it. It adds some more needed variety to the missions.
Seconded.
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I think finishing The Witcher 2 and 3 derailed me working through backlog this spring and summer. I should probably figure out the next step now that we're in the Fall. :D
Maybe next year, maybe no go
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

step 1: stop buying more games
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

If it hasn't happened it 4 years, why should it start now? :D

But seriously, it has slowed tremendously.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I successfully fought the urge to buy all of the old Sierra adventure games.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I didn't. :(
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Smoove_B wrote:I didn't. :(
I think that would be more games than I bought this year.

Of course mine cost more since they are mostly pre-order pricing AAA games.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The thought of having to grind my rock-throwing skill in QfGIII again just didn't appeal. At best, I probably would have just used a guide to get through the stories, and that's no fun. I could probably just watch them on YouTube at this point.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

coopasonic wrote: I think Enemy Within is well worth it. It adds some more needed variety to the missions.
Ok, it does look pretty good. IGN's one negative is a positive for me. I don't need the difficulty in expansions to ramp up a lot. Going on the wishlist.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

simultaneously playing Painkiller: HD, Hard Reset and nuDOOM - superficially similar-playing games, but very different tactics required.

favorite FPS weapons:

* the Painkiller and stake gun, from Painkiller (there is no downside to the Painkiller. could use it the entire game)
* saw-blade launcher from Unreal Tournament
* chainsaw, flamethrower, and cannon from Serious Sam series
* combat shotgun in Soldier of Fortune 2
* katana in Shadow Warrior 2
* fists and feet in Zeno Clash
* whatever gun it was in Will Rock that made things swell up and pop like balloons
* bow and arrow in Minecraft
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Bioshock is now complete. I'm only nine years behind.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

for some reason i was in a mood to try a hidden-object title, so i used http://www.lorenzostanco.com/lab/steam/ as a way to filter my Steam library to find them. (this utility is pretty neat.) then i played through a few that i received in random bundles. these games are... pretty goofy, at best. i'm not capable of taking these seriously in the least, even the supposed 'good' ones - at least they're short. still, for some reason, there's something moderately satisfying in removing various semi-concealed items from a scene.

i've also been trying to purgeexperience the various walking-simulators in my library. recently went through Dear Esther (which i found to be actually worth the hour and a half spent with it).
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Isgrimnur wrote:Bioshock is now complete. I'm only nine years behind.
As a reminder, the Backlog Project (TM) isn't actually about finishing games in your backlog (that would be crazy-talk). Instead, it's about devoting a token amount of time (for me ~5 hours) to each game in your STEAM library that was purchased (at deep discount) and remains untouched beyond validating an installation. Once that is complete (and hey, it's been 5 years), THEN we can begin the monumental task of actually finishing games. :D What I've actually learned during this exercise is what types of games I should be purchasing and which I should avoid (no matter how deep the discount is).
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Updating Post 2 of this thread really doesn't generate a lot of traffic to kep up with your progress.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

On the other hand I've learned that it takes way less than 5 hours for me to determine I don't like a game. My "Not Interested" category in Steam is WAY bigger than my finished category. That realization has really slowed down my game purchasing. That and spending an hour a day on Rocksmith eats up a lot of my available game time.... 52 days to go!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Isgrimnur wrote:Updating Post 2 of this thread really doesn't generate a lot of traffic to kep up with your progress.
None of you all seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you you're locked in here with me!

I was updating the thread with new posts as items were cleared from Ye Olde Backlog, however I'm still on a contact high from The Witcher 3 and haven't cleared anything else in quite some time. Though to also be fair, I have cut my untouched games pile down to less than 20 titles...which is nice.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The JetFred version of this thread would rival the Trumpocalypse thread in length.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, I tried to get him to play along, but he's in his own league. :D
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

Isgrimnur wrote:The JetFred version of this thread would rival the Trumpocalypse thread in length.
I secretly aspire to be Smoove, though.

And don't forget the easy way to get further behind with the crap here!
I have but one advocate.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

JetFred wrote:I secretly aspire to be Smoove, though.
:oops:

I put a solid 3 hours into Betrayer this evening, figuring it's Halloween...it's kind of creepy/weird, but I'm not sure I get it. I think I need to read up a bit as it's just too open for me. I like hand holding...I'm far too old and tired to puzzle things out. I had the same issues with playing The Samaritan Paradox yesterday. The puzzles reminded me of the old adventure game puzzles that were just so out there I have no idea how anyone solved them before the internet.
coopasonic

Re: STEAM Backlog Project 2012/2013

Post by coopasonic »

I posted this back in 2013 in a post about games I have installed, but unfinished:
coopasonic wrote: Dead Rising 2 - Stuck at a spot that feels impossible (2 chicks) - may need to restart :(
I did it! I finally finished Dead Rising 2!

I need more games to be released. (not really, dead rising 4 is coming Tuesday)
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Re: STEAM Backlog Project 2012-2017

Post by Smoove_B »

My name is Smoove_B and I have a problem. I was doing good up until December. I think I had about 8 games sitting untouched in my backlog. Not sure why this Winter STEAM sale was different for me, but between that sale and participation in my first Humble Monthly promotion, I've added somewhere around 25 games to my backlog. Years of progress, suddenly flushed away. :D

Anyway, I spent some time yesterday with Skullgirls, a game I picked up because I like arcade style beat 'em ups. I spent many hours as a teenager playing games like Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter with actual quarters (ask your parents), so I thought this would be a cheap and cheerful way to have similar fun. Well...no. I like the art and overall style, but the fighting feels off somehow. It almost feels like this was a game created as an homage to fighting games but modernized in some way as to make it more difficult. It's a fighter's fighter...or something. I play with a controller, but even on the easiest level I'm getting violated by the AI. It's not fun and sadly, it's off to the Nevermore pile. That hasn't happened in a while.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Decided to go on a bit of retro binge... Started playing "Dark Void" which was from 2010. It could have been Rocketeer with a bit about a portal in Bermuda triangle and blah blah blah. I'm at end of episode 1 where I apparently need to drop off the side of a platform and fall straight down without hitting anything. If I fail, I get to fight my battles all over. WTF!?

Tried to play Kung Fu Strike, when I realized all I can do is spam buttons. I can't really do combo. :-P
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I have found my tastes have changed from a few years back and games I bought on Steam then no longer interest me. Altho I still buy them on occasion because reasons.
I also pee different now. Maybe it's an "olde" thing.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Tried to get back into Strike Suit Zero. The flak shake was ridiculous.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Spent some time today with Okhlos: Omega. Not a game I would have normally picked up, but those Humble Monthly packages....

Anyway, it's definitely out of the norm for what I'd usually play and I didn't hate it, but I was struggling with the controls as they just felt off. The idea is different (controlling an angry mob), but between the controls and the "retro" pixel graphics I'd probably only recommend it to someone that likes similar games (and I'm not even sure I could name one).
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Trying to play Judge Dredd: Dredd vs. Death, and the old school mechanics are making it a bit hard for me. :D You know, enemies around every corner sort of mechanic.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

So here's a perfect example of the whole Backlog thing working as designed - Project Highrise. I haven't played a sim game in quite some time...I honestly can't remember the last one I really even spent time with, but this had me engrossed yesterday to a degree I haven't experienced in years. I figured I'd fire it up and spend and hour with it, but 4+ hours later I was completely hooked. That hasn't happened in a long time and I'm now happy to add this game to my rotation. I likely wouldn't have ever tried it if not for the recent Humble Monthly package, but I'm glad to have discovered it - really an excellent game.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'm rather mixed with Steamworld Heist. I actually enjoyed Steamworld Dig so I was thinking I'd enjoy the theme to this one too. It's fun and it's definitely a turn-based shooter lite (in a 2D world) but maybe spending so much time with it at once was my mistake. It's not bad, it's just not very deep - at least what I've seen. Feels more beer and pretzel-y, which isn't exactly what I was in the mood for. I do like the robot characters and their banter, so I guess it's a keeper...but more like something I'd do in short doses.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Finished Section 8 Prejudice. I may give DarkStar One a whirl, never really played it before.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Went back to try Blur, found it to be basically a NFS: Most Wanted wannabe with Mario Kart type weapons added, and since the tracks are always circuits, it's definitely Mario Karts tactics, but with some tricks to the powerups. For example, weapons can often be fired backwards, not just dropped like mines. And using nitro in reverse basically means you will suddenly slow down A LOT like popping out the airbrakes.

The problem with the game is it has weird demands to challenge the leaders, and the "fan" thing (i.e. you have to do tricks to gain fans) is a real PITA.

In NFS: Most Wanted, you basically the races in that guy's territory, get reputation for certain things, and when you fulfill the requirements you get to race the leader in a one-on-one.

In Blur, you pretty much do the same, basically you win "lights" (up to 7 per event), up to 5 for being in top 3, 1 for fan run, and 1 for something else. Once you get enough lights, you can advance to the next division. You need to finish requirements to challenge the leader. Same right? Not in the requirements.

In NFS, the requirements are straightforward, beat this guy, win that event. In Blur, the requirements are weird, like "use shield to block incoming attack 3 times" or some such. What if I don't manage to get the shield powerup? Eh? (I tend to be aggressive in my pickups any way, instead of going for shields and other protective powerups)

Decided to play Burnout Paradise instead.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Went for change of pace: Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective, with all the FMV cutscenes.

This was the first game that I've seen that PENALIZES you for being thorough. For every clue you chase down, red herring or not, the MORE points you accumulate, and the MORE amateur you are. Apparently, Holmes can do it with only 5 clues, and got "35 points". My first case? I'm at over 400. :-P
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Kasey Chang wrote:Went back to try Blur,
speaking of games 'no longer available on Steam'...
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Been playing Burnout Paradise, and got to 10 missions from Class A (starting with learner's permit, then D, and so on). Apparently after A there's Pro and Burnout and Burnout Elite.

Out of all the mission types, I think I hated "Marked Man" the most. The kamikaze drivers are like the cops in the original Driver... Super-speed, suicidal. Their only aim was to crash into you. And one touch from them is enough to send you crashing into something.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Burnout Paradise: Finished my Class A and got my "Burnout" License. If I beat EVERY event (again) I can get burnout Elite, but I'm not that much of a completionist. I've pretty much got every car except all the custom versions via all the burning route runs. Often on those I end up screwing the run by running into a couple cars in traffic (oops!)

I ended up using aggression class cars in everything... races, stunts, etc. Even with the best aggression car marked man is difficult as heck. With boost and bungee AI these can catch up to most speed or stunt vehicles, and the extra "strength" means much better survivability.

May go back to Homefront Rev in a bit.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

For grins, I went to play Dungeon Siege 3. Enjoyed the original, 2nd one is a bit oo much of a pin and long. Looks like so far 3rd one was just too hard, even on casual mode, and PITA to play, with too many different attributes, talent, skills, and whatnot.

You get four different starting characters, your typical fighter, mage, rogue, archer type. Except this work is steam-punky with guns and magic.

I made it through the dark forest, went into town, and ended up fighting an archon, and I have a baby archon on my side (who has lousy powers). Any way, we defeated the UBG, except she regenerated and has a 2nd phase where her body goes ghostly, debris littered the field, and she sets out these magic traps of limited duration... Running into it means losing 1/6th of your life. But as a fighter, I have to get close to hit her, and dodging doesn't always work. Then I have to periodically revive my companion, but I need to stay still to do that... which means I die... I tried downloading trainers and they don't seem to work on the version of the game I got or they crash the game. ARGH! That's it. I had enough, replayed this battle more than 10 times already. Not doing anything wrong. Balance is just off.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Went back to Ghostbusters. Just finished the Library. I've been doing "slam" wrong all along. Hah! It's a fun tribute to the franchise, not the reboot.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Finished Dark Void (went back to it). Only took me 7 hours, but it was fun, actually. The vertical-ness of the space was excellent, and mixing jet-pack combat with ground action was fun. There are occasional QT-type sequences (i.e. tap the button to defeat the boss) but it's not excessive. I was able to finish up the last couple chapters pretty quickly.

The idea of upgrading weapons with "tech points" you get from killing enemies was tolerable, and the advice is don't spread them out, upgrade the assault rifle to level 3 when possible, and maybe the Watcher assault rifle, and the rocket pack, that's about it. Don't upgrade anything else and waste the points.

The UBG turned out to be not so tough on casual. I found "launch the ark" mission to be more exciting, as I need to take out THREE archons, each of which is like a miniboss: shoot all four joints, then before they regenerate, jump on its head and sabotage it without getting in the way of its beam weapon. AND I need to do this before they fry the Ark.

The battleship mission was meh, fly around and shoot at whatever parts the ship revealed that's shootable. With upgraded guns on the rocket pack it's a cinch.