PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Redfive

Re: PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds

Post by Redfive »

Ack, bad loot scene for you two if the circle was shrinking and all either of you had was hand guns.

RNG being all random.
Battle.net: red51ve#1673
Elder Scrolls Online - @redfive
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I only had 2 small ruined buildings (not even a second story) and a sort of open walled shed. There just wasn't much there. I had a (relatively) long haul across open terrain to get to another set of buildings. He was out amongst the trees too, so either he was making his way there or had just left.

Honestly it was one of the more enjoyable encounters I've had in the game. At least I got to shoot back, and the hp xp showed I hit him at least. For those not familiar with the game, you get rank xp, kills xp and damage (hp) xp. It all trickles in and converts to in game cash.

edit: 1 gig patch downloading.

Part of the learning curve is that items are all graphical until you mouse over them. And the icons are tiny. Being able to recognize what you're looking at quickly and deciding what you should take and what you can leave behind (inventory size is based on backpack level I think) takes some practice. That said, you can just run up to a pile of stuff and hit "interact" repeatedly to pick up everything or swap stuff (like lvl 2 helmet out for lvl 3 helmet in). It's pretty slick and easy and fast.

So far there are 4 different hotkeys for 4 different healing items, and 4 different hotkeys for 4 different grenades. That's...a lot of hotkeys that I normally only have 1 key per item type. A bit more fiddly than I'm comfortable with.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I should mention that after the second or 3rd shot, I was able to get a general idea of what direction the shots were coming from and act accordingly. I went prone, crawled behind a tree and from then on had cover.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Got kicked out to download the patch and now I can't get back in. :( Having a lot of fun tonight. Been trying to make sure I at least get one kill a round. The one thing that I was doing before is running away like a wuss. That was just getting me killed. :lol: Also I was trying to sneak around too much in the beginning when I should be looting like a madman.

As for the jumps. When I get bored I jump early just to get some action in. If you survive a fight or two you will be stacked out. That's why people do that. And well it's a lot of fun fighting it out in the beginning.

I like this game so much that I went out and bought a new keyboard today. I was using some crappy stock keyboard as I don't really play FPS on the PC. Grabbed the logitech prodigy which is entry level gaming keyboard. HUGE difference from the old keyboard. Everything is so much snappier. I'm sure my wife will hate the keyboard.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I will say my most disappointing matches have been when I drop alone, find a smattering of loot, start to think about moving on, and then die unceremoniously to someone I didn't know was there until I started taking damage. That's part of the game, no question, but it's also the least fun part of the game so far, for me.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Game is crying out for dive rolls. And jumping through windows.

Rank #19. Spent all game in a little building cluster just outside a school area. Well armed, ok armoured. Saw 1 guy, took 1 shot with my ump9(?) (need to learn how to switch fire modes) and missed. he left me alone. I decided to move towards the center, got clipped not far from the building, ducked back in, healed up, waited, looking for a target out windows, eventually the play area shrunk and I died trying to get into the new play area. Not a very exciting end, but ...#19! Lol.

I need to get a better handle on what the white and blue circles mean. White = current area, blue = newly shrunk area? And the red areas are...bombing sites?
Last edited by GreenGoo on Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

The random deaths get a bit better after a few days of playing. You really need to get used to the game and then you gain a situation awareness. Nit that it's keeping me alive much. My aim is balls.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Octavious wrote:The random deaths get a bit better after a few days of playing. You really need to get used to the game and then you gain a situation awareness. Nit that it's keeping me alive much. My aim is balls.
I totally hear that. my aim is also as you say, ballz. At this point I'm having trouble distinguishing targets from the background.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Is there a store or market that you can spend in game cash on, or is it just buy a random loot box? And by random, 1 of the 2 being advertised on the main screen. And reason NOT to immediately dump your game cash into a loot box the moment you can afford it?
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

White circle is the safe zone. The blue circle is the force field of doom that shrinks to the white circle.

Red is the random artillery.

Use 'B' to switch fire modes.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Thanks.

Just had a game that pretty much explains why the game is so popular. Survived multiple shrinkings on FOOT, was in a long range rifle battle while the blue dome of doom was closing in on both of us, shotgunned passing vehicles as I roamed cross country (holy snoopy behind enemy lines feeling batman. Was great!), eventually dying within sight of the blue border while I swam across a channel.

That...was an experience. The game is actually less polished than I expected based on the videos I watched, but that's ok, because the "game" is between you and other players, it's not between you and the game mechanics. I'm not happy about the grenade setup, but healing is relatively easily handled by hotkey for inventory, double-click healing tool, hotkey for inventory again. Sure it's not as fast as using a straight up hotkey (these exist, I'm just not set up for it. At least not yet) but since heals are HoTs, the extra time is not a huge issue.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Any way to watch the rest of your match play out? See stats on it? See who wins? Anything?

Lol, I hear rumbling, sounds like a plane, I look up, circle, nothing, I go back to running...crushed from behind. I would totally just take my medicine except I was on a near vertical rock face at the time. I never did see what the vehicle was. Considering I was having trouble staying on it, I'm amazed something could drive up it.

And on that note, I've only found a working vehicle once. It was a pocket rocket with mushy controls. Are the gas cans for filling up vehicles, or are they just really big molotov cocktails, or what?
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Also, because my mom raised me to be as pedantic as possible, isn't it "Life OR Death", not "Live AND Death"?

Second kill ever. Dude rolled up on a side car equipped cycle with literally nothing else. Even so, I let him get in range while my full auto akm shot around him to show how amazing I am. He actually almost got a punch in. How embarrassing.

I then died to another dude who rolled up, honked, then camped out in one of the bathrooms in one of the houses. I'm only slightly proud that I put a few rounds into him before I died. I had a shotgun, that might have been a better option, but I didn't know where he was, or what range we'd engage at. I'm not fast enough switching weapons yet to trust that.

Good, short, action-y match. I like those the best I think. I'm already playing extremely aggressively compared to earlier today. Why hide in a building for 20 minutes with no gear only to get ganked within seconds of encountering someone? I can get ganked within seconds without waiting 20 minutes.

Things that are bad:

No backpack.
No vehicle.
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

Gas cans are for filling up vehicles though I've never done it.

No way to watch..if you had friends in the match you could cheat..I guess.

I don't think there are any stats on the specific match but you can see some stats from the main screen.

You can, as far as I know, sit there and look at your dead corpse until someone wins the match but doesn't seem useful to me.

Don't forget to fiddle with mouse sensitivity if you haven't..might find a better control experience.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Fun. Stole some dude's buggy and ran off with it. Slid into a farmhouse that I just "knew" had someone in it. Despite that, I got completely blindsided climbing stairs, which was weird, because I'm always checking up the stairs before climbing. ANyway, terrible shot dude beats me around the knees and ankles I guess, cause I live, I shotgun him in the gut, then duck for cover. I pull out a grenade. This might be the slowest process evar. I'm long dead before the grenade I managed to throw (the whole time getting shot) goes off. I think I'll scratch off trying to flush someone with a grenade until I'm better at the game. I would have been better off just aiming down sight and trying for a head shot.
Last edited by GreenGoo on Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Redfive wrote:
You can, as far as I know, sit there and look at your dead corpse until someone wins the match but doesn't seem useful to me.

Yeah, why this exists is not clear. There is nothing to do and nothing to see. Why they don't just kick you back to the start menu after 30 seconds or something, I don't know. Feels like features not yet implemented to me.

I'm probably ready to try a teamup, although not tonight and if it's not clear based on what I've written, don't expect me to stay alive long.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Spent 700 cash. Got survivor crate. Fingerless gloves (tan). I now have fingerless gloves equipped. They're tan, fyi.

Rank #13. Died clearing a house before attempting to hole up in it. Stumbled upon a dude looking out the window. Fired my shotgun and did zero(?) damage to him, took a couple of bullets and died to a head shot (I still hadn't found any headgear). Was a fun round because I traveled very far cross country, first with a sidecar bike (which I ditched in a river. Didn't think it was that deep!), hauling ass dodging sniper fire (without a scope, VERY hard to see where sniper is) and then stealing someone's buggy (again).

Good round, outcome could have been better. Dying like that was unsatisfying.
Last edited by GreenGoo on Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

What is your Steam ID?
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Redfive wrote:What is your Steam ID?
GreenGoo is my current alias. Should be able to find me as part of the OO group. I should mention that I'm not normally visible on the friends list unless specifically arranging something beforehand. I'll make myself visible tomorrow. Done for tonight.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I'm enjoying reading your experiences and deaths, but I'm hearing it in Rorschach's voice.

After watching a 'Let's Play' and reading this thread, I can kind of understand why some people would jump early and try to cluster. Those are the people who aren't in it for strategy, but are trying to accumulate some quick cash by doing damage and maybe getting a lucky kill or two. They're chasing the tan gloves. I've seen the same behavior in a lot of other online games - just people who are content to lose quickly and restart quickly for a minimal gain.

It looks interesting, but I don't know how I feel about 3rd person cameras in a competitive shooter. Looking safely around corners changes things quite a bit.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

You can choose to play in a first person perspective game, that's the way I've been playing.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

FYI, the melee weapons are pretty much useless at the moment -- except for the frying pan. Always equip a frying pan if you can. It acts as butt armor, and you can hear the *ping!* sound every time it saves your life.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Paingod wrote:I'm enjoying reading your experiences and deaths, but I'm hearing it in Rorschach's voice.
Good and I don't know what that means. Dude from Watchmen, yeah?

edit: On keyboard now instead of phone, so can type more easily.
Paingod wrote: After watching a 'Let's Play' and reading this thread, I can kind of understand why some people would jump early and try to cluster. Those are the people who aren't in it for strategy, but are trying to accumulate some quick cash by doing damage and maybe getting a lucky kill or two. They're chasing the tan gloves. I've seen the same behavior in a lot of other online games - just people who are content to lose quickly and restart quickly for a minimal gain.

It looks interesting, but I don't know how I feel about 3rd person cameras in a competitive shooter. Looking safely around corners changes things quite a bit.
You're almost certainly right about the early conflict, plus even I am starting to seek out conflict because as I said, spending 20 minutes gathering supplies for a 2 second gank is starting to wear thin. I don't really have a problem with people farming cash. You need to get a couple of kills to make it worthwhile imo, but if you're just feeding the meatgrinder you'll get those kills semi-regularly if you're even average I would think. Since there are always 90+ players, there is lots of room for both styles of play.

As someone who prefers 3rd person view in all my games (I just like watching my character be animated. Unlike some, I don't personally identify with the character I'm playing even if it's in first person) I am already aware of and prone to using the camera to see around objects that first person view would not be able to. Shrug. It's second nature and part of playing in 3rd person. I don't consider it cheating because this is the default behaviour for 3rd person view, whether its in a single player game or multiplayer. It does make the "leaning" action kind of pointless though, except in a firefight where keeping the majority of your target area (i.e. body) behind cover is not a bad idea.

So I had another rank in the teens and it was a great run. Except at the end. I come out of a doorway and see a dude not far from me, hiding behind a wall (I'm on the same side of it as him). I don't IMMEDIATELY panic, so I'm getting more comfortable in the game, but I do move fast and in retrospect might have done things differently. I have a cool trenchcoat but no body armour, and only a motorcycle helmet for my head. What I do have is an m16 type rifle set to auto. I crouch, ads, and pull the trigger. I die before I can pull the trigger a second time. Auto had my my muzzle climb and the target did have a lvl 2 helmet on, but man...I had him completely in the open, off guard and in my sights, and I STILL died? I know I'm not a strong player but fuck you. It felt like getting killed by a silhouette target at the shooting range.

Ah well.
Last edited by GreenGoo on Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

GreenGoo wrote:
Paingod wrote:I'm enjoying reading your experiences and deaths, but I'm hearing it in Rorschach's voice.
Yup. An video/audio sample there.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Paingod wrote:
GreenGoo wrote:
Yup. An video/audio sample there.
Heh. Ok, I'll take that as a compliment.

I've alluded to it multiple times now, but encounters are FAST. Most of my encounters with other players are over in less than 2 seconds. Sometimes less than 1 second. Even a firefight is a long fight if it's 5-10 seconds long, and that's with cover.

I can't help but feel the game would be more "fun" if you had to craft your supplies, instead of finding a military arsenal lying around in a burned out building. I completely understand that that is not this game, and that it would change the game in ways that may not be expected or even desired by the developers or the players.

Just give me a dive roll behind cover, and the ability to jump through first story windows. Also, not getting stuck on knee high fences regularly would be an improvement.

I did a little reading last night, so I have a better idea if shotgun a) should be dumped for shotgun b), which will help speed things up. I think I've only found 1 sniper rifle ever and that was my first game. Perhaps they spawn closer to the plane flight path and near piles of people. I've avoided both those things since Red5 explained that landing nearly the flightpath is a sure way to encounter more people.

Crate prices go up as you buy them. I believe that the prices reset every week, so the first crate each week is 700 pubg-o bucks, the next is 1400 and so on, only to repeat each week.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

emptied an m16a4 mag in the general direction of a survivor. 13 points of xp. he fired twice and down I went. police vest 2, helmet 1.

Admittedly I was crouched for stability and I'm guessing that's not really needed in this game. He was rabbit hopping around. It's a shame that that is still a thing, but lesson learned. Well, I'll probably have to die like that a few more times, but lesson beginning to be learned.

Had him dead to rights right from the beginning. Saw him enter a building, I set up around a corner with the door in sight, he came out, I waited until I felt that my holographic sight was on him...13 pubg-o bucks later, I start a new game.

This is the part of the game I knew I would struggle with, but it's still disheartening.
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

There are two times in this game where I experience frustration.

One, like you said, is when I have someone dead to rights and somehow still wind up on the losing end. This is not a problem that is isolated to PUBG though--I've always struggled with it.

The second time is when I drop in and pretty much have a town to myself to loot. I then head out across the map to get in the circle and sometimes I make it into a couple of 'reductions' for lack of a better word. I never see anyone and then all of a sudden 1 shot and I'm dead. The frustration is momentary because I reconciled early on that this can and does happen, but sometimes it can be the deciding factor as to whether I start another round or take a break.

Last night I died to lag that I'm pretty sure is on my end. The world freezes and there is a note on the screen that says 'network lag detected' and then when it unfroze I had died to a guy that was waiting inside the room I opened.

I've had plenty of satisfying moments as well.

I had a game where I was in the last three survivors, we were in the smallest circle (probably only about 50 yards across) but none of us could see each other because we were all lying prone in a wheat field. I randomly threw grenades and at one time even emptied my sub machine gun in random directions to see if I could get lucky (we were close) but no joy. Finally, one guy had the bright idea to just stand up. He got lucky because he wasn't in the direction the other two of us were looking. When he stood he could see us laying prone (the wheat / grass on only a couple of feet tall) and just picked us off for the win. The Mexican standoff was funny though because no one wanted to make the first move and we were in the final circle for what felt like several minutes.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Great comments and I've already experienced both of your frustration scenarios multiple times. In fact I just did the second one. Hilariously I was in a building that was cut in half by the dome, heard a guy drive up, but I was distracted by real life stuff and so I'm going up and down the stairs, and then I just...leave the building. I'm looking right and brrp-brrp. I'm down, dude is standing 5 feet to my left.

Great mexican standoff story. Hilarious and I can totally see that.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

So that was a fun one. I'm MILES from the circle. I actually find a sniper rifle and a working car. I'm driving, 80km/hr. I cross a bridge. There's a dude just standing there, I'm in his sights. I wait, because if I stop we both die. Well maybe he had no choice because he fires. I just miss driving him over, hammer hte brake and jump out. Wtf, my pistol is equipped? I'm sure I had my uzi. We're 20 feet apart and I'm all matrix-y on the guy. Somehow I manage to kill him (not sure what he's got, although he's hit me) before my first clip runs dry. I forget to reload in this game for some reason. Probably because Killing floor 2 auto-reloads if you pull the trigger on an empty clip and probably because I've moved my most used reload hotkey to something else.

Well here comes another dude right across the bridge and gunning for me. I take cover behind my own car, switch weapons (SHIT, sniper rifle with 8x scope. Grrr) using the mouse wheel, take a shot and I might have clipped him but he's stopped and out and before I can chamber another round he's downed me.

This is where I usually shine. I hone my knowledge of the ui, find all the shortcuts and generally can make the ui work to my advantage, when my twitch skills are lacking. Not this time though. Pistol instead of uzi. Sniper rifle at 20 feet. Grrr.

Still, more excitement than I'm used to in the game so far and I loved it.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

One of the things I found very useful is to grab the maps that are available online. Since I have two screens I can plop the map on the other screen and it shows the best places to grab things. Using memory is for chumps. :lol:

Brian

Post by Brian »

Achievement Hunter is livestreaming this right now.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

Brian wrote:Achievement Hunter is livestreaming this right now.
You know you want in on this.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I almost bought it but it looks like everyone is selling it at full retail right now. That don't fly!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

It's well worth 30 bucks IMHO. I'm having a blast with it and I can see me playing it a lot. Especially if we can get some groups together. The nice thing is that you don't have to worry about leveling up with people or anything so you don't have to worry about being around all the time. I'm way too much of a flake for that. :lol:
Last edited by Octavious on Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Redfive

Post by Redfive »

One thing I forgot to mention as I see the stream..if you play as a team you can revive teammates.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Octavious wrote:One of the things I found very useful is to grab the maps that are available online. Since I have two screens I can plop the map on the other screen and it shows the best places to grab things. Using memory is for chumps. :lol:
I used to have dual monitors. That was great. I've become accustomed to only 1 monitor again, so I've kind of forgotten about the benefits of having a second monitor.

I'm on EST and will be around after 9pm tonight.
Brian

Post by Brian »

Redfive wrote:
Brian wrote:Achievement Hunter is livestreaming this right now.
You know you want in on this.
You know, I really don't. Sorry.

I enjoy immensly watching the AH Let's Play or streaming videos but doubt I will ever actually play.

Just like I watch all of The Mighty Jingles World of Warships and World of Tanks videos but never played either of the games.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Because when I die I often barely see what's happening before it's over, I've installed GeForce Experience and will be enabling automatic video saves of ingame highlights. May God have mercy on my soul.

I'll let you know how it works out.

edit: 1 shot shotgunned. 1 death recorded. Gawd, starting to develop a love/hate for this game.

edit: Now to find out where the video was saved, as it's not in the shadowplay default location, and there is no way to set it in game, nor to watch the video.

edit: Ok, the save location is set by a different setting, for Highlights. Game videos has one location, highlights has another. Fine. No problem.

Worked perfectly. Was able to watch my dumbass get ganked. Whatever my feelings about PUBG or Nvidia, the automatic highlight recording worked perfectly.
Last edited by GreenGoo on Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

I have one guilty pleasure and that is Big Brother. The finale is on tonight and I'll be watching that with my wife. Not sure when it will be over but I'll be on afterward.

How late do you usually play?
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Redfive wrote:I have one guilty pleasure and that is Big Brother. The finale is on tonight and I'll be watching that with my wife. Not sure when it will be over but I'll be on afterward.

How late do you usually play?
That's fine, my wife is almost certainly going to be watching as well. I'm in no rush to trying Duo, although I certainly am ready whenever you or anyone else wants to try. Give me a shout later if you're around. Or tomorrow. Whenever is totally cool.