WoW Expansion: Battle for Azeroth

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

noxiousdog

Re: WoW Expansion: Battle for Azeroth

Post by noxiousdog »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:53 am I don't entirely disagree. I have never found group content to be all that bad. That's especially true at the end of an expansion when there is almost no interaction due to most groups rushing through the content so fast that they don't have time to type. I just know a whole lot of people who so dislike gaming with random strangers that they will actively avoid anything like it.

I love WoW, and I've played off and on since launch. They've just got this annoying approach that puts the top 10% of all content behind high-end group stuff. It wouldn't be so bad if it was just certain types of content, but crafting, flight, storylines, lore, cosmetics, pets, mounts, quests, 'special content (garrisons, holidays), meta achievements, and so much more always seems to end up at the door to a dungeon, raid, arena, or battleground.
It's an MMORPG. I'm surprised it's as low at 10%, but I think that's a pretty accurate number.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I quit after we played the panda area to death and have never returned. Since my best gaming bud has given up gaming all together I never see myself returning. This looks good but dont care to go it alone.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

noxiousdog wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:59 am
Blackhawk wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:53 am I don't entirely disagree. I have never found group content to be all that bad. That's especially true at the end of an expansion when there is almost no interaction due to most groups rushing through the content so fast that they don't have time to type. I just know a whole lot of people who so dislike gaming with random strangers that they will actively avoid anything like it.

I love WoW, and I've played off and on since launch. They've just got this annoying approach that puts the top 10% of all content behind high-end group stuff. It wouldn't be so bad if it was just certain types of content, but crafting, flight, storylines, lore, cosmetics, pets, mounts, quests, 'special content (garrisons, holidays), meta achievements, and so much more always seems to end up at the door to a dungeon, raid, arena, or battleground.
It's an MMORPG. I'm surprised it's as low at 10%, but I think that's a pretty accurate number.
You shouldn't be able to 100% any MMO without group content, but you should be able to 100% some types of content.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:14 pm
noxiousdog wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:59 am

You shouldn't be able to 100% any MMO without group content, but you should be able to 100% some types of content.
I disagree, though I'd also be more on your side if LFR wasn't so accessible. When raiding was locked into only hardcore players it did lose my interest.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

noxiousdog wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:25 pm I disagree, though I'd also be more on your side if LFR wasn't so accessible. When raiding was locked into only hardcore players it did lose my interest.
I play almost exclusively solo yet I can do group content including raids any time I want thanks to LFR. The only things out of my reach are the mounts that only drop from Heroic raids - and even those I can probably get if I'm willing to join a group from the group finder tool.

There are a few crafting quests that require mythic dungeons to complete and I question how crafting will work going forward - if someone wants to level Legion crafting once BfA is out how are they going to get groups for those old 5-mans?

The most exciting recent news to me is the announcement that they're making PvP prestige levels account-wide. I've been doing the PvP WQs on my death knight to gain prestige levels for the mounts, toys and pets but I prefer to do actual PvP (battlegrounds, mostly) on my Hunter. Right now I feel like doing PVP on the Hunter is a waste of time because it doesn't help progress my prestige on my DK.

What's not clear yet is if they'll merge prestige levels or just set it to the highest character. If they're going to merge I'll start using all my daily WQ insta-completes to try to get prestige levels on alts.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Exodor wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:35 pm There are a few crafting quests that require mythic dungeons to complete and I question how crafting will work going forward - if someone wants to level Legion crafting once BfA is out how are they going to get groups for those old 5-mans?
I'm pretty sure you'd be able to solo them. At the very least duo.
Black Lives Matter

Exodor

Post by Exodor »

noxiousdog wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:52 pm
Exodor wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:35 pm There are a few crafting quests that require mythic dungeons to complete and I question how crafting will work going forward - if someone wants to level Legion crafting once BfA is out how are they going to get groups for those old 5-mans?
True, at 120 they should be soloable - in fact I've seen a few post about people soloing them at 110 - but my concern is that with new races and the scaling system it seems that Blizzard is encouraging levelling alts this expansion. An alt at 102 who wants to level crafting as they proceed through Legion content is going to have difficulty getting a group.

I liked the crafting quest lines in Legion but I hope if the have a similar system in BfA that it doesn't require dungeon runs.
Jag

Post by Jag »

Exodor wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:35 pmWhat's not clear yet is if they'll merge prestige levels or just set it to the highest character. If they're going to merge I'll start using all my daily WQ insta-completes to try to get prestige levels on alts.
I'm pretty sure they will use your highest level. I'd probably funnel all your WQ instas into honor on at least one character. They may also increase the honor gain in BFA so people don't feel like they have farm honor levels before BFA hits. They like to start with a level playing field.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Jag wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:02 pm I'm pretty sure they will use your highest level. I'd probably funnel all your WQ instas into honor on at least one character. They may also increase the honor gain in BFA so people don't feel like they have farm honor levels before BFA hits. They like to start with a level playing field.
That's what I've been doing with the DK - I use the insta to finish the 500 honor WQs then run around and hit the 300 honor WQ towers. I'm about to hit Prestige level 8 on that DK doing almost exclusively PvE content.

The side effect of doing all those WQs is he has ~100,000 order hall resources to use for gold missions - and I generally get 3-5 Blood of Sargeras to convert to resources for alts to keep their gold missions rolling. It's good for ~30K gold a day as long as I spend 20 minutes every morning going through the alts and queuing up the missions.

I like my gold farm. 8-)
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

The word is that all professions are getting a big overhaul, so it may be totally different from what we have now.

I despise the dungeon quests that are mandatory if I want to learn basic recipes (alchemy and engineering are the worst). I had 2 alchemists since Cataclysm - I unlearned it on one of my alts, because I just couldn't stand going through those quests again. For my engineers, one of them is a hunter, so I waited until he geared up and could solo normal dungeons. The other one is a mage, so I have to sit in queue for LFD, she won't be able to solo anything at level.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Exodor wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:02 pm
noxiousdog wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:52 pm
True, at 120 they should be soloable - in fact I've seen a few post about people soloing them at 110 - but my concern is that with new races and the scaling system it seems that Blizzard is encouraging levelling alts this expansion. An alt at 102 who wants to level crafting as they proceed through Legion content is going to have difficulty getting a group.

I liked the crafting quest lines in Legion but I hope if the have a similar system in BfA that it doesn't require dungeon runs.
I have had little issues getting groups leveling alts due to being able to use cross realm instancing.
Black Lives Matter

Jag

Post by Jag »

Exodor wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:08 pm The side effect of doing all those WQs is he has ~100,000 order hall resources to use for gold missions - and I generally get 3-5 Blood of Sargeras to convert to resources for alts to keep their gold missions rolling. It's good for ~30K gold a day as long as I spend 20 minutes every morning going through the alts and queuing up the missions.

I like my gold farm. 8-)
I'm considering resubbing to work my gold farm. Think I have 7 fully upgraded alts at 950 with a 4 or 5 more around 900. I found it took alot longer than 20min to manage the farm and resources for alts so I just quit altogether so I can focus on my other gaming backlog.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Jag wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:36 am I'm considering resubbing to work my gold farm. Think I have 7 fully upgraded alts at 950 with a 4 or 5 more around 900. I found it took alot longer than 20min to manage the farm and resources for alts so I just quit altogether so I can focus on my other gaming backlog.

I spend about 20-30 minutes each morning going through each alt and starting missions while I drink my morning coffee.

Each evening I take about 30 minutes to do all the PvP Tower world quests on my DK. That almost always gives me another 3-5 Bloods thanks to the Wardens shoulder enchant. At this point I have ~400 Blood of Sargeras saved so I can easily convert those to Order Resources and ship them to alts as needed.

It's not as easy and self-sustaining as the WoD garrisons but it's still quite profitable.
Toe

Post by Toe »

Exodor wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:56 pm
gilraen wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:42 pm I hate playing without flying too, but since the gating involved quest lines and rep - stuff that I do anyway - I didn't have to go out of the way to get it in Legion. The grind in WoD seemed worse, actually. No information yet on what the requirements will be in BfA.
I'm OK with them gating flying at the beginning of expansions as long as they don't wait too long to open it up. It worked OK in Legion and WoD

According to WoWhead the additional character slots are now active so I'm going to get started levelling my new characters - and using that free 110 boost to get another max-level guy
What burns me up the most about flying is how they consistently give it, then take it away. It is usually a lengthy process to get flying, which I am ok with mostly. Then they introduce new content/new area and, welp, back to ground mounts only. Times goes by and you can fly there. Yay!. Oh look, new content/new area, back to riding again. This time the timing was horrible for me as I just unlocked flying when the newest area came out. Was a real bummer. Also, I know its probable comes down to a resource issue, but I would like them to have plausible reasons to prevent flying and the subsequent unlocking of flying. Something like the main enemy faction has harpoons or something that takes you out of the sky, or the air up higher is toxic, etc and so unlocking flying makes more sense than the current "Devs say their content is made for ground mounts".
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I've read somewhere that they seriously regretted giving players flight after Wrath came out, and that they would completely remove it if they could. People would simply skip their content by flying directly to objectives, then complain about a lack of content. People flying directly to locations means that they are limited when it comes to scripted events and quest design. It means that much of the world and story they create simply got bypassed.

This is their compromise. You can fly, but only after you've completed most of the content at least once the traditional way.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:05 am I've read somewhere that they seriously regretted giving players flight after Wrath came out, and that they would completely remove it if they could. People would simply skip their content by flying directly to objectives, then complain about a lack of content. People flying directly to locations means that they are limited when it comes to scripted events and quest design. It means that much of the world and story they create simply got bypassed.

This is their compromise. You can fly, but only after you've completed most of the content at least once the traditional way.
Final Fantasy XIV did the same thing. Ground mounts only in new zones until you got through the main story questline. It annoyed me at first, but I totally understand why they did it.

I rolled a new Worgen last night. I was enjoying my Panda, but made a mistake choosing Horde (I always struggle with playing the "badguy" in any game). It's the one starting zone I hadn't really tried yet. Interesting, but seems rather buggy. Had a ton of random DC's, missing quest markers, doors that wouldn't open, etc. Hoping it was just something wonky last night.

I remember someone here was playing Alliance on Whisperwind, but can't remember who. Refresh my memory?
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

I would be upset if they removed flying from existing areas but I have no problem with new content being ground-only for a period of time.
I remember someone here was playing Alliance on Whisperwind, but can't remember who. Refresh my memory?
My main (Cobane) and my army of alts are Alliance on Whisperwind. You can /tell me if you need anything.

I believe Jag is playing there as well.
Last edited by Exodor on Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Skinypupy wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:18 am I rolled a new Worgen last night. I was enjoying my Panda, but made a mistake choosing Horde (I always struggle with playing the "badguy" in any game).
The Horde are not bad guys. They just don't like your racist authoritarian governments. ;)
Black Lives Matter

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Skinypupy wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:18 am

I rolled a new Worgen last night. I was enjoying my Panda, but made a mistake choosing Horde (I always struggle with playing the "badguy" in any game).
Then you should stick with Horde. I've played through both campaigns, and the Alliance fit the 'bad guy' label far more often than the Horde (Forsaken excepted.)
Jag

Post by Jag »

Exodor wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:30 am I would but upset if they removed flying from existing areas but I have no problem with new content being ground-only for a period of time.
My main (Cobane) and my army of alts are Alliance on Whisperwind. You can /tell me if you need anything.

I believe Jag is playing there as well.
Yep, but I'm on a break. Will probably resub soon. Feel free to hit me up for anything.
Toe

Post by Toe »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:05 am I've read somewhere that they seriously regretted giving players flight after Wrath came out, and that they would completely remove it if they could. People would simply skip their content by flying directly to objectives, then complain about a lack of content. People flying directly to locations means that they are limited when it comes to scripted events and quest design. It means that much of the world and story they create simply got bypassed.

I understand all that but it still smacks of laziness and lack of imagination on their part, in my opinion. Why can't they, i don't know, come up with content that incorporates flying ~gasp~.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Toe wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:00 pm I understand all that but it still smacks of laziness and lack of imagination on their part, in my opinion. Why can't they, i don't know, come up with content that incorporates flying ~gasp~.

Because 3D movement in WoW is terrible - spend some time in Val'sharah for a vivid demonstration.

/shudder
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

I'm playing Alliance on Hellscream and am in an awesome guild. Anybody on that server can feel free to hit me up too. (Though I don't have an army of alts..)
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Toe wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:00 pm

I understand all that but it still smacks of laziness and lack of imagination on their part, in my opinion. Why can't they, i don't know, come up with content that incorporates flying ~gasp~.
Because at best it would be a kludge. They experimented with allowing flying and it didn't work, so they've compromised.
Black Lives Matter

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

They have had some content that required flying, but it is so easy to get these days that it would be meaningless to do it that way again (not to mention the fact that most people don't actually go to the group content to do it anymore.)
RLMullen

Post by RLMullen »

I quit playing WoW four years ago. A few weeks ago I somehow ended up in the Blizzard store clicking on the pre-order button for Battle for Azeroth. I got Legion for free and a 110 boost, which I foolishly used already.

I need a new server. I'm too old for PvP servers, and all of my high level characters are still on Emerald Dream... go Hordenance. It's not that I can't do PvP anymore, and I'm pretty used to ganking, but I simply don't care about non-consensual PvP anymore. I don't want to have to know how to PvP with every class, and I don't want to worry about using a substandard PvE spec just because I might get jumped at any point. I gotta get off this PvP server.

From now until August I'll be exploring the content that I missed, and generally goofing off. I'd like to get onto the server where I plan to play Battle for Azeroth now. Where is everybody playing? I'd prefer to stay Horde, but I have no problem spending money to make things work... either do a faction switch or drop $60 for a 110 boost. I'm not in a hurry to get in a guild; I just want to get some of my chars off of this damned PvP server.

I have to say, it is interesting looking at the old guild roster. Even after we did a bunch of pruning years ago, the bottom of the list still shows someone who last logged in 10 years ago!!

Funny story, at least it was funny to me. I was pushing my hunter through to 98 so I could get to Legion content. I was doing quests in Ark of whatever the hell. I get jumped by two folks who were the same level as me. They flew in so they were certainly alts. I was still trying to figure out how to play again so I'm completely lost. Since they weren't doing much damage, I got up and went to the bathroom while they were still beating me to death. I stopped in the kitchen, grabbed a drink, made a sandwich, fed the dogs, and casually made it back to the computer. When I got back to my corpse, the two idiots were camping. I started laughing so hard that I scared one of the dogs. Somewhere in the world there were two people who were not only proud of themselves, but were intent on making sure to ruin my night. While I was in the bathroom taking a piss, they were at their keyboards smashing keys. While I was goofing off in the kitchen, they were sitting there in anticipation of another kill. I'd finally won! I effectively wasted a great deal of their time, while I was somewhat productive. I rezzed; they attacked. I ran for a bit to make is look good, then I got up and walked away from the computer. We repeated this a few times, and in that time I managed to put a load of laundry in the washer, and I took the trash out.

I still have to get off of this damned PvP server!!
Jag

Post by Jag »

PvP is being totally changed. There will no longer be separate servers split by pvp and pve. PvP will be manually activated by the player, but there are some rewards for playing while pvp enabled.
World PvP - you toggle PvP or PvE on or off in a capital city or in a town. Then you can fight others who are PvP marked or not have to fight at all if you choose not to be PvP enabled. There will be no more PvP or PvE only servers. RP servers will be exempt from this and will continue to follow the existing rules.
https://www.mmorpg.com/world-of-warcraf ... 1000047236
RLMullen

Post by RLMullen »

I saw some people talking about the PvP changes in trade chat. Emerald Dream is RP-PVP, so it won't change. I imagine that RP-PVP servers will become complete cesspools once the change happens because that is where the dedicated gankers will land.

I wouldn't want to wait for the change. Since the main enjoyment that I'm getting out of the game is actually reading quest text, I'm getting tired of getting jumped while I'm trying to read. :shock: Since I cannot fly... pathfinder is bullshirt by the way... I've lost one of the best defenses when playing on a PvP server. Likewise those who have earned their wings now have a decided advantage in that they can drop in from above. Now that there seems to be some weather modeled, I can't rely on shadows to warn of a pending air assault. See all the fun you've been missing for the past 14 years!! :horse:
Jag

Post by Jag »

RLMullen wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:44 pm See all the fun you've been missing for the past 14 years!! :horse:
I made a character on Emerald Dream when a bunch of people moved over there, but then i stayed on WW. I'm not a sadist :)
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I rolled a Worgen and made it through the starting zone. Ended up in Darnassus, which I assume is a major hub town...and I was literally the only PC there. Ran around for about 20 minutes thinking maybe I was missing something, but didn't see another soul.

Is that kinda odd to be completely dead at 10:30 MT on a Friday, or is it the norm? My only basis of comparison is being in Orgrammar with my panda, and that place was always packed with players.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Orgrimmar is the main Horde hub. It's where most Horde players head to use the Auction House and whatnot. On Alliance, I mostly see people in Stormwind and a bit in Ironforge if they are not in Dalaran. Darnassus has been a backwater for awhile, like Undercity on the Horde side.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I get a feeling their released player numbers are way off. They just recently proved I think it was WOW that the released numbers are signups and not active active accounts..at least in total. fudging the numbers.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

In vanilla WoW each race had a hub town - Darnassus was the Night Elf capitol. Since Burning Crusade hit in... 2007? each expansion has had a different hub. BC it was Shattrath, in Wrath it was Dalaran, in Cataclysm it was the faction capitols (Orgrimmar for Horde, Stormwind for Alliance), and so on. Right now it is Dalaran again (although a different version of Dalaran.) Stormwind/Orgrimmar are usually both busy as well, depending on the server. Other race cities - Darnassus, Exodar, Silvermoon, Thunder Bluff, and so on are usually deserted, or close to it. Darnassus and Exodar are so isolated that they're worse than the others. Ironforge is still a travel hub, for instance, but the only reason to be in Darnassus is to do something in Darnassus.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

That makes sense, thanks. Just felt like a rather jarring change coming from Orgrimmar to a ghost town.

I have to admit that coming from games like FF XIV, ESO, and GW2, the lack of an actual fast travel option drives me nuts. Unless there is one and I just don’t know how to use it, which is entirely possible.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

There are options. Hearthstones for one. You'll have a personal one that you can set at a destination of your choice. There will be one for your personal keep from Draenor, and one for the new Dalaran. They teleport you to said location every X minutes. There are portals which, once you learn where they are, can get you between major cities and regions very, very quickly. Mages can teleport, scribes have an extra hearth (or used to, it's been a while since I played one.)
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:59 am I get a feeling their released player numbers are way off. They just recently proved I think it was WOW that the released numbers are signups and not active active accounts..at least in total. fudging the numbers.
I don’t know who you are talking about but it’s not Blizzard. They are publicly traded and are subject to the Security Exchange Commission transparency laws and they have always reported current subs, not active accounts.
Black Lives Matter
RLMullen

Post by RLMullen »

Lorini wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:38 am
Daehawk wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:59 am I get a feeling their released player numbers are way off. They just recently proved I think it was WOW that the released numbers are signups and not active active accounts..at least in total. fudging the numbers.
I don’t know who you are talking about but it’s not Blizzard. They are publicly traded and are subject to the Security Exchange Commission transparency laws and they have always reported current subs, not active accounts.
This. I'd also add that since the subscription numbers directly affect revenue, those numbers are audited constantly. A publicly traded company has to release fully audited financials every quarter. If they released "fudged" numbers, there would be people in jail, and one of the remaining big accounting firms would no longer exist.

I've worked in this space for a global publicly traded company. I worked on software that calculates revenue. I had auditors dragging me into meetings constantly. They went over everything... EVERYTHING... with a fine toothed comb... every... damned... three... months!!

Whatever numbers Blizzard quoted are completely accurate.
RLMullen

Post by RLMullen »

Jag wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:50 pm
RLMullen wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:44 pm See all the fun you've been missing for the past 14 years!! :horse:
I made a character on Emerald Dream when a bunch of people moved over there, but then i stayed on WW. I'm not a sadist :)
That was when Hordenance was chartered. We had a good group for quite a few years. We even managed to get 10 people committed to running Karazhan for a few months. That was when the raiding bug bit Fretmute. He ended up being raid leader and then guild master for the largest progression guild on the server during the WotLK xpac.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Lorini wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:38 am
Blizzard stopped releasing subscription numbers in Nov. 2015. The only metric they provide is active accounts on a monthly/quarterly basis.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

But they name them active accounts not subscriptions right? I remember that now. So thanks for the correction.
Black Lives Matter