PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

GreenGoo

Re: PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds

Post by GreenGoo »

Came in #3 after a nice little duel with #2 (actually, he probably won) involving grenades, tons of healing, random body shots and blue circle of death. Would have won the duel too except threw my grenades a little too far.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Frey, Doom and I finally manage to get Doom his first dinner as a 3 man squad.

Enlarge Image
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

GreenGoo wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 2:13 am Frey, Doom and I finally manage to get Doom his first dinner as a 3 man squad.

Enlarge Image

I'm not supposed to mention that Goo pretty much earned us the win at the end. :shhh:
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Nice congrats! Big patch being pushed out tonight. Love the changes from what I read. M24 is out of the crates but they needed it’s damage. Still should be better than the kar.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
UsulofDoom

Post by UsulofDoom »

Freyland wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 8:46 am
GreenGoo wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 2:13 am Frey, Doom and I finally manage to get Doom his first dinner as a 3 man squad.

Enlarge Image

I'm not supposed to mention that Goo pretty much earned us the win at the end. :shhh:
I think you did it Frey with your blind shot at the last guy. Sorry for throwing the flash bang near you. my bad! :D
If I make a grammar or spelling mistake, PM me. I will correct it. It’s better than you being an asshole!

No one knows the truth, only hypothesis, assumptions, conjectures, speculations, presumptions, guesses and theories.

We are not Gods, but nature. No more than one of many dominate species that will inhabit this planet for a short period of time, on its ever so long journey through the universe.
UsulofDoom

Post by UsulofDoom »

Right in between Frey's 12 and 3 retile is the flash bang.

Then this was his view

Then it cleared a little for the kill.

I checked what the other team had seen . The flash bang went off behind them and did not affect their view.
If I make a grammar or spelling mistake, PM me. I will correct it. It’s better than you being an asshole!

No one knows the truth, only hypothesis, assumptions, conjectures, speculations, presumptions, guesses and theories.

We are not Gods, but nature. No more than one of many dominate species that will inhabit this planet for a short period of time, on its ever so long journey through the universe.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Thanks for posting that, Doom! It all happened so quickly, so it's nice to be able to break it down and appreciate. I still can't fathom how my bullets actually managed to hit what I couldn't see!
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

As I'm fond of mentioning, someone who lands at a nearby group of buildings can be at your group of buildings in a very short period of time. A dude dropped at a group of about 7 buildings, got lucky, looted 2 of them and had everything he needed except for a backpack. He then ran to my group of buildings and waited for me. He hid in a bush for over 5 minutes as I ran from building to building, finding low quality loot (except for the level 3 backpack!).

Eventually I came out of a door of a building that was right in front of the bush he was hiding in, which sounds like it was planned out but he hid there long before I had looted the buildings and there was no method to my looting, which could have resulted in me exiting any other building from any other doorway.

In any case, I walked straight into m16 fire and dropped immediately. I had a duckbilled auto shotgun and my own m16 with 30 5.56mm rounds, a level 1 helmet that he shot off and a lvl 1 vest that he damaged.

I'm not bitter about it, but it seems like a high risk, low payoff tactic. Sure, it worked out this time, in that he got a kill. He also got 30 rounds of ammunition and an auto shotgun. Obviously the level 3 backpack is a huge deal, but something tells me those other 3 buildings he never looted held more valuable loot than what I provided him with.

Anyway, my point is that this dude was in my group of buildings before I was halfway through looting them. I was not incautious and was actually aware that he might decide to come hunting. In the replay you can see me surveying my territory multiple times, and I scan left to right as I exit the door seconds before I get mowed down.

I'm not sure there is anything that can really be done in that situation, except be more observant, but as anyone who has planned the game knows, creeping around and wasting time being cautious right after you land very rarely pays dividends, and more often just results in wasted time and inefficiency.

I won't be changing how I loot when I first drop, at least not until this happens a lot more often.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Was it third person? I found hiding in bushes in 1st person doesn't work that well. In third person it's so freaking strong. There's nothing you can do if someone is willing to go hide in a bush for 5 minutes. Sometimes you just have to shrug and just move on.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Nah, 1st person.

From the time I left the building to the time I was dead was about 1 second. Maybe 1.5. I never saw who killed me until I watched the death cam. I was too busy scanning my flanks.

It was just one of those times when there really isn't anything you can do. Sure I could have looted differently or something, but there really wasn't any clues or reasons to do anything differently. Hindsight is 20/20 and all that.

With that said, I have been noting an increased aggressiveness and hunting of people who drop nearby. It just seems like people are pursuing early kills more regularly (outside of hot drops) rather than survival tactics in general. It's one of the reasons I was particularly alert for action that early, even though I failed to detect it.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

My biggest challenge right now are the people who can kill anyone they see. i.e. if they see you first, you're dead. Period.

As I whined at Frey, I am constantly flabbergasted by those who can headshot a randomly moving target with a Kar98 within 1-1.5 seconds of seeing the target on the field.

I mean, I watch some of the top twitchers and they do it all the time, so I assume it's not cheating, but holy shit, as an average player (the stats say I'm in the top 1% 1.2% (new season), but that obviously can't be true because I am regularly defeated by literally anyone I come across) you just take the loss and start up another game and hope things turn out better.

The more I whine, the more I realize the game REALLY needs some sort of match making based on success rating. The designers promised matchmaking based on their chess style rating system, but I have never seen any evidence of that.

Part of my problem is that my overall rating and "win" rating are relatively closely matched, but my "kill" rating is significantly below those. SIGNIFICANTLY. So while the rating system is accurate in that I'm often in the top 10 (4 of my 17 in the new season) in solo games, I am almost completely unable to defeat another player on even terms. Sure I can murder you if you're looting, or afk, or sniping someone else, but in a head to head fight I'd say I lose 9 out of 10 fights. I think my k/d ratio is something like 0.15 0.12 (new season) which is, obviously, terrible.

Some observations on that.
1) When I first started the game I was somewhere between 0.33 and 0.5. Still terrible, but much better than now.
2) When I first started playing, I would often die without knowing where my killer was. i.e. I never even engaged them. I was just assassinated and that was that.
3) Now, I often do 50+ damage to my killer before I die.

So from my perspective I am MUCH better in 1v1 fights while I lose MUCH more often than I used to do. Basically I spot enemies and hit them in duels more often than before, while I am not successfully finishing anyone off like I used to be able to do.

My conclusion is that I'm MUCH better than I used to be, but my opponents are also MUCH better than they used to be. And their "much" is much more than my "much".

I have no idea why this game still has its hooks in me. I end every night disappointed and yet every new day I have optimism that things will be fun and I will do well "today". So weird. Like a gambling addiction. There is no evidence or reason for optimism yet it keeps coming back, day after day.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

God I am just so terrible. Outplayed this dude so badly he might as well have been asleep, got the drop on him, ump vs. ump, watching my death cam, you can literally see my bullets trailing around behind him and then he switches strafing directions (the only reason I hit him at all, he turned back into my fire) and then you can watch my bullets trail him in the other direction.

I freakin' owned him in every way possible, except for when we fired little pieces of metal at each other, which of course is the only way that matters.

Terribad.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Shortly afterward I get caught from behind as we both ran for the circle, he hits me twice with an ump, a 3rd bullet goes off my pan (thank you, pan maker) and I find him and open up with my full auto 416 at short range. Unfortunately I was at full run and the reticle is about 1/2 the size of the screen and I can't get it to tighten up. He ducks behind a tree and I assume he's going to peak the other side so I ads with my 2x scope and he just pops back out from the same side he went in (he was reloading, I missed that) and while I get a few shots off none land and he finishes me. Oh, and he had a nice little wound on his hand (feet/hands take significantly less damage).

Another, we're in a very small group of houses, we both know the other is there. I fully expect him to come from a certain direction as he's trying to flank me around the back, I'm aiming down sight through a window waiting for him. He does exactly what I expect, he's moving (matters for ads or tightening aim) and I'm not. He moves into view, I open up and my first bullet hits him before he can even get his barrel up, he opens up, I hit him twice total for 35 points of damage and he kills me. Watching my captured video (i.e. not the replay feature, which can be inaccurate) my aim absolutely bounces around too much because I was ADS with a holographic and he came into view fast and at short distance (5m or less). So that's on me. But that's part of what I'm talking about. I had the drop on him and simply failed to execute.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I have just been informed that I am extra crotchety lately, which means you should probably just ignore any current or near future rants I make. But not medium future rants. Those are still totally valid.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I find the crotchety amusing and informative. No one likes an optimistic reviewer. Can't trust 'em.

I sometimes think about playing again, then I see this thread come back around again and remember how I kept staying up for an hour or two after playing as the adrenaline wore off and think to myself "Not yet."
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

GG it's not just you. This game drives me INSANE with how good 99.99% everyone is. I think it's even worse for me as the higher I get up on the leader board the worse it seems to get. After the first week of a reset I'm just banging my head into a wall.

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I haven't played in a while, but...

50% of the players are dead before the first circle closes. These are not all skilled players that are just unlucky.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Last night went much better for everyone, and one particular game ended with us as #2 with everyone on the team having multiple kills.

Here's something that was interesting in a solo game I had.

I've always thought the buggy was the best combination of speed, stability, responsiveness, offroad ability and armor protection. I also have a habit of driving on paved roads for pretty much any vehicle that isn't the buggy.

In this particular case I'm on the desert map and need to get from the NW corner to the NE corner, so I drive through the trainyard town on the main road with a buggy. Some people take pot shots at me but nothing serious so I just keep trucking. Well, I think I hear another vehicle so I lay off the throttle and yep, here comes something. It's catching me, so I hammer the brake and park in the middle of the road. I'm waiting to see if the guy wants to fight or is just travelling. WHAM! He wants to fight and crashes his muscle car right into me. As per the hilarious physics, I personally take zero damage and he takes about 10%. I jump out while the muscle car is still trying to figure out where it's going to come to a stop, and it tilts up and away from me so I can see the underside of the car, but I can also see the car door and the dude's head right above that. I open up with my uzi at close range, absolutely killing his car door. There are about 20 bullet decals on the door just below his head. I'm out of rounds and he pops out and opens up with his 416. I race towards him trying to get inside his barrel length as I switch to my AKM. It almost works, but he gets a direct hit on my lvl 2 helmet and before I can put my own crosshair on him, I'm down.

Reviewing the replay, I can see that the muscle car guy is the same guy that took potshots at me as I sped through town. He shot at me and after I had passed, hoped in a muscle car and chased me down. Despite driving at full speed and the muscle car starting from a full stop without a driver, he caught up to me in less than 1km.

My lesson learned is that the buggy is not nearly as fast as I thought it was on pavement, and the muscle car is a beast in a straight line. Sure, we all probably knew that already, but it really came to light when the 2 are directly compared like this.

The whole thing had a very Mad Max feel to it.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Some videos with a happier theme than my normal downer posts.

Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Didn't win anything and didn't kill much, but we had some fun rounds. :D The auto duel is one of my favorite starts ever. :lol:

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Octavious wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:00 am Didn't win anything and didn't kill much, but we had some fun rounds. :D The auto duel is one of my favorite starts ever. :lol:
Yep, that was cool. I'll see if I can do something with the replay. It could probably use some decent editing to take into account the 2 vehicles we had, but I'm not a video editor.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Finally won one since the reset. I just have been terrible as of late. Killed a guy who had a ghillie suit an m249 and a kar98. AND the final circle was a big grass field. If I didn't win that one I think I might have taken a long break. In the final 3 I took one guy out hiding behind a tree with the kar98. Last guy had no idea where I was and was running around in the field. Hit a tracking shot with the kar98 to drop him to half health and then finished him off with the m249. Second later I would have lost as he tossed a few grenades at me after finally spotting me. Good times.

Last match of the night I got second. I was fully decked out, but made a dumb move to a poor position and got quickly killed. :( I did get a sweet sweet sks kill though. The trick to that gun is headshot, bodyshot dead. Generally they don't have time to react from the headshot to get out of the way of the body shot. As I was silenced it made it even easier. Fun gun when used properly.

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Frey and I had a pretty fun night at least from my perspective. Lots of fights, winning some, losing some, only a few rage inducing moments. Generally decent placement. As long as I get to shoot at my killer before I drop, I'm mostly happy. Hell, sometimes I even win. I got an uzi kill in the hospital that the game tells me was from 2m away :D
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

It *must* have been fun, 'cause Goo stayed up late to "Freyland levels" of foolishness.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Freyland wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:55 pm It *must* have been fun, 'cause Goo stayed up late to "Freyland levels" of foolishness.
Yeah, that was insane. I think I was also frustrated that my kids' homework ate into my evening game time, so I just...extended my game time into the morning hours. More so than usual.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Superman punch to an unhelmeted head does 57 points of damage.

This was part of a discussion between Frey and I when I finally (first time after hundreds of hours of play, as far as I know) landed a superman punch to someone's unhelmeted head during a fist fight at the start of a round. And I lost the fight anyway. :roll:
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Finally got around to watching the latest jacky video, and it turns to be a really good one, for me at least. Turns out that the Kar98 with an 8x scope against a running target, you need to lead your target [nearly] the exact same distance whether they are at 100m or 500m.

I know that sounds weird, but the horizontal scale of the 8x scope and the size of the target in the scope and the bullet speed (which drops the farther it goes. i.e. it's faster when traveling from 100m to 200m than it is when traveling from 400m to 500m) results in a nearly perfect, stationary horizontal spot when leading your target.

Essentially, you need to put the second dot from the outside edge of the scope on your target no matter if they are at 100m or 500m.

Basically, you lead your target the same amount at 100m or 500m.

Bullet drop however, is another story. You still need to account for that if you don't zero your scope, so firing above your target is still required. BUT. If you do zero your scope your aim point is the exact same whether your target is 100m or 500m (assuming you zero'd for the appropriate distance).

edit: Rewatching the video, I see the the vertical drop directly corresponds to the pips (dots) on the vertical scale. i.e. for every 100m further away (starting at 200m), you can use the next pip down the scale.

Pretty cool.

Since my explanation is terrible and repetitive, here's the video so you can watch for yourself.

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

After talking to Frey about my lack of understanding about how the various grips work in various roles, I finally got around to reviewing Jacky's videos on grips. While it wasn't very hard to figure out which grip did what better than another, Jacky's usage of both objective data and subjective descriptors, combined with the fact that some of the things he said in one video seemed counter to what he said in the other video (single fire video versus spray video), it is much harder to tell you WHY in a convincing way that a certain grip is better than another. I started making notes to do my own comparison but decided it was too difficult to really nail down comparative facts for each of the grips. So I've basically ranked them according to my own impressions based on his videos. There are a couple of places that I made my own subjective choices, so I'll try to mention those when they occur.

Most guns are used to fire 1 bullet at a time in rapid succession or auto-fire tons of bullets in a race to put more tiny bits of metal into the enemy before they can do the same to you, so the 2 categories are single tap rapid fire and full-auto.

Single tap rapid fire
---------------------------
  1. Vertical grip (best)
  2. Thumb grip (about the same as lightweight, but with bonuses to sway and speed of ADS)
  3. lightweight grip (could be considered slightly better than thumb grip, but has less utility bonuses)
  4. Angled grip (bad)
  5. Half grip (worst)
Full-Auto fire
---------------------------
  1. Half grip (best)
  2. Vertical grip (good)
  3. Thumb grip (average with some utility such as sway and ADS bonuses)
  4. Angled grip (bad)
  5. lightweight grip (worst. Does almost nothing in fact)

My take-away: Get a vertical grip and stop thinking about it, or better yet, don't start thinking about it. No brainer. If that's too easy, put a vertical on your SR/DMR and a half grip on your AR/SMG. If your AR must perform both roles, get a vertical grip and be thankful they made a single grip good at both jobs.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Also, I have recently been complaining about how something had changed with either the game's sounds or my hearing or both. It had gotten bad enough that I was going to do a diagnostic on my headphones. recently someone was able to climb some stairs near me without me hearing them (there was other stuff happening, but I still should have been able to hear them).

Just today I remembered that I had seen a new sound option in PUBG aways back and turned it on. HRTF, which is supposed to give some more precision to where you hear gun fire from. I also came across posts suggesting that it can conflict with other virtualization either with an onboard soundcard or with your headphones. My headphones have their own soundcard and can do positional sound, but I thought I had it turned off.

In any case, I'm going to try turning HRTF back off and see if that helps before I try anything else.
Last edited by GreenGoo on Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Thanks for the "gripping" post, Goo. Very helpful.
If your sound problem doesn't improve with your recent change, I have another thought, but I want to walk you through it rather than wing it here, and it might be specific to Windows 10.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I was a little surprised to see how far the angled grip has fallen. I still pick those up and even put them on my guns on occasion. No more!

Also, when I took a look at a video from one of our games, it sounds like I'm smugly telling all about that muzzle flash like you didn't believe me the first time. The truth is I never finished my thought because we were in a firefight and I started to focus on other things.

What I actually meant to convey is that in the firefight in question was a perfect example of what I was talking about earlier, which was that the flash hider is actually pretty useful against me, because even though my eyesight isn't perfect and I have trouble seeing crouching enemies in grass when I'm crouching too, if the enemy isn't hiding his flash, I can spot him fairly quickly. So if someone doesn't have a suppressor (these hide flash too) or a flash hider (perhaps instead choosing a compensator for better recoil control) it makes it much easier for me to see them.

In our firefight when the circle made us push the enemy out of necessity, I was able to spot an enemy who was at a decent distance and relatively decently concealed, simply because he fired at us without hiding his flash.

I can't quite explain it properly. It was less "see? I told you so" and more "thank god I can see his flash like I was talking about earlier".
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Octavious

Post by Octavious »

After never giving it much of a chance, I have to say that I just love the SKS. It's easily my favorite gun now. An UMP and the SKS it's a very deadly combo. Sure you lose out on the long range kills, but how often does that really work out? Mid range the thing is just a beast. If someone isn't moving I can easily two tap them. Even if I miss a few shots it's so quick to fire that it makes cleanup a snap.

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Completely agree. An UMP and SKS are a nearly perfect pairing and both do their jobs extremely well.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

For Cort.

Wacky Jacky does the 3x scope. Bottom line its aim sights are broken past 200m but the range finder works like other scopes (shoulder width).

Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I hate that sight oh so much. I'd rather use a 2x over it. Or obviously anything larger. My preference is 4x, 6x, 8x and then the 2x, THEN the 3x. And yes I like the 6x better than the 8x. It's just the right range to me. The 3x is a pile of poo and needs to be redone or removed.

Had a really nice 6 kill 3rd place before I went to sleep. I have purposely been landing in more populated areas which is making it more fun and upping my kill counts. I still don't drop military or school as I think that's just silly. Prison I will do sometimes, but that's really very hit or miss. If you get a hanger with a gun yay! If not run for your life. :tjg:

naednek

Post by naednek »

why is the blood green in your videos GreenGoo?
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

naednek wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:43 am why is the blood green in your videos GreenGoo?
He plays on the Vulcan server.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

naednek wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:43 am why is the blood green in your videos GreenGoo?
Hah, I forgot about that.

Korea doesn't like red blood, so pubg added green blood. You can turn it on via a -flag added to the executable.

I seem to have more trouble spotting enemies than others and once upon a time the green blood was easier to see. It was almost neon green.

This is no longer true and the green and red blood are very similar from a distance, meaning that the green blood used to be a minor advantage but is no longer.

The blood in my game is a relic of that. I just haven't bothered removing the -flag.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Not sure what changed this week, but aside from actually winning I have been on freaking fire. 5-6 kills in a solo match is not uncommon at all. I still can't use the AKM past 10m for the life of me, but pretty much any other gun I'm doing great with. The VSS is a freaking beast short to medium. I was wrecking people last night. The speed with which you can pour shots in is just kind of broken. :lol: