Westwood's Blade Runner 1997

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Daehawk

Westwood's Blade Runner 1997

Post by Daehawk »

Has anyone playing this on Win 7 or higher? Ive only loaded it once in years past and now with Cyberpunk coming soon Im interested in playing it. So Im wondering if it even works and if its a good game....enough to fool with getting to work :) AFAIK there was never a digital version so its multi cd or nothing.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Anonymous Bosch

Re: Westwood's Blade Runner 1997

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

With a 64-bit OS, you do need to use a patched installer to get Blade Runner running properly. But if memory serves, it runs fine if you follow the instructions in that link.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

It does! I can attest to that.
-mf
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

BTW, here's a write-up from Eurogamer that elucidates what makes the game such an understated classic:
Eurogamer.net wrote: Westwood's Blade Runner is an all-time classic in danger of being forgotten
Hard to replicant.

Edward Love
Contributor

Some of the brightest lights of 90s gaming are beginning to wheeze, croak and lose some of their sparkle. But just as they take a step towards retirement, they're given a new lick of paint and booted back through the door in remastered form. Or kept upright by a battery of emulators and plastered across the front page of GOG. We're truly spoilt. But what happens when a golden oldie can't be revived?

As a new Blade Runner film arrives in cinemas today, the video game that shares its name should be front and centre on GOG. But short of rebuilding it brick by brick, Blade Runner will never get a facelift or a new home. In 2003, a terabyte of data was lost. The source code went down the drain, and ever since, Westwood's magnum opus has been buried beneath the weight of time.

If you're lucky, you can still pick up an original copy on eBay or Amazon. Inside the enormous cardboard box, you'll find four discs to be fed into your drive. Getting it to work isn't particularly straightforward - for that you'll need a patch and a fair wind to have it up and running on a modern operating system.

The effort is worth it, though. As Ray McCoy steps out into the everlong night, the collar of his trench coat turned up against the rain, Blade Runner exudes a quality all the greats have: a sense of timelessness. It's a point-and-click adventure game of the highest order; pitting a single cop against humanoid androids fighting the bureaucratic machine. Its years in cyrosleep have maintained its good looks, but in many ways, Blade Runner has always been ahead of the curve.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Thank you. I guess Ill dabble in the world of BR this weekend.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Thanks again Bosch. That installer from the German site worked great. It also provided me wit ha separate file that was required.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

The game is very slow moving I can give it that. I seem to be out of clues. I know Im either missing something at one of the scenes or in one of the pics...'enhance' but not sure what without cheating. I just chased the fat Asian guy and then had him come after em at my apartment. Other than that im stuck it seems.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:09 am The game is very slow moving I can give it that.
The film is slow-moving.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Man, I loved this game.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

No more worries about being forgotten - it's now on GoG, starting today. I still have my original CDs somewhere, but I fully acknowledge they're useless.

Maybe next year, maybe no go
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

I'm thinking this must have been a bit tougher than thought, November 2019 seems like a more appropriate time for this announcement.
In any case, I'm excited and I'm much more likely to play if I don't have to dig out my CDs for this.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:50 pmNo more worries about being forgotten - it's now on GoG, starting today. I still have my original CDs somewhere, but I fully acknowledge they're useless.
This is not the first time a "lost" game has been recovered for GOG. I wonder what they're doing to bring them back to life. One assumes it involves breaking apart an original disc set, without the source code, and reviving it somehow.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.