Fundraising for 2019/2020: 12 Months Renewed - We are good until October 2020. Paypal Donation Link Here

Control

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Post Reply
User avatar
gbasden
Posts: 5902
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 1:57 am
Location: Sacramento, CA

Control

Post by gbasden » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:52 pm

Has anyone picked this up? I love Remedy as a developer, and Quantum Break was brilliant. I'm strongly considering purchasing it, but I thought I'd bounce it off the hive mind first.

User avatar
Sepiche
Posts: 8002
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:00 pm
Location: Olathe, KS
Sepiche’s avatar
Loading…

Re: Control

Post by Sepiche » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:11 am

I haven't picked it up as $60 just feels a little pricey, but I've watched a few people play through a few hours of the game, and it looks really good. Kind of gives me a bit of a Halflife vibe, and the gunplay looks really fun.

User avatar
wonderpug
Posts: 9711
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2004 4:38 pm
Location: Albuquerque, NM

Re: Control

Post by wonderpug » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:25 am

I'm intrigued by the little gameplay videos in the advertisements, but haven't bitten on it yet. Got a few too many other things I'm actively playing at the moment -- if the game had released over the summer I probably would've already tried it.

stimpy
Posts: 3969
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2005 6:04 pm

Re: Control

Post by stimpy » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:35 am

gbasden wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:52 pm
Has anyone picked this up? I love Remedy as a developer, and Quantum Break was brilliant. I'm strongly considering purchasing it, but I thought I'd bounce it off the hive mind first.
My opinion is yes......you should buy it. Then let us know how it is......
It makes my dookie twinkle.

User avatar
gbasden
Posts: 5902
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 1:57 am
Location: Sacramento, CA

Re: Control

Post by gbasden » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:49 am

stimpy wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:35 am
gbasden wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:52 pm
Has anyone picked this up? I love Remedy as a developer, and Quantum Break was brilliant. I'm strongly considering purchasing it, but I thought I'd bounce it off the hive mind first.
My opinion is yes......you should buy it. Then let us know how it is......
OK, fine! I'll take the plunge tonight. :)

User avatar
Jag
Posts: 14130
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:24 pm
Location: SoFla
Jag’s avatar
Loading…

Re: Control

Post by Jag » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:13 pm

If you have any RTX card you can get a key cheap from Reddit. I got Control and Wolfenstein Youngblood for $18 for both. It's a legit key you redeem from Nvidia. Then redeem from Epic and Bethesda for each game.

I'm loving Control. It is really fun. Interesting story and fun gameplay. Totally took me by surprise. Very torn between playing Control and Greedfall right now.

User avatar
gbasden
Posts: 5902
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 1:57 am
Location: Sacramento, CA

Re: Control

Post by gbasden » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:44 am

I totally missed that special, so of course I shelled out $60 for it. :grund:

On the plus side, I agree with Jag. It's really beautiful on Ultra with ray tracing turned on, and the story is great so far.

User avatar
MonkeyFinger
Posts: 3150
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2004 10:23 pm
Location: South of Denver, CO

Re: Control

Post by MonkeyFinger » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:14 am

I picked this up for my XB1 and agree with the thoughts here. I've also been using headphones most times I play, it reminded me a bit of Hellblade with all of the voices and other atmospheric audio elements of the game. Also found it interesting that they have a ‘Mute Copyrighted Tracks’ music option. 8-)
-mf

User avatar
MonkeyFinger
Posts: 3150
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2004 10:23 pm
Location: South of Denver, CO

Re: Control

Post by MonkeyFinger » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:57 am

September update. Out now on PS4, coming RSN for other platforms.
-mf

User avatar
Asharak
Posts: 7878
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 9:11 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada
Contact:

Re: Control

Post by Asharak » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:21 am

gbasden wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:52 pm
Has anyone picked this up? I love Remedy as a developer, and Quantum Break was brilliant.
First, thank you for confirming that I'm not the only one who really enjoyed Quantum Break. The internet consensus seems to like semi-shit on that game and it annoys me.

Second, yes, I've played Control. As Jag mentioned, I got it as a pack-in with the RTX 2070 I picked up this summer (basically getting an $80 game that I wanted to play anyway for free was a large part of what made the card affordable for me). I haven't finished it yet and I only have a few minutes to write but I'll share what I can:

The most important thing to know about the game is that it's a telekinesis simulator. Yes, there's a funky gun, and yes, you can levitate and mind control enemies, etc., but chucking filing cabinets at people's faces never. gets. old. Everything else about the game is really carried by the fact that splatting people with concrete slabs is endlessly entertaining (and with the right character upgrades, you really can do the majority of your fighting with just the telekinesis).

The game is absolutely gorgeous. That said, it's also really demanding. My CPU is about four years old and I got "just" a 2070 (not even the Super variant), so I haven't been able to play at 4K or with ray tracing on High. But even at 1440p with Medium ray tracing, it's beautiful. Definitely a visual showcase game, if you've got the hardware for it.

No story spoilers from me, but I'm enjoying it so far. Basically it's a "what if the government had actually taken Fox Mulder seriously and funded the X-Files for the last hundred years" kind of thing: instead of two people investigating weird paranormal shit, there's an entire, massive agency devoted to it (all of whom work in a single office building/TARDIS that is -- wait for it -- bigger on the inside). Oh, and I really liked the Alan Wake easter eggs.

So, definitely a tentative up-vote from me. I think I'm probably three-quarters of the way through it or so. Now I just hope they can stick the landing.

- Ash

morlac
Posts: 3653
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2004 4:25 pm
Location: Just outside the ATL

Re: Control

Post by morlac » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:18 pm

MonkeyFinger wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:14 am
I picked this up for my XB1 and agree with the thoughts here. I've also been using headphones most times I play, it reminded me a bit of Hellblade with all of the voices and other atmospheric audio elements of the game. Also found it interesting that they have a ‘Mute Copyrighted Tracks’ music option. 8-)
The mute options is for Streamers so they don't get in trouble with youtube/etc. Starting to see that option more and more.

User avatar
Jag
Posts: 14130
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:24 pm
Location: SoFla
Jag’s avatar
Loading…

Re: Control

Post by Jag » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:19 pm

tl;dr
Asharak wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:21 am
The most important thing to know about the game is that it's a telekinesis simulator.
Image

User avatar
Jag
Posts: 14130
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:24 pm
Location: SoFla
Jag’s avatar
Loading…

Re: Control

Post by Jag » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:58 pm

Update on what's coming next for Control

https://controlgame.com/control-communi ... whats-new/

User avatar
gbasden
Posts: 5902
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 1:57 am
Location: Sacramento, CA

Re: Control

Post by gbasden » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:42 pm

Asharak wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:21 am
gbasden wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:52 pm
Has anyone picked this up? I love Remedy as a developer, and Quantum Break was brilliant.
First, thank you for confirming that I'm not the only one who really enjoyed Quantum Break. The internet consensus seems to like semi-shit on that game and it annoys me.
Quantum Break is criminally underrated. The story and acting was fantastic and the gameplay was really fun as well.
Asharak wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:21 am

chucking filing cabinets at people's faces never. gets. old.
It really, really doesn't. I'm very much enjoying this so far!

User avatar
MonkeyFinger
Posts: 3150
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2004 10:23 pm
Location: South of Denver, CO

Re: Control

Post by MonkeyFinger » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:12 am

morlac wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:18 pm
MonkeyFinger wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:14 am
I picked this up for my XB1 and agree with the thoughts here. I've also been using headphones most times I play, it reminded me a bit of Hellblade with all of the voices and other atmospheric audio elements of the game. Also found it interesting that they have a ‘Mute Copyrighted Tracks’ music option. 8-)
The mute options is for Streamers so they don't get in trouble with youtube/etc. Starting to see that option more and more.
Oh, I knew what it was for, it was just not something I personally had seen before. Must not play the right kind of games. :wink:
-mf

stimpy
Posts: 3969
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2005 6:04 pm

Re: Control

Post by stimpy » Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:35 am

Jag wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:13 pm
If you have any RTX card you can get a key cheap from Reddit. I got Control and Wolfenstein Youngblood for $18 for both. It's a legit key you redeem from Nvidia. Then redeem from Epic and Bethesda for each game.

I'm loving Control. It is really fun. Interesting story and fun gameplay. Totally took me by surprise. Very torn between playing Control and Greedfall right now.
You have a link for this?
It makes my dookie twinkle.

User avatar
Jag
Posts: 14130
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:24 pm
Location: SoFla
Jag’s avatar
Loading…

Re: Control

Post by Jag » Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:00 pm

stimpy wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:35 am
Jag wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:13 pm
If you have any RTX card you can get a key cheap from Reddit. I got Control and Wolfenstein Youngblood for $18 for both. It's a legit key you redeem from Nvidia. Then redeem from Epic and Bethesda for each game.

I'm loving Control. It is really fun. Interesting story and fun gameplay. Totally took me by surprise. Very torn between playing Control and Greedfall right now.
You have a link for this?
Do a bit of research on how to use r/steamgameswap. Keys go fast and check the sellers rep. I've never had an issue, but as always buyer beware.
https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamGameSwap/

User avatar
gbasden
Posts: 5902
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 1:57 am
Location: Sacramento, CA

Re: Control

Post by gbasden » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:49 pm

I'm still really loving this game. The story is great so far, and the puzzles are good without making me tear my hair out (though the punchcard puzzle verged on it). The whole universe they have created is fantastic, and I love the messages and documents you find. I think this is my favorite game of the year so far, but we will see if they can stick the ending.

User avatar
MonkeyFinger
Posts: 3150
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2004 10:23 pm
Location: South of Denver, CO

Re: Control

Post by MonkeyFinger » Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:21 am

In an effort to better understand the making of the game's critically-acclaimed narrative Gamasutra chatted with Brooke Maggs, a narrative designer at Remedy who has previously worked on The Gardens Between, Florence, and Paperbark, about her experience working to craft Control's eerie setting.
Inside the narrative design of Remedy's least linear game
-mf

User avatar
ChuckB
Posts: 1445
Joined: Mon May 16, 2005 5:36 pm

Re: Control

Post by ChuckB » Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:16 pm

So ... I have now encountered the first boss and while I generally like the game so far, I find it also frustrating. I can't get close to defeating the first boss and there are no difficulty levels to choose from, so ... the chances that I will see most of this games feels pretty damn low for now. I don't know why companies do this. Yes, I may not be the best video game player out there (and can't wait for people to tell me that "this is actually really easy" or "just do exactly these 10 things in perfect order and with perfect timing to beat the boss") but why do games have to frustrate us so often. While I don't play simply for relaxation, I don't want (or need) to prove myself constantly in some artificially difficult artificial world. Why don't the devs give us difficulty levels, ESPECIALLY when they seem to be interested in also telling us a story? Well, I'll try some more but it's sad, I'm already soured on a game that I paid good money for and that I enjoyed so far ...

User avatar
rittchard
Posts: 1086
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2006 9:16 pm
rittchard’s avatar
Loading…

Re: Control

Post by rittchard » Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:34 pm

ChuckB wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:16 pm
So ... I have now encountered the first boss and while I generally like the game so far, I find it also frustrating. I can't get close to defeating the first boss and there are no difficulty levels to choose from, so ... the chances that I will see most of this games feels pretty damn low for now. I don't know why companies do this. Yes, I may not be the best video game player out there (and can't wait for people to tell me that "this is actually really easy" or "just do exactly these 10 things in perfect order and with perfect timing to beat the boss") but why do games have to frustrate us so often. While I don't play simply for relaxation, I don't want (or need) to prove myself constantly in some artificially difficult artificial world. Why don't the devs give us difficulty levels, ESPECIALLY when they seem to be interested in also telling us a story? Well, I'll try some more but it's sad, I'm already soured on a game that I paid good money for and that I enjoyed so far ...
I feel exactly the same way. There are so many games, particularly of this sort, that I hit a block. Some times I'll be motivated enough to find a walkthrough, but sometimes even with a video walkthrough I still can't get past whatever it is. Really annoys me. It's not like I'm super uncoordinated, I mean when I'm playing an ARPG I've generally got like 10 hotkeys going seamlessly. But as soon as I get into a 3D-ish game my perception/reactions just don't work the way it seems like it is supposed to. Hearing you say this makes me really hesitant to get this one now, even though it looks so damn cool. Is there any free mode where you can just run around and throw file cabinets at people lol?

User avatar
ChuckB
Posts: 1445
Joined: Mon May 16, 2005 5:36 pm

Re: Control

Post by ChuckB » Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:43 pm

rittchard wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:34 pm
ChuckB wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:16 pm
So ... I have now encountered the first boss and while I generally like the game so far, I find it also frustrating. I can't get close to defeating the first boss and there are no difficulty levels to choose from, so ... the chances that I will see most of this games feels pretty damn low for now. I don't know why companies do this. Yes, I may not be the best video game player out there (and can't wait for people to tell me that "this is actually really easy" or "just do exactly these 10 things in perfect order and with perfect timing to beat the boss") but why do games have to frustrate us so often. While I don't play simply for relaxation, I don't want (or need) to prove myself constantly in some artificially difficult artificial world. Why don't the devs give us difficulty levels, ESPECIALLY when they seem to be interested in also telling us a story? Well, I'll try some more but it's sad, I'm already soured on a game that I paid good money for and that I enjoyed so far ...
I feel exactly the same way. There are so many games, particularly of this sort, that I hit a block. Some times I'll be motivated enough to find a walkthrough, but sometimes even with a video walkthrough I still can't get past whatever it is. Really annoys me. It's not like I'm super uncoordinated, I mean when I'm playing an ARPG I've generally got like 10 hotkeys going seamlessly. But as soon as I get into a 3D-ish game my perception/reactions just don't work the way it seems like it is supposed to. Hearing you say this makes me really hesitant to get this one now, even though it looks so damn cool. Is there any free mode where you can just run around and throw file cabinets at people lol?
Unfortunately, there is not. It doesn't (even) have different difficulty levels and while I heard that the game opens up later a bit, it's very linear in the beginning so you better get through the difficulty-bottlenecks they created or ... you are stuck in a very little bottle. For me, the 3D environment is not the issue (the 10 hotkey ARPG would probably create a bigger issue for me, I suck at these very fast action games where you have to perform these complicated combos). Part of the issue for me with Control may be that I'm playing this on the PS4 with a controller and while I'm getting really good with a controller in these cover shooters (such as The Division or Uncharted and even Assassin's Creed), I'm better with a mouse in these free-roam shooters (the Far Cry games didn't work for me well with a controller, not much of an issue with mouse/KB). So, if you are on PC, this may help.

User avatar
ChuckB
Posts: 1445
Joined: Mon May 16, 2005 5:36 pm

Re: Control

Post by ChuckB » Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:59 am

ChuckB wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:16 pm
So ... I have now encountered the first boss and while I generally like the game so far, I find it also frustrating. I can't get close to defeating the first boss and there are no difficulty levels to choose from, so ... the chances that I will see most of this games feels pretty damn low for now. I don't know why companies do this. Yes, I may not be the best video game player out there (and can't wait for people to tell me that "this is actually really easy" or "just do exactly these 10 things in perfect order and with perfect timing to beat the boss") but why do games have to frustrate us so often. While I don't play simply for relaxation, I don't want (or need) to prove myself constantly in some artificially difficult artificial world. Why don't the devs give us difficulty levels, ESPECIALLY when they seem to be interested in also telling us a story? Well, I'll try some more but it's sad, I'm already soured on a game that I paid good money for and that I enjoyed so far ...
Ok, I finally beat the boss. In the end, it didn't feel too difficult. Game is getting more interesting but I'm already dreading the next boss ...

User avatar
rittchard
Posts: 1086
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2006 9:16 pm
rittchard’s avatar
Loading…

Re: Control

Post by rittchard » Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:55 pm

Finally grabbed this on Epic/PC as it was on sale for $44.99. It's really creepy and the graphics looked fantastic. But of course I only got barely past the intro before getting killed 5 times in a row by some lame bad guys. I thought I was doing well and I'm guessing if I was patient enough I could get past them, but it just killed the immersion and I hadn't even got a single power yet. Sigh. It looks like there might be some cheats available but that is probably the only way I'll be able to get further in the game. I just want to get to the point where I can telekinetically throw crap at people and I'll be happy.

User avatar
MonkeyFinger
Posts: 3150
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2004 10:23 pm
Location: South of Denver, CO

Re: Control

Post by MonkeyFinger » Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:51 am

I had similar issues at first, getting frustrated by early enemies (when I had no powers) killing me. Biggest tip I recall is... move! Standing still is death, keep moving and sniping, using cover as much as possible. Things really open up when you get powers. 8-)
-mf

Post Reply