Fundraising for 2019/2020: 12 Months Renewed - We are good until October 2020. Paypal Donation Link Here

Disco Elysium -- Arriving October 15

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

dbemont

Disco Elysium -- Arriving October 15

Post by dbemont » Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:48 am

I know that @Rumpy mentioned this in the Gaming Randomness thread a few months back, but since my bet is on it being the best game to come out in quite a while, I think it ought to have its own thread. :)

It's an RPG which starts with a bit of a cliche -- a world-weary, alchoholic detective on a murder case. But beyond that premise, the game looks to be headed in totally fresh and interesting directions.

You have a sidekick, but the real members of your party are your inner voices, aspects of your personality. So at any given moment, one inner aspect might be perceiving a lead in the case, while another screams out for another drink, while a third insists on uttering a crude comment to a woman passing by. There are 24 of these inner voices, each named and each with a surreal visual representation.
https://zaumstudio.com/#features

Much like real life, these inner impulses compete with each other, making some choices easier and some more difficult -- even impossible.

When you level up, you choose which of these aspects of your personality to strengthen. Most contain both advantages and disadvantages.

Furthermore, over time, your decisions coalesce into formal "Thoughts." (I think I would have used the word "Ideas.") There are about 50 of them, with a limit on how many a character can hold at a time. Each of these also contains both advantages and disadvantages.
https://zaumstudio.com/devblog/

The game is open world and massive and all original -- no cookie cutter repetition. Visually, in my opinion, this game (at least the little bits I have seen) puts all computer gaming to shame, but then I may have unusual tastes -- this looks more like a painting than a movie wannabe.

Some people might not like it because it contains so much text. Massive amounts of text. Discussions of the game keep turning to Planescape Torment, but more so.

Some might not like it because it does not fit neatly into any existing box. I am always surprised at the extent to which fellow gamers start with a label like 4X or JRPG or whatever, and then evaluate the game by how completely said game ticks the required boxes for that genre. For such people, a game like this is going to be an affront.

And although there is some violence in the game, fighting is not front and center, it not the primary method of gaining experience, and it does not play out the way it does in pretty much all RPGs; you can forget about roaming around piling up XP by killing off roaming mobs and bosses.

However, to my eye, this game looks awesome beyond awesome. So much promise. More than any game I can remember, you really get to roleplay. You can try to be a hero or an ass or anything in between, and the limiting factors are mainly your own frailties and the general apathy of the world towards your endeavors. You can do your job or become a homeless addict or wander the massive city... which is kind of a 70s alternate universe which is still suffering from past political violence.

Commish of OOTP online league Dog Days Baseball

Suitably Ironic Moniker

Re: Disco Elysium -- Arriving October 15

Post by Suitably Ironic Moniker » Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:35 am

This is the game that I am anticipating most this fall., and I can't believe that it's finally coming out soon!
When I was a boy, I laid in my twin-sized bed and wondered where my brother was. - Mitch Hedberg

Rumpy

Post by Rumpy » Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:59 am

Yeah, I've been keeping my eye on this one for quite awhile. I think it shows quite a parallel between Planescape Torment, at least in terms of the dialogue based system, and shows quite a bit of promise in terms of how to approach things. I think the detective angle is quite refreshing in the RPG genre.
PC:
Intel i5 660
8GB RAM
Asus ROG 4GB 1050Ti

Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus » Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:42 am

It looks great. Hopefully it can run on my old Surface Pro or Macbook.

And the answer is no. Maybe on the Macbook but it really doesn't meet the minimum specs.

Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn » Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:27 am

Has anybody seen a price posted for this?

Suitably Ironic Moniker

Post by Suitably Ironic Moniker » Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:41 pm

Z-Corn wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:27 am
Pesos, Rubles, or Knuts?
When I was a boy, I laid in my twin-sized bed and wondered where my brother was. - Mitch Hedberg

dbemont

Post by dbemont » Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:26 am

Z-Corn wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:27 am
Not posted on their site or on Steam, but someone at Something Awful said it was going to $40 US.

dbemont

Post by dbemont » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:45 am

I don't want to watch the whole thing, because I'm sure that something this length would be heavy on spoilers, but I did watch the first 20 minutes, and Kimchica really gets into the initial scene. Gives a good idea of what this game will be about.

Jolor

Post by Jolor » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:45 pm

$45.49 Canadian. If you buy it from GoG.com, they'll roll in a free copy of UnderRail (a C$16.99 value!). Offer stands until Oct22.

Both games look great so this is very tempting ...
So sayeth the wise Alaundo.

RM2

Post by RM2 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:21 pm

Anyone else try this? I got it yesterday on Steam after seeing a bunch of enthusiastic reviews.What I read really intrigued me and Planescape Torment is a dear game to me and the reviews mentioned that game alot. Anyway. no real impressions yet, bought it, downloaded it and went to bed. Will get to more tonight probably.

Not really a new guy here as I have been around since Gone Gold and never posted a whole lot but did go into some fruitful spurts.
I have lurked around here and, hey, this game did get me making one post anyway.

coopasonic
Loading…

Post by coopasonic » Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:55 pm

Added to my wishlist after watching some of the posted stream. I'll get it when there is a discount. It looks very interesting, but I am a bit deep in backlog at the moment.
-Coop

wonderpug

Post by wonderpug » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:26 pm

RM2 wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:21 pm
Anyone else try this? I got it yesterday on Steam after seeing a bunch of enthusiastic reviews.
I couldn't help but bite, even though I had been planning on jumping into Outer Worlds next week. I just couldn't resist all the positive buzz I'm hearing, and I love trying out games that stand out as doing something unique. I'll be diving in later tonight.

Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus » Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:37 pm

I also broke down after seeing so many positive comments. I have a backlog and was initially planning on leaving it for a sale but I love the idea of a big RPG that can run on my aging Surface Pro. Disco Elysium needs to be on minimum graphics setting to work smoothly but due to the nature of the artwork it is more than acceptable.

I'm only about 15 minutes into the game (a couple of restarts due to fiddling with the graphics plus a while looking at the character creation screen sucked away my gaming time) but it seems to work. I thought the amnesiac coming back into conciseness was a little overdone with purple prose but when I came to and started stumbling around the room it was fine.

I might have found a small bug. There is an early quest. On one attempt I solved it as a "secret" quest. My journal got updated, I saw an announcement about a secret quest, and my inventory changed. After fiddling with the settings and starting over I noticed a new thing in the room and learned about the quest (thus turning it into a normal not a secret quest) but when I solved it nothing changed in my inventory or journal.

It feels weird to buy a game at launch but it is a refreshing take on things.