What gaming franchise have you spent the most time with?

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

dbt1949

Re: What gaming franchise have you spent the most time with?

Post by dbt1949 »

For me the franchise I spent the most time with is the Civilization one. Followed by the Skyrim/Fallout one.
I also have god knows how much time with the HOI2 franchise. Only a couple of hundred hours on Steam but probably thousands before that.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Just for kicks, I tried to go back and total up my approximate hours spent with my top franchise, Final Fantasy.

- FF 1 through 5: My first FF game (and first ever RPG) was VII, so it was hard to go back to these old-school JRPGs without the benefit of nostalgia. Still, I’ve put at least 20 hours into each one on different platforms through the years. 100 hours
- FF VI: Finished on Game Boy Advance. 50 hours
- FF VII: my favorite game of all time. Played through twice on PS1, once on PSP, and about halfway through on iPad. Around 250 hours total
- FF VII Crisis Core: Finished once on PSP. 40 hours
- FF VII Remake: Finished on PS4, 40 hours
- FF VIII: 50 hours on PS1, then another 30 on the Remastered version. 80 hours, but still haven't finished it. :oops:
- FF IX: Finished on PS1, and again on iPad. 90 hours between the two
- FF X: Finished on PS2, 2/3 of the way through the Remaster on PS4. 80 hours
- FF X2: Only around 20 hours on PS2. The girl band thing got too annoying.
- FF XI: Never got into this one.
- FF XII: Finished twice on PS2, about halfway through the Remaster for Switch. 120 hours
- FF XIiI: Finishing it once was enough on PS3. 60 hours
- FF XIII sequels: Tried both, thought they were terrible. 10 hours
- FF XIV: ALL THE HOURS. Just barely under 1,700, as of yesterday. Finished up through patch 5.3.
- FF XV: Finished once on PS4, once on PC. 70 hours total
- FF Tactics: Completed once on PS1, once on PSP, once on iPad, 250 hours
- FF Tactics Advance: Finished both on GBA. 200 hours
- Dissidia: Finished both PSP games. 40 hours
- Other misc: Between multiple F2P iPad games, World of FF, Crystal Chronicles, Chocobo Dungeon, Dirge of Cerberus, probably another 200 hours.

I’m sure there probably a couple I’m forgetting, but that puts me at around 3,400 hours with FF games over the years. Not a bad run.
Last edited by Skinypupy on Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:31 am, edited 3 times in total.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

I'm sure you played Crisis Core on PSP. I'd add the Kingdom Hearts series as well. Sure, it's Disney, but it's Disney crossing over with Final Fantasy.

I'm not close to that total time mainly because of no MMO time. I had a bad MUD addiction back in the day. I've been clean since. I'm sure Final Fantasy still is my number one.

Final Fantasy
Command and Conquer
Tom Clancy
Battletech/Mechwarrior
Dungeons and Dragons
Pinball (mostly virtual, but I've played more than my fair share in the arcades)
Star Wars
Batman
Spiderman
Starcraft/Warcraft
Rollercoaster Tycoon (though if we lump all the tycoon games together it would be much higher)
Plants vs. Zombies (all those couple of minutes a day add up)
Wing Commander
SimCity, Sim_ and the Sims
Star Trek
Police Quest + SWAT
XCom
Ultima
Warhammer
Lord of the Rings

I have no idea how much time I spent on Spyro, Sly Cooper or Crash Bandicoot series, but I don't recall them being very long.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Hrothgar wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:58 am I'm sure you played Crisis Core on PSP.
I knew I was forgetting one! Thanks for the reminder.
I'd add the Kingdom Hearts series as well. Sure, it's Disney, but it's Disney crossing over with Final Fantasy.
Oddly, I really dislike the KH games. While I (obviously) love FF, I've never really been much of a Disney fan. The combo was like chocolate and peanut butter for most people...it was like chocolate and pickles for me. :)
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

It was originally going to be a Disney/Hellraiser crossover until Clive Barker pulled out at the last minute.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

For those who want to up their time with a single franchise there is a new huge mod for Fallout NV.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Madmarcus wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:02 am For those who want to up their time with a single franchise there is a new huge mod for Fallout NV.
:lol:

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Everquest
Diablo
City of Heroes
Tomb Raider
Divinity series
Baldur's Gate/Icewind Dale
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Civilization by a landslide.
Runners-up: Xcom and Fallout.
Honorable mention: Tropico and GalCiv.
Whatever happened to: Those Gold Box D&D games. Played them all in their day -- even the Buck Rogers spinoffs.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Kraken wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:52 am Whatever happened to: Those Gold Box D&D games. Played them all in their day -- even the Buck Rogers spinoffs.
GOG happened to the Gold Box games, except the Buck Rogers ones -- I suspect the IP rights to those are too tied up in knots for anyone to sort them out.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:04 am I’m sure there probably a couple I’m forgetting, but that puts me at around 3,400 hours with FF games over the years. Not a bad run.
that nicely translates into five solid months spent in Final Fantasy franchise (24/7 playing). so about 1/90th of your entire life?
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

The thought of what I could have actually accomplished with that same amount of dedicated effort has certainly crossed my mind. :oops:
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

And what would you have done with that time?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Single player:
Probably a tie between Elder Scrolls and Diablo. I have over 650+ hours in Skyrim alone. Diablo II is one that I played daily for years, though. I had multiple characters of each type (for example, Bear/Wolf/Caster Druids, Jav-azon, Bow-azon, Trap-ssassin, Claw-ssassin, Fire/Elec/Cold Sorc, etc.), and mules to carry all my uniques. I think at one time I had 20- 30 alts and counting. And even now in Diablo III I have maxed out my alts and have to delete one or two every season, despite the fact that I have a massive shared stash and you can switch builds on a toon at will.

Multiplayer:
City of Heroes/Villains, hands down. Played a butt-load of others, but between each one I always came back to CoH/V. That feeling of taking off and flying for the first time was euphoric! And once again, I had MULTIPLE alts of each type. I had to go to three servers to keep up with my alt-oholism. Brutes were my jam, though, once CoV went live. Even to this day I have 30 alts on CoH, and 20 of them are brutes.
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:04 am Just for kicks, I tried to go back and total up my approximate hours spent with my top franchise, Final Fantasy.

I’m sure there probably a couple I’m forgetting, but that puts me at around 3,400 hours with FF games over the years. Not a bad run.
I think it's really cool how diverse the gaming culture is. My total time with the FF franchise: 0. I just do not get or enjoy JRPGs, probably because I didn't have a console in my formative years. All of my early gaming was on the Apple 2, 2e and then a PC XT, and PCs on from there. I didn't get a console until I got an XBox 360 cheap as a Microsoft employee. My early games were all western RPGs.
raydude

Post by raydude »

Not a proper franchise per se, but I'd like to give a shout out to games made with the Source engine that I've enjoyed countless hours on:

Half-Life
Half-Life 2
Half-Life 2: Episode 1 and 2
Counterstrike
Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines
Left 4 Dead and Left 4 Dead 2

Also spent a lot of time with the Homeworld and Homeworld related franchise:
Homeworld 1 and 2
Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak

Reaching back even further:
the Police Quest series and props to SWAT 3: Close Quarters Battle. God, I loved that game. I wish someone would do a modern remake.

Command and Conquer
Starcraft 1 and 2

Diablo 1, 2, 3
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

gbasden wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:18 am
Skinypupy wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:04 am Just for kicks, I tried to go back and total up my approximate hours spent with my top franchise, Final Fantasy.

I think it's really cool how diverse the gaming culture is. My total time with the FF franchise: 0. I just do not get or enjoy JRPGs, probably because I didn't have a console in my formative years. All of my early gaming was on the Apple 2, 2e and then a PC XT, and PCs on from there. I didn't get a console until I got an XBox 360 cheap as a Microsoft employee. My early games were all western RPGs.
Neither did I, oddly enough. We had an Atari 2600 growing up, but I didn't have another console until I bought my own Sega Genesis when I left for college.

Even then, I didn't play my first Final Fantasy game until FF VII came out when I was 23. Not only was it my first FF game, it was also my first RPG. Up to that point, I had only played platformers, racing, fighting, or sports games.

It was the first game that ever opened my eyes to the idea that games could actually tell an epic story that gets you emotionally involved, rather than simply being quick bursts of entertainment. I've been hooked ever since. :)
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I had a huge gap. I had an Atari 2600 that I got for my (guessing) 8th birthday, but didn't own another console until after I was married. And I didn't own any form of computer until I was on my second wife! ;) My early gaming years didn't include most of the 80s and early 90s. I spent that time on other pursuits (my hobbies during my formative years were microbiology, model building, fly tying, fishing, buckskinning, and then tabletop RPGs and wargames.)

That said, when I did finally end up with consoles, I played them obsessively. I played every Final Fantasy released in the US up through 7, every one of them multiple times. I played 8, but all I remember is that it put me to sleep fairly quickly and I never got back to it. Then I got a PC and didn't touch a console until the 360, where I finished XIII. I played some XV on the PS4, but really disliked the combat (in earlier games you were in control to some degree, making tactical decisions as you went - in FFXV I never even knew what was happening in the fight because of all the zipping around.)

Had you asked me this question in 2000, Final Fantasy would have been high on my list.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Team Fortress
Fallout
Elder Scrolls
Diablo
Ultima
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
mcdog512

Post by mcdog512 »

Not even close. Civilization.
Jaddison

Post by Jaddison »

Buying games on Steam- this is apparently my favorite gaming pastime by far
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

TheMix wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:01 am
Madmarcus wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:02 am For those who want to up their time with a single franchise there is a new huge mod for Fallout NV.
:lol:
I've racked up a couple of hundred hours each on Morrowwind, Oblivion, Skyrim, Skyrim SE, Fallout 3, Fallout NV, and Fallout 4. So when The Frontier was released I reinstalled Fallout New Vegas, the New California mod, and The Frontier intending to do one big playthough. I hadn't touched New Vegas in 6 or 7 years so why not.

New California stunk. The intro was fairly decent although I felt like I needed to play exactly the character that they planned for. But as soon as I left the vault things went downhill. So I restarted without New California. Over the weekend I finally reached a point in the story where it made sense to go off and do The Frontier only to have all the news about really questionable content show up and kill any interest that I had in it. At this point I'll probably finish up an NCR run and uninstall.
nasai

Post by nasai »

Final Fantasy. What else is there as complex and compelling as that massive legacy? You don't get to say Dragon Warrior, either.
Today I will gladly share my experience and advice, for there are no sweeter words than "I told you so."
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Skinypupy wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:07 pm The thought of what I could have actually accomplished with that same amount of dedicated effort has certainly crossed my mind. :oops:
Wait til you're on your death bed!

I have at several points in my life, paused to wonder if I would be gaming when I was a white haired old fart with wrinkled skin and arthritis. I'm already quite grey/greyish...greying? and while I spend a fraction of the time actually gaming compared to say 15 years ago, I don't doubt that I will still be doing at least SOME light gaming until I am old and frail.

I've even had the literal thought: if given the opportunity "as I lay dying" as it were, what would I think about the hours, days, weeks that I have spent my life...playing video games?

Sorry to harsh anyone's mellow in this light-hearted thread! :ninja: :oops:
nasai

Post by nasai »

- FF 1 through 5: My first FF game (and first ever RPG) was VII, so it was hard to go back to these old-school JRPGs without the benefit of nostalgia. Still, I’ve put at least 20 hours into each one on different platforms through the years. 100 hours
- FF VII: my favorite game of all time. Played through twice on PS1, once on PSP, and about halfway through on iPad. Around 250 hours total
- FF VIII: 50 hours on PS1, then another 30 on the Remastered version. 80 hours, but still haven't finished it. :oops:
- FF IX: Finished on PS1, and again on iPad. 90 hours between the two
- FF X: Finished on PS2, 2/3 of the way through the Remaster on PS4. 80 hours
- FF X2: Only around 20 hours on PS2. The girl band thing got too annoying.
- FF XII: Finished twice on PS2, about halfway through the Remaster for Switch. 120 hours
- FF XIII sequels: Tried both, thought they were terrible. 10 hours
Whittling yours down a little to comment

FF1 - eh
FF2 - eh
FF3 - eh
FF4 (which was FF2 in the US) - Second favorite of all time. My first FF experience. Logged over 100 hours and loved every damn last second of it. Cried at the end.
FF5 - never finished. Got tired of the job systems, but what I played was as old school as it got.
FF6 (which was FF3 in the US) - Enjoyed the hell out of it, but I played it so long (and used the egg to max out all my HP) that I was way overpowered for the last boss. So, as cool as it was, it was anticlimactic. 180 hours.
FF7 - Okay, now this is where it all really changed. Sure the game looks a bit silly now (Haven't played the remake and don't plan to), but Sephiroth was as legendary as it gets and Cloud's oversized sword, along with the outrageously overblown summons found on the island via the Gold Chocobo gave me a huge sense of accomplishment. Plus, ya know Ariel dying and all. Legend. Over 200 hours.
FF8 - Just never quite got into it. Something about the battle system really bugged me, plus I hate using magic that is disposable. Hate that feature. Never finished it.
FF9 - Sweet and cute and everything I wanted in a story. I can still remember the two main characters on a rope swing, with the girl holding on tight and the close up of her face smiling because she knew she was saved and safe. 60 hours.
FFX - New battle system made for a fun time. Enjoyed this game to the max. Easy 100 hours.
FFX-2 - Loved it, and played the heck out of it as well, but found out I missed a vital spell (couldn't go back to the land or timeline found) and just got too frustrated with that missing component. Made it all the way to the last dungeon before finally quitting. Watched the ending on Youtube years later to get closure.
FF12 - MY FAVORITE EVER. I loved this one so much, I can't stand it. I loved the hell out of the battle system. Yes, it was a set-it-and-forget-it system (with the gambit system) but I thought that was badass. Maxed out every character and just loved loved loved it. Great story, incredible graphics and huge world. Plus, the Zodiark fight is BRUTAL. Screw Yiazmat. That is just stupid to do, but the rest of the game was blissful. Totally amazing in every way. Plus GORGEOUS.
FFXIII - Hated the linear story and shut it off after 5 hours.
FFXIII-2 - Loved this game. I know a lot of people really slag it, but it caught me off guard and I just enjoyed the hell out of it. Great ending. 120 hours for sure.
Today I will gladly share my experience and advice, for there are no sweeter words than "I told you so."
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:20 pm
Skinypupy wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:07 pm The thought of what I could have actually accomplished with that same amount of dedicated effort has certainly crossed my mind. :oops:
Wait til you're on your death bed!

I have at several points in my life, paused to wonder if I would be gaming when I was a white haired old fart with wrinkled skin and arthritis. I'm already quite grey/greyish...greying? and while I spend a fraction of the time actually gaming compared to say 15 years ago, I don't doubt that I will still be doing at least SOME light gaming until I am old and frail.

I've even had the literal thought: if given the opportunity "as I lay dying" as it were, what would I think about the hours, days, weeks that I have spent my life...playing video games?

Sorry to harsh anyone's mellow in this light-hearted thread! :ninja: :oops:
I don't entirely get this take. A gamer is what I am. There is no post-gamer period for me. I probably game more now than I did 15 years ago (tot be fair, 15 years ago today my wife was 6 months pregnant with our fist child and I had other things on my mind!)

When I am lying on my death bed, I will be playing XCOM 6 in between those bothersome goodbyes.

The only time I regret my gaming habits is back around 1999-2000 when my obsession with Everquest nearly ended my marriage and my job. I got better.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

nasai wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:30 pm FF7 - Okay, now this is where it all really changed. Sure the game looks a bit silly now (Haven't played the remake and don't plan to),
FF7 Remake really was a fantastic game. It did justice to the original and hit all the right nostalgia notes, while greatly expanding on the story and opening things up for a (potentially) very interesting new direction.

The original FF7 is my all-time favorite game, I would strongly recommend the Remake to anyone with even a passing interest in FF7.
nasai

Post by nasai »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:19 am
nasai wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:30 pm FF7 - Okay, now this is where it all really changed. Sure the game looks a bit silly now (Haven't played the remake and don't plan to),
FF7 Remake really was a fantastic game. It did justice to the original and hit all the right nostalgia notes, while greatly expanding on the story and opening things up for a (potentially) very interesting new direction.

The original FF7 is my all-time favorite game, I would strongly recommend the Remake to anyone with even a passing interest in FF7.
Considering this response, then maybe. I also don't like that they split the game up into multiple pieces. Eh, I'm a whiner.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

nasai wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:23 pm

Considering this response, then maybe. I also don't like that they split the game up into multiple pieces. Eh, I'm a whiner.
That was my biggest point of skepticism as well. I still don't love it, but after playing the game, I totally get why they did it. And it's not a detriment to the experience at all.

Also, we had a few pages of discussion about it here. Might be helpful (or not). :)
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Man, all this FF talk is making me want to jump off my current playlist of games and either take another run at some of the old titles, or pull the trigger and get FF7 remake. Probably I'll just bump it up to the top of the queue/backlog.
Fardaza

Post by Fardaza »

Hard to pick one, so:

Master of Orion 2 - Still bring up a game every year or so.
Civilization 2, 3, 4 - Lots of hours, almost all before Steam began tracking my time. Easily in the thousands.
Elder Scrolls Arena, Daggerfall, Oblivion - Who knows how many hours?
Skyrim - Steam says I've played 1,280 hours, not including the hours before being linked up.
X-Com: UFO Defense (1) - unknown hours over many years
XCOM: Enemy Unknown - 1,755 hours logged on Steam!!
XCOM 2 - 1,090 hours on Steam

Coop would say, "X-Com Baby!"

Multiplayer:
Lord of the Rings Online - Played little else for about 5 or 6 years.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Fardaza wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:34 pm Coop would say, "X-Com Baby!"
Indeed. XCOM 2 is easily the game I have RE-played the most. I can't think of any other game I would even care to play through more than a couple times... JA2 would be the only other, but I can't go back and replay that now. Too many QoL issues for me.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Stuie

Post by Stuie »

For me it would be The Elder Scrolls by a longshot, only because of how much time I've sunk into ESO. Total War and Civilization would be 2 & 3 but I'm not sure it which order since I have no way of tracking the hours spent in Rome: Total War or Civilization 1&2.
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

I'll second this. It's clear they went into this with a strong vision that was inspired by the original, but not locked into anything beyond the world and characters. I wrote up a bit on my website if you want more of my thoughts on the game.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

-Guild Wars (1,000+ hours)
-Unreal series (no idea the hours, but it is certainly 1,000+)
-Diablo series (same)
-Blizzard -Craft games (must be 400+ hours total)
-Slay the Spire (400+ hours across PC and Switch)
-Torchlight series (250+ hours across PC and Switch)
-Defense Grid series (250 hours across PC and Switch)
-Serious Sams (had to be 150+ hours in LAN parties in college)
-Hades (150+)
-Pillars of Eternity (150 hours)
-Plants vs Zombies (132 hours)

Unquantifed but a ton:
-Mario Kart
-Maro bros
-Zelda

A just as interesting question, I think, is 'which major gaming franchises have you spent the least time with?'

For me, this would include:
-Xcom (< 10 hours)
-FF (< 10 hours)
-Elder Scrolls (<20 hours)

Another good one: 'What game(s) had a lasting impact on you despite not having a ton of playtime?'
-Talos Principle (~50 hours, amazing game that I will never forget)
-The Portals (<20 hours, both amazing)
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

Going to make a call on what I call that Forgotten Realms is a gaming franchise, for my purposes.

So, am guessing it looks ~ like this:

Civilization (II, Call to Power, Test of Time, 3, 4, 5, 6) ... do we count SMAC?
Forgotten Realms (Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, and Neverwinter Nights in almost all of their iterations)
Elder Scrolls (Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim). Only three games but all with multiple playthroughs.
Fallout (1, 2, BoS, 3, New Vegas. Having a hard time getting into 4 and passed on 76).
Age of Empires (1, 2, 3). Lots of player mod scenarios for 1 and 2.
The Witcher
So sayeth the wise Alaundo.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Zaxxon wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:37 pm
A just as interesting question, I think, is 'which major gaming franchises have you spent the least time with?'
Good question. For me:
- XCom (a couple hours playing XCom 2)
- Grand Theft Auto (maybe 5-6 hours with GTA IV)
- Call of Duty (played one of them - I don’t even remember which one - for a free weekend once)
Another good one: 'What game(s) had a lasting impact on you despite not having a ton of playtime?'
That’s a good one. In terms of an emotional impact, I’d go with:

- Brothers: Tale of Two Sons
- To the Moon (the only game I can think of that literally brought me to tears)
- Dreamfall: The Longest Journey
- Planescape: Torment
- Gris
- Journey
- What Became of Edith Finch
nasai

Post by nasai »

Hrothgar wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:30 pm

I'll second this. It's clear they went into this with a strong vision that was inspired by the original, but not locked into anything beyond the world and characters. I wrote up a bit on my website if you want more of my thoughts on the game.
Nice write up, Jason. You convinced me. Now, I gotta buy a PS4. :doh:
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

coopasonic wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:06 amWhen I am lying on my death bed, I will be playing XCOM 6 in between those bothersome goodbyes.
Literally LOL'd at that! :D

Is it bad that I never even finished X-Com 2 (or anything X-Com that came out after)? :oops:

Before you scream at me, I did play the previous ones to a bloody pulp