Mass Effect Legendary Edition

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Max Peck

Mass Effect Legendary Edition

Post by Max Peck »

Obligatory Steam link:

Gameplay Calibrations
Ever since we announced Mass Effect™ Legendary Edition on N7 Day and revealed a first look at it earlier this year, your passion and excitement have blown us away. Today, we’d like to give you more details on what you can expect to see in this remaster. You’ll find the latest information on the Legendary Edition, from gameplay tuning to rebalancing and more. Next week, we’ll provide an additional look at the remastering process with a strong focus on the visual changes across the trilogy.

Let’s get into it. Here’s what this post contains, in order:
  • Combat Tuning (Mass Effect)
  • Additional Gameplay Improvements (All)
  • The Mako (Mass Effect)
  • Unifying & Modernizing the Trilogy (All)
  • Galaxy at War Rebalancing (Mass Effect 3)
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
jztemple2

Re: Mass Effect Legendary Edition

Post by jztemple2 »

OK, where do I sign up? :D

I like the detailed descriptions on the linked page. The only bad part is that MELE (ha!) releases on the same day as Subnautica: Below Zero :grund:
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

The XP Penalty while in the Mako has been removed
I remember becoming aware of this at some point (it was something like you get 1/3 of the XP you normally would), and my borderline OCD would simply not let me get a kill with the Mako unless I was already at the level cap. Random crowd of pirates? Dismount and fight on foot. Rocket-launcher turret cluster? Whittle them down to a couple of health pixels then dismount and fight on foot. Thresher maw? You bet your ass Shepard's whittling it down to a couple of pixels on that health bar then getting out of that APC and finishing it on foot.

I did my last "all three games" playthrough pretty recently, so it's going to be a while before I'm ready to go back there, though.
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

NickAragua wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:54 pm I did my last "all three games" playthrough pretty recently, so it's going to be a while before I'm ready to go back there, though.
I wanted to start a playthrough of all three last year, right about the time this Legendary Edition was announced. Almost went ahead anyway, but am really glad I waited, now that I'm seeing the list of improvements.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I plan a replay for the 5th or 6th time when I can get all dlc for all games. I still lack a few. This remaster legendary thing doesn't have all the dlc. I also dont like the fog and particles it adds and the lighting.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:21 pm I plan a replay for the 5th or 6th time when I can get all dlc for all games. I still lack a few. This remaster legendary thing doesn't have all the dlc. I also dont like the fog and particles it adds and the lighting.
It has everything except the ME3 multiplayer, because nobody is likely to play it, and the Pinnacle Station DLC because the source code was lost, but it was an absolutely awful DLC with nothing but holographic 'training' scenarios that everybody hated. It was just an arena mode.

In other words, no it doesn't have everything, but you aren't missing much. It's missing multiplayer and one awful (like 40/100 rating on Metacritic) DLC. And it still likely costs way less than buying all the DLC the way you're talking about.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

IIRC, the multiplayer component was dropped from MELE because it would too costly in terms of development resources (and would require ongoing post-launch support). So far as I know the original ME3 still has operational multiplayer, so if someone really wants to play it they can, if they have a copy of the original game.

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

The DLC packs for 2 & 3 go on sale all the time for about $10 each. Dont need any for 1 as I own that or its free as I recall. Doubt the Legendary is $20 or so. And I dont like its graphics. Same with almost all redo games. In fact I think the only redo I did like were the Metro games.

EDIT: In fact they are on sale at Origin right now for $10 and $12. If my stimulus comes tomorrow Ill buy them.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:21 pm I plan a replay for the 5th or 6th time when I can get all dlc for all games. I still lack a few. This remaster legendary thing doesn't have all the dlc. I also dont like the fog and particles it adds and the lighting.
As noted it has EVERY DLC except for Pinnacle Station, which is probably the worst of the DLC and rather forgettable. You should be the Legendary edition and not lose any sleep over it.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Although, to be fair, there's something to be said for "bug-eye Shepard" - when I imported my dude from ME1 to ME2 the first time around, the guy's eyelids were missing in every cutscene. Not to mention his skin color changed from light brown to pastel white. The Invisible Man's guys were all so busy asking if they'd preserved the essence of what makes Shepard Shepard that they forgot to check some basic details. I'm just glad they kept him as a dude.

Just, get the legendary edition dude. It's worth it just for the Mako revamp, improved loading times and ME1 sprinting.
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Nothing wrong with the original MAKO. Ive enjoyed it at least 4 play throughs. I like to jump and thruster over long distances to save time and get to places. Its ME2's mining Im sick of. Need a mod to remove it. May use the infinite resources mod next go.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Visual Improvements
Within this blog, we’ll give you an in-depth look at our remastering process with a specific focus on key changes and improvements made to the visuals. Here’s what's included:
  • Building the Foundation
  • Modernization Efforts
  • Rebuilding Worlds
For those interested in the technical aspects of game development, it’s probably no surprise to hear that changing almost any asset or system can (and will) break something else. When a game is in its final state, it generally resembles a house of cards. The simple process of blowing the dust off, let alone implementing foundational changes like updating the version of the engine, will undoubtedly cause unexpected issues. Remastering a single game is a deceivingly complex process, so creating a proper plan for how best to mitigate risk while reopening three games to full development was foremost on our minds.

Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Am I the only one who find that the lighting in the remaster from what we've seen, is a step down from the originals? Where's the nuance in the lighting? It seems everything needs to be well-lit these days, even something that was originally supposed to be in shadows for atmosphere. The eyes look dead in the remaster, whereas in the originals, they've conveyed emotion. I can't say I'm much of a fan of what I've seen so far.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Rumpy wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:26 pm Am I the only one who find that the lighting in the remaster from what we've seen, is a step down from the originals? Where's the nuance in the lighting? It seems everything needs to be well-lit these days, even something that was originally supposed to be in shadows for atmosphere. The eyes look dead in the remaster, whereas in the originals, they've conveyed emotion. I can't say I'm much of a fan of what I've seen so far.
Yeah my takeaway from that video was "So.....the main change is that they made everything brighter?"
Black Lives Matter.
disarm

Post by disarm »

I'm not all that impressed either, but I'm also not sure what I should have been expecting. Are the graphics clearer and a bit more detailed? Sure, but it's not an experience-altering difference. If anything, I think this helps to illustrate just how great these games looked when they were originally released.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

disarm wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:55 pm I'm not all that impressed either, but I'm also not sure what I should have been expecting. Are the graphics clearer and a bit more detailed? Sure, but it's not an experience-altering difference. If anything, I think this helps to illustrate just how great these games looked when they were originally released.
At the very least, I'd be expecting higher resolution textures and possibly better character models, especially when it comes to the first game. The lighting I can understand needing an update, but I think there's been a longstanding discussion when it comes to remasters and lighting, and whether a lighting update can change the original intentions of a game. Good lighting can be critical to a game's mood in terms of tone and atmosphere. Unfortunately, the feel I get from this remaster is that they didn't really take the original vision into consideration. There are a lot of scenes in the first game which stand out partly because of the lighting itself, and I've seen the comparison trailers, and the remastered version of those scenes have all their details washed out in favour of lighting the whole scene evenly.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Based on that video, I think most of the changes look "fine". Some of the Original video has some rather gross bloom. There may be some face lighting and shading in the original that seems a bit off now (eyes under a visor, etc). But I can't really see anything that makes me think I wouldn't be just as happy playing the original (in terms of the visuals at least). Some of the new textures on Garrus look downright garish.

It's hard to believe the first game is 13+ years old?! But then, I find most games from the past two decades really aren't hard to pick up and play again when it comes to the graphics. Not once you get into them, if the gameplay's solid. Bad/outdated animations on the other hand? Yeah, those can throw me.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Rumpy wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:17 pm
disarm wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:55 pm I'm not all that impressed either, but I'm also not sure what I should have been expecting. Are the graphics clearer and a bit more detailed? Sure, but it's not an experience-altering difference. If anything, I think this helps to illustrate just how great these games looked when they were originally released.
At the very least, I'd be expecting higher resolution textures and possibly better character models, especially when it comes to the first game. The lighting I can understand needing an update, but I think there's been a longstanding discussion when it comes to remasters and lighting, and whether a lighting update can change the original intentions of a game. Good lighting can be critical to a game's mood in terms of tone and atmosphere. Unfortunately, the feel I get from this remaster is that they didn't really take the original vision into consideration. There are a lot of scenes in the first game which stand out partly because of the lighting itself, and I've seen the comparison trailers, and the remastered version of those scenes have all their details washed out in favour of lighting the whole scene evenly.
I generally agree with that. They're doing a lot of reimagining, which isn't always welcome in remasters. For some planets they've gone by the original concept art rather than the game and completely recolored and redcorated the environment. Oh, and they seem to have implemented that beloved feature from Andromeda: lens flare! Mass Effect: JJ Abrams Edition.
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

Yeah I had the same underwhelmed impression. If they didn't label which was which, there were shots I honestly couldn't pick which was the newer ("better") version. I'm still excited as it gives me a good excuse to play/replay the series. I don't think I ever finished any of the games for one reason or another.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

rittchard wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:09 pm Yeah I had the same underwhelmed impression. If they didn't label which was which, there were shots I honestly couldn't pick which was the newer ("better") version. I'm still excited as it gives me a good excuse to play/replay the series. I don't think I ever finished any of the games for one reason or another.
To be fair, that's my typical response to most remasters or graphic updates these days. There's lots of times we see these side-by-side comparisons and I can't tell much, if any, difference.

I'm mainly just excited to replay the series in a single package on my PS4 with some gameplay improvements. Any additional graphic bells and whistles are a bonus.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:39 pm
I'm mainly just excited to replay the series in a single package on my PS4 with some gameplay improvements. Any additional graphic bells and whistles are a bonus.
Same here. I was actually thinking about buying the trilogy for PC then the remaster was announced and I’m happy to wait. Prefer playing this on the big screen anyway. I actually finished the series along with most of the DLC but I’m just feeling nostalgic about Shepherd and the family of companions he accumulated along the way.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

The main thing graphically that I noticed is that they improved on some of the really awful hair "styles" (which, back in the day, was basically a flat texture on top of a ball apparently). I guess they also removed some walls because today's PCs and consoles have a bit more horse power than the original XBox 360. Texture upgrades, I don't normally notice - nobody spends their time in-game looking closely at walls and floors and people's zits.

Other than the Mako getting a tune-up, the main things I'm happy about are the improved loading times (does this mean they speed up the cargo bay elevator in the Normandy?), removal of the online components and "drip-feed" introduction of DLC equipment rather than just dumping it all in right off the bat so the games aren't even a challenge. And anything that improves inventory management in the first game is all right in my book.

But most of that stuff seems like basically minor polish, not really $60 worth of stuff. Certainly worth it if you've never played the series before, but as someone who's plowed through it at least twice, well...
Black Lives Matter
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Rumpy wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:26 pm Am I the only one who find that the lighting in the remaster from what we've seen, is a step down from the originals? Where's the nuance in the lighting? It seems everything needs to be well-lit these days, even something that was originally supposed to be in shadows for atmosphere. The eyes look dead in the remaster, whereas in the originals, they've conveyed emotion. I can't say I'm much of a fan of what I've seen so far.
Remember when colored lighting was first introduced into the gaming world? Can't remember if it was a DirectX function or a hardware thing (or both), but if you go back and look at games introduced around that time, you would think we lived in a world populated by continuous, visible rainbow lighting. They overused it (to put it lightly - ha!) because they COULD, not because that was the way the world looked. Basically a tech demo, and "look at the new tech we have in our engine!" or whatever.

Just because you have the tools to light worlds in tons of new ways in games, doesn't mean you SHOULD. Contrast matters, and it looks like they have removed most of it from the original. On the WHOLE, just based on that video, though, the new version does look a lot better, but I think it's mostly due to updated or higher res textures. I guess you always have the option of adjusting gamma in the new one to restore a bit of darkness, and deep blacks.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

NickAragua wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:55 pm Texture upgrades, I don't normally notice - nobody spends their time in-game looking closely at walls and floors and people's zits.
Unless you’re riding in an elevator then you can’t help but look around at every pixelated button and wall feature. But they’re supposedly speeding that up.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:45 am
Rumpy wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:17 pm
I generally agree with that. They're doing a lot of reimagining, which isn't always welcome in remasters. For some planets they've gone by the original concept art rather than the game and completely recolored and redcorated the environment. Oh, and they seem to have implemented that beloved feature from Andromeda: lens flare! Mass Effect: JJ Abrams Edition.
Yeah, I noticed the lens flare. When in doubt, add lens flare! It's particularly noticeable in the shot from the first game when the Citadel is revealed in its full glory. In the original game, it looked dark and menacing. The same scene in the remastered version is brightly lit and full of lens flares. And that's the kind of change I'm talking about in general. It fundamentally changes the feel.
Carpet_pissr wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:56 pm
Remember when colored lighting was first introduced into the gaming world? Can't remember if it was a DirectX function or a hardware thing (or both), but if you go back and look at games introduced around that time, you would think we lived in a world populated by continuous, visible rainbow lighting. They overused it (to put it lightly - ha!) because they COULD, not because that was the way the world looked. Basically a tech demo, and "look at the new tech we have in our engine!" or whatever.

Just because you have the tools to light worlds in tons of new ways in games, doesn't mean you SHOULD. Contrast matters, and it looks like they have removed most of it from the original. On the WHOLE, just based on that video, though, the new version does look a lot better, but I think it's mostly due to updated or higher res textures. I guess you always have the option of adjusting gamma in the new one to restore a bit of darkness, and deep blacks.

Oh yeah, great example. I mean, for some games, I think it's less critical, but this is largely a narrative set of games, where lighting was integral to the artistic intentions of a scene. And lighting everything evenly in this case would be akin to removing a director's selected color caste/ temperature from a movie's mastering process to instead present it in glaring white temp.

Yeah, the textures are improved, and they do the legwork in making it look better and mostly because it looks cleaner, but there's no nuance left in the scenes. If you look back at the previous comparison video, some of the scenes look pretty bad in comparison to the older ones. They're more brightly lit, but they lack the complexity of a more interesting scene, and the nuance is gone. I agree, that just because they have the tools, they that they should. It's certainly possible to remaster the lighting and still be mindful of the original intention, but it really feels like this wasn't the case. Likely has something to do with some on the team not being there when the original was being put together.

Gamma will only get you so far. American Truck Simulator recently had a lighting overhaul, from static lighting to dynamic lighting, and it looks terrible, especially on older hardware, as everything in daylight is too bright and washed out, and even if one lowers the brightness, it doesn't stop the fact that some functions like mirrors are still too bright to use normally.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Grifman

Post by Grifman »

I'm going to buy but only after it goes on sale. I'm pretty disappointed that previous owners don't get any sort of loyalty discount, like many other games offer. Heck some games even give you a free HD/remaster if you own the previous version.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'll be watching for reviews first, and still probably a sale.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Grifman wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:52 am I'm pretty disappointed that previous owners don't get any sort of loyalty discount, like many other games offer. Heck some games even give you a free HD/remaster if you own the previous version.
Given the number of platforms this series has spanned over the years, I imagine that would be an incredibly tricky process, at best.

Not really sure how that would work since it's a trilogy either. Get 33% discount if you own ME3, 66% if you own two of them? Maybe an extra 10% if you bought DLC at some point? Definitely easier to just offer this as it's own package.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Grifman wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:52 am I'm going to buy but only after it goes on sale. I'm pretty disappointed that previous owners don't get any sort of loyalty discount, like many other games offer. Heck some games even give you a free HD/remaster if you own the previous version.
I don't recall there always being discounts on HD remakes of games (Sony sold the Nathan Drake collection at $60 when it first came out, for instance, but you're also getting 3 games for that price, same as with the Mass Effect trilogy).
Hodor.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ill be waiting a long while probably. This is Bioware and EA..a double no no whammy for me.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I frequently see either discounts or freebies with remasters, but it's less common with AAA games, and it's less common with games that get a complete remake as opposed to just and engine update and improved textures (usually AI generated.)
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Yeah, I agree that I'd "like" a discount for owning the originals, but wouldn't expect one. I don't know yet if the work they're doing warrants the cost, but that's definitely a whole lot of good gaming for the price of one new game. (Or so I've heard... I never got more than halfway through the first one lol.)

From what I've seen so far, this looks a lot more worthwhile than arguable double-dips like Bulletstorm, etc. But it is frustrating that this serves as a kind of evergreening, especially if the original PC versions go missing from digital storefronts post-launch. It bugs me when I wait for an older title to become affordable, and then all of a sudden the only option is a new edition at full price. But I guess this follows from GOTY versions and battlechests back in the day. Except there's no such thing as going out of print in the age of digital distribution.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
JCC

Post by JCC »

Currently on Steam the original 3 games collectively cost $20 more than this Legendary Edition will. So, techinically it's "discounted". Either it's worth it to you to pay $20/game for a newly remastered version or it isn't. I don't own all these games on PC so I am sure at some point I will feel like replaying it and pull the trigger. I still wish they would change the piss poor choose the color ending of the 3rd game, but obviously that will never happen. That ending is still the worst Mass Effect thing ever.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

this probably should go in the 'old' Mass Effect thread but whatever

https://www.ea.com/games/mass-effect/ma ... t-download

"We're giving fans a chance to download content previously available in the Deluxe Editions of Mass Effect 2 and Mass Effect 3, as well as the first Mass Effect soundtrack (including the new Legendary Edition Track: "Resynthesis").*"

this contains "the Mass Effect Trilogy complete soundtrack, Art books, Normandy digital lithograph and other bonus content."
Last edited by hitbyambulance on Wed May 05, 2021 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I finally got around to pre-ordering this last night for PS4.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

pr0ner wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:45 pm
Grifman wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:52 am I'm going to buy but only after it goes on sale. I'm pretty disappointed that previous owners don't get any sort of loyalty discount, like many other games offer. Heck some games even give you a free HD/remaster if you own the previous version.
I don't recall there always being discounts on HD remakes of games (Sony sold the Nathan Drake collection at $60 when it first came out, for instance, but you're also getting 3 games for that price, same as with the Mass Effect trilogy).
Didn't say it always happened, said it happened for "many other games", such as:

Skyrim SE (free)
Metro Exodus Remastered (free when it soon comes out)
Rome Total War Remastered (50% discount)
Dark Souls Remastered (50% discount)
Kingdoms of Amaleur - ReReckoning (50% discount)
Bioshock Remastered (free)

are all recent examples.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Grifman wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 11:32 pm
Didn't say it always happened, said it happened for "many other games", such as:

Skyrim SE (free)

are all recent examples.
You're still getting three full games and almost all its DLC here for $60. How much more of a discount do you want?
Hodor.
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

pr0ner wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 7:36 am
Grifman wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 11:32 pm

Skyrim SE (free)

are all recent examples.
You're still getting three full games and almost all its DLC here for $60. How much more of a discount do you want?
At least 50% off. While it is "just" $60 for 3 games, some of us paid over $180 for Mass Effect 1-3. To pay $60 again for the same 3 games seem to be too much to me.