Subnautica - another stranded survival game..looks good.

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Blackhawk

Re: Subnautica - another stranded survival game..looks good.

Post by Blackhawk »

jztemple2 wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:43 pm I really wished I hadn't started playing this game in Early Access; well, actually before Early Access.
I've already got the sequel. I'm not touching it until it releases for the same reason.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Don't forget to check out the wreckage of the ship you came in on when you're ready.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Maybe I watched the Poseidon Adventure too many times as a kid, but the idea of being inside any type of underwater structure (particularly when it's damaged and/or rotated 90+ degrees) gives me the willies. I am capable of going to the wreck but I've been avoiding it.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

The game is designed to give you the willies. Embrace your willy!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Go to the Aurora, they said. It'll be fine, they said. What is that..what is that coming at me?
Spoiler:
Reaper Leviathan
Congrats to the designers for making a middle-aged man pee a little. I was inside the Moth and it was terrifying. Ah, ok. Well, that's it for gaming tonight.
Last edited by Smoove_B on Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Welcome to Subnautica. :binky:

Next time, try the other end of the ship. ;)
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

coopasonic wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:34 pm
Montag wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:07 am This looks great in VR. VR has its bugs, but the added immersion is awesome.
Ooh, yeah I could see this as a pretty good platform for VR. I need to get me one of them headsets...
I restarted Subnautica because I messed around with Below Zero but need to wait for the full release in two months. I decided to play with food/water needs this time and it has been a very minor burden, with a nice garden and the hot blade :) On the other hand the VR controls seemed to fight against me. I think it would be a pain to play tethered and my untethered setup isn't working quite right since I got my new PC...

Anyway, the game itself is still great!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I finished Subnautica a few months ago. I was seriously obsessed with it for weeks. Why I waited to play it for a few years is beyond me.

Here’s a screenshot from my first base. I loved wall lockers.

Last edited by hepcat on Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Covfefe!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

That's a lot of jeans.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

:lol: Took me a second to get that.
Covfefe!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Wow you managed to get 3 lockers all at differing heights.. :)..OCD in 3...2....
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

This is free on PS4 for the next month. Just FYI...
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

hepcat wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:23 pm

Here’s a screenshot from my first base.

The screenshot has vanished.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Hmmm...well, I’ll try one more time.
Covfefe!
Dramatist

Post by Dramatist »

I downloaded this free for my PS4 and have really been enjoying it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Now Playing
Marvel Puzzle Quest
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Trailer for the new Subnautica Below Zero game,

My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Messed around with my PS4 version for a couple hours last night. There's certainly lots to like about this one, but having to continually resurface for air every 30 seconds in the early game absolutely drives me bonkers.

I'm sure there's probably something that alleviates this as you progress (bigger air tanks?), but thus far it's been annoying to the point that I'm not sure I really want to continue.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Skinypupy wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:46 pm I'm sure there's probably something that alleviates this as you progress (bigger air tanks?), but thus far it's been annoying to the point that I'm not sure I really want to continue.
Figure it out because it's worth it. It's a great game, even if I have issues.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Skinypupy wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:46 pm Messed around with my PS4 version for a couple hours last night. There's certainly lots to like about this one, but having to continually resurface for air every 30 seconds in the early game absolutely drives me bonkers.

I'm sure there's probably something that alleviates this as you progress (bigger air tanks?), but thus far it's been annoying to the point that I'm not sure I really want to continue.
There is. And it will be the least of your concerns in the not too distant future.

This is seriously one of my favorite games of the last 2 years. I loved the hell out of every minute of it.
Covfefe!
Montag

Post by Montag »

Skinypupy wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:46 pm Messed around with my PS4 version for a couple hours last night. There's certainly lots to like about this one, but having to continually resurface for air every 30 seconds in the early game absolutely drives me bonkers.

Air tanks are very early in the game and the first upgrade comes quick. You can also have more than one tank and swap them out while underwater. Just make sure you remember to refill them all!
words
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

I just finished this. It was a fun ride. I played basic survival. I died a lot at the beginning but rarely toward the ends which feels about right for a survival game. It was at times creepy, beautiful, tense, fun and scary. It definitely confirmed that I will never go cave diving. It was so easy to get turned around in tight spaces. The cave breadcrumb tool was awesome whenever I remembered to use it. Usually I thought about it way too late.

I was playing the PS4 version on the PS5. It ran well and looked great. There were some visual bugs, nothing too distracting. I had it crash once and had to replay about an hour. I ran into the Prawn movement bug many times. Fortunately, I had already installed the grapple arm. It slowed my enjoyment down several times.

I enjoyed the story a lot. The humor didn't really hit with me. The rest of it was great. It felt like a real world with layered history and an active ecosystem. I constantly had little goals that were leading toward bigger goals that lead me all the way to the end of the game. I did use some online maps towards the end so I didn't spend forever wandering around the Lost River or Lava zone.

Each tech and base improvement brought a surge of satisfaction. Perhaps the early frustration enhance the sense of accomplishment later. Overall, highly recommended. I might just be happy that I'm done with Maneater. Seriously, it's a much better game as long as you don't mind the quirks of a survival game.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Hrothgar wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:42 amIt was at times creepy, beautiful, tense, fun and scary.
There was always a sense of awe that accompanied unlocking a new depth and discovering what lived down there - and terror at finding what lived down there.

I have issues with being in the water and unable to see in every direction at once. The limitation of senses freaks me out. Subnautica was hard for me in some places because of that, and I lost track of the number of times I almost soiled myself when something jumped me.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
stessier

Post by stessier »

I just started this game - and just wow. I have barely done anything yet and it's already amazing. So glad I've finally arrived at the party!
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I was watching someone play and it reminded me I was always hoping to be able to research and craft giant lights and lighting to illuminate the area and the deep places. Still would wish for this. Got me also thinking and wondering why the devs didn't include bioluminescence as a research and crafting line. Would be nice with all the glowy stuff to be able to study it and make new lighting and tools and such with it. Plus base and hallway lighting of course. Maybe a underwater room wit ha dome you could light and use as a map room ala Stargate Atlantis or something to decorate and light ...a astronomy dome underwater.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

You can craft some pretty substantial exterior lights (and there already is a map room!)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Never got that far I guess.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Might be time to go back to the game again: Subnautica Living Large Update Released
Hello Subnauts,

We’re delighted to bring you the long-awaited 2.0 update to Subnautica across all platforms.

This update has been a labor of love for the entire Subnautica team. As you might have seen in some of our previous blog posts, a lot of time has been spent addressing a ton of tech debt and bringing across some improved code from Below Zero.

Our goal was always to bring both Subnautica and Below Zero onto unified versions of Unity, and with today’s update, that goal has been achieved. By doing this, we’ve been able to implement several quality of life features, fix many outstanding bugs, and introduce some performance improvements that were already available in Below Zero.

We’ve also added some base pieces to Subnautica that were previously only available in Below Zero, specifically the Large Room, Glass Dome, and surface hatches. Now you can make your bases even more epic than before!

On top of these changes, we’ve also refactored and optimized our save system, which means it’s now even faster and more reliable to save and retrieve your save.

Other additions include:
Adding the TextMeshPro plugin, to improve UI readability and visual quality
Adding an ‘Unstuck’ button to the menu to help get you out of some sticky situations
Bringing over PDA pause, the ability to disable light flashes, and item bars from Below Zero

As for bug fixes, we’ve closed out over 800 in total, including multiple issues related to base building (server clipping, deconstructing buildings whilst inside them), vehicle navigation and piloting.

If you’re not quite ready to move to the new update, because you’re using mods on your save file or otherwise, you can also roll back to the ‘legacy’ beta on Steam to continue playing. Just head to ‘Properties,’ then ‘Betas,’ and choose ‘legacy’ from the drop down. You should do this before you open your save file to play.

We really hope that all of these changes make your Subnautica experience even better than ever! And as some eagle-eyed fans might have spotted, we might have some more exciting news for you in the new year.

But for now, enjoy, and happy diving!

Unknown Worlds
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Wow, great timing. I tried to start this again last week, but having the same frustration as someone mentioned upthread about the early game: the CONSTANT need to come up for air.

It feels like I’m doing something wrong, or missing something big because unless there’s a timer that opens up a resolution for this (after X hours spent underwater, y happens which unlocks the z breathing solution), I’m tempted to bounce…again.

It feels like I don’t have enough oxygen to get anything substantive done underwater, certainly not enough for decent exploring. ???

I haven’t looked anything up online for fear of spoiling too much, and from everything I’ve read about this game, it’s one where it’s best experienced going in blind.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:31 am Wow, great timing. I tried to start this again last week, but having the same frustration as someone mentioned upthread about the early game: the CONSTANT need to come up for air.

It feels like I’m doing something wrong, or missing something big because unless there’s a timer that opens up a resolution for this (after X hours spent underwater, y happens which unlocks the z breathing solution), I’m tempted to bounce…again.

It feels like I don’t have enough oxygen to get anything substantive done underwater, certainly not enough for decent exploring. ???

I haven’t looked anything up online for fear of spoiling too much, and from everything I’ve read about this game, it’s one where it’s best experienced going in blind.
Early on you'll be able to develop better air tanks, although we're still talking staying down only a minute or two. Once you develop the little submersibles you can use those to get close to where you need to explore and return to them to refill your air.

After a while keeping track of remaining air becomes second nature. The need for air helps in the sense of immersion :lol: in the underwater world. It's like the need for food and water, those are annoying yet it is part of the experience.

I seem to recall there is a creative mode if you don't have to worry about any needs at all, but that's like playing tennis without a net to me, there's no challenge.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I'm reinstalling the game now so I can take a look at what I'm trying to recall :roll:
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:31 am Wow, great timing. I tried to start this again last week, but having the same frustration as someone mentioned upthread about the early game: the CONSTANT need to come up for air.

Here are the progressive zero-spoiler to full spoiler tips.
Spoiler:
It isn't forever. Eventually it is barely an inconvenience.
Spoiler:
If you haven't, check what you can craft. Don't forget to check the fabricator on the escape pod.
Spoiler:
If you still haven't, craft an air tank.
Spoiler:
If that isn't enough, you can carry an extra tank in your inventory and swap them out on the fly. Just be aware that they don't (I think) refill in your inventory. You have to equip it in the air for a refill.
Spoiler:
You will also find multiple means to swim faster eventually, letting you get to depth or back to the surface in a tiny fraction of the time.
Non-spoiler to make sure you see it: Make sure that you check your PDA and crafting station to see what new technology has been unlocked. And be sure to make a scanner and scan everything you see.
Spoiler:
Scanning new tech or pieces of new tech teaches you how to craft it.
Spoiler:
Eventually, you'll find a variety of different techs that will allow you several minutes of dive time.
Spoiler:
Eventually, you will also find portable means of refilling your oxygen.
Spoiler:
IE - submersible vehicles.
Sub-topic, going back to minimal spoilers:
Spoiler:
If you're working a lot in a specific area, check what you can craft for that.
Spoiler:
Run a pile from a floating pump on the surface down to where you're working.
And last, a general tip: The points of interest/radio beacons you discover. Those are your story progression and general advancement. Have fun where you're at, but when you're ready to take the next step, start checking beacons.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Nice, thanks! I think I was missing the scanner piece.
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

This is the best Christmas season for backlog gaming ever. I'm rotating between The Witcher 3 (4.0), Subnautica (2.0) and an every Sunday afternoon, Wasteland 3 co-op with my 48-year-old son, Michael.
Jesus said, "Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body."[Matt 10:28] God can totally destroy us.

Jesus also said, "For my Father's will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day.”[John 6:40] Eternal life is conditional.

His disciple John wrote, "Whoever has the Son has eternal life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have eternal life. [1 John 5:12] Eternal life is optional.