THANK YOU! 2024 Fundraising Completed - $2095 / $2000 CDN for the year, June/July Renewal. Paypal Donation Link US dollars

Shadow Hearts: Covenant

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Hipolito

Shadow Hearts: Covenant

Post by Hipolito »

I've put about 55 hours into this game. It's quite fun, and I think I'll like it more than Final Fantasy X in the end. Some of the cutscenes are just so cute!

I've got a question for the pros: you know that little bar that shows how many soul points you have, which empties as you charge up a fusion monster? Would something special happen if I accumulated enough soul points to make that bar rise all the way to the top? I'm sure the answer is in some FAQ, but it's probably buried under other spoiler information that I'd rather not read accidentally.

I have about 3,400 unspent soul points; I estimate it would take 10,000 to fill the bar. So would anything special happen if I let the bar fill up, other than prove how weird I am? Just a "yes" or "no," please. Thanks.
Butterknife

Post by Butterknife »

One of these days I'm going to pull this one out of the shrink wrap and actually play it.
Hipolito

Post by Hipolito »

It's an engaging, humorous game, and much longer than I'd expected. It has a dubious beginning, and I may be missing out on some drama because I never played the first Shadow Hearts game, but I've come to adore the characters. The Judgment Ring system used in combat is a great test of reflexes, and you'll want to get enough sleep to do well! (You can make the Ring easier or turn it off, though.)

My main complaint about the game is its cycle of explore new town, talk to everyone until someone tells you about dungeon, fight through dungeon, defeat easy boss, watch cutscene for a little bit of story, go to next town and repeat. I guess most console RPGs are like this, but I really feel it in this game. There's a bit more variety as the story and characters develop and you find things to collect and unlock.

As for the question I'd raised, I took a careful peek at some FAQs, and it turns out that nothing will happen if I let the soul energy bar fill up. Good to know, now I'll spend those points on some much-needed powers.