Oblivion - out before the end of the year?

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Will Oblivion make shelves before 2006

Yes
28%
No
73%

Total votes: 120

Eightball

Post by Eightball »

I'll have an Xbox 360 at launch, however I will be playing Oblivion as a PC title.

If Bethesda releases the PC version after the Xbox version, I'll be one sorely disappointed PC gamer. One of the last bastions of PC Gaming will have been the next sell-out to consoles....
Hetz

Post by Hetz »

Lee wrote:Again, I think most of us are betting on the PC release, not the XBox version.
Again, the PC version will be out at the same time as the XBox version, according to the developers.
knob

Post by knob »

Anyone see this before? Link shamelessly lifted from Something Awful.

People seem to get OCD whenever they play Morrowind.

http://img14.echo.cx/my.php?image=mjewelside3hq.jpg

Edit: Forgot to add the link
If I had a sig, would you read it?
Greg Wak

Post by Greg Wak »

Do we have an actual day for xbox launch? Or are they still being vague and just saying holidays.
Hetz

Post by Hetz »

Greg Wak wrote:Do we have an actual day for xbox launch? Or are they still being vague and just saying holidays.
I've heard November 15th through the grapevine....but nothing has been made official yet.
Greg Wak

Post by Greg Wak »

That would be great. My first tentative date for Oblivion.
Stitch

Post by Stitch »

Hetz wrote:I've heard November 15th through the grapevine
Please tell me you aren't going to keep this fucker topped off until then.
Greg Wak

Post by Greg Wak »

Hey Stitch why don't you lighten up?!! I'm probably as guilty as Hetz of topping this off and if you don't like it you are certainly free to not click on it.If you are trying to be humerous sorry I missed it otherwise I fail to see the point of being mean just because you can.
Hetz

Post by Hetz »

Stitch wrote:
Hetz wrote:I've heard November 15th through the grapevine
Please tell me you aren't going to keep this fucker topped off until then.
I will now, just for you Stitch!!

You can thank me later.

Wow, this is giving me flashbacks to the Morrowind days...but hey you should be happy that I am trying to keep things contained into a couple threads, instead of lots and lots of them.
Gwog

Post by Gwog »

Not sure if this is considered the 'General Oblivion Thread' thread, but here goes...

One of the things I appreciated about Morrowind was the difference in architectural styles depending on which part of the island you were at. It really heightened the sense of place and the feeling that you were traveling into discretely different areas. I loved that the Tribunal and Bloodmoon designs added even more.

But everything I've seen of Oblivion, excepting the caves and dungeons, seems to be more uniform in it's standard fantasy/Dark Ages styles. Has anyone seem anything (I haven't been following every screenshot or forum post, so I might have missed it) that contradicts this?

I remember the first screenshot of Morrowind hitting me like a lightning bolt, whereas the Oblivion screens haven't gotten me particularly worked up. Oblivion will be a day-one purchase for me regardless, so this is really more idle banter than a possible criticism. I'm there for the naked Nords, anyway.
D.A.Lewis

Post by D.A.Lewis »

Yeah Gwog, I agree.

One of the surprising criticisms of Morrowind was that the game did not have the typical fantasy element and that Oblivion will bring back some of the standard fantasy moitfs (castles and what nots).

But the visual splender of Morrowind owed a lot to its visual diversity. (Although the orignal could have used more snow areas)

Still, the only problem I have with Oblivion is that I may have to upgrade.
(p4-2.53, gforce 5700, 1 gig ram)
Dhruin

Post by Dhruin »

This is an interesting point. As much as I like different settings, I found the art in Morrowind...unattractive. I suspect in general the buying public will prefer the high-fantasy setting in Oblivion: a classic case of (many) gamers saying they want something different when they really don't.
Suitably Ironic Moniker

Post by Suitably Ironic Moniker »

I liked the setting and artwork of Morrowind, too. Still, the more classical style of Oblivion makes sense being that it takes place on the mainland in the heart of the Emperor's realm.
When I was a boy, I laid in my twin-sized bed and wondered where my brother was. - Mitch Hedberg
Greg Wak

Post by Greg Wak »

From what I've read each major town/city will have it's own design, theme and artwork. I just don't think the've shown us much yet which is fine by me, I like surprises.
Arkon

Post by Arkon »

Everything I have seen so far makes it seem like while there will be architectural differences, it won't be so stark as it was in MW. There will be moe subtle differences. I just hope there are/is some underground cities/city, not dungeons but a true city built underground. Could be in a huge cavernous area. Maybe reachable only via a levitate/slowfall spell to drop down through a giant ravine/hole in the ground.
Gwog

Post by Gwog »

One of the surprising criticisms of Morrowind was that the game did not have the typical fantasy element
I will find these people and feast on their entrails.
As much as I like different settings, I found the art in Morrowind...unattractive
Dinner is served!

Anyway, sounds like my impressions might be correct. That would be unfortunate, but I tend to think that even if Oblivion sticks with a more uniform fantasy design, the detailed differences will still be enough.
ChrisGwinn

Post by ChrisGwinn »

Arkon wrote:Everything I have seen so far makes it seem like while there will be architectural differences, it won't be so stark as it was in MW. There will be moe subtle differences. I just hope there are/is some underground cities/city, not dungeons but a true city built underground. Could be in a huge cavernous area. Maybe reachable only via a levitate/slowfall spell to drop down through a giant ravine/hole in the ground.
Why would anyone want to build such a city? I understand how it might be cool to see, but there aren't any dwarfs in TES world anymore, right?
Arkon

Post by Arkon »

I suppose my thinking was more of a city which was swallowed by the earth. Those who survived the cataclysmic events have begun to rebuild. I have no clue if there is anything within lore that would support such an event, but was something in the back of my mind. Technology could be used to have giant lifts running to the surface even.
ChrisGwinn

Post by ChrisGwinn »

Arkon wrote:I suppose my thinking was more of a city which was swallowed by the earth. Those who survived the cataclysmic events have begun to rebuild. I have no clue if there is anything within lore that would support such an event, but was something in the back of my mind. Technology could be used to have giant lifts running to the surface even.
Why wouldn't they just move and rebuild on the surface? Where you can farm and you don't have to build giant lifts.
Arkon

Post by Arkon »

Perhaps they have found resources only available in this chasm, perhaps it offers safety...I forgot that everything had to be logical in a fantasy game.
ChrisGwinn

Post by ChrisGwinn »

Arkon wrote:Perhaps they have found resources only available in this chasm, perhaps it offers safety...I forgot that everything had to be logical in a fantasy game.
Being in a chasm is hardly safe, especially one without easy egress/entrance. All your enemies would need to do is dam a river. And we go underground for coal, but nobody builds a city in a coal mine.

I get driven nuts by fantasy (or sci-fi) worlds that don't have any sort of internal logical consistency. It's one of the things that bugged me about Morrowind - prices, food supply, population levels, etc. None of them made any sense. I think most of it comes from having high school friends who wrote fantasy that didn't make any sense and then made me give them feedback "...and why did the elves go across the desert on a blimp when there's an uninhabited temperate island over here?"

I admit it's a little odd, but the closer a game gets to a real world the more they bother me. I don't wonder why the little nethack guy is wandering around the nonsensical dungeon, but I start expecting things to make sense in a game like Morrowind. Or if they don't makes sense, I expect the NPCs to recognize them as odd. That's one of the things I liked about Fallout/Arcanum.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Their culture thinks caves are really cool, and that houses on the surface gives you house cooties.

Done and done.
ChrisGwinn

Post by ChrisGwinn »

wonderpug wrote:Their culture thinks caves are really cool, and that houses on the surface gives you house cooties.

Done and done.
Then it wouldn't be swallowed by the earth, because they wouldn't have built a regular city to begin with.
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

Why would anyone want to build such a city?
I always thought Exile/Avernum did it well - you have cities built underground because the people in power didn't like you (and others), so they teleported you down there (an area that had already been explored considerably by expiditoons). The inital "purge", involved a number of mages losing a power struggle. The mages are unable to simply return everyone to the surface. However, they use their considferably powers to help everyone get by - creating a magical fungus that glows and spreads on cave roofs (light), mushroom farms, fishing, etc. A society slowly forms, and people learn to live with it (mushroom beer, alas, doesn't quite own up to the surface stuff).

I tend to agree with you - generally in a CRPG with a big setting things that appear "weird for the sake of edgy" or anything like that bug me. I always thought it worked well there though. An underground city for the sake of an underground city strikes me as terribly Final Fantasy. Some people enjoy that kind of thing, but I do not.
Montag

Post by Montag »

Look at Asimov's work. The Robot series had pretty much all the people of the earth have agoraphobia.
knob

Post by knob »

Peacedog wrote: I tend to agree with you - generally in a CRPG with a big setting things that appear "weird for the sake of edgy" or anything like that bug me. I always thought it worked well there though. An underground city for the sake of an underground city strikes me as terribly Final Fantasy. Some people enjoy that kind of thing, but I do not.

That's one of the reasons I had a hard time getting into Arx Fatalis. It's not even the actual "story" part of the setting that bothers me, it's the fact that these underground games become so close quarters and dark.

I'm not claustrophobic, but I do prefer games with wide open areas. I might even be willing to look past the whole underground thing if they had vast caverns to explore, not small little caves.
knob

Post by knob »

And since all of the Morrowind fanboys are reading this, I'll use it to my advantage:

How do you open the alchemy window to make potions in Morrowind? :oops:
jeansberg

Post by jeansberg »

First you need some alchemy equipment, i.e. a mortar and pestle to begin with. Then i think you have to activate that equipment in the inventory by right-clicking it or whatever.

Of course, i haven't played the game in years, but give it a shot :)
JayG

Post by JayG »

Eightball wrote:I'll have an Xbox 360 at launch, however I will be playing Oblivion as a PC title.

If Bethesda releases the PC version after the Xbox version, I'll be one sorely disappointed PC gamer. One of the last bastions of PC Gaming will have been the next sell-out to consoles....
Since the XBox version is supposed to have sold more then the PC, I could hardly blame them. I won't be getting a XBox 360 for a good while, and unless Oblivion runs well on todays top of the range machine, I think I'll be passing on it.
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

JayG wrote: I won't be getting a XBox 360 for a good while, and unless Oblivion runs well on todays top of the range machine, I think I'll be passing on it.
There is an interview with Todd Howard at gamechronicles where he talks about the PC and what they hope to get it running on. I was surprised and hopeful.
GCM: Oblivion is scheduled to be released for the Xbox 360 and high end PC’s. Will it be a launch title for the 360? What sort or system requirements will be needed in order to run Oblivion from a PC?

Todd Howard: We’re shooting for the holidays, but can’t give you an exact date yet. As far as system specs for the PC… you know us! If you want the full-on graphics, expect to buy the best thing you can when the game comes out. We plan on having it run on as many systems as possible, but it’s too early to say how far we can drop the spec right now. We do have that as a goal – having it run on a wider variety of systems than Morrowind did.
Huw the Poo

Post by Huw the Poo »

Valael wrote: How do you open the alchemy window to make potions in Morrowind? :oops:
In your inventory, pick up any piece of alchemical equipment and drop it on your avatar.
knob

Post by knob »

Ah, thanks you much.
farley2k

Post by farley2k »

Thought I should resurect this so I could say

I told you so!!!

Damm, I am a prick! :)
Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative the same night

- Dave Barry
docvego

Post by docvego »

you are teh suck
Hetz

Post by Hetz »

But...but....the golden FAQ of wisdom that is NEVER WRONG and Baghdad Pete still say Holiday 2005!

:lol:

Curses! You win this time, Farley!!!! *shakes fist*
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Hetz wrote:
The Meal wrote:I think it's a bit early to declare victory or loss until the actual release occurs or the calendar changes and the game isn't released.

~Neal
VICTORY IS MINE!

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/050516/lam142.html
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion has not yet been rated by the ESRB and is slated to ship for PC and Xbox 360 in winter 2005.
;)
Hee-hee. (Of course, I'm waiting until the holiday season passes without Oblivion on the shelves before I get too gloaty.)

~Neal
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

I voted no.