KOTOR difficulty levels?

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Grifman

KOTOR difficulty levels?

Post by Grifman »

Anyone know the difference in difficulty levels for KOTOR. I've asked at the official forums, done a search there, but can't find the answer anywhere. I've played normal, but wondering what to expect at difficult/hard. Thanks.

Grifman
Itsatrap

Post by Itsatrap »

I can't remember for certain, but I think it affects required DC/to-hit numbers, etc.

- Alan
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Itsatrap wrote:I can't remember for certain, but I think it affects required DC/to-hit numbers, etc.

- Alan
Ok, LOL, this is the second time, once on the game forums that I got an answer like this. No insult intended but I could have guessed that, ok? I mean it is increased difficulty, so it's got to mean either increased hitpoints, or attack, or defense, etc. I'm looking for something specific, like 20 HP per level or 10% to attack/defense, etc.

Grifman
noun

Post by noun »

Um, IIRC, if you move the selector to different difficulty levels, the screen should tell you exactly what changes would be made: increased hit points, lowered resistance, etc.

Otherwise, you could always RTFM. ;)
Kratz

Post by Kratz »

noun wrote:Otherwise, you could always RTFM. ;)
See, that's only funny if it's in the manual, which it isn't.

Here's what it says in the manual:
Gameplay: Adjust various gameplay options, including the difficulty level.
noun

Post by noun »

I stand corrected, but at least you made the effort to look.

I'm pretty sure the differences are mentioned onscreen in the options menu, because I could swear I saw them when I replayed it recently. But I'm not at my gaming computer at the moment. I'll look tonight.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

noun wrote:Otherwise, you could always RTFM. ;)
Nice assumption on your part that I didn't read the manual - but then, you would be wrong.

Grifman
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

noun wrote:I stand corrected, but at least you made the effort to look.

I'm pretty sure the differences are mentioned onscreen in the options menu, because I could swear I saw them when I replayed it recently. But I'm not at my gaming computer at the moment. I'll look tonight.
I'll save you the trouble - all it is say is "This game is meant to be played at normal difficulty level. Changing the difficulty level will result in significant changes, blah, blah, blah . . ."

No details unfortunately - there or in the manual.

Grifman
noun

Post by noun »

Well, shut my mouth, you're absolutely right. I even checked Gamefaqs to see if one of those had some details. Nothing. How totally bizarre. I can't believe no one ever noticed this before.

Paging Kasey Chang...
Itsatrap

Post by Itsatrap »

Grifman wrote:
Itsatrap wrote:I can't remember for certain, but I think it affects required DC/to-hit numbers, etc.

- Alan
Ok, LOL, this is the second time, once on the game forums that I got an answer like this. No insult intended but I could have guessed that, ok? I mean it is increased difficulty, so it's got to mean either increased hitpoints, or attack, or defense, etc. I'm looking for something specific, like 20 HP per level or 10% to attack/defense, etc.

Grifman
Sorry, I didn't know what info you did/didn't have. You asked, I answered, my mistake. :?

- Alan
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

noun wrote:Well, shut my mouth, you're absolutely right. I even checked Gamefaqs to see if one of those had some details. Nothing. How totally bizarre. I can't believe no one ever noticed this before.

Paging Kasey Chang...
Believe me, I checked them also. Done a search on Google too. So believe me when I say I just don't ask questions on forums before trying to find the answer myself beforehand :)

Grifman
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Itsatrap wrote:
Grifman wrote:

- Alan

Grifman
Sorry, I didn't know what info you did/didn't have. You asked, I answered, my mistake. :?

- Alan
Well, I'm sorry if I sounded terse but I knew obviously that if it made the game more difficult it would do the things you said it would. That would be obvious, wouldn't it? :) I was looking for details in this case. Sorry if I was short.

Grifman
Yog-Sothoth

Post by Yog-Sothoth »

I would be surprised if it raised DCs. Since the game designers don't know what class the player will be or what NPCs are being used, raising DCs could make things difficult.

I don't remember that many critical things depending on DCs, but I'd think the game designers would avoid such landmines (metaphorically speaking) and revert to the tried/true/boring increase of HPs and damage/enemy attack.

One thing I doubt they'd raise are the DCs for upgrading HK-47. They are so high already that only certain characters have a chance of doing it anyway.
Spock's Brain

Post by Spock's Brain »

Um, IIRC, if you move the selector to different difficulty levels, the screen should tell you exactly what changes would be made: increased hit points, lowered resistance, etc.
Maybe you were thinking of Neverwinter Nights, which *does* show all the details when you move the difficulty slider. :?:

In any case, I was just looking at how Bioware implemented difficulty levels in NWN, and Very Difficult differs from Normal in the following ways:
  • 200% damage from enemies
  • Area effect spells (e.g, fireball) can damage PCs
  • Enemies can inflict critical hits
  • Enemies can get Attacks of Opportunity on PCs who are using ranged weapons or drinking potions
  • Longer duration for Sleep, Hold, Paralyze, and Stun

If they used a similar system for KOTOR, then that might translate to double damage, damage from own grenades (and blaster fire?), increased duration of some disabling force effects, etc.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Yes, that seems possible. Someone in another forum replied that they don't seem to take any more hits, so Bioware doesn't seem to be increasing HP any. However, this same poster did say that Dark Jedi seemed more inclined to use Force Powers against you. They probably should have tweaked HP some - enemies seem to go down pretty quickly, even Dark Jedi at the end. I remember rolling over them pretty easily on both the Leviathan and Starforge with my Guardian.

Grifman
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I think if you beat the game on the "Hard" setting it unlocks the nude Bastila model.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Little Raven

Post by Little Raven »

I don't know the exact differences causing by upping the level. I do know that they can't be that significant: I played through at least twice on Hard, and only remember three really hard fights:
  • Dark Jedi apprentice in the Sith base on the first level.
  • Derek Starkiller in the Arena.
  • Goddamn mother loving albino Krath Hound.
Other than that, I would occasionally get into trouble if I got overly cocky, (Sand people on Tatooine!) but nothing too bad.
/. "She climbed backwards out her
\/ window into Outside Over There."