So, no Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 thread yet?

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Dramatist

So, no Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 thread yet?

Post by Dramatist »

I'm hoping this will warrant a purchase soon, but I'd love to hear some impressions.

I thought RCT1 was cool, and that RCT2 was a disappointment due to no new engine.
Now Playing
Marvel Puzzle Quest
Eduardo X

Post by Eduardo X »

This forum is highly under-utilized!
WE NEED MORE PCGBT Threads, STAT!
ohh and here is your rolly eyes you lost em. :roll:
-AttAdude
Asharak

Post by Asharak »

If someone can tell me that I'll be able to design my own rollercoasters without having everyone get off them either bored stiff or puking their guts out, I'll pick this up this afternoon.

- Ash
Dramatist

Post by Dramatist »

Eduardo X wrote:This forum is highly under-utilized!
WE NEED MORE PCGBT Threads, STAT!
This is exactly what I was thinking when I posted. :)

I checked this forum about 10 times before I posted to, figuring someone would start an impressions thread.
Now Playing
Marvel Puzzle Quest
CSL

Post by CSL »

I bought the first two, but didn't really like the second. Perhaps third time is a charm?
Eduardo X

Post by Eduardo X »

The first one blew me away.
It was like Transport Tycoon and vomit, together at last!
But, the second one was so boring for some reason. It just didn't have that same magic, and I doubt #3 will either.
ohh and here is your rolly eyes you lost em. :roll:
-AttAdude
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Definitely check out the demo for the third one. While you aren't able to tunnel underground anymore, the move to 3d makes it a whole new ballgame. Plus, it looks like the designers have really gone crazy with the number of different rides you can make. Heck, you can even do a replica of the Jaws train ride.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
Meghan

Post by Meghan »

I loved the demo! Although I can't figure out to keep my maintenance people where I want them.

Coaster Building is easier in this one

Coaster Cam is genius - you can ride any rid in your park

Nighttime displays! This sold me right there. I love Cedar Point at night when the lights go up and the midway just glows.

Also, Fireworks displays which you can choreograph yourself.

Improved interface - ugly icons but very useable concept.

More controls over the 3d people.

This is defnitely the improvement people have been looking for. It's a must have for me (and my assorted family members too.)
If I ventured in the slipstream / between the viaducts of your dream

aka merneith, aka kylhwch
WPD

Post by WPD »

Chaz wrote:Definitely check out the demo for the third one. While you aren't able to tunnel underground anymore, the move to 3d makes it a whole new ballgame. Plus, it looks like the designers have really gone crazy with the number of different rides you can make. Heck, you can even do a replica of the Jaws train ride.
Could you make the Octopus Overlords take over the park?

(I would say ride, but they would never allow that)
Reemul

Post by Reemul »

According to the RCT3 forums the inital game is bugged to hell. Seems the game is based on the 1st beta demo rather than the updated 1.2 demo.

http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums/fo ... orumid=315

Here`s hoping a patch is out by next week when it`s realeased in the UK as my wife really wants it.
Asharak

Post by Asharak »

Meghan wrote:Coaster Building is easier in this one
I'm so there...

Hopefully the bugs don't affect me. :P

- Ash
jpinard

Post by jpinard »

Yea the game is insanely buggy. It's just pathetic. Here's my repost:

Amoung the showstoppers:

1. People will complain about not having "xxx rides availabel" as they walk right past them.

2. People will only get in line 50% of the time, and many rides will not get any people unless it's "free".

3. To see a consensus on what peopel think of you park, you'd have to click on all 500-2,000 people individually (STUPID!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

4. There's a lot of keyboard functions listed in the manual, startegy guide, and official FAQ's that don't work.

5. Super slow fps in medium-large parks with more than 1,000 people.

6. Lots and lots of crashing and instability issues being reported (although mine has not crashed).

7. FPS view is missing even thought this was a much touted feature of "walking around your park".

8. The game's financial statement doesn't even add/subtract correctly.

9. People often disappear midway through a ride.

10. People will complain about being thirsty and will walk right past a "free" drink stand.

11. The information booth, burger stands, drink stands, and first aid stand "break-down". What the f**k! How does an information booth break down? You can't even send a repair guy there.

12. Assignments for workers don't work.

Well these are just the ones that annoy me personally, but go to the Atari forums to see the insanity. http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums/sh ... did=421841

I don't mind some bugs, but this is ridiculous. You can't even finish the first scenario unless you "cheat" your way through it. YEP! The supposed easiest scenario is crippled because of bugs.
Rip

Post by Rip »

Well I just bought it this afternoon. Played 30 mins so far. Love the graphics. My kids love riding the rides. I've really enjoyed so far.

Sort of wish I had read this last comment first now. I would have held off and probably gotten NBA Live instead. Oh well hopefully it's all patchable in short order.
“A simple democracy is the devil’s own government.”
— Benjamin Rush
--
Asharak

Post by Asharak »

I'm so not there (yet).

jpinard: do you by any chance know if those bugs are universal, or specific to particular systems? Most of them sound universal, which is depressing... :(

Oh well, more time for me to play R:TW and OOTP, then.

- Ash
jpinard

Post by jpinard »

They're universal. And there's sooooooo many more major ones I'm not listing.
Mithridates

Post by Mithridates »

Wow, what a mess. I had planned on grabbing it, but decided to hold off in light of several November "must-haves". I'm glad I opted not to grab it!
Jeff V

Re: So, no Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 thread yet?

Post by Jeff V »

Dramatist wrote:I thought RCT1 was cool, and that RCT2 was a disappointment due to no new engine.
I will not be buying RCT3 no matter what, as my wallet is still complaining about being picked by that sham that RCT2. Considering the boatloads of money made on the first, there is no excuse that the sequel should have been MOTS with the same engine. That stunt earned them one pissed off customer for life.
Dramatist

Post by Dramatist »

I guess it's a good thing I decided to hold off a while. I let them patch things up and maybe even wait for the expansion pack.
Now Playing
Marvel Puzzle Quest
Ummagumma

Post by Ummagumma »

Definitely wait for the patch, this thing is bugged to high heaven. The movement of peeps around your park is munged, no matter how efficiently your layout or ride selection. They all bunch up on the main patch and don't populate branches off of it, and queue lines bust so they just walk past it. Plus, workers won't stay on assigned paths. Blech.
DD

Post by DD »

Yikes - sounds like I'm saving my pennies till this thing is patched.
Ummagumma

Post by Ummagumma »

It's a shame too, because there's a really fantastic, dramatic improvement of the RCT formula just dying to come out here. If they can patch Peep A.I. then you'll have GOTY material.
Ummagumma

Post by Ummagumma »

To update this thread, Update #1 (that has an ominous ring to it, yes?) will be released today or tomorrow with the following fixes included:
Update #1 Contents:

A guest list window is present in Update #1 and accessed via a new ‘Guests’ button under the Park Management menu. The window allows you to click on an icon to select either a view of all the individuals in the park or a summarized list. Then you can choose to display either their status or their thoughts, and control whether the information is presented in ascending or descending order. The window's summarized thoughts mode lists gameplay-relevant thoughts only. Additionally the look of the Park Management > Attractions menu window has been updated in Update #1.

Queue path arrangement. In the retail game if there are two or more queues connected to the same grid square, peeps will only go down the first queue they see, so only one of the rides connected to the grid square will get any traffic. In Update #1 this is fixed so if there are two or more queues connected to the same tile, people will make an informed decision as to which ride to queue for, rather than going down the first queue they see.

Maps. Depending on the layout of your park, peeps may not know your rides are there. By selling maps you can make all those peeps who buy maps aware of all the rides in the park. Otherwise, as in a real park, peeps will only know about the rides in their immediate vicinity. Update #1 contains code that increases the distance over which peeps who don’t have maps will be aware of rides.

Update #1 contains code to make peeps more likely (N.B. not 100% of the time) to revisit rides that they enjoyed before going on other rides.

Update #1 changes the behavior of block brakes so that in the case of a clear track ahead the brakes section just slows down the train to the specified speed and lets it continue.

In the retail game coaster ratings can fluctuate wildly. These problems are fixed in Update #1.

In Update #1 employees stay in their assigned areas even if they have nothing to do.

Update #1 adds Powered launch modes to many types of coaster.

Update #1 contains code which improves flickering lights behaviour when cars stops at stations (for example, chairlift and go-karts), whereby stations now have their own light and when a car enters its own lights are switched off.

In Update #1, Tracked rides’ maximum heights have been increased by 50%, Coasters’ maximum heights have been increased by 20% (except Air Powered, Reverse Freefall, and Strata Coaster). In addition, a cheat is present in both the retail game and Update #1, whereby renaming any peep John Wardley removes all height restrictions.In the retail version if you build a coaster with a particular track piece the car flips upside down. This is due to a bug in that track piece, and the offending piece has been fixed and is included in Update #1.

In the retail game the gentle rides had to have a low price set to get peeps on the rides, making it difficult to make a significant profit. In Update #1 these rides have been made more attractive to peeps so that they are more likely to generate good profits.

Update #1 contains code which greatly reduces the frequency of shops and stalls breaking down compared to the retail game. Note: Shops and stalls already placed in a level may need to break down once before the new rate takes effect.

Update #1 removes the too-restrictive limit on the maximum number of cars per train for many coaster cars.

Update #1 contains code which increases the amount of time before peeps start complaining about queue times.
In the retail game, water rides have the sound effects for a steel coaster, with no water sounds. This is fixed in Update #1.
In the retail version the Go Karts sound very loud. This is fixed in Update #1.

In the retail game the “Most Disappointing” fine can appear frequently. The threshold at which this fine kicks in and the frequency of the fine have been reduced in Update #1.

In the retail game if you use the Scenery Visibility toggle trees and rides can sometimes start shifting all over the screen. This was a bug due to graphical matrix palettes not being set correctly in some circumstances that unfortunately was missed in testing. Update #1 fixes this problem.

Update#1 addresses a small number of further compatibility issues which could cause instability in the retail version in some circumstances, so if after ensuring you have known good device drivers you still experience a problem, install Update#1.
Looks like they've addressed all of the major issues from the retail release. I wonder what kind of economic calculation is made that makes it add up that it's okay to release a buggy mess that will surely malign the reputation of both developer and publisher forevermore, and then release a patch making it all better a week later?

:? :? :?
Napoleon

Post by Napoleon »

Wow, that's bad. Some of those bugs/features were already fully present and working in the previous RCT games.

Such a pity. I think I'll hold off till the bargain bin.
Where Cows Congregate - The Bovine Conspiracy
Ummagumma

Post by Ummagumma »

The patch is available on Fileplanet now, Nappy, if you'd like to give it a shot. On first blush, it seems to address the problems with peeps moving around the park.
Asharak

Post by Asharak »

So does this thing get a hearty "it's fixed, go ahead and buy it" at this point recommendation?

- Ash
Ummagumma

Post by Ummagumma »

Well, the patch sure seems to make the peeps move around the park in a more intelligent manner, they frequent rides they like more and the gentler rides now make a profit, albiet a small one in comparison to your huge, thrilling monolith coasters. One thing for people who already own the game; if you've started a scenario pre-patch, you'll have to start a new one afterwards because the patch will create all sorts of havok with previously saved games, such as your workers getting "lost" and just standing around even with a clear route to work.

Unfortunately, the patch seems to have introduced a nasty CTD bug, which is generally the kiss of death for me since how can you have fun with a strategy game that could unceremoniously dump you to desktop after all that hard work? Having to save every 10 minutes is just too much of a chore.

So, still no green light from me, even though post-patch the gameplay is MUCH improved.
Asharak

Post by Asharak »

Ummagumma wrote:Unfortunately, the patch seems to have introduced a nasty CTD bug, which is generally the kiss of death for me since how can you have fun with a strategy game that could unceremoniously dump you to desktop after all that hard work? Having to save every 10 minutes is just too much of a chore.

So, still no green light from me, even though post-patch the gameplay is MUCH improved.
Since I'm already a genetic freak for saving games constantly anyway, that doesn't concern me too much. I'm not planning on hitting the mall for another couple days anyway, but it sounds like I'll be taking a hard look at this one when I'm there.

- Ash
Ummagumma

Post by Ummagumma »

Actually, Ash, I hope I catch you before you lay down cash for this thing, but it appears the "lost" bug happens even if you start a new scenario post-patch, so don't buy this game yet!. With Mechanics getting mysteriously lost, your rides will break down constantly, this is definitely a show-stopper.

Hopefully the inevitable Update #2 will address this. And then, of course, Update #3 can fix the Update #2 bugs. And so on, ad infinitum.
Lee

Post by Lee »

Yikes, I was thinking of picking this up. Please keep us updated guys.
For motivation and so Jeff V can make me look bad:
2010 Totals: Biking: 65 miles Running: 393 miles
2009 Finals: Biking: 93 miles Running: 158 miles (I know it sucked, but I had a hernia most of the year)
Asharak

Post by Asharak »

Ummagumma wrote:Actually, Ash, I hope I catch you before you lay down cash for this thing, but it appears the "lost" bug happens even if you start a new scenario post-patch, so don't buy this game yet!.
Damn. This is what I get for not reading the forums before leaving for the day...

Oh well. They seem to be patching the thing relatively promptly, and R:TW still has plenty of life in it, so I'll just let this thing sit on my desk for another week or so. :P

Thanks for the heads-up, Umma. Should save me a couple hours of grief, at any rate, if not the cash.

- Ash
DD

Post by DD »

Almost picked this one up at Target yesterday - they had it for $35. Glad I didn't, though I'll definitely keep an eye on the patch progress.
CSL

Post by CSL »

Played it a little tonight. From what I saw (two tutorials and the first scenario) its a great game hidden behind a large amount of bugs. Of course I didn't see any of those bugs. the queue lines for my rides were nearly non-existant however (one ride had 60 people in line however). No crashes in over two hours of gameplay. Its more stable then a Paradox release (which is good), but i'd advise everyone to wait off until a few more patchs are released.

Though it is very fun.......very very fun.

Might revise that opinion after the bugs kick in but after playing one scenario its already better than RCT2. RCT however still remains the champ.

One last thing was Chris Sawyer even involved in this?
Asharak

Post by Asharak »

C'mon people, do my work for me: are they making any progress with this thing?

- Ash
Ummagumma

Post by Ummagumma »

Well, I'm not sure about the status of the official non-beta update, but the game as it stands now is playable, but requires you to jump through a few hoops to make it work.

To prevent your staff from quitting rapidly, you must keep an eye on the staff list and train them as they become disgruntled. So you have to have enough cash coming in quickly at the beginning of a scenario to pay for all this immediate training.

Also, if you spot a ride where the queue is full but no one is getting on the ride, just swoop in and pluck out the first couple of peeps in line, and the queue should start operating correctly and people will board the ride again.

And, of course, don't assign your mechanics routes or they will get "lost" the first time they're called away to fix a ride.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Also - scenery and theming is much, much more important than in other incarnations. If nobody is doing anything but wandering around, make sure that all of your paths have interesting things to look at - decorations, foliage, and so on. Remove all partial paths that don't go anywhere or they will frustrate your visitors.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Ummagumma

Post by Ummagumma »

Blackhawk wrote:Also - scenery and theming is much, much more important than in other incarnations. If nobody is doing anything but wandering around, make sure that all of your paths have interesting things to look at - decorations, foliage, and so on. Remove all partial paths that don't go anywhere or they will frustrate your visitors.
True that, you'll actually notice peeps complaining that "this mix of themeing is ugly", so you have to keep themeing consistent in sections of your park. Makes all the scenery items much more important and overal design of your park more fun to do because it has impact.
Asharak

Post by Asharak »

Right then. One installation coming up.

Thanks guys, much appreciated. :)

- Ash
Asharak

Post by Asharak »

CoasterCam rocks my world. :D

- Ash
Ummagumma

Post by Ummagumma »

On the spin rides I actually get vertigo sometimes in coastercam.
Ummagumma

Post by Ummagumma »

Here's the readme lowdown on the official non-beta update, which should be released this Friday. Again, it seems that Frontier has addressed the major concerns from the beta patch, let's hope that no new issues are included with this one.

I especially like the ability to see the patrol routes of other staff type when adding or changing one for an employee. Well, duh! :?
Welcome to the
ROLLERCOASTER TYCOON® 3
UPDATE 1 README FILE!
Nov 17, 2004
For best results, view this README file with Word Wrap enabled.

This README file contains helpful information regarding UPDATE 1 for RollerCoaster Tycoon® 3.

UPDATE 1 for RCT3 introduces some new features, modifies the game's behavior based on early player feedback and addresses some problems which have come to light. Thank you to all who spent their time and effort sending in feedback, it was greatly appreciated. We have tried to respond individually to as many as possible, but this was unfortunately not possible in every case.

Sections II, III and IV below include a summary of the major changes for this update. More details and information on other topics you may find useful may be found at the following website: http://www.frontier.co.uk/games/rct3/faq.html

README.TXT CONTENTS
-------------------
I - SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
II - NEW FEATURES
III - NEW BALANCING AND TWEAKS
IV - BUG FIXES
V - ATARI CUSTOMER SERVICE
VI - END USER LICENSE AGREEMENT
VII - TRADEMARK AND COPYRIGHT

I - SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
-----------------------

OPERATING SYSTEM
Windows® 98SE/Me/2000/XP (Windows® XP recommended)
PROCESSOR
Pentium® III 733 MHz or compatible (Pentium® 4 1.3 GHz or compatible recommended)
MEMORY
128 MB RAM; 256 MB for XP (256 MB; 384 MB for XP recommended)
HARD DISK SPACE
600 MB Free
CD–ROM DRIVE
4X Speed or faster (8X Speed or faster recommended)
VIDEO
ATI Radeon™ or 32 MB GeForce™ 2 or higher. (64 MB ATI Radeon recommended)*
SOUND
Windows® 98/Me/2000/XP-compatible 16-bit sound card* (PC audio solution containing Dolby Digital Live required for Dolby Digital audio)
DIRECTX®
DirectX® version 9.0 (included with the retail release of the game) or higher
*Indicates device should be compatible with DirectX® version 9.0 or higher.
Windows Media CODEC version 9 is installed with the game. This technology is also installed when updating to Windows Media Player 10.

II - NEW FEATURES
------------------
NEW GUEST LIST (PEEP THOUGHTS) WINDOW - A Guest List (peeps' thoughts) window has been added and can be accessed by clicking on the 'Guests' button located at the bottom of the 'Park Management' buttons. The window allows you to click on an icon to select either a view of all the individuals in the park or a summarized list. You may also display either peep status or thoughts, and control whether the information is presented in ascending or descending order. The window lists only thoughts that are relevant to game-play.

EMPLOYEE DUTY ZONES - This update allows players to see the patrol zones for other staff members of same type while editing patrol zone for a staff member.

POWERED LAUNCH MODE - added to more coaster types.

THREE NEW FIREWORK DISPLAYS have been added.

NO ENTRY SIGNS - staff now ignore these signs so they can get to do their job quicker.

III - NEW BALANCING AND TWEAKS
-------------------------------

GENERAL - Based on players' feedback, several balancing changes have been introduced to make the game a little more forgiving, especially with regard to peeps who won't ride the rides. But be aware, peeps will still not go on rides if their basic needs are not met; you MUST take steps to ensure the basics (food, money, and toilets) are provided for your peeps so they can continue to enjoy spending their money in your park.

PUSHING THE ENVELOPE - A number of coasters now have higher maximum limits and faster launch speeds.

QUEUE LINES AND TERRAIN EDITING - Editing the terrain occupied by queues is no longer allowed. Previously, if terrain under a queue line was modified, the modifications could break the queue line and that may not have been readily apparent to players.

COMPLAINTS - The peeps and staff now complain less, for example about fatigue and pay.

BREAKDOWNS - Breakdowns now occur less frequently.

BLOCK BRAKES - The function of block brakes has been modified so that, in the case of a clear track ahead, the brakes section will slow down the train to the specified speed and permit it continue. If the train is traveling slower than the permitted speed and the track is clear ahead, its speed is BOOSTED to that permitted value.

IV - BUG FIXES
--------------
Please make sure you have the most up-to-date drivers for your PC, especially for your graphics cards, as there are some known crashes and slow-downs that occur with all but the latest device drivers. Consult the manufacture regarding driver updates.

CHARACTER AI (peep behavior) - A small number of rarely-occurring bugs have been addressed, including one related to queuing problems.

WATER RIDES SOUND EFFECTS - This update adds water ride sound effects for appropriate rides.

COASTER RATINGS - No longer fluctuate.

VENDOR AND STAFF UNIFORMS - Uniforms are now preserved when the game is saved.

STABILITY - A small number of compatibility issues that surfaced after the release of the game which could cause instability on certain systems have been fixed.