Need for Speed Underground 2

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

SuperHiro

Need for Speed Underground 2

Post by SuperHiro »

Just read the preview on IGN.

A few questions for people.

- Is this going to be keyboard friendly?
- Anyone interested in it? It looks cool but this feels like a strictly only-if-forum-effect-is-strong type game.
raydude

Post by raydude »

I tried the demo last night. My wheel is at a friends house and I was too lazy to hook up a gamepad to the computer, so I tried driving w/ the keyboard.

I feel the driving is too twitchy with the keyboard. The keyboard keys seemed like they only had an "on/off" switch. So, if you press on the accelerator key it feels like the car just goes full throttle until you let go of the key.

I'm going to try it again w/ the gamepad and see if its less twitchy that way.
CSL

Post by CSL »

I liked the first one good enough, hoping for more keyboard friendly controls though.

My big question is will parts become less limited. In NFSU it really felt that everything was really linear and parts were very thin, no REAL customization. And no real incentive to upgrade your car either, played through all of the game with the Miata!
obb

Post by obb »

I'm going to go out on a limb and call it:

The forum effect does not appear to be strong with this one, Master.

DISCLAIMER: The forum-effect sensitivity of obb is not FDA-approved and thus not accountable for any mistakes/overdoses when heeded. YMMV.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

I gave the demo a try with my wheel, and I'm thinking the NFSU stands for Need for Slow-motion Underground. Everything felt like it was moving through molasses, and the steering felt very unresponsive. Even using nitrous you could watch the buildings and walls just kind of pass on by. I played the original afterwards and it felt like lightspeed. I agree about the customization of the original. No real choice, you just picked the next upgrade as it was available. I'd like to have to make a decision for each part, like this part increases this, but decreases that. I've only been using the Miata as well, CSL. Ranked no. 6 and haven't had anything better become available.

I think the structure of number 2 will be better, but if they don't do something with the driving experience, I'm not too sure I'll upgrade.

Ale
raydude

Post by raydude »

Well, I played it again last night with my gamepad. Much easier to control this time! I think perhaps that playing with the wheel might be even better, so I'll try that next week.

The feature I most like about the game, and basically the only feature I tried last night, was the out-run races that come out of the free-explore mode. Basically, if you drive up to another "tuner" car, it gives you the option of doing an out-run challenge against him. Once it starts, the word "go" appears on the screen and you have to follow the car, take the lead, and once you have the lead, out-run the other car by a certain number of feet by leading him on a wild goose chase around the city.

It was pretty fun, and there were no long waits while a "loading" screen came up. It just seemed like one minute I'm exploring the city, and the next I'm racing another car. Very free-flowing and it didn't take me out of the game by introducing any downtime (like a stoplight or countdown to a race start).

Nice feature, and fun to boot.
gorham09

Post by gorham09 »

I'm with Alefroth on this one. I played the demo and thought the cotnrols were to slow and stiff. I then started up the original (I am about half way through underground mode) and it was like night and day. Controls were much more loose and responsive and the sense of speed was much more pronounced.
Zekester

Post by Zekester »

The feature I most like about the game, and basically the only feature I tried last night, was the out-run races that come out of the free-explore mode. Basically, if you drive up to another "tuner" car, it gives you the option of doing an out-run challenge against him. Once it starts, the word "go" appears on the screen and you have to follow the car, take the lead, and once you have the lead, out-run the other car by a certain number of feet by leading him on a wild goose chase around the city.
Street Legal Racing: Redline has this feature, and I love it.
Glad to hear it made it's way to the NFS series.

SLR:R is my fave racing game to date, despite the bugs.
Name the 3 branches of the US Government: "Judicial, legislative....I can twerk"
J.D.

Post by J.D. »

Is this one going to be called:

Need for Speed: Underground: Extreme AI Catch-up logic Strikes Back??