Help *us* help *you*. Official Polls.

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

What type of MP gaming do you *prefer* (but not neccessarily limit yourself to)

I'm a deathmatching machine. Kill 'em ALL!
3%
I like adversarial, but I prefer having teammates to absorb bullets for me. TDM all the way.
44%
I hate getting pwned by 10 year olds. I'm a co-op junkie.
53%

Total votes: 36

CharlieDelta

Help *us* help *you*. Official Polls.

Post by CharlieDelta »

Maybe it's seperation anxiety ofter the fall of GG, maybe it's just more people noticing this forum is here after the move, maybe aliens have snatched everyones body and replaced them with drones, but whatever the reason, there' seems to be a real hankering for some MP action around here again, and I couldn't be happier. hell, I even saw RM9 post here. I didn't think he knew the MP gaming forum existed ;) So, in the first part of an official series of polls that will help me get my finger on the pulse of the OO MP nation, I want to set up a quick poll.

[edit: I voted Co-Op BTW, and in option 2, "TDM" doesn't neccessarily mean you only play team deathmatch. Select it if you prefer any type of team vs. team adversarial style of play.]
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I hate polls like this--I like all three types, so I'll clarify my position. I voted team-vs-team, but I'm always up for good old DM, and a co-op battle in Serious Sam is great fun. RTSs also float my boat.
Grafvolluth

Post by Grafvolluth »

I'd rate it like this
Teams
Coop
Deathmatch

I like someone else to cover my deficiencies.

On another unrelated note don't try to spell deficiencies when you have had a rum & coke with alot of rum.
disarm

Post by disarm »

i voted Team vs. Team, but my position in a lot like zaxxon's. i like all three types and enjoy good teamwork the most, but i also really enjoying blowing the crap out of everyone i see in a good old-fashioned deathmatch. FPS (specifically UT2K4) are my main MP addiction, but i was really heavy into NWN for a while...never took the time to get into much of anything else and RTS has never been a big thrill for me.
Eel Snave

Post by Eel Snave »

I like Co-op, personally.
Downwards Compatible
We're playing every NES game alphabetically! Even the crappy ones! Send help!
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Where would objective based team games like Joint Ops or BF1942 fall? Co-op? I mean it's team v. team but not TDM. But I thought co-op was team v. AI.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
CharlieDelta

Post by CharlieDelta »

LawBeefaroni wrote:Where would objective based team games like Joint Ops or BF1942 fall? Co-op? I mean it's team v. team but not TDM. But I thought co-op was team v. AI.
Adversarial Team vs. Team. That category was pretty much aimed at JO. :) It includes anything objective based where one team of human players is pitted against one or more teams of human players. Co-Op is Team vs. AI, and DM is every man for himself.

[edit: Also of note; These game types aren't specific *only* to shooters. Some RTSes allow co-op or adversarial play, Turn Based and play-by-E-Mail (PBEM) games also generally tend to have a variety of game modes as well]
raydude

Post by raydude »

I prefer team matches because I tend to get annoyed at the chest thumping that comes from deathmatch players. Every once in a while I'll get into the "one man vs. all" mentality of deathmatch but that's usually when I want to blow off some steam for a few minutes.

In team matches I like to stick together with another person, especially if they are going out to capture an objective or to hold one under contension. If we seem to be close to winning then I will usually switch to defense and cover an objective that I know will switch back and forth many times.

It always makes me smile to see someone chest thumping about their kills in a team game, and they're on the LOSING team.