R:TW Mods, what do you use?

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Massena

Post by Massena »

I'm loving the game, despite it's ever more apparent faults. But I'm wondering, what mods do you guys use? Realism, cheat unlock, faction unlock? What mods are out there that work well?
Asharak

Post by Asharak »

None of the above, but I have no idea what else is available.

Maybe if people post some goods ones, I'll try them.

- Ash
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

Yeah, I'm having trouble finding the unlack factions one. My friend has played through almost all the factions so far and he now wants to try the more obscure factions like the Dacians.
Little Raven

Post by Little Raven »

Right now, there are like 10 billion mods floating around. Most are crap. But there is some amazing work going on.

I'm still playing largely vanilla, with some of my own tweaks introduced and the original kill speed mod. I did enable all factions, though.

The realism mod look interesting, but I love my Screeching Women and Headhurlers, so I'm not diving for it just yet.
/. "She climbed backwards out her
\/ window into Outside Over There."
Massena

Post by Massena »

Yeah, that's why I posted this thread. Most of the many mods out there need some serious balancing issues from what I've read. Where did you find the faction unlock?
Little Raven

Post by Little Raven »

I got it here. Works like a charm.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Well I'm a mod, but I haven't picked up R:TW yet, so I don't really know how to answer your question. Call me boring, but plain old toilet paper, I guess.

~Neal
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Massena

Post by Massena »

Sure, but are we talking like a 2 ply a 4 ply or what? And dammit, go get that game. It's very, very good.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Massena wrote:Sure, but are we talking like a 2 ply a 4 ply or what? And dammit, go get that game. It's very, very good.
As many plies as I can fold over, of course. No breakthroughs for me!

And I'm not not getting the game for any good reason. It's not like I'm holed up in my computer room playing a year-old Out of the Park or a fan-created Rise & Rule mod for a game originally released on Oct 30, 2001 or anything. Just got a bit too much going on to pick up R:TW yet.

It'll happen, though.

~Neal
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

I use the two mods that reduce movement speed on the battlefield and the kill rate. I've found these two to be very satisfactory. The battles last long enough to be fun, but not long enough to get boring. They may not be perfect, but I can't find any signficant flaws that hinder my enjoyment.

Grifman
Little Raven

Post by Little Raven »

Grifman wrote:I use the two mods that reduce movement speed on the battlefield and the kill rate. I've found these two to be very satisfactory. The battles last long enough to be fun, but not long enough to get boring. They may not be perfect, but I can't find any signficant flaws that hinder my enjoyment.
I found I had to tweak archer values, because otherwise archers just crushed everything else. But I was using a very early version of the mod. They've probably spiffed it up since then.
Asharak

Post by Asharak »

The Meal wrote:[It's not like I'm holed up in my computer room playing a year-old Out of the Park
Ahem.

You'd better be!

- Ash
Dirt

Post by Dirt »

I'd love to see this engine used for games with guns. Definitely American Civil War. Maybe Napoleon era.
Daveman

Post by Daveman »

I'm playing with two mods. The Rome Total Realism available here:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/index.ph ... opic=14365

(Dang... newer version than what I have!)

and some AI script modifications available here:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/index.ph ... opic=11196

(I don't know if this works with the latest RTR version... it says version 2.2 is required but that's the previous one. There was talk of much of the AI changes being incorporated into the RTR mod altogether, so maybe this seperate mod is moot now?)

I'm loving it! It makes some significant changes to the game... but it's made it much more challenging IMO. I love what they've done with the pre-Marius Roman units... they're all available from the more basic barracks buildings, you just get lesser versions early on. You actually get to USE Triarii, rather than finally get large cities that can build them and then POP! off goes the Marius Event.

They've significantly increased the build time for ships in an effort to curb the AIs obsession with building them and it seems to have helped a lot. They still make more than I do... but the seas aren't choked with ships anymore. Just takes a little getting used to 5 turns to make a Trireme. In my current game as the Scipii, I was anxious to try out the great big Corvus Quinquremes (sp?) (since they're all the silly Neptune temples are good for) and it turns out they take 11 turns to build in this mod! :shock:

Note that the RTR mod makes all factions but the Senate playable as well.