Lord of the Rings: The Third Age

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

freelunch

Lord of the Rings: The Third Age

Post by freelunch »

any impressions of this game yet?

I just got word that my pre-order is shipping today - if retailers have it in Australia I figure it must've already hit the streets in USA...
Fellow

Post by Fellow »

According to EBGames.com, it's shipping on the 2nd here in the States. I'm looking forward to some impressions.

I did just notice that there had been a new review score of the game posted on the Gamerankings site. XboxWorld Magazine UK gave it a 5 ouf ot 10. That's a bit of an ouchie, though I'd love to know why the low score.
freelunch

Post by freelunch »

:shock: hopefully the reviewer wanted it to be something it isn't, or they 'reviewed' beta code (as often used to happen in UK mags) :shock:

I should have my LOTR:TTA (GCN) in 20-24 hours time :D
freelunch

Post by freelunch »

got it. I don't often get to say that first :D

won't get to play 'til later tonight. the GCN version comes on two discs.
JayG

Post by JayG »

5 out of 10? That's pretty bad, especially as Ea normally tend to produce quite decent games. With a bit of luck they are saving themselves for Battle in Middle Earth.

And Andy, try living as a Englich Speaker in Swizerland, you don't tand to contribute to too many first impressions threads unless it's for a game about Cow Bells in the mountains.
freelunch

Post by freelunch »

sounds like a PS2 game so I guess I won't be playing it :P
freelunch

Post by freelunch »

played to the first save point. I'm not a fan of save points but I guess they're still par-for-the-course in console RPGS.

the graphics are nice.

combat control is menu-driven and works well.

I could do with about half the gratuitous film-footage, but I suppose it was inevitable with this being a licensed film product. the new narration from Ian McKellan would have been equally effective without dozens of clips from the three movies.

the game has a co-op two-player option which my kids will love.
Fellow

Post by Fellow »

Well, IGN gave it an 8.5, though I'm really curious about what Gamespot'll end up scoring the game.

Also, thanks for the early impressions.
freelunch

Post by freelunch »

played on a little further - I've just reached Moria and have three members in my party. the manual reveals that my party can grow to six members, but a maximum of three can be involved in any combat.

I'm finding the attempts at adding middle-earth atmosphere through tolkien-ish names for loot items is wearing thin fast, and reading the manual seems to indicate that no hobbits will ever become permanent party members - how can it be Lord Of The Rings without Hobbits??

did I mention that there is way too much gratuitous film footage?

combat is fun and it will be combat that I keep playing for.

I paid AU$62 (mid-price) for the GCN version and since I know my kids will like it I'm happy with it at that price. the X-BOX and PS2 versions carry a RRP of AU$99 and if I'd paid that I'd be feeling a little disappointed right now. as it is I'm looking forward to getting back to it tonight (currently 1:30am - must sleep)

AU$62 = US$46 / AU$99 = US$74
Orpheo

Post by Orpheo »

I should have this from Gamefly in a day or two, but I don't have real high hopes. The game strikes me as a very "focus-group" cheap movie tie-in game, which is a real shame since most of the other LotR games have ben good.
freelunch

Post by freelunch »

I'm having fun with it and my kids will enjoy it, but it has its share of cringe-inducing moments and it won't ultimately change my life.