Unreal Tournament 2004 - Still playing? Why/Why not?

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

My experience with UT2004...

Never played
41%
Played but stopped quickly (not my thing)
7%
Played for awhile, but it's fallen off my radar because I got bored with it
52%

Total votes: 27

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Unreal Tournament 2004 - Still playing? Why/Why not?

Post by Zaxxon »

A few of us UT2004 addicts were discussing the drop in # of players on my server recently--from around 50 addicts back in the Spring, to 10-15 now. That level of dropoff is certainly understandable as the game has aged, but we (as addicts) of course believe that the game is the best thing since sliced bread, and wonder why anyone in their right mind would stop playing.

So, have you played UT2004? If yes, are you still playing? If not, why not? There has recently been a surge in top-notch community-created content, and the game continues to be a blast for us.

Join us!

Or, maybe we're just losers. :ninja:
Austin

Post by Austin »

Never played. Just an FPS right?
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Dangit; you replied before I could fix my poll error, and now I can't. I forgot the 'still playing' and 'stopped to make room for newer games' options. :o

Just an FPS? Don't make me call down the wrath of TML on you. ;)
rrmorton

Post by rrmorton »

I stopped playing because I signed on to your server a couple Friday/Saturday nights in a row and nobody was on. It was fun while it lasted. I could easily be persuaded to drop in again. The game is insanely fun.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

rrmorton wrote:I stopped playing because I signed on to your server a couple Friday/Saturday nights in a row and nobody was on. It was fun while it lasted. I could easily be persuaded to drop in again. The game is insanely fun.
<persuade>

Hop on over to the multiplayer forum and grab the new content, then join us. Things have picked up quite a bit recently, and the server now has a capacity of 12. We've had a bunch of full nights recently.

</persuade>
IHateMorrowind

Post by IHateMorrowind »

I play a lot of singleplayer...basically because I suck at multiplayer. If my 11-year-old daughter can take me to school at this, I have nothing :).
Two Sheds

Post by Two Sheds »

It's not that I got bored with it, it's just that I have very limited gaming time right now and other things (namely Rome) have grabbed my attention.
The Preacher
Forum Moderator

Post by The Preacher »

I dropped off because I like the team games much more than LMS/DM, which seem more popular on your server. (Not that there's anything wrong with that.)
You do not take from this universe. It grants you what it will.
Zekester

Post by Zekester »

I played on your server for awhile there after the game was released, and had an absolute blast with it.

But then some l33t players showed up and took some of the fun out of it for me.

Then I had to move, and lost my broadband connection.

End of story.

Thank you, thank you very much.
Name the 3 branches of the US Government: "Judicial, legislative....I can twerk"
Quaro

Post by Quaro »

Play Wicked VCTF and modified onslaught all the time. Just can't go back to playing normal onslaught without sentinels and translocaters. And the parachutes rock too.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

You forgot "Real life keeps getting in the way", "Not enough gaming time to go around", and the classic, "I'm a dumbass and keep forgetting to go play".
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

The Preacher wrote:I dropped off because I like the team games much more than LMS/DM, which seem more popular on your server. (Not that there's anything wrong with that.)
LMS is played a lot, but so are BR, CTF, and ONS. It pretty much depends on who's on the server; if you're there and you prefer other stuff, other stuff gets played. ;)

IHateMorrowind: we all suck to some degree; you should join us sometime.
Eduardo X

Post by Eduardo X »

My voting option: "Love it but hardly play because there are so many other games" just isn't on there.
This is quite a game, and with the amazing amount of mods out there, it is incredibly replayable.
I probably haven't seen half the levels in the game, and Epic keeps pumping out more. It is some of the most impressive support for a game I've ever seen!
The other cool thing they did was the rebate for 2003 owners. That really made a difference in my decision to buy 2004.
But, Red Orchestra, Alien Swarm, Onslaught, every aspect of this game just screams "play me all the time!"
But, R:TW does much more so, as does Joint Operations.
ohh and here is your rolly eyes you lost em. :roll:
-AttAdude
knob

Post by knob »

I've been getting back into it recently. The reason I don't play on your server, however, is because you guys seem to like DM, Team DM, CTF, and all that.

I don't really care too much for that too much. Occasionally I'll be in the mood for insta-gib, but I'm much more of an Onslaught and occasionally Assault person. I love that gameplay mode.

After randomly deciding to load this game up for the first time in months, I was amazed just how good the game still is. UT2k4 really is quality stuff.

The one thing that gets me is how smooth it runs and how good it looks.
If I had a sig, would you read it?
disarm

Post by disarm »

my name is disarm...and I'M A UT ADDICT!
although i have no place to vote, i'm firmly in addict territory...still logging a couple hours several times a week, and got my 5000th frag a couple nights ago. there have been a couple long stretches where life got in the way of UT, but it's still a blast to play with everyone on zaxxon's server.
The Preacher wrote:I dropped off because I like the team games much more than LMS/DM, which seem more popular on your server.
this has been true for a little while, but i think it's starting to swing back toward team games again. part of the reason we got into so much LMS was a lack of players...it's not as much fun to play team games when you have only 2 humans against a bunch of bots. now that we're getting a better crowd again, we're starting to play a lot more team modes. most of us actually prefer playing CTF, BR, and DDOM if we can get enough people 8)
Creepy_Smell

Post by Creepy_Smell »

I just havent been playing much MP of anything. When I do play MP it is UT2K4 though.

Just been busy with 4 month old so dont get as much gaming as I used to and when I do get the time it just hasnt been MP.
TheMissingLink

Post by TheMissingLink »

I didn't play much after the crazy UT2k4 summer of gaming...took a month off or so...but after I've come back now, I've found it to be more fun then ever. I'd recommend those who haven't played in awhile to fire it up again :)
Member of the GG UT2k4 9000 Frag Club
Member of the GG UT2k4 Triple Digit Suicide Club
TheMissingLink on PSN
SuperHiro

Post by SuperHiro »

Man I am so aching for some ONS/Assault action. Too bad my mic/headset went nuts. IMO, 2v2 ONS (depending on map of course) is pretty fun.

Gotta say though, ILMS is great because it's short and sweet. I can get on, play two games, then it's back to whatever. I generally like Instagib anything, because it compensates for my complete lack of skill. I'm such a spaz when I get into a firefight.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i don't care so much for instagib... i like the tactics of using different weapons (why don't they put the spinny-blade gun back into the game?) and attack-retreat maneuvers.
jonsauce

Post by jonsauce »

I stopped playing because I got my 70 hours out of the game that I wanted and by that time the server also was dying.
If you guys really are getting more than 2 or 3 people on then I'll have to start checking out the server. Playing UT2K4 on Zaxxon's full server was always super fun. Some of the better gaming moments I've ever had.
Now Playing:

WoW (PC)
LotRO (PC)
GH2 (360)
Depward

Post by Depward »

I grabbed a copy, played madly before I had to leave to go home for the summer, and then when I showed up at school in late August the server was pretty much dead. But as of the last two weeks or so, there's been a revival of the server - it's populated nicely *almost* everynight - and I'm having more fun then ever. As a testament, we even had enough interest to do a tourney a couple of days ago. If that doesn't show that there is renewed interest in the server, I don't know what does :P

As far as playing with super good players - it's fun that way. Seriously. I don't mind if I'm getting constantly blasted by, more or less, the top 4 players by frags and time, being TML, Disarm, Red_Fox, and Zaxxon, because they don't show any kind of irrogance or cockiness or anything. They're in it to have fun, which ultimately everyone is as well. And who knows - if you play as much as them and see how they play, you might begin to be as good as them too :D

So, if you can, it would be great to see some new faces along with some old familiar ones again on Zaxxon's server. Take a peek around 6-7 PST or so because that's when games are usually played.
depward on the Playstation Network
CeeKay

Post by CeeKay »

I'll be back, once my PC issues are sorted out. I'm looking forward to trying out the new stuff from the editors choice pack.
CeeKay has left the building. See him exclusively at Gaming Trend!
warning

Post by warning »

Everytime I think I might want to play I realize I'm torrenting something illegal and my bandwith on DSL is the suck.

It's so easy to forget a TV show and torrent it to watch the next day. I really need to get a Tivo.

Anyway, I'll try to get on sometime this week. I'm definitely more interested in the team games.
wankerjr

Post by wankerjr »

Yeah everyone, jump on back. My gaming time is serverely limited since school started back up but when I have time I'll jump on. Still fun stuff after all this time.
Yet another shameless plug..for something
CSL

Post by CSL »

Every night at 9 EST. You guys jump on tonight and we'll have a barn stormer.

On KillBillyBarn :D
Jow

Post by Jow »

UT2004 is a great game, but I'm burned out pretty badly on the FPS genre right now.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Jow wrote:UT2004 is a great game, but I'm burned out pretty badly on the FPS genre right now.
Maybe a great session or two with a bunch of OOers is just what you need to cure yourself. :)

It looks like we're going to have people on the server at 9 EST / 6 PST just about every day this week. As your candidate for President of the United Servers of AmericUT, I urge you all to bust out your copies (buy one if necessary), and join us this week at the appointed times.

And for those of you who already game with us, I urge you to show up and welcome the newbies.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

One other thing I wanted to clarify, for those who are turned off by a perceived overload of Last Man Standing and DM on my server:

Code: Select all

Cumulative Totals for All Players	

Summary	
Game Type	Score	F	K	D	S	TK	Eff.	Avg FPH	Avg TTL	Matches	Hours	
Deathmatch	6625	2362	2977	2977	615	0	45.3%	136.7	17.3	129	17.3	
Capture the Flag	70077	15222	17502	17506	2280	45	46.9%	161.6	17.1	448	94.2	
Bombing Run	22174	7459	8942	8942	1483	33	46.2%	156.5	16.5	154	47.7	
Team Deathmatch	5879	3015	3255	3255	240	1	48.2%	272.4	11.4	100	11.1	
Assault	11392	2424	3038	3684	614	7	41.4%	120.4	16.9	68	20.1	
Onslaught	39837	5942	7132	7253	1190	13	45.8%	56.7	44.7	363	104.8	
Double Domination	23385	6977	7927	7927	950	34	47.2%	320.2	8.8	91	21.8	
Mutant	299	86	142	142	56	0	41.8%	47.1	33.0	17	1.8	
Invasion	15035	7038	7251	559	213	4	90.4%	453.2	72.3	57	15.5	
Last Man Standing	56093	23935	24786	24787	851	0	49.2%	214.1	15.7	1466	111.8	
Classic Domination	309	27	31	31	4	0	47.0%	154.0	17.5	2	0.2	
Totals	251105	74487	82983	77063	8496	137	49.2%	166.9	18.8	2895	446.3
That table is difficult to read here, but you can see the original here. What it tells us is that we play non-DM games more than DM games by a ratio of more than 2:1. When you remove the hours of ILMS tourney play, the ratio moves closer to 3:1. So please don't be turned off to the server just because you're a teamgame fan. :)
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Played on and loved your server Zaxxon. 8) But I've moved on to Joint Ops.

UT is a great game but it's too middle of the road for me. Not a full on twitch shooter, not a tactical shooter but a bit of both.

I might check back in. To be honest, though, if there are more bots than players I won't last long.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Depends on the day and time, LawBeef. On our busier nights it's all or nearly all human players.
Fellow

Post by Fellow »

I used to play once, back in the day, years and years ago.

The night shift pretty much killed that.

...and it sucks.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Fellow, you'll have to come up with a weekend day that you can play, and we'll organize a 'For He's a Jolly Good... Fellow' rally to get players on the server. This much withdrawal is painful for me to watch...
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Still play occasionally, I like Invasion co-op.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Rich in KCK

Post by Rich in KCK »

I went with never played but that isn't really true. I bought the DVD edition because of the hype and a few friends online said they wanted to play it. I don't spend a lot of time playing MP games and I knew I was at least in view of their skill level. We played one time and I had fun but I've never been able to get them to play again, they had already moved on. I guess I don't think I'm good enough to play on Zaxxon's server so I never tried it.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Rich in KCK wrote: I guess I don't think I'm good enough to play on Zaxxon's server so I never tried it.
Well flush that thought right out of your head. We're not the UT Nazis in any way. Some of us are good, many of us are mediocre, and all of us have our share of awful games. None of that matters; we're all there to have fun, we help each other get better, and mainly just enjoy blowing the snot out of each other as often as possible. I can't recall a single instance where someone was ridiculed for not being a good enough player, or anyone complaining seriously that everyone was too good for them. Give us a shot; I think you'll have fun.
PR_GMR

Post by PR_GMR »

I still have it installed on my hard drive... but I stopped playing once City Of Heroes came along and became my 'Summer' (and now, my 'Fall' game). I keep meaning to catch some UT2004 matches... but my gaming time now is unfortunately very limited. :?
SuperHiro

Post by SuperHiro »

Rich in KCK wrote: I guess I don't think I'm good enough to play on Zaxxon's server so I never tried it.
Let me tell you something. I rank #125. I've been playing semi-regularly since May.

I have a grand total of 215 kills. I suck. When I get in a firefight I just hammer on my 'a' and 'd' keys and try to fake the funk by dodging all the time.

I have a ball when I'm on. No one really checks the scores because no one cares. Except when those damn bots start winning.

Damn bots.

Just wondering, is it possible to set up an human v. bot match in ONS or something?
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

SuperHiro wrote:Just wondering, is it possible to set up an human v. bot match in ONS or something?
It's possible, but would require some tweaking to not have the system try to balance the humans across teams. For humans-bots, it's easier to stick to Invasion.

And you're not as bad as you think, man. ;) Give yourself some credit.
Zekester

Post by Zekester »

Fellow wrote:I used to play once, back in the day, years and years ago.

The night shift pretty much killed that.

...and it sucks.
I remember some good matches with you, Fellow.

I used to also go by the name 'Caprice'
Name the 3 branches of the US Government: "Judicial, legislative....I can twerk"
Fellow

Post by Fellow »

Caprice! I remember you. It was like looking at a mirror reflection, movement-wise. Both of us always fell into the same exact, opposite, patterns. Heh.

Zax, yeah, the cravings are there. They never left. I really wish my timeslots were different. I mean, I suppose I could drop by saturday, and sunday nights... But that'd be like, oh, having a slice of the delicious pie, and not being able to finish it all off. In other words, torture.