Unreal Tournament 2004 - Still playing? Why/Why not?

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

My experience with UT2004...

Never played
41%
Played but stopped quickly (not my thing)
7%
Played for awhile, but it's fallen off my radar because I got bored with it
52%

Total votes: 27

RookieCAF

Post by RookieCAF »

I still want to pick it up, but mostly for few mods like Red Orchestra and the like. The setting for the base game for me is kinda meh...
~Rookie
My BF2 Stats
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Fellow - a little is better than none! :)

Rookie - have you played the demo?
RookieCAF

Post by RookieCAF »

Yea, Its a great engine, the setting is not my thing. Its hard for me to immerse myself into something I can't see as reality based.

Could never get into Quake, Doom etc. Always been more of a Ghost Recon/Rainbow Six kinda guy.
~Rookie
My BF2 Stats
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

To each his own, I suppose. :) Though I'd give it a shot; there are some nice mods, including Red Orchestra, a team-based WW2 setting.
RookieCAF

Post by RookieCAF »

There's a couple mods I have seen that look interesting. I do plan on grabbing it when it hits 20 :)
~Rookie
My BF2 Stats
Thin_J

Post by Thin_J »

Just to add into the "Get into the game it's good fun" comments.. I recently managed to play my first game on Zaxxon's server with him and TML and the bunch and it was great fun.
martindemon

Post by martindemon »

The problem is that the single player part of it is cripled compared to UT2003, which means I stopped playing right after I could not even complete the damn space ship part that I HATE so much. And I won't speak about the stupid allied AI compared to the SUPERMAN ennemy AI :evil:
disarm

Post by disarm »

martindemon wrote:The problem is that the single player part of it is cripled compared to UT2003, which means I stopped playing right after I could not even complete the damn space ship part that I HATE so much. And I won't speak about the stupid allied AI compared to the SUPERMAN ennemy AI :evil:
you should come join us for a night and see what you think...and i can guarantee you that you'll not have to worry about that space map. looking back at the server logs, we've only played it 6 times since the game's release...and it's not been touched since june. i think it was pretty much a consensus that the map wasn't much fun. in any case, give us a shot for an evening...new people are always welcome, and everyone has a good time 8)
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Martin, RRmorton, and Rookie, you should consider joining us for our bit UT bash tomorrow night; it'd be a great 'welcome to the server' event. ;)
rrmorton

Post by rrmorton »

I'll try to make it! Either way, I'll be on again at some point soon.
lildrgn

Post by lildrgn »

I may have to join you suckas. I've been on the server once or twice. My MX700 wireless mouse sometimes likes to float on me a bit... go easy!
You complete me.
words
RookieCAF

Post by RookieCAF »

All I have is the demo at the moment, the newest one, dunno if that works or not. And maybe next week, My Squaddies and I have a commitment to help the Airmegs on their Squad Night Friday (Aces High II )
~Rookie
My BF2 Stats
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Sweet, lildrgn and rr. I look forward to fragg.. er, enjoying your company. We generally load up around 9:00 PM EST, but people will probably be on from around 8:00 to 12:00. See you then!
Veloxi

Post by Veloxi »

I still play UT2K4 a few times a week because it's still thrilling. That and all the mods available for it keep me coming back.
bluefugue

Post by bluefugue »

Zax, I will try to get back on your server one of these days. Recently built a new PC and UT2k4 was one of the first things I installed because it's still pretty hard to beat for graphical showoffy goodness. But haven't done much except a few liesurely botmatch DM sessions.

Icetomb is such a purty level. I play that one a lot. Man those are some sweet graphics.

On those individual maps that you download, are the screenshots supposed to go in any folder in the UT2k4 directory? Or are they just there to look at for the heck of it, before you put the map in the folder?
disarm

Post by disarm »

bluefugue wrote:Icetomb is such a purty level. I play that one a lot. Man those are some sweet graphics.

On those individual maps that you download, are the screenshots supposed to go in any folder in the UT2k4 directory? Or are they just there to look at for the heck of it, before you put the map in the folder?
icetomb is definitely a good looking map...one of the fancier ones in the original release. as for the screenshots...those pics (and the txt files) are just there for info purposes. they don't go anywhere special. in fact, you don't have to keep them at all 8)