Cone racing in PGR2: What's the trick?

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

ChaoZ

Cone racing in PGR2: What's the trick?

Post by ChaoZ »

I don't get the cone races.

I can usually pass bronze or silver, but getting golds seem to be an impossiility for me, even with the subcompact cars class. The gold target is 1000+ kudos and I can't get past 700, usually much less.

What's the key here folks?
lildrgn

Post by lildrgn »

I wish I knew. I pull e-brakes in the wider sections and pray that I get some points.

Otherwise, I suck big time.
You complete me.
words
gellar

Post by gellar »

Don't drive fast. Drive for style points. Key is to slide as much as possible and not make any mistakes from checkpoint to checkpoint. The combos will get you into the higher medal categories.
OMGHI2U
"I guess we're all retarded except you Gellar." - Kobra
"I'm already doomed to the seventh level of hell. If you think I wouldn't kill a person of my choosing for $50 mil, you obviously have no clue just how expensive my taste in shoes really is." - setaside
#gonegold brutesquad
rrmorton

Post by rrmorton »

Exactly. The way to win these (and they can be BUH-ROOTAL) is to get high combos by not missing gates. But I'd say don't even drive for style points. Just gun it for the next gate as fast as you can.

Some areas can have very tight time limits from one gate to the next but if you nail those difficult areas (they usually require a perfectly executed slide) you can then sail along racking up combo points for half a lap or more afterwards.

The key is trial and error. You have to run the laps over and over again so you can get comfortable with how to line up for each oncoming cone gate. But once you string together enough gates, gold comes pretty easy.
CharlieDelta

Post by CharlieDelta »

rrmortons got it. It takes practice practice practice. :P After having driven a couple laps, you should have a good idea of where you can "trick" and where you should just flat out speed. The speed portions (usually straightaways just before the finish line) will gain you some time, after that, it's all a matter of stringing together tricks into combos. Learn the fine art of carrying an e-brake drift as far as possible, and find all the areas you can pull off even small drifts, hop curbs for two wheelers etc... and use all of those to help you fill in the gaps between gates. Getting golds is EXTREMELY tough, but generally, if you can get in even one full lap with a complete combo (no break in tricks, the combo carries from your first trick after starting all the way through to the last tick before you pass through the final gate) you're in. Of course, getting that full combo lap is easier said then done. :P Also, bear in mind that different tracks are suited to different kinds of cars, and you may not have the best tool for the job, so to speak. Work ALL the gametypes to get a few of the best cars unlocked in each class. A tight road course with lots of narrow turns wouldn't be well suited to an enzo ferrari. Likewise, a course with lots of lazy curves you can power through and distant gates wouldn't be suited too well to an underpowered subcompact. :P
Jancelot

Post by Jancelot »

Also, do you have Live? Watch some ghost races. I was amazed at some of the stuff the top scores were pulling off.