I of the Dragon

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Ripstar

I of the Dragon

Post by Ripstar »

This is supposed to be out and getting 80+% in reviews.
Anyone tried it yet?
If so whats your take?
Rather hear an opinion from a real gamer.
You can run, but you'll just die tired.
Vinda-Lou

Post by Vinda-Lou »

I'd be interested in hearing anything about this one, too. I enjoyed the dragon flying in Drakan years ago, but I would expect this game would leave Drakan far behind. (I know the two games are quite different than each other).
D.A.Lewis

Post by D.A.Lewis »

I have read about 2 release dates for this game here in the US.

one in mid Nov and the other in Jan 2005.

who knows???
Zekester

Post by Zekester »

There is a demo.
Name the 3 branches of the US Government: "Judicial, legislative....I can twerk"
Ripstar

Post by Ripstar »

EB Games shows it released as of Nov.2,2004.
Maybe just hasn't hit stores yet.
Charlatan

Post by Charlatan »

I'm interested in this one, would someone else please buy it and tell us what they think. I don't wanna be the guinea pig today! :)
When all is said and done, there's more said than done.
Charlatan

Post by Charlatan »

Well I got this one at lunchtime today, since none of you losers would go drop $40 on it! I won't be able to install and play it until tonight but I will dutifully report back with impressions before the weekend is out!

Edit to say: it's rated M so I'm looking forward to some dragon-induced blood -n- guts. I will keep an eye out for that!

Another edit: Lift test failed. Box contents were 1 CD-ROM in plastic case, 1 thin black & white manual with a moderate amount of pictures (4"x6"ish in size). 8.5 pages of skill descriptions in table format, 8.5 pages of NPCs and monster descriptions (with photos) the rest of it is controls and backstory (38 pages total). The manual gets high marks for readability.
slambie

Post by slambie »

I loaded this game up last night and played through the initial "practice session." So far, I'm not impressed. One of the box comments is "Diablo with wings." Yeah, it's Diablo with wings only without the the payoff/balance between kills and cool treasure.

You have 3 dragon types to choose from. I started with the fire breather, fairly easy to play and basically a "fighter/warrior" character type. The opening tutorial is nothing more than a practice session where you fly around killing bugs and bug lairs to get the hang of your natural and magical abilities....that got boring after about 10 minutes. I leveled up, got some skill points to distribute and a couple of new spells.

A guy on a magic carpet shows up periodically with information to guide you along and introduce new game play features as they pop up. The only "treasure" I was able to collect so far are magic stones that float above some of the lairs after I reduced them to ash.

After reaching level 4, my guide appeared to tell me to go to one of the cities and talk to someone there. That's where I left it last night. Apparently you are given missions and/or can build cities and protect them but I haven't gotten to that point yet. The whole purpose of the game/story apprears to be to "rid the land of evil."

The game has surprisingly low system requirements so it was no surprise that the graphics leave a lot to be desired. The camera control is pretty sucky and takes some time to get used to. I did see in the options menu that you can make changes to the camera control, but I haven't touched it yet. You can also remap all the keyboard shortcuts. The interface is fairly intuitive and easy to use - no real issues there.

The biggest problem I saw with the brief introduction I've completed was that the game play/combat is going to get repetitive an old real fast. It just doesn't have the payoff that Diablo did that keeps you wanting to play just a little bit longer before calling it a day. Being a dragon sounds cool, but it doesn't offer much in the way of interest since you can't use cool weapons and armor, it boils down to kill, gain experience, level up, gain skills & spells, rince and repeat.

It might be worth checking out at a bargain bin price but at $40 it's not worth it, IMO.
Rabid moth

Post by Rabid moth »

I haven't played the full version, but I played the beta when I worked at strategy first. I remember it not being not so much as diablo with wings as it is Gauntlet with wings and rpg stats.
Charlatan

Post by Charlatan »

Sure, NOW after I open the box everyone chimes in with impressions! Damn you all! Damn you all to hell you dirty apes!
StormcloudCreations

Post by StormcloudCreations »

Charlatan wrote:Sure, NOW after I open the box everyone chimes in with impressions! Damn you all! Damn you all to hell you dirty apes!
heh...OT: I just got through watching the Planet of the Apes new DVD..real nice transfer, and a cool, thought-provoking movie. If only they hadn't tarnished it with 4 pointless, money-grabbing sequels.
Derek
slambie

Post by slambie »

I spent another hour with this game tonight. I tried to like it, I really did...then I uninstalled it.
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

Well, thanks for your brave and selfless duty, then. Didn't you throw yourself on the mess that was Mistmare (or Valhalla Chronicles) as well?

You shall be rewarded in RPG heaven for such bravery and suffering, I am certain.
So sayeth the wise Alaundo.
Ripstar

Post by Ripstar »

It may not mean much but thanx for taking one for the team, Slambie.
D.A.Lewis

Post by D.A.Lewis »

Mistmare was eventully patched and is now at least stable and playable. With its unique story it may be worth a revist.

Vallhalla Chronicles on the other hand was a stable game but totally lacking in RPG game play. And I mean totally lacking. If I remember correctly you don't even level up you just run around killing things. That too was a game I purchased when there was an RPG drought. When last in the store, I noticed VC was being packaged with some other game.

When I first heard of I of the Dragon, it didn't seem like it was a fully thought out game. Is that what is going on here?
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

Mistmare was eventully patched and is now at least stable and playable. With its unique story it may be worth a revist.
Thanks. I'll pick this one up once it hits a decent price (it's still $20CDN here).
So sayeth the wise Alaundo.
xenocide

Post by xenocide »

I played the demo of I of the Dragon about six months ago and my thoughts were the same as Slambie's, repetitive without any payoff.

Mistmare on the other hand, which I picked up about 6 months ago as well, I found quite enjoyable. It did have some issues, but I still had a good time with it. I played it straight through which is always a good sign.