Gamespot Axis and Allies review (sigh)

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Lorini

Gamespot Axis and Allies review (sigh)

Post by Lorini »

The review is here.

So, the AI just sucks. Well, I was looking forward to playing it, but I guess it's back to Kohan 2.

Lorini
Black Lives Matter
EngineNo9

Post by EngineNo9 »

IGN had a slightly different take. I didn't read the whole thing, but overall they scored it a bit higher and in the final scores he says "the AI is quite a challenge".
ioticus

Post by ioticus »

EngineNo9 wrote:IGN had a slightly different take. I didn't read the whole thing, but overall they scored it a bit higher and in the final scores he says "the AI is quite a challenge".
True, but it said the WW2 mode was weak, which is what I'm most interested in. I wish the reviewer had commented on the strategic AI, but it doesn't sound encouraging given the Gamespot review. It sounds to me like the WW2 mode was hastily slapped together without much thought, perhaps in an attempt to appease fans of the board game. Having played Rise of Nations Conquer the World campaign, A&A WW2 appears weak in comparison.
Rabid moth

Post by Rabid moth »

From my experience with the demo, the A.I is pretty damn awful. I like the game mechanics a lot but the skirmish AI is just bad...
ioticus

Post by ioticus »

Rabid moth wrote:From my experience with the demo, the A.I is pretty damn awful. I like the game mechanics a lot but the skirmish AI is just bad...
Which is very surprising given how good the AI is in the Kohan games. In fact, I think the AI in Kohan is probably the best in the business.
D'Arcy

Post by D'Arcy »

My impression from the demo was that a Conscription/Conscript/Carpet Bombing rush is completely unbeatable. That review confirmed my suspicions.

I guess the AI fails because it tries to play A&A as if it were Kohan. It tries a balanced approach, but the mechanics favour infantry rushing.
Head

Post by Head »

I might give it a try. I would love to have Steel Panthers game play with these graphics though.
Elaine: Oh, hey, listen, by the way, have you seen a tall... lanky...
doofus, with a, with a bird-face and hair like the Bride of
Frankenstein?
Usher: Haven't seen him.