FlatOut demo available (crash-racing by Rally Trophy guys)

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

EngineNo9

FlatOut demo available (crash-racing by Rally Trophy guys)

Post by EngineNo9 »

Muscle-car crash-racing with crazy physics goodness and minigames from the makers of Rally Trophy? IN! (oh, and it's coming for the consoles, also)

Probably best to head over to someplace like this post at Blue's News for the list of available mirrors, or just check the regular suspects.

Time to get your motors running, boys!

(yes this is a cross post this one from Console Gold, but I'm allowed since I'm so excited about it!)

How about a couple teaser images :D

CSL

Post by CSL »

Downloaded and played it for awhile. Pretty fun for a console port. I like the damage physics on the cars but why does my driver insist on not wearing a seatbelt and being thrown hundreds of yards from the vehicle whenever I hit something?
KingB

Post by KingB »

I DL the demo today at work and played a bit during a break. It was fun and physics are great.

I especially like the part where you see just how far you can launch your driver out of the car and see how many points you can get. This game should be pretty good.
Currently thinking of something clever.........
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

this was pretty fun... which reminds me; a game very much like Carmageddon 2 should be made with an engine like this.
JayG

Post by JayG »

There was a review of this on Eurogamer. Got 8/10 , which is the same score they game Halo, and state 'Xbox Live is supported as well, letting eight of you duke it out online. It just tops off an excellent package. Honestly, Flatout is a hairbreadth away from a 9, and legendary status. There’s just a tiny something lacking.'

Sounds like a game worth picking up.
akerr

Post by akerr »

Tried this demo the other night too and I thought it was pretty good.

The only bad thing to me was how unforgiving the races were. Hit one thing or go off the track and your screwed. No chance of catching up at all. It didn’t seem like the AI drivers made many mistakes. Hopefully the full game will be more forgiving for a sucky driver like me.
Eduardo X

Post by Eduardo X »

Wow, that's fun!
I was horrible at the dirt track race, but great at the asphalt one.
The arena for the high jump track just screams "look at all this neat other stuff you can do!"
My highest jump so far has been about 87 Meters. Anyone else?
ohh and here is your rolly eyes you lost em. :roll:
-AttAdude
Kaigen

Post by Kaigen »

akerr wrote:Tried this demo the other night too and I thought it was pretty good.

The only bad thing to me was how unforgiving the races were. Hit one thing or go off the track and your screwed. No chance of catching up at all. It didn’t seem like the AI drivers made many mistakes. Hopefully the full game will be more forgiving for a sucky driver like me.
I wouldn't go that far, but yeah, one serious mistake can put you back hard. I frequently saw the AI drivers make mistakes though. They never use shortcuts though, so you can use that to your advantage.

I noticed the occasional physics glitch that kind of bugged me. Usually there was nothing serious, but there was one incident where hitting a traffic cone sent me flying and flipping through the air.

I was never able to beat the dirt track race. Second place was the best I could manage, and that was just barely. But whatever place I managed, the replays were always fun to watch. :D
End of line.
Brian

Post by Brian »

Highest Jump: 112.24 Meters
Highetst Total: 303.08 Meters

Haven't tried any of the races yet cuz this computer at work is slow and crappy.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln