Anybody tried "Virtual Skipper 3"?

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Giles Habibula

Anybody tried "Virtual Skipper 3"?

Post by Giles Habibula »

I've always been a sucker for these fringe/cult/niche titles. Saw this one at Gamestop the other day and vowed to buy it on payday. Well, yesterday was payday, and still I hesitated.

I looked up a bunch of reviews and everyone seemed to either love it or like it. I found very little that was 'bad'. Still, reading between the lines, I wondered how much fun I'd actually have with it. I'm sure I'd do a little racing, but I'd be mostly interested in the relaxation aspect; just sailing around and seeing the sights.

But is there any of this? How big an area do you get to explore, or is it just one relatively small space you're confined to. I don't need a whole lot to do. Just mainly interested in sailing around and exploring.

Also, I've read that the editor is kinda lame in that it won't let you create your own landscapes...only lay out race courses? I'd really like to go nuts and make a huge area with lots of sights to see and then share it with others to explore at their leisure.

In other words, I'm still on the fence here.
"I've been fighting with reality for over thirty-five years, and I'm happy to say that I finally won out over it." -- Elwood P. Dowd
Zekester

Post by Zekester »

I think there's a demo for it, and from what I can remember it wasn't what I was hoping it would be.

Make sure to try that demo before buying.
Name the 3 branches of the US Government: "Judicial, legislative....I can twerk"
Giles Habibula

Post by Giles Habibula »

Zekester wrote:I think there's a demo for it, and from what I can remember it wasn't what I was hoping it would be.

Make sure to try that demo before buying.
Damn, Zeke. You posted about 4 hours too late. :)
I was at the mall earlier and since they had only the display copy left and it was the only copy in town, I grabbed it, since I had an urge to play a relaxing sim tonight to take my mind off things.

Of course, now that the night is upon me, here I am dinking around on the forums while the sim sits on my desk waiting for me to get in the right mood. This happens all the time and is one of the reasons over 80% of my games have never been played.

I get in strange moods on my days off and get these actual cravings for certain types of games. And sometimes those cravings just pass on by.

For instance, a long time ago I grabbed "Fair Strike", a helicopter sim for $10 because I thought I was in a helicopter sim mood that day. I didn't touch it that day. However, last weekend the mood hit me again, so I loaded it up and proceeded to have a wonderful time with it, to my great surprise. "Fair Strike" turned out to be a very cool diversion. Not a hard core sim or anything, but just a lot of fun. I recommend it if you don't already have it.

Wow. I just derailed the hell out of this thread.
"I've been fighting with reality for over thirty-five years, and I'm happy to say that I finally won out over it." -- Elwood P. Dowd
Eduardo X

Post by Eduardo X »

That game, as all Digital Jesters games, has starforce on it.
I know because one of my favorite games of the year, Track Mania, has it and is made by them.
It was a sad, sad day when I took Track Mania off my computer due to Starforce. However, I like burning my CDs, and I like having my CD drives read my discs.
ohh and here is your rolly eyes you lost em. :roll:
-AttAdude
Zekester

Post by Zekester »

Hmm, Starforce?

I thought the 'smaller' companies wouldn't use it :?: :x

Mark,
post your impressions of the game when you do get around to trying it.

...and it looks like i'll have to try Fair Strike now :shock:
Thanks alot! :wink:
Name the 3 branches of the US Government: "Judicial, legislative....I can twerk"
Eduardo X

Post by Eduardo X »

Zekester wrote:Hmm, Starforce?

I thought the 'smaller' companies wouldn't use it :?: :x

Mark,
post your impressions of the game when you do get around to trying it.

...and it looks like i'll have to try Fair Strike now :shock:
Thanks alot! :wink:
What I think is the worst thing about Starforce is that it is mostly exlusively the small companies using it.
It means the cracks come out for the game a little later than most big title games, because these smaller companies can't afford the pirating as much as EA or Vivendi.
However, this also means that the small games are unplayable for quite a lot of people, and that the companies have to contend with the Starforce Boycott.
-AttAdude
Lee

Post by Lee »

Woohoo...Now I have to buy this game just so I can support every game that has Starforce to help throw off the GG/CG/OO boycott.
For motivation and so Jeff V can make me look bad:
2010 Totals: Biking: 65 miles Running: 393 miles
2009 Finals: Biking: 93 miles Running: 158 miles (I know it sucked, but I had a hernia most of the year)
Eduardo X

Post by Eduardo X »

Lee wrote:Woohoo...Now I have to buy this game just so I can support every game that has Starforce to help throw off the GG/CG/OO boycott.
Hope you have fun!
Don't forget to buy Beyond Divinity, Chaos League, and Track Mania while you're at it.
-AttAdude