Grimoire

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

DD*

Re: Grimoire

Post by DD* »

Just checking in... The Grimoire Systems page has been cleverly disguised as a Go Daddy parking page. Cleve probably did that to keep the lesser types out.

I'm sure the release event will be announced soon!
Are you a prostitute Rip? Because you blow the margins more than a $5 hooker. -rshetts2

Much like bravery is acting in spite of fear, being a functioning adult is acting responsibly in the face of temptation. -Isg
Suitably Ironic Moniker

Post by Suitably Ironic Moniker »

When I was a boy, I laid in my twin-sized bed and wondered where my brother was. - Mitch Hedberg
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

Still gotta say I'm willing to give it a chance. Not gonna buy it, but hopefully people don't crap all over it just because of Cleve (they will). Although I'd probably do the same to he-who-shall-not-be-named of Battlecruiser fame. I just never kept up with Cleve's very long and odd story.

--ed OK screw that, considering this gem he posted:
There are still going to be parts of the game that are not quite polished but the game as it currently stands is truly a one-of-a-kind classic.
20 Fucking Years. This thing should be making ME money if I buy it!
There is no hug button. Sad!
MindToyGames

Post by MindToyGames »

Not to mention: $40 price tag? Really? There are actual AA and AAA games that people barely want to spend $40 on, and Cleve thinks this is the right price, and he's admitted it isn't fully polished to boot? At this price...can't wait for the reviews.
Derek - Wayward Indie Game Designer/Doer of Many Things/CEO, SimProse Studios
My Steam Developer Clubhouse: https://store.steampowered.com/developer/simprose
KDH

Post by KDH »

he's lucky he just sneaked in, under the Greenlight-era wire (fitting, for a survivalist, eh?)

of course, Valve pretty much OK'd everything left in the queue, rather than actually look at it .. but he can claim the unwashed masses voted for it
Ain't nobody got time for that
Giles Habibula

Post by Giles Habibula »

Is anyone really surprised?
JULY 7 - GOLDEN ERA GAMES
Bloodshot eyeballs inflamed to 8x normal size, mucus from nose pooling on floor around chair, been doing 20 hour days with nothing but expired beef jerky to keep me from starving to death. My wife has brought a bedpan into my study and placed it under my chair like that episode of South Park so I no longer have to break to go to the bathroom.

Almost ... there ... just need to test that last issue number #10209373739829 to make sure it is still fixed after changing item #0928434923098 to match up with issue #9042353290215.

Game looks so utterly beautiful that tears are mixing with the mascara as they run down my cheeks. I ... never ... dreamed ... my game would finally look this good.

Will be working all day to complete, as soon as I have verified remaining areas that underwent some editing I will begin building deployment packages.

One last minute change I am introducing is versioning for the savegames and side-by-side execution of updates so any future patches of Grimoire will NOT break any savegames out there. Obviously nobody wants to start their 600 hours of play over just because I added romancing and bread baking interfaces. So once saved your savegame will be legal until you complete that game. You may not see new additions to the map but your current game will always be completable after you have started it.

Sorry but I am just one guy and normally during this crunch time on any software project you have more than one person to help you when the going gets tough. It's all on me and it only gets fixed because I fix it, I can't delegate that bug to a team member.

Almost there. Game is looking ABSOLUTELY UNBELIEVABLE. As soon as it is ready will post deployable package to Steam for approval.
"I've been fighting with reality for over thirty-five years, and I'm happy to say that I finally won out over it." -- Elwood P. Dowd
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Odds that he didn't just shit the bedpan? High.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Update at T-Minus 2 days.
just realized that I need to add the ability of movement for characters to the game. Delay only expected to last 3 years..
Covfefe!
morlac

Post by morlac »

Holy shit!

It's out.
DD*

Post by DD* »

morlac wrote:Holy shit!

It's out.
I was just coming here to post this! Who's going to take the $39.99 plunge!?!?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Are you a prostitute Rip? Because you blow the margins more than a $5 hooker. -rshetts2

Much like bravery is acting in spite of fear, being a functioning adult is acting responsibly in the face of temptation. -Isg
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

<shakes head, slowly backs away>
-mf
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

FYI: Early reports on the Steam forum suggest there are some minor bugs. For example, clicking on the portrait of your party's first character crashes the game. But I'm sure Cleve will have these all fixed promptly within the next 15 years.
Black Lives Matter
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

DD* wrote:

It's out.

It's 10% off already. So for a mere $36 you can see what took so long.......
He/Him/His/Porcupine
morlac

Post by morlac »

DD* wrote:

It's out.

I took it!!! I plunged!

20 mins of play no crashes for me. It's quirky for sure and alt hand weapons seem bugged..still. I'll play another 1.5 hours and report back tonight. Leaning towards refund already. Somehow it needs a little more baking.
Greybriar

Post by Greybriar »

stimpy wrote:Holy shit!

Steam link
The education of a man is never completed until he dies. --Robert E. Lee
morlac

Post by morlac »

morlac wrote:

I took it!!! I plunged!

20 mins of play no crashes for me. It's quirky for sure and alt hand weapons seem bugged..still. I'll play another 1.5 hours and report back tonight. Leaning towards refund already. Somehow it needs a little more baking.

I posted my alt hand issue in a polite way on Steam forum and Cleve responded quickly...

"Alt hand is used when situation permits. It is a combination of enemy response, current attack and multiple attack options. At very early levels your characters will use Alt hand irregularly but you will notice it's a very effective attack added on to their primary."

it's a FEATURE!

edit to add my response:

Interesting. So no way to "force" it? If only there was something that contained this kind of info I could reference. :).

What about the random hand swap? That seems like a glitch?

I think me and Cleve may become friends. I sent an invite, we shall see.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

Good lord, it's out. It really is The End of Days.
"This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it." - EUIV Steam user review
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

morlac wrote:I think me and Cleve may become friends. I sent an invite, we shall see.
:wub:

I literally LOLed at your closing line. Please do not return and keep us informed!
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
morlac

Post by morlac »

Oh boy. Grab it quick he sampled sound from Monty Python Holy Grail for the "run away/flee" sound. "Run away, run away". Tell me that is public domain or maybe one of those bulk sound effects you can purchase?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FPELc1wEvk

He is also furiously deleting post and threads, including ones asking about the above.
morlac

Post by morlac »

40 minutes in....the story thus far.

I went with the premade class to get my hands dirty quick. Also, there's no manual so who the hell knows what does what. He literally turned the stats up to "11". Madness!

After quickly renaming the human Bezerker Cleve our brave party of 8 ventured forth....

Some quick exploring and we had our first encounter! ?Worms? Possibly scrotum worms based on their look but my attempts to confirm via the identify skill failed. No worries as they were easily dispatched. I had everyone just melee them as they were worms....shaped like scrotums. Onward ho! There is a starter dungeon somewhere around here and that is what we were looking for. After another random band of Scrtoum Worms get dispatched we stumbled upon a small Obelisk. It said something something Neanderthals placed it here blah blah. Well save the extensive lore for a "real" play through. Up ahead my band of 8 spotted a chest! Alas, we were waylayed by ?Plant? right before we got there. Cleve took him out in one swing! After examining the chest and the very descriptive flavor text I tried to disarm it. No idea how but figured it out maybe? I failed and we took a red pepper blast to the face. Not sure of it's effect but we took no damage + I got loots now. Chest was full of goodies. Lots of ?Potions? and ?scrolls?. The was an ?Axe? and bullwhip that did not need identifying. But most curiously was a ?rock? What secrets did it hold? Would I be able to identify it? Stay tuned for the next installment!

---40 mins played not a single crash or bug. It' clunky and really needs a manual but certainly playable thus far. I do have a high threshold for old school painful games but there seems to be some mad genius to it and I am compelled to continue. Beyond the refund limit? we shall see.

p.s. Me and Cleve are now steam friends. I just knew it!
KDH

Post by KDH »

:text-worthless:
Ain't nobody got time for that
morlac

Post by morlac »

KDH wrote::text-worthless:

I hear ya but I'm in a hurry! I gotta head to airport. I'll try and add some to first part and then add them moving forward. I got a short window for maybe another half hour of play before a 4:30 pm meeting. Otherwise it will be tonight :(.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

morlac wrote:Somehow it needs a little more baking.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That got me laughing.
tgb

Post by tgb »

stimpy wrote:
In fairness, a 10% discount on launch day is fairly common.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

So far all of your game play descriptions sound like Wizardry VII.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

There are youtubes of game play available. I watched a guy struggle with it for about 10 minutes and turned it off.
Black Lives Matter
Mr. Fed

Post by Mr. Fed »

It's ridiculous that I'm tempted. But I love old-school games.

Is it FUN?
Popehat, a blog.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Wow, I just now saw this thread. I have to wonder what he was referring to when he called it beautiful?

I love CRPG's, and am a big fan of the Might and Magic/Wizardry style CRPG's, so this should be right up my alley. Honestly though, it looks TERRIBLE. Even for retro graphics, and dare I say, even for 2004? :D
morlac

Post by morlac »

Archinerd wrote:So far all of your game play descriptions sound like Wizardry VII.
Indeed, plays like it to. Better ui for the most part and automaping. It's more complicated thus far to.
Last edited by morlac on Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
morlac

Post by morlac »

Mr. Fed wrote:It's ridiculous that I'm tempted. But I love old-school games.

Is it FUN?
It's oddly compelling so far. I'll know more when I play 1.95 hours. At $20 and if you can handle old school it's probably a no brainer. 40. May want to wait to see how quick he patches. I'll report back later after more play.

Edit: damn first patch out.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Archinerd wrote:So far all of your game play descriptions sound like Wizardry VII.
Wasn't this whole project meant to spit in the eye of Bob Sirotek? Is Bob even still alive to receive his comeuppance so long in the works? Steve Bauman too...his arch-enemy. I lost track of him when Computer Games Magazine went tits-up.
Black Lives Matter
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Carpet_pissr wrote:Even for retro graphics, and dare I say, even for 2004? :D
But how about for 1997?
Black Lives Matter
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Carpet_pissr wrote:Wow, I just now saw this thread. I have to wonder what he was referring to when he called it beautiful?

I love CRPG's, and am a big fan of the Might and Magic/Wizardry style CRPG's, so this should be right up my alley. Honestly though, it looks TERRIBLE. Even for retro graphics, and dare I say, even for 2004? :D
Beautiful? Perhaps not, but I have to admit there is something charming about the graphics.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

Jeff V wrote:Wasn't this whole project meant to spit in the eye of Bob Sirotek?
Yeah, I think the point to prove was that Cleve could make a much better Wizardry than they ever could. I believe Cleve was an employee at one time.

Based on what I've seen so far, this seems to be more like Wizardry 7 on steroids than anything else. To tell you the truth, as long as the launch issues get patched, it's something I'd like to play one day. I love me some Wizardry. But not at $40, good lord. As far as the graphics go, I think they're perfectly fine for this kind of game. Kind of gives me that old Wizardry and Might & Magic vibe. Kind of cool, really.
"This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it." - EUIV Steam user review
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

I am interested but there is no way in hell I'll pay $40 for this. Maybe $20 but even that feels like a bit of a stretch.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
morlac

Post by morlac »

rshetts2 wrote:I am interested but there is no way in hell I'll pay $40 for this. Maybe $20 but even that feels like a bit of a stretch.
If it's good it's worth it. They don't make games like this anymore. Maybe that's a good thing de pending on your view? Just think of it like a rare never released sequel to Wiz 7 that just got unearthed. What would that be worth to play? Of course this is all hengent on it playing well.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

morlac wrote:
rshetts2 wrote:I am interested but there is no way in hell I'll pay $40 for this. Maybe $20 but even that feels like a bit of a stretch.
If it's good it's worth it. They don't make games like this anymore. Maybe that's a good thing de pending on your view? Just think of it like a rare never released sequel to Wiz 7 that just got unearthed. What would that be worth to play? Of course this is all hengent on it playing well.
I am sure that this is great for some but for me, not so much. 15 years ago maybe but I am not willing pay $40 for a game that was dated when it started, not even for the nostalgia. If I want nostalgia, Ill save my money for a SNES Classic and get 20 plus games of nostalgia. I can wait for the price to drop on Grimoire, even if it is a good game.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

rshetts2 wrote:I can wait for the price to drop on Grimoire, even if it is a good game.
Just for what it's worth, Cleve has stated that the 10% launch discount is the only sale the game will ever have. After this it will be full price forever more. He does not really care about selling his game to the unwashed masses.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Cleve has started on the Steam forums that he will never drop the price again after the initial discount. Of course, Cleve says a lot of things...
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Sounds like he's painted a big ol' pirate me target on his game.

Good luck!