Grimoire

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Jag

Re: Grimoire

Post by Jag »

Elimage was confusing as hell. Much more a Japanese based RPG than a western one. I may have to see if I can get back into it.

The Grimrock's were decent as was Lords of Xulima and Fall of the Dungeon Guardians.

Just finished Ruzar- The Life Stone too.

Enlarge Image
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Oooh, that looks good, too. How was it? I consider the Grimrocks probably the best of the modern 1 party CRPG's.

Have not tried Eliminage yet, myself, but it's on my wishlist. Now I may not (and reviews are not great either).
Jag

Post by Jag »

Carpet_pissr wrote:Oooh, that looks good, too. How was it? I consider the Grimrocks probably the best of the modern 1 party CRPG's.
Wasn't party based, but short and fun. Picked it up on a sale and it was fine for what it was. Grimrock and MM-X are definitely the best so far.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

I did not write RPS's Article on Grimoire, but it echoes everything I said, down to the being killed by bugs a few minutes in.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/0 ... ore-467847
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

baelthazar wrote:it echoes everything I said, down to the being killed by bugs a few minutes in.
Looking at your screenshots, it appears that you chose to start in the Eerie Wastes, which I think is one of the hardest starting locations. One of the starting locations is supposed to be much, much easier than the rest of them so it would probably have been best to pick that one. I think most people don't realize you can set where you start the game in the configuration.
"This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it." - EUIV Steam user review
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

ColdSteel wrote:
baelthazar wrote:it echoes everything I said, down to the being killed by bugs a few minutes in.
Looking at your screenshots, it appears that you chose to start in the Eerie Wastes, which I think is one of the hardest starting locations. One of the starting locations is supposed to be much, much easier than the rest of them so it would probably have been best to pick that one. I think most people don't realize you can set where you start the game in the configuration.
Oh, I noticed this, but Eerie Wastes is the default location and - lacking ANY feedback or knowledge - I figured it was the normal starting location.
Suitably Ironic Moniker

Post by Suitably Ironic Moniker »

I really want to play this game successfully, which is why I'm giving it six months for it to be patched up somewhat, and also for there to be more on-line documentation (including the manual, hopefully, but that might be another 20 ;) ).
When I was a boy, I laid in my twin-sized bed and wondered where my brother was. - Mitch Hedberg
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

In case anyone was waiting for a sale:
“I have decided it is just a nice thing to do for people who have been waiting years to play my game if I offered a 10% discount on the game during it’s first week. After this ends, I want to assure anyone waiting for the game that Grimoire will never, ever sell at a discount at any time it is on the Steam store ever again. I won’t permit it to be sold below it’s retail value for any reason. I am too proud of my finished product to permit it to be turned into simply another commodity in a Steam sale.”
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Malacheye

Post by Malacheye »

I just rolled a new party last night and began the journey this morning. Finished starter dungeon and some forest wandering, got an NPC (Rosy) to join my party and will start Aquavia soon. Played about an hour and no bugs or crashes on the current build.

My party was rolled with the intent to switch all classes at level 10. I tried to roll highest possible numbers (without spending hours to get a "30" or higher, I think all were rolls of 26-29 using 4d8) and save the points to add to attributes, for the difficult requirements needed to switch to the elite classes.

Giant Warrior-->Pirate
Dwarven Metalsmith-->Berserker
Naga Thief-->Assassin
Aeorb Sage-->Jester
Fey Wizard--> Necromancer
Durendil Bard--> Jester
Human Cleric-->Templar

One slot open for NPC's

If some patch or bug screws this one up, I may put it away for a month to see what happens. Lots of newbie guides and early area help now to get started, so the need for a manual is not so great as it was last week.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Smoove_B wrote:In case anyone was waiting for a sale:
“I have decided it is just a nice thing to do for people who have been waiting years to play my game if I offered a 10% discount on the game during it’s first week. After this ends, I want to assure anyone waiting for the game that Grimoire will never, ever sell at a discount at any time it is on the Steam store ever again. I won’t permit it to be sold below it’s retail value for any reason. I am too proud of my finished product to permit it to be turned into simply another commodity in a Steam sale.”
I was willing to look past all of the bullshit surrounding this game, but if he holds true to that way of thinking, especially given the totally borked launch, fuck em.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

stimpy wrote:but if he holds true to that way of thinking
The thing about Cleve is, you just never know. He's said he's going to do something and then not done it so many times now it's crazy. He could put the game on sale at 50% off in the next big Steam sale and I wouldn't be surprised at all. Then again, he could never put it on sale again and I wouldn't be surprised. You just never know with him. There are certainly some devs out there, like the Rim World dev, that never, ever put their games on sale.
"This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it." - EUIV Steam user review
Suitably Ironic Moniker

I don't see anything wrong with that. It's not as if he is going to get rich off of this game, and this is how he values it.
When I was a boy, I laid in my twin-sized bed and wondered where my brother was. - Mitch Hedberg
Zarathud

Grimoire

Post by Zarathud »

Its not like the game will be less valuable because the graphics and design has become dated. Cleve is past that Rubicon.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Suitably Ironic Moniker wrote:I don't see anything wrong with that. It's not as if he is going to get rich off of this game, and this is how he values it.
Just like a book that increases in value because it had a small 1st edition printing and is now rare, perhaps he thinks his bits will likewise increase. :roll:
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Zarathud wrote:Its not like the game will be less valuable because the graphics and design has become dated. Cleve is past that Rubicon.
Perhaps he took the pricing class at the HPS School of Game Design.
Black Lives Matter
Suitably Ironic Moniker

Jeff V wrote:
Suitably Ironic Moniker wrote:I don't see anything wrong with that. It's not as if he is going to get rich off of this game, and this is how he values it.
Just like a book that increases in value because it had a small 1st edition printing and is now rare, perhaps he thinks his bits will likewise increase. :roll:
It also provides an easy excuse for those who are on the fence, but know deep down inside that they probably will never even dent the surface of this impenetrable slog (me being the exception that proves the rule).
morlac

Post by morlac »

Suitably Ironic Moniker wrote:
Jeff V wrote:
It also provides an easy excuse for those who are on the fence, but know deep down inside that they probably will never even dent the surface of this impenetrable slog (me being the exception that proves the rule).
He has indicated exactly this as the price reasoning. He figures if he price is set high enough to scare of the more "casual" fans that it will cut down on the complaints/bad reviews/etc by those who are less lenient on what is a labor of love throwback to Wiz 7. Not a bad philosophy for this type of game.
Buatha

Post by Buatha »

I'll admit, I'm curious, but I don't like the idea of a game claiming 600 hours still having the possibility of incompatible saves.
"Some people say never...I just say no"
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

To be fair, he's gotten the save issues squared away.
Malacheye

Post by Malacheye »

ColdSteel wrote:To be fair, he's gotten the save issues squared away.

Yes, 2 1/2 days without a crash or issue...I am the farthest I have been in this game and the wife is getting pissed.
Buatha

Post by Buatha »

Is there a story or is it just random adventures within the world? I keep hearing there isn't much of a story, but that would just mean there is no overall narrative and it's just footloose and fancy free with whatever is over the next hill?
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

Buatha wrote:...a game claiming 600 hours...
Most of that time is spent clicking through obtuse menus. :(
Jesus said, "Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body."[Matt 10:28] God can totally destroy us.

Jesus also said, "For my Father's will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day.”[John 6:40] Eternal life is conditional.

His disciple John wrote, "Whoever has the Son has eternal life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have eternal life. [1 John 5:12] Eternal life is optional.
Buatha

Post by Buatha »

For those who may still be morbidly curious about Grimoire, it's now listed at $20.

I remember him saying he would never lower the price...but I guess never is now!
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Not a "sale", it's just a lower retail value.
DD*

Post by DD* »

Buatha wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:17 pm Image

For those who may still be morbidly curious about Grimoire, it's now listed at $20.

I remember him saying he would never lower the price...but I guess never is now!

LOL, I definitely remember words to that effect and thought, "sure, that's never going to happen..."
Are you a prostitute Rip? Because you blow the margins more than a $5 hooker. -rshetts2

Much like bravery is acting in spite of fear, being a functioning adult is acting responsibly in the face of temptation. -Isg
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

He said the original wouldn't ever be cheaper - he's maintained that promise. What is cheaper is "Version 2" of Grimoire. Enjoy it.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
DD*

Post by DD* »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:10 pm He said the original wouldn't ever be cheaper - he's maintained that promise. What is cheaper is "Version 2" of Grimoire. Enjoy it.
Oh, well, that explains it then. :)
Are you a prostitute Rip? Because you blow the margins more than a $5 hooker. -rshetts2

Much like bravery is acting in spite of fear, being a functioning adult is acting responsibly in the face of temptation. -Isg
Buatha

Post by Buatha »

I pulled the trigger and will give it a go once his V2 + inevitable hotfix patch is ready using this handy guide someone created.
morlac

Post by morlac »

I got 15ish or so hours in it last year on the "launch" version. There is a lot to like if you enjoyed Wizardry style game as It is certainly a spiritual successor and has this odd quirky charm to it. There is also a lot to hate if you played a game with a UI that was designed in the last 20 years. Some of that was patched a bit better but it was still a slog. V2 promises to fix some of that (screenshots support this theory), while also completing/tweaking systems that never worked (crafting, a spiritual system that is like a fear meter that can build up, etc.). In addition there is more game balancing promised, new content, etc. Earlier in this thread I mentioned every thing is turned up to 11, V2 seems to continue this trend. Example: in a fight you have to manage HP, Magic/mana, Stamina and now spirit (fear) for all EIGHT 8! characters in your party. I am kind of looking forward to trying it again if/when v 2 comes out as it should be finally be "complete" ;)

p.s. Cleve and I are still Steam friends and I got a new copy after my refund :mrgreen:
morlac

Post by morlac »

Buatha wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:13 pm I pulled the trigger and will give it a go once his V2 + inevitable hotfix patch is ready using this handy guide someone created.
That guide is fairly outdated but maybe a decent crash course. There are now in game tool tips over abilities and skills that make things a little less head scratching. Rolling characters has been tweaked to allow for higher rolls and ability to start as advanced classes (not all of them and be prepared to reroll and reroll and reroll). I am no expert but know enough to be dangerous so feel free to ask away.
Buatha

Post by Buatha »

Thanks, man. The one thing that would help is party make-up. I don't have a lot of free time to try out combinations of parties, so when I play a party-based game, I usually try to find someone who is doing well enough to use their race/class combinations since I'm way less likely to restart games once I'm far into them. If I find out that I'm gimped 15+ hours into a game, that's almost a death knell for it.

The only oddities I heard were Drow have terrible mana as well as Humans, but that was a while ago.
morlac

Post by morlac »

Ok, let's talk party build....

Things to keep in mind:

All 8 slots can melee but the first two slots (going left to right not up and down)generally get hit the most with melee. This has been/needs to be tweaked via a patch. I tested and the #1 slot character got hit exclusively in roughly 50 straight rounds of combat. Supposedly Cleve is tweaking the attack AI to go after more targets of opportunity for V2. We shall see.

Spells always go at the end of combat rounds. Healing, attacks, buffs, etc. Speed only effects melee not casting.

You can min max the crap out of this game if you want with rapid class swaps and save scumming on level ups. They are unlimited as long as min attributes are meet. Stats, hp, magic are completely random on level up. Old school style! I don't bother because it is a rabbit hole I never get out of.

Here's how I go:

I like to fill all 8 slots. If I really need an NPC to join, I can kick one to the curb and have them rejoin later.

I go melee in first 4 slots
Fighter x 1 or 2 (typical fighter, less damage than zerker due to no lethal blow)
Zerker x 1 or 2 (lethal blow is best melee skill in game and they get it first)
Assassin (you can roll one at start now if patient) (lethal blow + thief skills)

Other options:
Ranger
Metalsmith (V2 promises to finally make this class more viable) they do get spells and lethal blow eventually)

Back 4:
Cleric (Must have, everyone likes healing, becomes more necessary later as they get they better heals than other classes can)
Sage Borderline must have. So many critical utility spells (detect secret needs to be running almost permanently) plus charm is close to game breaking at beginning of game.
Bard not a must have anymore since singing/instruments got nerfed but still fun imo. be patient as the song skills suck at first and never land.
Insert caster here: I'm partial to Thaumaturage (like a Druid sorta) Wizard is fine or Necro but I have little exp with them.

Really just pick 1 fighter, 1 zerk, a sage, cleric and then fill in the gaps as you see fit.

Races: I'll dig up a chart showing best race/class combos later but the worse mana regeneration is Drows and Humans iirc. (I suspect this to get tweaked at some point as there is zero reason to roll a human or Drow caster, its just that painful). Aerobs have freakishly fast mana regen but terrible stamina. Barrower/Dwarfs make the best casters currently imo which is odd...shrug. Some races have special abilities/attack. Saurons can bite, Drakes can claw and breath fire, giants can pummel you with a fist, etc. These can be a huge help at the beginning before weapon skills get decent. Some equipment is race restrictive but I have no idea how that unfolds through the game. Almost all the in game portraits suck so don't let that persuade your decision :)

All i got right now, it's been a few since i really played, i am holding out for V2...any day now. ;)
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Can you give info on the rolling process. Do you keep re-rolling each slot until you are satisfied?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
morlac

Post by morlac »

You get three reroll attempts then you have to back out to pick race again to reset the roll attempts. You want a 30+. It's not too painful. Once attribute prerequisites are meet for your chosen class you get the leftover points to spend on : increasing attributes, HP, MP or skills. Just like Wizardry 8 certain classes/race combos get bonus points to play with so keep that in mind.

there is a chart here:

https://gameplay.tips/guides/860-grimoire.html

Lastly, starting HP and MP are random but influenced by Class, race, sex, attributes. To what extend or variables...who the hell knows. You can get a 35+ roll on fighter but he only has 12 HP to start making you reroll regardless. You could put extra points into starting HP but I hoard those for attributes.
Buatha

Post by Buatha »

On the Steam page:

V2 Grimoire To Be Released First Week Early November 2018!

:D
Buatha

Post by Buatha »

Updated:

V2 Grimoire To Be Released First Week Early Mid in November 2018!
Buatha

Post by Buatha »

Apparently, it's now only $10.

I was checking to see if he ever released the V2 manual (he released an online V1 manual) and noticed the price drop.
morlac

Post by morlac »

It's had 2 or so patches since V2 launched as well. It's still a clusterfuck of ideas and systems but I find it oddly charming. Still not sure I would recommend it unless you really have thing for Wizardry 6-7. It is basically a direct sequel.
Suitably Ironic Moniker

Buatha wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:23 pm Apparently, it's now only $10.

I was checking to see if he ever released the V2 manual (he released an online V1 manual) and noticed the price drop.
I guess it’s not a sale, technically.
MindToyGames

Post by MindToyGames »

I still remember Cleve proudly proclaiming there would never be a discount, that it would always be $30, come rain or shine. So much for that. Even Cleve wasn't a match for Steam.
Derek - Wayward Indie Game Designer/Doer of Many Things/CEO, SimProse Studios
My Steam Developer Clubhouse: https://store.steampowered.com/developer/simprose